GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE 53 AMG Coupe interior - red option question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLE 53 AMG coupe
Question GLE 53 AMG Coupe interior - red option question

Dear members, new here and a BIG hello to all. Looking to order a 2021 GLE 53 AMG coupe with Red interior as in this pic - see attachment.

MBUSA website shows only 2 tone red-black interior but no option of this pepper red one. Can anyone help with order code or design manufaktur options? My dealership is clueless on this red leather choice.

Thank You!

love this red

red its lit!

Last edited by AMGenghis; 09-08-2020 at 01:31 PM. Reason: add more pics
The following users liked this post:
tiri (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE400 W167
Originally Posted by AMGenghis
Dear members, new here and a BIG hello to all. Looking to order a 2021 GLE 53 AMG coupe with Red interior as in this pic - see attachment.

MBUSA website shows only 2 tone red-black interior but no option of this pepper red one. Can anyone help with order code or design manufaktur options? My dealership is clueless on this red leather choice.

Thank You!

love this red

red its lit!
Very nice, UK options are Black or Black
Old 09-09-2020, 04:02 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Mercedes Benz GLE
My guess is these are some demo cars (maybe made under some Manufaktur program) as this interior color is not officially available anywhere in Europe, Russia or even Dubai.
There is also this car available for sale: https://suchen.mobile.de/auto-insera...302611521.html
These are the listed options:
Options:
Paint: 996 designo hyacinth red metallic
Upholstery: 000 Leather Exclusive Designo Classic Red

Last edited by soso; 09-09-2020 at 04:15 AM.
AMGenghis (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 01:52 PM

GLE 53 AMG coupe
Thank you SOSO. The factory is in US for GLE coupe (Alabama) - if these red seats are on demo cars, why not for general order if I am ready to pay? I am spending $107K on a car and would like to my taste and another 5~8% more is ok.

BMW X6/ Porsche Cayenne coupe has full red interior. Cayenne s coupe is $25k more but better to drive and a bit faster. Ohh what to do LOL !
Old 09-09-2020, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,031 Likes on 699 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Thank you SOSO. The factory is in US for GLE coupe (Alabama) - if these red seats are on demo cars, why not for general order if I am ready to pay? I am spending $107K on a car and would like to my taste and another 5~8% more is ok.

BMW X6/ Porsche Cayenne coupe has full red interior. Cayenne s coupe is $25k more but better to drive and a bit faster. Ohh what to do LOL !
I agree, more red looks better...the red door handles look odd to me against the rest that’s all black. I’m OK with the seat combo but like all red better. I’m thinking about changing the door to all black unless it looks better than the pictures. To me, there’s a point that the lack of balanced proportions of color don’t look right. Like I said, I might change my mind.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:33 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Mercedes Benz GLE
I asked the dealer about the red leather and it is custom work and not by Mercedes.
This is their answer:
This car is a regular build car brand new from the factory of Mercedes-Benz. BUT the leather is chanced by us "Luxury Cars Hamburg" by a special Mercedes and Brabus certificated upholsterer here in Germany. So all leather changes are original Mercedes leather and hand build. This make the car special without to change the genuineness of the Mercedes-Benz GLE. The car is here in our Showroom and looks just great with this color combination.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 132 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Wonder what the extra cost for a one off like the A/M?

Trending Topics

Old 09-10-2020, 02:11 PM

Received 342 Likes on 182 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4matic
Cash makes all things possible...just find a place that does custom interiors.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 792 Likes on 511 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580

Thank You!

love this red

red its lit!
This is gorgeous. It is a Designo Manufaktur. Will likely be a $10k option at least that's what they quoted me on the E63S 2 years ago.
AMGenghis (09-13-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C450 AMG
I'm curious about this too. When I tried building on the website there are 2 red/black interiors...one Nappa leather and the other exlclusive Nappa leather. Both look identical so I'm wondering if maybe it's wrong on the site and the 'exclusive' Nappa is actually this one with the diamond pattern. (??)
Old 09-11-2020, 10:27 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4MATIC in Selenite Grey
Love the interior color. I am by no means an expert on this subject but am always interested in the ways that people can customize their vehicles from the factory. There is an interesting video from Mercedes-Benz USA on YouTube that describes the "designo Manufaktur" process (the video even shows a GLE Coupe as one of their examples) and explains near the end that the dealer gets in touch w Mercedes to see what's possible and then if it is the process adds 8-12 weeks to the regular build time. When you build a vehicle on the MBUSA site, my guess is that it isn't going to give you all of the possible designo options because in some ways the possibilities are endless. So for example, if you wanted an exterior color Mercedes offered 15 years ago (that example was mentioned in the video) then it could be a possibility but of course the MBUSA site wouldn't show that option. If your dealer isn't willing or able to find out more, you may want to contact MBUSA customer relations or even the MBUSA corporate office to see if they can get you a meaningful answer. On a side note, one of the other members who made a comment said that the vehicle in the pic you posted has aftermarket upholstery. That sounds plausible, but again that doesn't mean you can't get the same look through the official Mercedes designo process too. Also for info sake, here is a link to the video I mentioned earlier:

melabe2727 (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 586 Posts
N/A
The extra customization designo Manufaktur program is only available at the Bremen and Sindelfingen plants.
The plant where the SUVs are made (Tuscaloosa) currently has no extra customization options available.

The following 2 users liked this post by Eaton:
JEDC1 (09-12-2020), melabe2727 (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Eaton
The extra customization designo Manufaktur program is only available at the Bremen and Sindelfingen plants.
The plant where the SUVs are made (Tuscaloosa) currently has no extra customization options available.

Great information! Thanks for clearing this up. I didn't see this chart anywhere, but I don't feel too bad since it seems no one else did either (including the dealership). It's a shame that the dealer couldn't/wouldn't take the time to obtain this same info for a customer getting ready to spend six figures with them, but I guess that's one of the reasons there end up being forums like this. I noticed when I took another look at the YouTube video I posted that it was a GLC Coupe (not a GLE Coupe) but that being said, it's too bad that someone with the means to have one of the most expensive SUV's in the MB lineup wouldn't be able to have the option of doing factory customization for their vehicle. But as I look over the chart you provided it definitely appears that there is a lot of room for improvement in terms of expanding the availability of this program.

Last edited by JEDC1; 09-12-2020 at 10:22 AM.
AMGenghis (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 01:10 PM

GLE 53 AMG coupe
SOSO - you are right. I reached out to Luxury Cars Hamburg and this is their in house custom upholstery. Sadly, I cannot import the car to US. My German is zero so communication on phone was just too funny.

My dealership in US is so ignorant - it makes me cringe spending six figures on a car and dealing with people who cannot even find information on a custom upholstery job. Why can't he order the leather from Germany and offer it?

Also, has anyone ever dealt with a dealership from Asia? They will do ANYTHING to make customer happy - including arranging a presentation party with dancers and champagne while you take delivery. Russia and Latin America have them too. In US - the dealership would not even look at me seriously. Have to wait 15 minutes to get service. This is my third Benz from them and they cannot even arrange a red ribbon delivery to surprise wife.

This is how your Benz should be delivered:

Old 09-12-2020, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 586 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by JEDC1
Great information! Thanks for clearing this up. I didn't see this chart anywhere, but I don't feel too bad since it seems no one else did either (including the dealership). It's a shame that the dealer couldn't/wouldn't take the time to obtain this same info for a customer getting ready to spend six figures with them, but I guess that's one of the reasons there end up being forums like this. I noticed when I took another look at the YouTube video I posted that it was a GLC Coupe (not a GLE Coupe) but that being said, it's too bad that someone with the means to have one of the most expensive SUV's in the MB lineup wouldn't be able to have the option of doing factory customization for their vehicle. But as I look over the chart you provided it definitely appears that there is a lot of room for improvement in terms of expanding the availability of this program.
Well, it's a dealer ordering guide, and it's only available in their system.
They'd probably be able to find all the details if you told them about it, but they may not bring it up without asking since it's expensive, lengthy, and not widely available.

I've attached it.
Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by Eaton:
AMGenghis (09-12-2020), JEDC1 (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 02:01 PM

Thanks again. That makes me feel much better And thanks for sharing the guide...I find stuff like that so interesting. I shouldn't be surprised at just how expensive these custom options are but it's still a real eye-opener. I'm also surprised Mercedes hasn't expanded the availability of this program to more models and to more items per model but maybe they will in the future.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE AMG 53 Coupe
Bummer

Chiming in here as the subject matter is the same and I didn’t want to start a duplicate thread. In reading the above I understand that the full red seating in the original post with the diamond pattern was an aftermarket custom job...however, the MBUSA site does detail a red interior option that my dealer is saying isn’t being produced just yet:

Red/ black Nappa option from mbusa website

I went in to see my dealer Saturday and had all my options selected - ready to place the order but then he called me back today and said that the red option on the website for the GLE 53 coupe isn’t going into production until summer next year, which would ultimately end up being a 2022 model! Have you guys ever heard of such a thing? Why would they show it on the site if that’s the case?

I was all set for the black metallic/night package/ red interior. , now I don’t know what to do.

bummed out!

Old 11-16-2020, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NYCKING
Chiming in here as the subject matter is the same and I didn’t want to start a duplicate thread. In reading the above I understand that the full red seating in the original post with the diamond pattern was an aftermarket custom job...however, the MBUSA site does detail a red interior option that my dealer is saying isn’t being produced just yet:

Red/ black Nappa option from mbusa website

I went in to see my dealer Saturday and had all my options selected - ready to place the order but then he called me back today and said that the red option on the website for the GLE 53 coupe isn’t going into production until summer next year, which would ultimately end up being a 2022 model! Have you guys ever heard of such a thing? Why would they show it on the site if that’s the case?
I was all set for the black metallic/night package/ red interior. , now I don’t know what to do. bummed out!
It could be that it’s temporarily unavailable. Several of us have it on the GLE SUV, mine just built 2 weeks ago...black/red interior...checked again, it’s the same seat.

Last edited by Ron.s; 11-16-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:36 PM

GLE AMG 53 Coupe
Originally Posted by Ron.s
It could be that it’s temporarily unavailable. Several of us have it on the GLE SUV, mine just built 2 weeks ago...black/red interior...checked again, it’s the same seat.

oh wow, ok cool that’s good to know - let me ask some more questions and figure this out. Thanks!

also congrats on your new build, what exterior did you get?
Old 11-17-2020, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NYCKING
oh wow, ok cool that’s good to know - let me ask some more questions and figure this out. Thanks!

also congrats on your new build, what exterior did you get?
Red exterior. There were two black/red interiors available when I ordered in June. Classic leather and Exclusive Nappa leather.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:35 PM

GLE AMG 53 Coupe
Originally Posted by Ron.s

Just an update here - I was able to successfully place the order today - my dealer went back and for whatever reason the red/black nappa leather option was available, I'm very excited. Here's what I got:

197 Obsidian Black Metallic
857 AMG Classic Red/Black Nappa Leather

Options
DA3 Parking Assist Package
P47 Parking Package
501 Surround View System
DC1 Night Package
P60 AMG Exterior Night Styling
H35 designo Natural Grain Black Wood Trim
RWE 21" AMG Twin 5-Spoke Wheels, Black Accents
L6J AMG Performance Steering Wheel in Nappa Leather
P21 Air Ionization with Air Filter