GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Towing Mirrors for GLE450?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes GLE450
Towing Mirrors for GLE450?

I've just upgraded to a 2020 GLE450 to pull my new Airstream 23' 2021 Flying Cloud. Has anyone out there using the GLE450 as a towing vehicle for a medium to large travel trailer found suitable towing mirrors that can be attached and removed easily? I've had two unsuccessful rounds now with recommended mirrors that were very favorably reviewed. One didn't extend far enough to properly see the back half of the Airstream (MBZ's are more narrow than domestic vehicles) and the other wouldn't attach to the MBZ mirrors.

FWIW -- for those doing this currently popular RV journey... my GVWR on the Airstream is 6,000 pounds, of course I had a factory-installed tow package, I wouldn't drive without a WD hitch (I went with the Equalizer product), I had very good success with the Prodigy RF wireless brake controller, and I'm addicted to the rear-view camera options. Happy to offer inputs on any of my experiences in this journey -- after I get tow mirrors! ~ Tonya
The following users liked this post:
mtg-gle (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,186 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I have used the Milenco Grand Aero mirrors and they are great. Here is a link to the manufacturer in Great Britain - https://www.milenco.com/products/mir...-towing-mirror They are real glass, optically correct, and can be attached so they fold with the mirrors.
The manufacturer does not sell directly to the US, but they are available through various sources in the U.S. Some sources use different brand names, but Grand Aero are the key search words. I have used them on our W164 and W166, but I haven't tried them on our V167 - I can't see why they wouldn't work on the new 450.
The Grand Aero's reach out far enough to satisfy all State laws (I think) requiring being able to see a following vehicle up to pretty close behind your trailer.
But if you need to see that tailgater who is "hiding" behind your rig, you can increase your vision by going with Hensley's McKesh mirrors - https://hensleymfg.com/products/mckesh-mirrors/
We now use the McKesh, WITH the optional round mirror attachments, and we can see the smallest cars behind, even ones tucked up behind the trailer bumper. Another REALLY BIG advantage is that I can also see (all at the same time) the top of the trailer as it approaches overhanging branches, AND the trailer wheels as you crowd a curb or other obstruction. The McKesh's are more cumbersome, so it's a matter of trade-off.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:23 AM

Mercedes GLE450
Thanks, Mikapen. The Grand Aeros were the first ones we tried and they’re everything you describe... but we can’t get them to mount to the GLE mirror housing. We’ve even consulted with a couple of other “more mechanical” RV pals and they couldn’t get them to clip on to the GLE either. There’s just not enough of a “lip” for the mirror to get enough of a hold. :-(

I’ll take a look at that second brand you mentioned (can’t see in phone view). Appreciate the referral... will circle back with follow-up.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 53 2021
Originally Posted by Tonya J. Long
I've just upgraded to a 2020 GLE450 to pull my new Airstream 23' 2021 Flying Cloud. Has anyone out there using the GLE450 as a towing vehicle for a medium to large travel trailer found suitable towing mirrors that can be attached and removed easily? I've had two unsuccessful rounds now with recommended mirrors that were very favorably reviewed. One didn't extend far enough to properly see the back half of the Airstream (MBZ's are more narrow than domestic vehicles) and the other wouldn't attach to the MBZ mirrors.

FWIW -- for those doing this currently popular RV journey... my GVWR on the Airstream is 6,000 pounds, of course I had a factory-installed tow package, I wouldn't drive without a WD hitch (I went with the Equalizer product), I had very good success with the Prodigy RF wireless brake controller, and I'm addicted to the rear-view camera options. Happy to offer inputs on any of my experiences in this journey -- after I get tow mirrors! ~ Tonya
Hi, i have the same kind of coach and a GLE 53 2021 and i’m curious to know if you finally find the right mirroirs? Thanks
Old 12-11-2021, 12:55 PM

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
2021 V167
Mirrors

Mirrors
I too pull an Airstream but not with my GLE. I have a Safari 30 that I use a Suburban to tow with, however I did use my GL350 to tow with it for about 100k miles. Like yourself I tried several brands of mirrors and ended up with a European mirror, they use these in Europe with trailers and many times a MB or Audi tow vehicle.

Repusel Caravan mirrors
www.repusel.com

These extend way out and are stable. I can see both lanes behind me.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Tonya J. Long
Thanks, Mikapen. The Grand Aeros were the first ones we tried and they’re everything you describe... but we can’t get them to mount to the GLE mirror housing. We’ve even consulted with a couple of other “more mechanical” RV pals and they couldn’t get them to clip on to the GLE either. There’s just not enough of a “lip” for the mirror to get enough of a hold. :-(

I’ll take a look at that second brand you mentioned (can’t see in phone view). Appreciate the referral... will circle back with follow-up.
Did you try them on both the top lip and the bottom lip of the mirrors?
I found that the top lip worked better, and allowed the mirrors to fold as one assembly.

I have to admit that I haven't tried the Grand Aeros on the new GLE, but the McKesh's (a Hensley product) work quite well. I do have a concern about the mounting strap getting dirty and scuffing the paint, but it hasn't happened yet.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KrustyKustom
Mirrors
I too pull an Airstream but not with my GLE. I have a Safari 30 that I use a Suburban to tow with, however I did use my GL350 to tow with it for about 100k miles. Like yourself I tried several brands of mirrors and ended up with a European mirror, they use these in Europe with trailers and many times a MB or Audi tow vehicle.

Repusel Caravan mirrors
www.repusel.com

These extend way out and are stable. I can see both lanes behind me.

Hope that helps.
What is the source in the US?
Old 12-11-2021, 01:55 PM

Mercedes GLE450
Originally Posted by Moka1959
Hi, i have the same kind of coach and a GLE 53 2021 and i’m curious to know if you finally find the right mirroirs? Thanks
I did... after three different purchases, someone on the MBZ Forum recommended the McKesh mirrors made by Hensley (the high-end hitch makers). They're pricey - $130 for the pair - but if you research them, you'll find that they have a loyal following, and for good reason.

They're made like a tank. They're removable (once I got comfortable with them, I can install the pair in about 6-7 minutes). They're HUGE. It's not the "size" of the mirrors that is the issue -- it's how far out from the vehicle they go so that you can get a view of the back corner of your trailer. These things are like gull-wings. But I'll tell you, I can clearly see the back tires and now I can back into spaces, etc. far better because of those mirrors. (I have a 2021 Airstream, so I already had a rear-view camera -- the mirrors are absolutely essential to helping back your rig effectively, IMO.)

We've paid a lot for our tow vehicles and our RVs. I don't think the price of the mirrors is unreasonable, considering how much we've invested in the base equipment. And these are essential items to a safe driving (and backing in!) experience. Here's the link: McKesh Towing Mirrors on Hensley site
Old 12-11-2021, 02:05 PM

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
2021 V167
Repusel

Originally Posted by mikapen
What is the source in the US?
They ship to the US. When I ordered them they had them on Amazon Europe. Took about two weeks to get to me but well worth it..

Old 12-12-2021, 09:12 AM

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
Did you try them on both the top lip and the bottom lip of the mirrors?
I found that the top lip worked better, and allowed the mirrors to fold as one assembly.

I have to admit that I haven't tried the Grand Aeros on the new GLE, but the McKesh's (a Hensley product) work quite well. I do have a concern about the mounting strap getting dirty and scuffing the paint, but it hasn't happened yet.
I use the smaller Aero and they fit the mirror on the top edge. I also extended them out another 6 inches to see down the side of the
Airstream easier.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:28 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLE450 / 2008 C300
I have used the Milenco Grand Aero mirrors and they are great. Here is a link to the manufacturer in Great Britain - https://www.milenco.com/products/mir...-towing-mirror They are real glass, optically correct, and can be attached so they fold with the mirrors.
The manufacturer does not sell directly to the US, but they are available through various sources in the U.S. Some sources use different brand names, but Grand Aero are the key search words. I have used them on our W164 and W166, but I haven't tried them on our V167 - I can't see why they wouldn't work on the new 450.
I second the recommendation of these mirrors. Bought mine at local (US) RV dealer under Dometic brand name. They work fine on a 2021 GLE 450.

.......David