GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Seat comfort?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 12:21 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
GLE580, Cardinal Red
Seat comfort?

The main reason we are considering a GLE to replace our existing Audi SQ5 is that the SQ5 seats are too firm for us (sport seats) and uncomfortable on road trips. Have seen a couple of posts here that find the GLE seats to also be uncomfortable... We're going to do a 'sit test' this afternoon to judge ourselves, perhaps also do a road test to get the seat feel while underway. Our ML550 (10 years ago) seats were probably the best vehicle seats we ever had. Hoping the GLE seats can match that comfort level.

Anyone have strong feelings either way (positive or negative)?
Old 01-09-2021, 12:33 PM

Received 134 Likes on 101 Posts
2023 GLE63S - Edition 55
I find the seats in my 2020 GLE450 extremely comfortable. No complaints here.
The following users liked this post:
earlvolfan (01-10-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 12:39 PM

GLE580, Cardinal Red
Thanks for the input. Our Audi seats are just too firm. Even our service advisor says the change to the new seats is noticeable when different year vehicles come in for service.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I have both and don't find the Audi Sport Seats or Mercedes Multi Contour to be uncomfortable. A soft seat may feel better around town but after a few hours start hurting your back. There is a lot of adjustment in Mercedes seats not present with our Audi. There are also two different Mercedes
seats.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Seat comfort

Originally Posted by tomb73
The main reason we are considering a GLE to replace our existing Audi SQ5 is that the SQ5 seats are too firm for us (sport seats) and uncomfortable on road trips. Have seen a couple of posts here that find the GLE seats to also be uncomfortable... We're going to do a 'sit test' this afternoon to judge ourselves, perhaps also do a road test to get the seat feel while underway. Our ML550 (10 years ago) seats were probably the best vehicle seats we ever had. Hoping the GLE seats can match that comfort level.

My wife and I both thought the Dinamica Sport seats in our 2020 GLE 450 were not as comfortable as the ones in our 2012 ML. However, after of 1 1/2 years with them now they seem fine. Have taken several long trips with no issues.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:49 PM

Received 403 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
If you want comfortable seats, try the multi contour seats with massage and the rapid warm seat package that heats the door armrests and center armrest. I have it, and haven’t heard a complaint yet. In fact, after a 12 Hour drive in a Mitsubishi Outlander, my mother-in-law went and set in our Mercedes to try the seat massage because her back was sore and she fell asleep in our garage. She said the seats were heavenly.
The following users liked this post:
earlvolfan (01-10-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
Originally Posted by TexAg91
If you want comfortable seats, try the multi contour seats with massage and the rapid warm seat package that heats the door armrests and center armrest. I have it, and haven’t heard a complaint yet. In fact, after a 12 Hour drive in a Mitsubishi Outlander, my mother-in-law went and set in our Mercedes to try the seat massage because her back was sore and she fell asleep in our garage. She said the seats were heavenly.
Go try them for yourself since everybody's body is going to be a little different than yours. I have the multi contour seats with the massage feature and find them more firm than I would like. I love the rapid heat feature!! I find that when I turn that on I am lowering the setting very shortly after leaving my garage. The cooling feature is also better than any vehicle I have ever owned. I have taken my GLE on one 900 mile trip and the only thing that got me through it was the massage feature. I prefer the seats in the three Lexus 450RXh's that I have owned.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:23 PM

GLE580, Cardinal Red
Thanks, Ron.s, we had a 2014 Audi SQ5 and those seats were fine. Long road trips were not problematic. Traded it in on a 2018 and the 'sport seats' got much firmer and less comfortable (for us, of course it is all subjective, but our service advisor also commented on it). Both my wife and I find that after a bit of driving on our road trips we are squirming and shifting to get comfortable... Sigh. Actually paid a car upholstery company to adjust the padding, but still find after a couple of hours my legs ache and other parts of our anatomy (which shall remain nameless) are unhappy. Not particularly the back....

Just got back from sitting in a GLE580, and doing a brief test ride (was surprised they actually had one to drive, I think it had just arrived yesterday). My wife found them still a little firm, though it was a brand new vehicle, so am 'assuming' that there would be a break in period... Was not the multi-contour seats, but the sales associate though there was very little difference beween regular seats and multi-contour, except for the massage feature. The dealership offered a GLE350 as a loaner to do an extended test drive (up to 100 miles, which sadly is not a lot here in North Texas) to get a better feel for seat comfort over time. May take them up on it next week. Am also considering the BMW x5 M50i, which builds out a little less than the GLE580. Will go test out the seats in an X5 next week.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:40 PM

Received 134 Likes on 101 Posts
2023 GLE63S - Edition 55
Thanks, Ron.s, we had a 2014 Audi SQ5 and those seats were fine. Long road trips were not problematic. Traded it in on a 2018 and the 'sport seats' got much firmer and less comfortable (for us, of course it is all subjective, but our service advisor also commented on it). Both my wife and I find that after a bit of driving on our road trips we are squirming and shifting to get comfortable... Sigh. Actually paid a car upholstery company to adjust the padding, but still find after a couple of hours my legs ache and other parts of our anatomy (which shall remain nameless) are unhappy. Not particularly the back....

Just got back from sitting in a GLE580, and doing a brief test ride (was surprised they actually had one to drive, I think it had just arrived yesterday). My wife found them still a little firm, though it was a brand new vehicle, so am 'assuming' that there would be a break in period... Was not the multi-contour seats, but the sales associate though there was very little difference beween regular seats and multi-contour, except for the massage feature. The dealership offered a GLE350 as a loaner to do an extended test drive (up to 100 miles, which sadly is not a lot here in North Texas) to get a better feel for seat comfort over time. May take them up on it next week. Am also considering the BMW x5 M50i, which builds out a little less than the GLE580. Will go test out the seats in an X5 next week.
I've owned several BMWs over the years so the X5 was a natural option for me. I took one for a test drive before deciding on the 450; I liked the car, the interior was nice and the seats were comfortable. The deal breaker for me was the digital dash... the BMW is nothing compared to the Mercedes... In the showroom it looked pretty good but outside in the sun the panel brightness, color and sharpness was very lacking. There are very few customization options and the 360 degree camera isn't as good as the MB. I would be curious to hear your feedback after you take it for a drive. The X5 is a very good looking vehicle, there are days when I see one nicely equipped and I have a brief moment of regret then I remember these issues and I'm smiling again...
Old 01-09-2021, 07:16 PM

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
2021 GLE580, 2022 BMW X5, 2022 911GTS Incoming
+1 We picked up ours today and drove back 5 hours. No complaints, love the kinetic seat program.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 GLE 450 + 2019 Audi eTron

i am not a fan of these seats. I have the massage feature as well. I find these seats very firm and uncomfortable on long trips. When I make long trips I bring seat pads for my wife and I. This is my 3rd Benz. I has a 2014 ML and a 2017 GLE and those seats were amazing. I feel the new model has much less padding and harsh. I know many will disagree with me, but everyone has their personal preference.

good luck with your research.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:45 PM

Received 403 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by jcapotos
i am not a fan of these seats. I have the massage feature as well. I find these seats very firm and uncomfortable on long trips. When I make long trips I bring seat pads for my wife and I. This is my 3rd Benz. I has a 2014 ML and a 2017 GLE and those seats were amazing. I feel the new model has much less padding and harsh. I know many will disagree with me, but everyone has their personal preference.

just out of curiosity, have you tried adjusting the bolster hardness on the MBUX screen, in addition to adjusting the controls on the door? It has that weird graph that you can move by dragging your finger on the screen, which will change the inflation in the side bolsters, seat bottom, back, etc?
Old 01-10-2021, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
just out of curiosity, have you tried adjusting the bolster hardness on the MBUX screen, in addition to adjusting the controls on the door? It has that weird graph that you can move by dragging your finger on the screen, which will change the inflation in the side bolsters, seat bottom, back, etc?
That has changed in 2021 or at least it has on my 53. It’s now two separate selections vs the arcing graph.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 GLE 450 + 2019 Audi eTron
thanks for your reply.
Yes. I tried all adjustments. I just feel the new seats have been trimmed down too much. I enjoy everything else about this car and have been a loyal MB fan.. I just feel they got the seats wrong.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by jcapotos

Everybody is different. I couldn't wait to get out of our '14 ML350 because of its seats. And I think the 2020 GLE450 were among the best I've owned.
It always takes several hundred miles to dial in the seating position - I wouldn't pass judgement until I take a 500 mile trip.