GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Installing the MB dash-cam

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2021 | 05:14 AM

GLE (167)
Installing the MB dash-cam

Hi folks,
So I have purchased the MB front and rear dash-cam, along with the harness, memory card etc.
However, there are no instructions on how to install the harness. I am an electronics engineer so I could cut-off the connectors and find suitable sources for the wiring (eventually) but I would much rather install this as it is supposed to be.
I have been advised by the supplier that the details are in the Mercedes WIS database, but obviously don’t have access to it. Has anyone on the forum installed this harness before? Or know how and where it’s connected. The harness setup part number is A213 820 93 03.
I have a new GLE late 2019 (167).. I know that they are now releasing them with the dash-cam app via MBUX if you have the org reality in the car (which mine does), but mine only has a grey’d out option in the mbux when entering in engineering mode. Maybe in the future they may integrate into a software release? However, I need the setup in the car for some long journeys I have planned... COVID allowing!
So any advice on the harness installation from anyone would be grateful.
The following 3 users liked this post by kmas100:
Catalyn (12-14-2022), Lanzz (02-04-2021), yurong8877 (12-15-2022)
Old 02-04-2021 | 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Dash cam installation

Originally Posted by kmas100
Hi folks,
So I have purchased the MB front and rear dash-cam, along with the harness, memory card etc.
However, there are no instructions on how to install the harness. I am an electronics engineer so I could cut-off the connectors and find suitable sources for the wiring (eventually) but I would much rather install this as it is supposed to be.
I have been advised by the supplier that the details are in the Mercedes WIS database, but obviously don’t have access to it. Has anyone on the forum installed this harness before? Or know how and where it’s connected. The harness setup part number is A213 820 93 03.
I have a new GLE late 2019 (167).. I know that they are now releasing them with the dash-cam app via MBUX if you have the org reality in the car (which mine does), but mine only has a grey’d out option in the mbux when entering in engineering mode. Maybe in the future they may integrate into a software release? However, I need the setup in the car for some long journeys I have planned... COVID allowing!
Seems like your dealer should be willing to print out the WIS instructions?
Old 02-04-2021 | 01:05 PM

GLE (167)
Well the challenge I have is that you cannot use them over here in Cyprus.. the dealerships will not fit them, although many people use them!
For my use, as I travel frequently across Europe .. hence I would like to install them
Old 02-04-2021 | 04:29 PM

GLE (167)
Here is the complete kit...
It includes:
1) The front and rear camera units
2) 2x window sticky pads for camera mount units
3) Wiring harness
4) Memory card (installed on the front camera unit

The connections on the harness are what I would like to identify, they are:
a) Red wire - must be +Ve supply, (unknown if it should be switched or not)
b) Black - Earth
c) Thin wire with blue connector - unknown.
d) Also supplied with a separate blue connector and a separate 25 fuse

hope someone can help...

Old 02-04-2021 | 05:34 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Hi folks,
Here in the USA to use the built-in dash cam you first need to have a thumb drive plugged into one of the ports. Then the icon will not be greyed out--no need to go into engineering mode, you should see the icon in the apps portion of MBUX.
Old 02-04-2021 | 08:32 PM

'17 CLA250 (former), '21 GLE450 (current)
Sorry for hijacking with a question that doesn't really help you, but I have a quick question. Does the MB Dashcam record while parked and the car is off?
Old 02-04-2021 | 09:27 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by spaceman84
Sorry for hijacking with a question that doesn't really help you, but I have a quick question. Does the MB Dashcam record while parked and the car is off?
no and no.
Old 02-05-2021 | 01:16 AM

GLE (167)
Hi jtjbt20x, yes I am aware that the very latest releases here in Europe can now be ordered (but only very recently, hence none about) with the dash cam option. Up to now, all previous versions after May 2019... if you have MBUX and augmented reality as it uses the front camera (not sure about the back), you do have the option it seems to switch it on via the engineering mode screen... although you cant yet. The US it seems are the first to actually deliver the product in the cars and therefore you also have a dashcam icon on the MBUX screen which is greyed out until you fit the drive/ memory storage, then it’s active via a quick use setup and off you go... In Europe none of these even have the icon, it looks as if we may be retro fitted with a release of MBUX Code at some time?
Hence I have purchased the MB front and back camera’s setup which is still recommended by MB for the Europe cars. This product DOES have the option to switch on if the car experiences a bump or night parking etc.. I recall reading that in the manual.
My car was bought in the UK and was one of the first there... being registered in April 2019 by MB, used as a demo car... it have every conceivable gadget but hence no dash cam option!
Old 02-05-2021 | 01:27 AM

GLE (167)
Hi spaceman 84, I don’t know if the in-built release of dash-cam arrangement does, but the accessory units certainly do..
here is the page in the manual.. apologies for the poor picture quality

Old 02-05-2021 | 05:39 AM

GLE 53 w167
Dashcam is disabled

This is how it looks in my car (Swedish market built Feb 2020), Dashcam is disabled, but how to enable it, that is the question...

Old 12-14-2022 | 04:20 PM

Mercedes A180 SE
Same problem

Hi folks,

Did you solved the problem ?
Old 03-23-2023 | 11:01 PM

2023 GLC 300 4MATIC
I checked with my local dealership in Toronto and they quoted about 1000 CAD for the dashcam (front and rear) and another 2000 CAD for installation over 2-3 days !!!! However, it seems Mercedes allows using the front camera (used for AR navigation) as a dashcam, as shown here
. However, this seems to be unavailable in Canada, even though my GLB has the front camera.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2024 | 11:32 AM

c43
So has anyone worked out the wiring to this Dashcam?
I am guessing that the red wire (with two fuses) is permanent 12V and
the thin blue wire is switched 12V via ignition?
or am I wrong?
cheers John