GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2021 GLE 450 checking oil level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 11:58 AM

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by mikapen
I haven't worked at AECOM, but I have worked with EPA onsite in the Ann Arbor test facility, on both mobile and fixed source emissions testing, and methods. And with Region 8 on other Air and Water Quality issues.

I am VERY familiar with e-testing. Dipsticks and other crankcase leaks are measured during the testing procedure. BTW this includes transmission and differential vents, not just dipsticks. I'm sure you have heard of Charcoal Canisters, which have been around for decades - an early version of containing non-combustion emissions sources. That emphasis hasn't gone away.

Your analogy about the Fire Ants is appropriate. Fire Ants can take down an elephant, and the EPA counts those ants.
A manufacturer that doesn't pay attention to all emissions sources, especially in this day of "eliminate ICE's," probably is on the way out.

Mercedes has put a lot of money into designing their oil change procedures, dipstick replacement, and related consumables - Germany is much stricter than the US on their Tier XX requirements. It's certainly NOT a cost-saving measure.

edit to add: And my earlier comment about underhood aerodynamics applies here, too. Making an access to the dipstick, and the structure itself, is a consideration. As engines get more compact, that airflow becomes more important.
Didn't think about the emission piece and the eliminate ICE mentality....valid points, you're probably right.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by djer
Yeah we got our first no-dipstick experience back in 2007 on the first E70 X5, it was weird to not be able to pop the hood and check/see/smell the oil. I guess the car was never meant to be DIY'ed lol.
I agree.
My first "no dipstick' car was our '03 C240, which required the car to sit for a few minutes before it reported an oil level. Service intervals also varied according to usage - short hops would have you coming in sooner, and all highway mileage would delay the oil change. Mercedes has abandoned that algorithm, and now sticks to mileage and time, not driving habits.

I miss a dipstick, especially knowing the smell and feel of the oil.
But I used to keep cars for a few hundred thousand miles, and now I'm less enthusiastic over 100,000 miles on any modern car.