GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Brand new car. Check engine light came on within 24hrs.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLE350
Brand new car. Check engine light came on within 24hrs.

I picked up a brand new 2021 GLE350 on Saturday and drove it home. On Sunday took it out for a drive and the check engine light came on. Took it back to the dealership on Monday and they have been running diagnostics all day (can see engine/doors/hood etc. opened and closed via Mercedes Me app) but so far no verdict on the issue. It must be more serious than a gas cap not screwed on properly. Pretty sad and disappointed. I should be focusing on “break in” the car but car is actually “broken”

Last edited by Hanford; 03-22-2021 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Shortening title
The following users liked this post:
CyrusD (05-01-2022)
Old 03-22-2021, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,492 Likes on 985 Posts
No more MB:(
Oh oh. Not again.
E55Greasemonkey (05-08-2022)
Old 03-22-2021, 05:21 PM

GLE350
I should be spending time enjoying my new car instead I am spending time worrying what’s wrong with the car
Old 03-22-2021, 05:21 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by Hanford
I picked up a brand new 2021 GLE350 on Saturday and drove it home. On Sunday took it out for a drive and the check engine light came on. Took it back to the dealership on Monday and they have been running diagnostics all day (can see engine/doors/hood etc. opened and closed via Mercedes Me app) but so far no verdict on the issue. It must be more serious than a gas cap not screwed on properly. Pretty sad and disappointed. I should be focusing on “break in” the car but car is actually “broken”
Good luck, let us know how it goes please. What kind of loaner did you get?
Old 03-22-2021, 05:26 PM

GLE350
Got a C300 sedan as a loaner.
Dealership just called and said they need to keep the car for another day to do more diagnostics. Initial verdict is the factory overfilled engine oil and it triggered a sensor when the oil expand when engine got hot or there is a faulty sensor.
I don’t know why they didn’t catch it with the pre-delivery inspection. Aren’t they supposed to check the engine oil??
Old 03-22-2021, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Got a C300 sedan as a loaner.
Dealership just called and said they need to keep the car for another day to do more diagnostics. Initial verdict is the factory overfilled engine oil and it triggered a sensor when the oil expand when engine got hot or there is a faulty sensor.
I don’t know why they didn’t catch it with the pre-delivery inspection. Aren’t they supposed to check the engine oil??
I would think factory oil fill is highly automated - not likely that could occur.
BACnMercedes (03-30-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 06:01 PM

Received 343 Likes on 183 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4matic
My 2020 GLE350 displayed a check engine light at about 250 miles. Took it back to the stealer and they "fixed" something trivial. I don't remember what it was, but it took them a week, When I picked it up, the light came back on before I got home. The second time they had it for almost 2 weeks, waiting for parts. A charcoal canister and some tubing were replaced. It's been totally flawless ever since. I know how you feel, the stealer had it more than I did during the first month of ownership and I was not a happy boy! Thankfully I've not had any other problems and learned to really like this car. Hang in there.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:35 PM

GLE350
Originally Posted by Lucky 777
My 2020 GLE350 displayed a check engine light at about 250 miles. Took it back to the stealer and they "fixed" something trivial. I don't remember what it was, but it took them a week, When I picked it up, the light came back on before I got home. The second time they had it for almost 2 weeks, waiting for parts. A charcoal canister and some tubing were replaced. It's been totally flawless ever since. I know how you feel, the stealer had it more than I did during the first month of ownership and I was not a happy boy! Thankfully I've not had any other problems and learned to really like this car. Hang in there.
Fingers crossed that I don’t have to bring it in for a 2nd time. My check engine light came on at 77km so virtually a brand new car.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,988 Likes on 3,135 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Fingers crossed that I don’t have to bring it in for a 2nd time. My check engine light came on at 77km so virtually a brand new car.
Sorry to hear. If you are able/willing when the vehicle comes back to you, can you please post a copy of the service invoice with your personal information redacted? It will help others with their vehicles.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:28 PM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
I have a GLE , however on my daughter’s GLB her CEL went on and she too had to have her charcoal canister and purge valve replaced. It was a big job when reading the bill/ summary of what was done , dropped gas tank , removed muffler, cleaned floor boards and more. Someone at dealership said that she has seen several cars in for the same problem and there may be a service recall.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I don't trust "someone at the dealership said." We have multiple posts like that on many threads, and most don't seem to bear fruit. But they are repeated often by the "usual suspects" who then claim that it's irrefutable proof that M-B's are trash, because they've repeated it so often.
I'd dig deeper if it's my car.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:01 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
When I referred to “someone at the dealership said “ , this is an individual who sees all the services done on every vehicle. She is in an excellent position to perhaps see any trend of a particular repair. The repair becomes more obvious when it requires 2 days to complete and a loaner car is provided. I was simply reaching out to see if other MB devotees may have experienced the same problem. I don’t see where I claim irrefutably that MB is junk as you mentioned. This is our 5th MB , for me to think that a MB is junk and continue to buy them would truly be an insane thing to do. Perhaps I am not as sensitive about my MB as some contributors on this site my be, my son has a BMW and I still love him. Seriously speaking, when I get into my brand new GLE it makes me feel real good, I hope everyone enjoys his car as much as I do.
The following 5 users liked this post by Bryce1023:
chassis (03-30-2021), jsa1983 (04-21-2021), Lanzz (03-30-2021), places (03-30-2021), Timmay (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Bryce1023
When I referred to “someone at the dealership said “ , this is an individual who sees all the services done on every vehicle. She is in an excellent position to perhaps see any trend of a particular repair. The repair becomes more obvious when it requires 2 days to complete and a loaner car is provided. I was simply reaching out to see if other MB devotees may have experienced the same problem. I don’t see where I claim irrefutably that MB is junk as you mentioned. This is our 5th MB , for me to think that a MB is junk and continue to buy them would truly be an insane thing to do. Perhaps I am not as sensitive about my MB as some contributors on this site my be, my son has a BMW and I still love him. Seriously speaking, when I get into my brand new GLE it makes me feel real good, I hope everyone enjoys his car as much as I do.
I should have been more clear that you aren't one of "the usual suspects" who take any hearsay comment as an opportunity to bash the Brand.
It sounds like your source is more reliable than some of the tales we see on this forum.
I think this is our 5th M-B also. Our fourth was a disaster and we came back - hope your problem is transient.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Another one for Chrisss9
Old 05-03-2022, 02:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2022 GLE 53 AMG

just went trough a similar situation with my 2022 GLE 53 , difference was they fixed it in 1 day . They said it was a cracked EVAP line to the charcoal canister . Defective from the factory .
Old 05-06-2022, 01:49 PM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
SUV
Man... reading these threads I don't know if I should be excited about the car coming. This will be our first MB and wife is always worried she would not be able to go pick up our son.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:13 PM

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts
2022 GLE450
Forums are full of extremes. I would not be worried. You will see some people here try and stir it up. Ignore that nonsense.
Old 05-06-2022, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mb2be
Man... reading these threads I don't know if I should be excited about the car coming. This will be our first MB and wife is always worried she would not be able to go pick up our son.
Pick your brand, go visit their forums, and you'll see a litany of complaints. The last couple of years hasn't been good for availability, or patience.

Some people vent, some are always bad-mouthing a brand, while others are looking for answers.

Unfortunately for those looking for answers, people in the first two categories seem to dominate far too many discussions.
Fortunately, their numbers are few, although their posts can be many.

These days it seems like a newbies task is to identify those first two categories, and give them less credibility.

Such is the life on the web.

Last edited by mikapen; 05-06-2022 at 04:16 PM.
haibieb (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Here's a real tale of woe. My brand new AMG GTR which I was lucky to get and waited a year for broke down in Vegas and was stuck blocking traffic in the valet at the Aria for over four hours. Little long but an interesting read for any who care to check it out.

https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...n-t-towed.html
Old 05-06-2022, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:43 PM

Received 343 Likes on 183 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4matic
You won't find anyone on a forum complaining that their car has never had a problem and they are missing out on the stale donuts at the service department. As useful as enthusiast forums like this are, they generally reflect a disproportionate representation of the amount of issues that are occurring. My problems out of the gate were apparently part of an unfortunate batch of defective charcoal canisters Mercedes received early on as I've seen a few others report the exact same issue. The same thing applies to a run of defective 48 volt batteries in the 450's with the with the notable difference that at least a defective charcoal canister didn't require a flatbed. There are a few haters lurking who only post when they see an opportunity to denigrate what is by most reasonable standards, a car that's for the most part no more problematic than any other mass produced product of high complexity during a global pandemic and supply chain collapse. It sucks when something goes wrong but MB will get it fixed and life goes on.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lucky 777:
brad_saggy (05-06-2022), hutch300 (05-06-2022), TempeAndy (05-08-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 09:24 PM

Received 201 Likes on 143 Posts
2021 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
You won't find anyone on a forum complaining that their car has never had a problem and they are missing out on the stale donuts at the service department. As useful as enthusiast forums like this are, they generally reflect a disproportionate representation of the amount of issues that are occurring. My problems out of the gate were apparently part of an unfortunate batch of defective charcoal canisters Mercedes received early on as I've seen a few others report the exact same issue. The same thing applies to a run of defective 48 volt batteries in the 450's with the with the notable difference that at least a defective charcoal canister didn't require a flatbed. There are a few haters lurking who only post when they see an opportunity to denigrate what is by most reasonable standards, a car that's for the most part no more problematic than any other mass produced product of high complexity during a global pandemic and supply chain collapse. It sucks when something goes wrong but MB will get it fixed and life goes on.
^^^ This ^^^

On the other hand, we’ve bough two GLEs last summer and have had zero issues with either one in almost a year of use.
Unfortunately, in forums, a lot of the folks that post are the ones having issues.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
It sucks when something goes wrong but MB will TRY TO get it fixed and life goes on.
There, I fixed your post.
Neurobit (05-06-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 06:47 AM

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts
2021 GLE 350, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2023 Polestar 2, '73 Alfa GTV
Originally Posted by Neurobit
^^^ This ^^^

On the other hand, we’ve bough two GLEs last summer and have had zero issues with either one in almost a year of use.
Unfortunately, in forums, a lot of the folks that post are the ones having issues.
We have 4600 miles on our '21 GLE now, picked it up last September. Zero issues other than a puncture fixed FOC by America's Tires. Great car overall.
Neurobit (05-08-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 03:17 PM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
SUV
Originally Posted by mikapen
Pick your brand, go visit their forums, and you'll see a litany of complaints. The last couple of years hasn't been good for availability, or patience.
Some people vent, some are always bad-mouthing a brand, while others are looking for answers.
Unfortunately for those looking for answers, people in the first two categories seem to dominate far too many discussions.
Fortunately, their numbers are few, although their posts can be many.
These days it seems like a newbies task is to identify those first two categories, and give them less credibility.
Such is the life on the web.
I hear what you're saying.... I'm not new to this world, just new to MB. I've been on Lexus and BMW over 10 years. I may need to filter out who is whom here but in any case a new vehicle with an engine light on is certainly something that is out of the norm regardless how often it happens and which brand. I do see many happy owners here and new GLEs on the roads around me so this is probably isolated issues. We change cars before warranty expires so in any case it shouldn't be an issue for us. Just not very comfortable reading these when the car is coming.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brand new car. Check engine light came on within 24hrs.