GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Burmester Audio Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 09:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 GLS 450
Question Burmester Audio Upgrades

Have you guys made any audio upgrades? I have a GLS with the standard (non-3D surround) Burmester system, and I would like more punch from the bass. This system can't produce some sounds in tracks that you can hear in a decent pair of headphones.

I'm thinking of adding the MATCH UP W8MB-S4 plug and play replacements footwell subwoofers. I don't want to give up any cargo space with a sub box in the rear.

What changes have you made? What issues have you come across?
Old 05-12-2021, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
2021 GLE 450
I have a 2021 GLE450 and was going to do a full upgrade, but have since decided to order a 2022 S-Class and trade in the GLE when it comes in. I ordered Blam speakers for the four doors and footwell bass', and Match for the 3 surrounds. I also had installed a subwoofer that bolts in the well of the spare tire. All except the rear doors and rear surrounds were installed and at the time only running on the factory Burmester amplifier. The system was much better, but without a more powerful amp, it still did not have crisp drums for example.

Instead of proceeding to complete the job (since I am getting a sedan), I had the new speakers replaced with the originals. Going back to the original speakers was VERY noticeable. It wasn't a waste though, I learned a lot.

Upgrading the kickwell speakers did not give a dramatic improvement. The spare-tire subwoofer, although stealth, was not what I hoped for. It was not that "clean", ran warm, and sometimes the protection circuit kicked in.

I was like you and didn't want to give up cargo space, but I am going to find a nice small (real) box and a proper sub amp. Compromise did not pay off.

You can replace just the front door speakers with high quality ones and add a real subwoofer box and amp. That should be a big improvement, but if still not enough, you could replace more speakers and add an amp. Adding an amp may be tricky though. If the factory system detects changes or a bad speaker, it may shut down to protect itself. A high end installer is a must. I realize you don't want a sub box, but changing out the kickwell speakers or even a cheap external subwoofer is not worth the effort. With those, you will get bass and volume, but not the good sound quality. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Vegas Benz; 05-12-2021 at 11:13 AM. Reason: grammer
The following 3 users liked this post by Vegas Benz:
EMEIVI (11-12-2021), MBguy013 (05-12-2021), mikapen (05-12-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,550 Likes on 1,138 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
@Vegas Benz Thanks for the update. I was about to look for an installer whose products (and taste) seemed worthy.
After another few hours over the weekend in our AMG53 with the plain Burmester, listening to various sources and tweaking the settings, I am convinced that the Burmester 3D in our previous 450 was in another league. And in another league compared to systems in other high-end manufacturers' cars. Yes, before we purchased the GLE last year, I had Salespeople around the area on alert for when a car with their high-end sound would arrive on the lot - they'd call and I'd take my source material and go listen. Audi, VW, Porsche, Range Rover, Cadillac, Lincoln, BMW, Volvo, Alpha got listened to, and the Burmester was a factor in choosing M-B. Unfortunately my special order '21 AMG order got locked without the 3D. Normally I would have refused the car, but given the pandemic I decided to take delivery. It's a Very Nice Car with average sound. Drat! But I had turned in my trade, and I was without a ride for six months as it was.

I would spend hours in the 2020 450, listening to the 3D system, getting massaged - in my private listening room. Kind of like my home system but without distractions. Sometimes on the road, sometimes in the garage. The system is that good. Plenty of definition, focus, low distortion, nice time-alignment and lack of phase shift, and plenty of slam when the music called for it. The VIP focus seat is stunning.

I was considering a speaker upgrade, but I am doubting if that would be a big enough difference to bring full enjoyment to the listening experience. Your feedback kind of reinforces this. I don't think the attributes I mentioned in the previous paragraph can be achieved with a simple speaker switch.

Now I'm actually considering ordering a new car just to get the Burmester 3D. Seems kind of silly for that to be such a big deal, but few things have influenced me as much over the years, as have responsive performance and fine stereo. I hope I get over this phase!
Old 05-12-2021, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by mikapen
I was considering a speaker upgrade, but I am doubting if that would be a big enough difference to bring full enjoyment to the listening experience. Your feedback kind of reinforces this. I don't think the attributes I mentioned in the previous paragraph can be achieved with a simple speaker switch.

Now I'm actually considering ordering a new car just to get the Burmester 3D. Seems kind of silly for that to be such a big deal, but few things have influenced me as much over the years, as have responsive performance and fine stereo. I hope I get over this phase!
I had a 2006 Lexus with a Mark Levenson sound system. It sounded very good and adding a sub made it fairly complete. This Burmester system is no where near as good sounding. Replacing speakers with good ones and an amp integrated by a professional installer is going to cost, but you can design a system to your tastes, be it volume, sound quality, or even reliability. Although the Levenson sounded good, the speakers were cheap and many failed over time. Of course they had some weird impedance that made it difficult to get aftermarket replacements.

I like my music loud. For that I think most factory systems will be inadequate, but for sound quality, some of the factory high end systems might be ok. You need to look at your needs, but even a major first class install should be less expensive then buying a new car, and you can dictate the equipment quality and what you are after as far as sound.

Like I recommended to the original poster, replacing the front door speakers will make a noticeable difference but replacing the under dash speakers will not add enough bass to make it worthwhile. If he decided to do more like add a sub and sub amplifier and even an amplifier for the door speakers, nothing would be wasted, you simply would add the next step. Planning is important so you don't have to replace stuff you already bought to go forward. My only bad (or wrong) decision was the spare tire sub.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,550 Likes on 1,138 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Vegas Benz
I had a 2006 Lexus with a Mark Levenson sound system. It sounded very good and adding a sub made it fairly complete. This Burmester system is no where near as good sounding. Replacing speakers with good ones and an amp integrated by a professional installer is going to cost, but you can design a system to your tastes, be it volume, sound quality, or even reliability. Although the Levenson sounded good, the speakers were cheap and many failed over time. Of course they had some weird impedance that made it difficult to get aftermarket replacements.

I like my music loud. For that I think most factory systems will be inadequate, but for sound quality, some of the factory high end systems might be ok. You need to look at your needs, but even a major first class install should be less expensive then buying a new car, and you can dictate the equipment quality and what you are after as far as sound.

Like I recommended to the original poster, replacing the front door speakers will make a noticeable difference but replacing the under dash speakers will not add enough bass to make it worthwhile. If he decided to do more like add a sub and sub amplifier and even an amplifier for the door speakers, nothing would be wasted, you simply would add the next step. Planning is important so you don't have to replace stuff you already bought to go forward. My only bad (or wrong) decision was the spare tire sub.
All of the systems I "auditioned," including the Mark Levinson, had a whole bunch of time smear. Levinson is now part of the Harmon Group, which has turned from a fine car audio brand into just OK over the past decade. Too bad, but these mergers are ruining our audio choices.

My point is, that while just changing speakers may improve punch or clarity, it does nothing to help shoddy time alignment, which to me is the most disturbing sonic artifact. The most amazing thing about the Burmester 3d is how much that time alignment clicks into place, when you use the VIP Seat mode. Clearly, the amp is compensating for timing, and the 3D system a perfect way to demonstrate in-pase vs. out-of-phase.
I know some of the high end aftermarket systems, including the Match and Brax DSP, offer time alignment. And some of the high-end sound systems DO use microphone arrays throughout a flagship car's interior to develop systems, but only on one model, AFAIK. Other models than that flagship, just use the same speakers and don't apply the time-alignment. Dynaudio and B&O are examples.

To most people, these timey things are not noticed, but boy do they affect the listening experience. It's most often noticed as "Listener Fatigue," or the urge to turn down the volume because it just sounds bad. Testimonial - the Burmester 3D can be listened to at 105 - 110dB without listener fatigue (beyond that I'd damage things). None of the others can do that. And there is plenty of Slam, feeling the bass in your chest and pants legs. It doesn't sound "loud" because it's so easy on the ears, but it's louder than you think.

You're right - changing speakers would be cheaper than a new car, but integrating the sound into the interior space may be difficult. THAT's the difficulty.
It's a quest. But so is a four pound Smallmouth.
Thanks for your feedback and keep us posted.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLS450, Model Y, Carrera 911
Originally Posted by Gary_D
Have you guys made any audio upgrades? I have a GLS with the standard (non-3D surround) Burmester system, and I would like more punch from the bass. This system can't produce some sounds in tracks that you can hear in a decent pair of headphones.

I'm thinking of adding the MATCH UP W8MB-S4 plug and play replacements footwell subwoofers. I don't want to give up any cargo space with a sub box in the rear.

What changes have you made? What issues have you come across?
Did you install Match UP subwoofers in your GLS? I just bought a 2020 GLS with the basic Burmester system and found out that the system lacks punch like I had in my other cars. I am considering replacing the factory subwoofers with either Match UP or Focal. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 2019 w167
Hello.

I was installing a custom made subwoofer in the trunk under the floor, and were hidding the amp under the botton carpet, I found there was some space under the carpet and build a small platform and installed the amp, and I also bought in same time a 5G car wifi router instead of using MB own Vodaphone internet. Used HK element 8"

It become a huge difference in bass. I draw a wired remote to set level and frekv infront close to driver seat.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 560 Likes on 415 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by znobben
Hello.

I was installing a custom made subwoofer in the trunk under the floor, and were hidding the amp under the botton carpet, I found there was some space under the carpet and build a small platform and installed the amp, and I also bought in same time a 5G car wifi router instead of using MB own Vodaphone internet. Used HK element 8"

It become a huge difference in bass. I draw a wired remote to set level and frekv infront close to driver seat.
Please do post some pictures of your installation.