2022 GLE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
escalade
2022 GLE

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and is venturing into my first Mercedes purchase. I was hoping that the GLE infotainment screen would be updated to what's in the 2022 C class but it doesn't seem that's the case based on the ordering guide, what do you all think?

As much as I like the additional power in the 450s, I am hesitant in pulling the plug on the 450s because I don't like the mild hybrid battery system due to longevity possible issues. As such, I'm leaning towards the 350. I do a lot of long distance driving and some of that in hilly regions such as in MA and NY so do you all believe that the 350 power would be sufficient for this type of driving?

I would appreciate any and all feedback.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
94 Supra Turbo, 15 Jeep Wrangler Altitude, 2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by msewkumar
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and is venturing into my first Mercedes purchase. I was hoping that the GLE infotainment screen would be updated to what's in the 2022 C class but it doesn't seem that's the case based on the ordering guide, what do you all think?
hmm it looks nice and a good upgrade for the C class to get. It will be a few years most likely until the GLE receives that design.

As much as I like the additional power in the 450s, I am hesitant in pulling the plug on the 450s because I don't like the mild hybrid battery system due to longevity possible issues. As such, I'm leaning towards the 350. I do a lot of long distance driving and some of that in hilly regions such as in MA and NY so do you all believe that the 350 power would be sufficient for this type of driving?

The 350 definitely has the power and its punchy. However the smoothness of the 450 with the 48 volt is just amazing. Have you test drove both? I was set on the 350, but one test drive of the 450 and that did if for me. I have had my 450 for 2 years / 25 k miles and the GLE just performs great! I would love to get a 53 or 63 AMG one day..
Old 06-29-2021, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
The 2023 model year will be the facelifted GLE, and I would not expect it to adopt the tablet design of the W223 and W206, usually that big of a design change would be for a new generation rather than a mid-cycle facelift and require a significant redesign to the entire dashboard. I expect small changes to the front and rear bumpers, lights, wheels, and interior trims, etc., along with the new steering wheel as seen on the W213 E facelift. As seen from the spy shots, while the dash is covered up, it looks to be keeping the dual tablet screen.

2023 Mercedes GLE Facelift Spied For The First Time

Old 06-29-2021, 03:28 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
I believe the 350 has adequate power but it is definitely not as smooth as a 450. On the highway the 350 is comfortable (standard highway, not taking into account hills, mountains, etc.). The 2021/22 GLE infotainment screen is still nice, new and very responsive (compared to my prior 2017 E300). If you are able to find a 350 and a 450 at a dealership in this market, I would suggest driving them both to get a better idea on which you may want. Also see if you can find used ones of both models because it will give you an idea on how they age. I think the hard part will be finding one with the options you want or you will have to order one which may or may not be an ordeal (first time doing an order with Mercedes and my GLE 350 was delayed by almost 3 months). I can't predict how it will be future.

Although it is my personal preference, I prefer the current GLE steering wheel compared to what looks like is being offered in the 2023 GLE facelift. I had that steering wheel in a 2021 E class loaner and it felt cheap and the touch pads did not work well (even after adjusting the settings). Also it is not friendly for people with fat fingers.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:53 PM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
I too was hesitant about the 350 having sufficient power to move such a heavy vehicle. To make a long story short, purchased the 350 4 months ago and I am totally satisfied with the engine. BTW after driving in comfort mode, I switched to Eco mode and like it better. If money is not at all a concern go for the 450, I saved about $6k when opting for the 350. You’ll enjoy whichever one you decide upon.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bryce1023:
mikapen (07-05-2021), WindInMyHair (07-10-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
New Photo of GLE AMG-Line Facelift

Old 12-23-2021, 01:08 PM

Received 103 Likes on 53 Posts
2004 CLK320 Cab, 2020 GLE350
We bought a new 2020 GLE350 and it has been flawless. We’re very satisfied with the car overall, and have no misgivings whatsoever about the four-cylinder engine. This past summer we drove to Durango, Colorado, and ended up taking the so-called million dollar highway to Silverton. Silverton is at an altitude of 10,000 feet and we found that the engine performed more than adequately at that altitude, possibly due in part to the turbocharging. Our dealer told us that 80% of the GLEs that are sold are the 350 model. When reading comments of activists such as found on this forum or test drivers for most the car magazines, there always seems to be a tendency to go for the bigger, more powerful engines. Surprisingly, Car & Driver had very very positive review of the GLE350. In real life, and in normal driving, most people seem to be happy to order the 350 in order to reduce complications in the machinery, get better mileage, etc.
The following 3 users liked this post by paulmj1:
C-Rod6 (01-08-2022), KWes (12-25-2021), Lucky 777 (12-24-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 07:27 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
2022 GLE 450/2020 Gen 2 Raptor/few others
I don't think anyone is "bashing" the 350s. Some people just want more performance. We ended up with a 2022 GLE 450 because we couldn't find a 580 optioned like she wanted in a GLE. I must say it would be nice to have "more" power, but it's definitely not "needed". We didn't even test drive a 350 because we knew what we wanted. I'm sure the vast majority would be/are served well by one. However, get what you want/can afford. If you can afford a 450, there is no reason not to get one. The "problems" are a very low percentage and 2022 is now the third year of its production. Haven't seen too many complaints bout the more recent years, and we have NONE... zero.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 AMG C63 S Sedan
TLDR - only you can decide what is right for you and I would strongly suggest test driving both.

My wife and I test drove the 350 and 450 and cross-shopped it against the BMW X5 as well. My wife is not into performance cars of any kind and was coming out of a 2016 Infiniti QX60, so initially we were looking at the GLE350. We first went and tested the X5 and then went straight to the Mercedes dealer to test the 350. However, after driving it she felt it was way under powered even for her. I drove it around the block as well and the car felt heavy and slow to me as well. We then test drove the 450 and she liked it much better and decided that was the one for her. Personally I still feel like it is underpowered for its size, but keep in mind my daily is a C63. For 95% of the driving I think the 450 is OK, but I do feel like the time to pass is a bit much. I don't think that is necessarily a power issue though and more of a delay in throttle/transmission response.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A35, GLE 53, +others
Hello everyone,

I am also new but bought a 53 last week after test driving a dozen different GLC and GLE models. I really liked the GLE 450, it felt very refined and had a nice ride but lacked some of the fun factor our other cars have. The sales guy recommended trying out a fairly well equipped 350 after an extended spin in the 450 but by that point I knew the lower performance wasn't going to cut it. My wife's car is an A35 hatch, basically a tuned version of the same engine as the 350, and frankly I couldn't see it being a lot of fun saddled with an extra ton of bulk. The A35 is a blast to drive but even with four passengers you can really feel the extra weight. In the end I did the final drive in a used 53 they had and wrote them a cheque for the new one. So I would strongly recommend test driving if at all possible...

Another point is that I believe the C series has the older style infotainment system, without a center touch screen. I believe the C will be moving to the same system as the GLE, not the other way around. We have the same system as the GLE in the A35 and once you get used to it my wife and I both love it.

PS: sorry didn't realize how old this post was...

Last edited by djmorgan; 03-27-2022 at 05:11 PM.