GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Augmented Reality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 02:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 E300 - 2018 GLS450
I ordered my 450 back in March but was delayed because I wanted the dashcam, head-up display, Augmented Video for Navigation and 22” wheels. It was finally in the system in July with mid-September delivery date but I don’t know if anything was removed. I guess I’ll ask my SA on Tuesday.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CLA 35 AMG 4matic 2022
I am trying to order my car and they are telling me that Augmented Reality will not be in my car. It still has 10.25-inch screen I have added everything except the parking package. Is this something that they are retrofitting afterward if you desire? On their website, it says that the LTE will be retrofitted free of charge and that of course because your Mercedes Me subscription of 1 yr wouldn't start until after they added the LTE as that would give it full functionality. from what I can see they do have the Hermes LTE on my package but not the augmented reality. I talked to my sales rep about it and he said none of the GLEs in 2022 are being shipped with It Does ANYONE KNOW IF AUGMENTED REALITY will be retrofitted for free?. I don't see how they can think Mercedes nav is not with 950$ by itself I don't get why whats point if u can use google. The ONLY reason I got it was for augmented reality but if I lose that and I decide to say no multimedia package what else do I lose? it looks like I lose MB navigation maps not a big loss if your using google. I'm just pissed off if I'm spending 50k on a CLA mind you it better have everything or should I just buy A 35 2021 with 5k miles on it however that has everything including parking assistance which is really not needed by me but is missing exterior lighting which IS necessary.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by DREKNOWSBENZ
I am trying to order my car and they are telling me that Augmented Reality will not be in my car. It still has 10.25-inch screen I have added everything except the parking package. Is this something that they are retrofitting afterward if you desire? On their website, it says that the LTE will be retrofitted free of charge and that of course because your Mercedes Me subscription of 1 yr wouldn't start until after they added the LTE as that would give it full functionality. from what I can see they do have the Hermes LTE on my package but not the augmented reality. I talked to my sales rep about it and he said none of the GLEs in 2022 are being shipped with It Does ANYONE KNOW IF AUGMENTED REALITY will be retrofitted for free?. I don't see how they can think Mercedes nav is not with 950$ by itself I don't get why whats point if u can use google. The ONLY reason I got it was for augmented reality but if I lose that and I decide to say no multimedia package what else do I lose? it looks like I lose MB navigation maps not a big loss if your using google. I'm just pissed off if I'm spending 50k on a CLA mind you it better have everything or should I just buy A 35 2021 with 5k miles on it however that has everything including parking assistance which is really not needed by me but is missing exterior lighting which IS necessary.
You might find more insight if you posted in a CLA forum.
Having said that, I've had AR in my last two cars, and I don't like it. I keep it turned off, but it IS a Party Trick I can show passengers, but only briefly.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:50 PM

Received 129 Likes on 69 Posts
2021 GLE 63
I have to say that IMHO, I like the AR on my 2021 GLE450 and don't find it so gimmicky, There have been a few times in unfamiliar areas or highway exits where it actually made choosing a three option exit clearer and also, having the street and turn on the dash is nice. Is it necessary, no but I think it's a nice option. I don't have the HUD so I can't compare.
The following users liked this post:
oscarleo (01-09-2022)
Old 12-02-2021, 06:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE V167
Have the AR function on my 2021 GLE. To be honest, it is useless in most cases. Check your MBUX to have 549 code (not 548), otherwise it may not play video from usb. For AR retrofitting you may check this: https://rjautomotive.net/products/au...amera-retrofit
Old 12-02-2021, 09:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2022 AMG CLA 35
No AR for Me

I just took delivery of my MY2022 CLA 35 and had ordered the MB Nav with the Augmented Reality feature and also the Burmester audio system... I did not receive either the AR feature or the Burmester. The price was reduced $345 for the lack of AR and the $850 charge for Burmester was removed.

My build sheet shows that the installed MBUX unit is a mid-level 458 unit and therefor cannot be retrofitted for AR, even the third-party after-market camera+ options won't work without the hi-res processing 459 MBUX installed. The Substitute audio for Burmester in AMG models is proving OK as it has a trunk mounted subwoofer and an adequate MBUX software equalizer.

Importantly,the car came with a fully active HERMES module, and so all of the on and off-board connectivity stuff works just fine. The MB Nav (without the AR) is very, very good and far exceeds the Google Maps option. The MB Nav integration of Mercedes Me services such as weather, automatic/dynamic re-routing for accidents, traffic and closures, plus parking spot location and auto-payment are impressive and very useful.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
V167
Originally Posted by Todd R
I just took delivery of my MY2022 CLA 35 and had ordered the MB Nav with the Augmented Reality feature and also the Burmester audio system... I did not receive either the AR feature or the Burmester. The price was reduced $345 for the lack of AR and the $850 charge for Burmester was removed.

My build sheet shows that the installed MBUX unit is a mid-level 458 unit and therefor cannot be retrofitted for AR, even the third-party after-market camera+ options won't work without the hi-res processing 459 MBUX installed. The Substitute audio for Burmester in AMG models is proving OK as it has a trunk mounted subwoofer and an adequate MBUX software equalizer.

Importantly,the car came with a fully active HERMES module, and so all of the on and off-board connectivity stuff works just fine. The MB Nav (without the AR) is very, very good and far exceeds the Google Maps option. The MB Nav integration of Mercedes Me services such as weather, automatic/dynamic re-routing for accidents, traffic and closures, plus parking spot location and auto-payment are impressive and very useful.
I talked to my rep. With the current shortage, the only thing that they can add after u buy or lease the car is the cpu for the mobile app. Rest can not be added on after the fact. So with the shortage, we loose the mobile app feature and the AR on the navigation
Old 12-03-2021, 03:14 AM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
Mercedes Benz AMG GLC 63s
Ditto…👍😂

Originally Posted by TexAg91
I have augmented reality and the HUD. I use the HUD all the time, rarely use augmented reality. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the HUD. Now if they offered augmented reality in the HUD....
Old 12-03-2021, 07:19 AM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
I use AR a lot, especially when travelling.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by WA3CUJ
I use AR a lot, especially when travelling.
I use NAV all the time, and it's quite good.
The AR is a matter of opinion, (IMO ) and I turn off the AR display and revert to the traditional look. It gives a lot better insight into complex intersections, especially ones with streets intersecting from an acute angle. BTW that "traditional look" is what shows on the HUD, and in the instrument cluster.

The S Class now shows both the AR and traditional diagram as you approach and move through an intersection. You get to choose which is more useful, on the same display. The traditional look is easier to follow, especially if you are working in heavy traffic - it's easier to just glance at the diagram. So "the best" must be "both."

For AR users, there is an icon on the NAV screen, right side, that looks like an intersection with the letters "AR" showing. Touch the icon and you switch back and forth between the views.
There are several options that you can drill down and enable for the display, such as "next street" and "current street."
Old 12-06-2021, 01:14 AM

CLA 35 AMG 4matic 2022
I'm curious DASHCAM ONLY NEEDED?

Originally Posted by MBguy013
When I placed my order, Augmented Video was supposedly available. During production, it was deleted. Interestingly, this is what my window sticker looks like. It appears to me that I would be able to add it at some point down the road.
So I'm curious it seems to me that if you get the multimedia lite without Augmented reality is it because they don't have dashcams? I know that u need 1 for the other correct? Like dashcam is mandatory for Augmented reality correct? So is reason my car shipping without Augmented reality because silly dashcam. Which I see there is a work around if I'm not mistaken. Anyone know?
Old 12-06-2021, 01:16 AM

CLA 35 AMG 4matic 2022
I'm curious DASHCAM ONLY NEEDED?

Originally Posted by MBguy013
When I placed my order, Augmented Video was supposedly available. During production, it was deleted. Interestingly, this is what my window sticker looks like. It appears to me that I would be able to add it at some point down the road.
So I'm curious it seems to me that if you get the multimedia lite without Augmented reality is it because they don't have dashcams? I know that u need 1 for the other correct? Like dashcam is mandatory for Augmented reality correct? So is reason my car shipping without Augmented reality because silly dashcam. Which I see there is a work around if I'm not mistaken. Anyone know?
Front and Rear Dash Cam - Installation
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-06-2021, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 351 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
no, that’s not correct. The dashcam requires AR as a precursor but you can (and most do) get AR without the dashcam. The reason for the multimedia lite without the AR nav is because AR Nav itself and the chips for it are unavailable. There’s no other option restricting AR Nav, it’s the AR Nav itself that’s not able to be had right now
The following 2 users liked this post by BenjaminKohl:
DREKNOWSBENZ (01-09-2022), mikapen (12-06-2021)
Old 01-05-2022, 02:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 GLE 350
As anything….

There is a learning curve with the AR option. I enjoy it and with the upcoming street and distance at the top of the screen, I’ve had no issues, it certainly is a minimal cost. I wanted the HUD but I choose the heated/cooling cup holders and the wireless charging instead and as mentioned I wanted the ability to a have full screen navigation on the instrument cluster, a must for me.
DREKNOWSBENZ (01-10-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 02:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
W167
AR and HUD

Originally Posted by Daso
I have to say that IMHO, I like the AR on my 2021 GLE450 and don't find it so gimmicky, There have been a few times in unfamiliar areas or highway exits where it actually made choosing a three option exit clearer and also, having the street and turn on the dash is nice. Is it necessary, no but I think it's a nice option. I don't have the HUD so I can't compare.
I have AR and HUD and like
both. If I could only have one it would be the HUD. I love the HUD it is so useful and I thought it would be a gimmic. The AR is good though.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:11 PM

CLA 35 AMG 4matic 2022
Originally Posted by mikapen
You might find more insight if you posted in a CLA forum.
Having said that, I've had AR in my last two cars, and I don't like it. I keep it turned off, but it IS a Party Trick I can show passengers, but only briefly.
thanks buddy I'm going see if they retrofit does anyone know if Augmented reality needs a chip? Or is it just the dash cam they don't have and why they can't equip it?. I've seen retrofit with dashcam that activated Augmented reality but was Asian so not sure what or how they did it.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:16 PM

CLA 35 AMG 4matic 2022
Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
no, that’s not correct. The dashcam requires AR as a precursor but you can (and most do) get AR without the dashcam. The reason for the multimedia lite without the AR nav is because AR Nav itself and the chips for it are unavailable. There’s no other option restricting AR Nav, it’s the AR Nav itself that’s not able to be had right now
thanks that's what I wanted know
Old 01-09-2022, 12:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
W167
thanks buddy I'm going see if they retrofit does anyone know if Augmented reality needs a chip? Or is it just the dash cam they don't have and why they can't equip it?. I've seen retrofit with dashcam that activated Augmented reality but was Asian so not sure what or how they did it.
I think you have to have the dash cam for the AR but not 100% sure. You then have to pay to have the dash cam option. £200 in the UK.

On the subject of the Nav I think the MAPS are the worst I have ever had. The NAV itself is great but the data feels like going back 5 years. Even trying to navigate home it takes me down a lane which doesn't connect to a main road and tries to route to my house across a field (this is however a known bug with the data).

Even yesterday I had to use my phone to find somewhere as the MB Nav tried taking down road which had pedestrian access to where I wanted to go but not vehicular access.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLE
Originally Posted by makris0000
I ordered my GLE without it because when I had loaner GLEs that had that option I felt it wasn't a necessity and I felt like it wouldnt work that often. The only reason why I would order it in the future is because the only way to get the full screen navigation map on the dash is if you have the augmented reality option. Right now the map space in the dash is a tiny square and it cannot go full screen.
So are you saying that having a full map showing in the instrument cluster (like this photo) is dependent on having a dashcam and AR? That makes no sense.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Old 01-10-2022, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Requires A.R. not the Dash Cam.
fm_carv (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 01:40 PM

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
Originally Posted by fm_carv
So are you saying that having a full map showing in the instrument cluster (like this photo) is dependent on having a dashcam and AR? That makes no sense.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Requires A.R. not the Dash Cam.
For an explanation technically, it requires the high end MBUX graphics unit (549). If you have that, you can get the full screen map. In order for the car to have the AR, it must have the 549 MBUX unit. Otherwise, Mercedes saves some $$ and you likely get the 548 system. If anyone (don't know that anyone does, but maybe due to a parts shortage or something) has the 549 system without AR, they probably would have the full screen map.
The following 2 users liked this post by z28lt1:
fm_carv (01-10-2022), mjb2124 (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 03:15 PM

CLA 35 AMG 4matic 2022
Originally Posted by Bloom_Phaze
Ditto…👍😂
s class does its such bs I'm sure not much more for them add it but way to screw everyone who i is not buying s class or better in really appalled at all the mbux 548 cars going out and people are accepting old tech in New car we should demand 549 because you don't just lose ar you also lose ability watch video from USB and its just better processor. I've verve heard of such it's like a computer company selling me the old computer with old nvidia card. I'll pay for the rtx 3090 install that in my benz dammit that'll handle anything it needs and more 😆 jk it's just very shady how they have downplayed how much this affects b the quality of your system in general and responsiveness.
Imanone (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 03:19 PM

CLA 35 AMG 4matic 2022
Try using these 3 words

Originally Posted by Stuart Morley
I think you have to have the dash cam for the AR but not 100% sure. You then have to pay to have the dash cam option. £200 in the UK.

On the subject of the Nav I think the MAPS are the worst I have ever had. The NAV itself is great but the data feels like going back 5 years. Even trying to navigate home it takes me down a lane which doesn't connect to a main road and tries to route to my house across a field (this is however a known bug with the data).

Even yesterday I had to use my phone to find somewhere as the MB Nav tried taking down road which had pedestrian access to where I wanted to go but not vehicular access.
Dunno if this will help but mbux has these 3 words built in so you can navigate to more specific areas without at many issues it's built in I believe
Old 01-10-2022, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dunno if this will help but mbux has these 3 words built in so you can navigate to more specific areas without at many issues it's built in I believe
That's what we've been told. M-B apparently was a leader in adopting What3Words.

Try it - put any address in the search box. https://what3words.com/clip.apples.leap
I have the phone app, which will send my 3Word location to emergency responders.
I can also send directions via MercedesMeConnect, using the location from the website I posted.

Last edited by mikapen; 01-10-2022 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:22 PM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
2022 GLE 450, 2024 Volvo XC 60
s class does its such bs I'm sure not much more for them add it but way to screw everyone who i is not buying s class or better in really appalled at all the mbux 548 cars going out and people are accepting old tech in New car we should demand 549 because you don't just lose ar you also lose ability watch video from USB and its just better processor. I've verve heard of such it's like a computer company selling me the old computer with old nvidia card. I'll pay for the rtx 3090 install that in my benz dammit that'll handle anything it needs and more 😆 jk it's just very shady how they have downplayed how much this affects b the quality of your system in general and responsiveness.
My 2022 450 has the 548. I had no idea that there was a newer model and I am fairly certain that my dealer would have played dumb and never would have tried to get the newer unit for me. My 548 loads very slowly and sometimes not at all. Have appt to have them take a look, but I already know the answer. If there was a way to get the 549, I would love to know about it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Augmented Reality