GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Do dealers get new allocation slots all the time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2021 | 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by FirstSUVOwner
There is no full screen navigation on DASHBOARD - not the side screen, without AR. This feature alone is why people add this because without the full screen nav on dashboard, the dashboard cant be used for navigation. Using dashboard for navigation allows you to use the side screen (in full form) for a lot of other things such as carplay/music/etc.
Don’t you still get Nav in the HUD & 1/3 of the center screen without AR? Except in a complex metro freeway interchange route it would seem to be adequate for Nav without full screen.
Old 07-14-2021 | 10:03 AM
Veteran: Air Force

'20 GLE 450, Silverado 3500
I do not care for the Navigation on the Instrument Display either. The Multimedia display is fine and, like Ron .S, with the directions on the HUD the important stuff for me is right there. I use the center Instrument Display for my DISTRONIC display, I use DISTRONIC often.

Last edited by Brer Rabbit; 07-14-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-14-2021 | 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Brer Rabbit
My wife's car has full screen Navigation in the Instrument Panel, the car has AR and code-549. To get to the full screen Navation, hit the return/home button on the left side of the steering wheel.
Move to Navigation (please excuse the dust on the screen)
Select Navigation and scroll down/up to Full Screen
Then select Full Screen and you get:
Thanks for showing that process.
That full-screen is less useful than other displays, IMO. When Audi came out with that full screen NAV in 2017, all the salespeople were agog over it, but I couldn't see its advantage. It precluded seeing anything like the tach or speed. To each his own.
Now M-B has probably a couple hundred different combinations of displays - selecting that home button, selecting from the eight or so choices, then drilling down to another half dozen choices within each of those choices. What is that - eight to the third power?

Example: I keep NAV reduced in the center of the cluster, so I can anticipate the next turns on an unfamiliar road. Then I choose from the variety of other available displays alongside. I like the tach with current gear, or right now I am displaying the tach with tire pressures/temps, since I am dialing in my tire pressures. Sometimes I put my media display there so I can see the artist, skip or replay tunes.
I like the choices provided, even though it'll be a lifetime before I discover them all.
Old 07-14-2021 | 01:29 PM

GLE450
Originally Posted by mikapen
Thanks for showing that process.
That full-screen is less useful than other displays, IMO. When Audi came out with that full screen NAV in 2017, all the salespeople were agog over it, but I couldn't see its advantage. It precluded seeing anything like the tach or speed. To each his own.
Now M-B has probably a couple hundred different combinations of displays - selecting that home button, selecting from the eight or so choices, then drilling down to another half dozen choices within each of those choices. What is that - eight to the third power?

Example: I keep NAV reduced in the center of the cluster, so I can anticipate the next turns on an unfamiliar road. Then I choose from the variety of other available displays alongside. I like the tach with current gear, or right now I am displaying the tach with tire pressures/temps, since I am dialing in my tire pressures. Sometimes I put my media display there so I can see the artist, skip or replay tunes.
I like the choices provided, even though it'll be a lifetime before I discover them all.
The only way to have a fully functional navigation is either on dash or on the right screen. This is how you can see things like traffic as well as road names other than the road you are on (perhaps you are interested in seeing a few blocks left or right of where you are). You cant have this functionality via HUD or the small dashboard. You might use HUD but you are bound to subconsciously default to main nav on the right from time to time which renders that right screen useless beyond NAV. I use carplay all the time (spotify/whatsapp/waze/etc) and to me I would not use mercedes NAV if it means I cant use waze. At the end of the day warnings for police/accident/constructio /disabled cars are more important than what MB nav provides. That doesnt mean mercedes Nav is useless, it doesnt have as much utility. This also means by extension that to take full advantage of MB NAV, you cant use waze at the same time.

So this whole thing with AR is, to me at least, much more about the ability to use MB NAV + Carplay simultaneously and a lot less with AR itself.
The following users liked this post:
Imanone (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
The only way to have a fully functional navigation is either on dash or on the right screen. This is how you can see things like traffic as well as road names other than the road you are on (perhaps you are interested in seeing a few blocks left or right of where you are). You cant have this functionality via HUD or the small dashboard. You might use HUD but you are bound to subconsciously default to main nav on the right from time to time which renders that right screen useless beyond NAV. I use carplay all the time (spotify/whatsapp/waze/etc) and to me I would not use mercedes NAV if it means I cant use waze. At the end of the day warnings for police/accident/constructio /disabled cars are more important than what MB nav provides. That doesnt mean mercedes Nav is useless, it doesnt have as much utility. This also means by extension that to take full advantage of MB NAV, you cant use waze at the same time.

So this whole thing with AR is, to me at least, much more about the ability to use MB NAV + Carplay simultaneously and a lot less with AR itself.
Yes, you can "have this functionality."
While looking at the simplistic center display you are talking about, use the touch pad on the steering wheel spoke and scroll up or down one screen.
Then you will get all the info you are talking about - adjacent street names, traffic, accidents, and it's available with Carplay or any other display on the big center-of-dashboard screen. You can also program that small screen (or when expanded to full screen) to auto zoom, N up, etc.
Imanone (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 02:09 PM

GLE450
While looking at the simplistic center display you are talking about, use the touch pad on the steering wheel spoke and scroll up or down one screen.
Then you will get all the info you are talking about - adjacent street names, traffic, accidents, and it's available with Carplay or any other display on the big center-of-dashboard screen. You can also program that small screen (or when expanded to full screen) to auto zoom, N up, etc.
Yes you are right but its worth pointing out that what you are saying will appear on a screen that is 1/3 of the big screen. Its not as intuitive and easy to use as the full screen.
mikapen (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes you are right but its worth pointing out that what you are saying will appear on a screen that is 1/3 of the big screen. Its not as intuitive and easy to use as the full screen.

I might be wrong but as I remember it when you activate your phone Nav it replaces the native Nav in the Driver screens & HUD. It’s been a couple of months since I used Nav and haven’t specifically checked all the screens but that’s the way I remember it. I haven’t checked this on my GLE 53 but my prior 450 stopped Navigation from the M Nav when activating Android Auto Nav. I guess I’ll check agin this PM when I go out.
Old 07-14-2021 | 03:42 PM

2022 GLE 450, 2024 Volvo XC 60
If my 450 ever shows up, I'll have to drive over to your place for an advanced course on the SUV. Lord knows the SAs won't spend the time or in some cases, not have the knowledge.
Old 07-14-2021 | 04:08 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV

I use Waze on my iPhone all the time for the alerts but I also use MBUX nav all the time too--I don't like CarPlay so I never use it.
mikapen (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Imanone
If my 450 ever shows up, I'll have to drive over to your place for an advanced course on the SUV. Lord knows the SAs won't spend the time or in some cases, not have the knowledge.
Ha! Maybe you can help me figure out "Lower on Entrance" then. I'm only up to page 4,356 on the owners manual
Imanone (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 04:48 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Ha! Maybe you can help me figure out "Lower on Entrance" then. I'm only up to page 4,356 on the owners manual
Please let me know if you can determine how to permanently activate the 'Lower on Entrance' setting.

Last edited by jtjbt20x; 07-14-2021 at 06:21 PM.
mikapen (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ron.s
I might be wrong but as I remember it when you activate your phone Nav it replaces the native Nav in the Driver screens & HUD. It’s been a couple of months since I used Nav and haven’t specifically checked all the screens but that’s the way I remember it. I haven’t checked this on my GLE 53 but my prior 450 stopped Navigation from the M Nav when activating Android Auto Nav. I guess I’ll check agin this PM when I go out.
This has changed for the better in two years. You can now run simultaneous Nav with MBUX & Android Auto. In mine (GLE 53) the center Driver screen still displays MNav with AA active but I was unable to find a setting to display Nav in the HUD. Messing around between stoplights makes it a little difficult to browse the options. I did notice that MNav voice commands work better now since I updated maps. There are also blanks in
HUD would allow more options down the road!

There has never been a way to set lower on entry to remain as set. It always resets to off after cycling the ignition. On the AMG it doesn’t lower enough to hardly even notice. The 450 sits higher so an inch lower is noticeable. It would be best to have it automatically lower permanently once set to on and going even lower would also be nice, IMO.
Old 07-14-2021 | 05:28 PM

2022 GLE 450, 2024 Volvo XC 60
Originally Posted by jtjbt20x
Please let me know if you can determine how to permanently active the 'Lower on Entrance' setting.
Odds of helping you are slim. Have no earthly idea what lower on entrance even means!
The following 2 users liked this post by Imanone:
mikapen (07-14-2021), Ron.s (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 06:24 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by Imanone
Odds of helping you are slim. Have no earthly idea what lower on entrance even means!
It's a setting on GLEs with Airmatic suspension that lowers the GLE to the -2 level to make it easier to get out of and into the GLE. It's very helpful for when I need to get my dog with arthritis in/out of the GLE.
Imanone (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 06:26 PM

Please let me know if you can determine how to permanently active the 'Lower on Entrance' setting.
I don't think they have a permanent "Lower on Entry/Exit" since they may not know when to trigger the function. If you lower the car when it stops, every stop sign (assuming you stop at those), red traffic light plus traffic jams would have the car going up and down. You could do it when the car is put into park but you need to keep the engine running while the car lowers and I doubt many will want to stay in the car until the car has finished lowering. There may be a way but I would guess some would not like it either. We just push the button when we get close to where we are going.

Do other cars have this automated?

mikapen (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 06:27 PM

It's a setting on GLEs with Airmatic suspension that lowers the GLE to the -2 level to make it easier to get out of and into the GLE. It's very helpful for when I need to get my dog with arthritis in/out of the GLE.
Its' good for when my wife gets in and out, she is vertically challenged.
Old 07-14-2021 | 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Brer Rabbit
I don't think they have a permanent "Lower on Entry/Exit" since they may not know when to trigger the function. If you lower the car when it stops, every stop sign (assuming you stop at those), red traffic light plus traffic jams would have the car going up and down. You could do it when the car is put into park but you need to keep the engine running while the car lowers and I doubt many will want to stay in the car until the car has finished lowering. There may be a way but I would guess some would not like it either. We just push the button when we get close to where we are going.

Do other cars have this automated?
I think there might be a concern about crushing something if it's automatic - somewhere in the Owners Manual is a caution, maybe about air suspension in general. And the Stopped in Traffic that you mention might be part.

Recently I have been wondering what other things might affect the car's decision. Sometimes my menu is greyed out even below 19mph, but not always.
Putting it in Sport may confuse things.

Maybe I'll take some photos and start a thread. So many little things at work on these new cars.
jtjbt20x (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Other cars do have it according to prior posts by members.
One effective way to make it work would be to start lowering when you shut off the engine. The fan runs after exit, some lights function…even with just the 12 volt on the 350 it should be feasible. It doesn’t take long & then it would still be lower when you return to enter.
Old 07-14-2021 | 07:03 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
One effective way to make it work would be to start lowering when you shut off the engine. The fan runs after exit, some lights function…even with just the 12 volt on the 350 it should be feasible. It doesn’t take long & then it would still be lower when you return to enter.
Mine requires the engine to be running, otherwise I get a message telling me that.
mikapen (07-16-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Plus I like the lowered look. All hunkered down and ready for action.
Ron.s (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mine requires the engine to be running, otherwise I get a message telling me that.
I just tested mine by raising it up so that it would take longer to lower. Hit lower on entry-shut off the engine- got out of my car and it kept lowering to the lowest height. It took several lower front, lower rear -back and forth until down.
mikapen (07-16-2021)
Old 07-15-2021 | 10:25 AM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
I just tested mine by raising it up so that it would take longer to lower. Hit lower on entry-shut off the engine- got out of my car and it kept lowering to the lowest height. It took several lower front, lower rear -back and forth until down.
I'll have to try that, thanks.
Old 07-15-2021 | 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'll have to try that, thanks.
The function takes very little juice to lower since it just opens a valve to reduce the air bag volume. You can hear the bleed off as it adjusts. On the 450 it dropped about an inch…on the 53 it drops about half that amount. More would be 👍. A one touch button would be a nice compromise.
I took measurements once but not finding them now. My wife wanted running boards until we had a loaner with them. The retracting ones on the Maybach would be a great add even at double$$.