GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Thoughts on 350 vs 450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 01:39 PM

Received 343 Likes on 183 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4matic
Thoughts on 350 vs 450

So I had my 2020 GLE350 in for service yesterday. In the past they have always given me another 350 as a loaner car but yesterday I got a pretty well equipped 2021 GLE450. I've never had an opportunity to make a fair hands on comparison before this and while I'll try my best to be objective, keep in mind this is still my own opinion based on the differences between these two cars.

The first and most obvious difference is the 4 cylinder power plant compared to the 6 cylinder. I've always been satisfied with the power from the 4 banger and that hasn't changed. The 6 is by all means noticeably quicker and somewhat smoother. That's not saying the 6 cylinder isn't smooth, it's silky smooth at all throttle positions. I never noticed a lack of smoothness with the 4 cylinder but it's obviously less refined. The 6 cylinder is very peppy and the turbo lag is much less noticeable, largely in part no doubt to the eco boost system. For my normal driving habits the 4 cylinder is more than adequate. Speaking of the eco boost system, it makes the auto start/stop system totally seamless. In my 350 I've got in the habit of switching from comfort mode to eco mode as soon as I start the car and that makes the auto start/stop system 90% acceptable, while in comfort mode it's jerky and quite annoying. I really hope MB decides to add the 48 volt system to the 350 some day, even as an option it's a feature I'd be willing to pay extra for.

My car has steel springs while this 450 had the air ride system. The air ride had a floaty feeling I didn't care for. This car also had normal tires while my car has run flats so making a fair comparison between the two suspensions is difficult. While the ride quality of my 350 isn't bad, I think it could be improved by ditching the run flat tires. I didn't play with the adjustments and left the loaner car in comfort mode while I had it so it's very possible that floaty feeling could be dialed back a bit. Both systems are very good for what they are.

A few odds and ends: My car has the standard sunroof while the loaner had the pano roof. It's nice but not something I'd be willing to pay a lot extra for. The loaner had the drivers assist package and I found the little flashing speed limit sign above the speedometer annoying. My car does not have ventilated seats, the loaner did. Compared to my last car which was a Buick Enclave, the ventilated seats in the MB seemed to offer very little air flow. I find the non ventilated MB-Tex seats in my car to be fairly comfortable and I don't miss the cooling option.

So after driving a GLE450 for a day do I plan to trade my 350 in the near future, no. Is the 450 powerplant worthy of the added cost, maybe. Both cars are very good for their price point and if you're not towing, most will find the power the 4 cylinder offers to be adequate for a daily driver.

The following 6 users liked this post by Lucky 777:
dinakarj (11-04-2021), js_cls (07-21-2021), KrustyKustom (08-25-2021), kvelez (08-25-2021), TexAg91 (07-21-2021), user 7208224 (07-21-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-21-2021, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Nice write up, and a very nice loaner! I’m surprised your dealer would have that nice and desirable of a spec for a loaner and not for sale (especially since GLE 450’s are hard to get).

I completely agree about the 48-Volt System in that it really works wonders on the engine. I love it on my CLS53 and that’s what made my wife wanna go for the 450, that and we’ve always loved Inline-6’s. Very glad to see them make a comeback at MB.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Lucky 777
So I had my 2020 GLE350 in for service yesterday. In the past they have always given me another 350 as a loaner car but yesterday I got a pretty well equipped 2021 GLE450. I've never had an opportunity to make a fair hands on comparison before this and while I'll try my best to be objective, keep in mind this is still my own opinion based on the differences between these two cars.

The first and most obvious difference is the 4 cylinder power plant compared to the 6 cylinder. I've always been satisfied with the power from the 4 banger and that hasn't changed. The 6 is by all means noticeably quicker and somewhat smoother. That's not saying the 6 cylinder isn't smooth, it's silky smooth at all throttle positions. I never noticed a lack of smoothness with the 4 cylinder but it's obviously less refined. The 6 cylinder is very peppy and the turbo lag is much less noticeable, largely in part no doubt to the eco boost system. For my normal driving habits the 4 cylinder is more than adequate. Speaking of the eco boost system, it makes the auto start/stop system totally seamless. In my 350 I've got in the habit of switching from comfort mode to eco mode as soon as I start the car and that makes the auto start/stop system 90% acceptable, while in comfort mode it's jerky and quite annoying. I really hope MB decides to add the 48 volt system to the 350 some day, even as an option it's a feature I'd be willing to pay extra for.

My car has steel springs while this 450 had the air ride system. The air ride had a floaty feeling I didn't care for. This car also had normal tires while my car has run flats so making a fair comparison between the two suspensions is difficult. While the ride quality of my 350 isn't bad, I think it could be improved by ditching the run flat tires. I didn't play with the adjustments and left the loaner car in comfort mode while I had it so it's very possible that floaty feeling could be dialed back a bit. Both systems are very good for what they are.

A few odds and ends: My car has the standard sunroof while the loaner had the pano roof. It's nice but not something I'd be willing to pay a lot extra for. The loaner had the drivers assist package and I found the little flashing speed limit sign above the speedometer annoying. My car does not have ventilated seats, the loaner did. Compared to my last car which was a Buick Enclave, the ventilated seats in the MB seemed to offer very little air flow. I find the non ventilated MB-Tex seats in my car to be fairly comfortable and I don't miss the cooling option.

So after driving a GLE450 for a day do I plan to trade my 350 in the near future, no. Is the 450 powerplant worthy of the added cost, maybe. Both cars are very good for their price point and if you're not towing, most will find the power the 4 cylinder offers to be adequate for a daily driver.
Nice write-up, and good comparison. I agree with most.
The flashing speed limit can be set not to flash, or not to show at all.
I agree about the floaty ride, and some of that can be addressed by tire pressures. Driving in Sport makes it much better, but Sport disables Run-Stop, which may be good or bad for you. But it does run lower gears, which probably decreases fuel economy. I forget if the 450 includes an Individual Setting, where you could select sport suspension with comfort transmission settings.
And I wonder if my ventilated seats are really ventilating, although there is a slight cool feeling, which has been enough.

And a final comment - over a thousand or so miles with both engines, I actually got better gas mileage with the 450 than the 350, although both were in the range of our GLC300, a much lighter car.

Last edited by mikapen; 07-21-2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:00 PM

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
2021 GLE53 AMG
Originally Posted by mikapen
I agree about the floaty ride, and some of that can be addressed by tire pressures. Driving in Sport makes it much better, but Sport disables Run-Stop, which may be good or bad for you. But it does run lower gears, which probably decreases fuel economy. I forget if the 450 includes an Individual Setting, where you could select sport suspension with comfort transmission settings.
And I wonder if my ventilated seats are really ventilating, although there is a slight cool feeling, which has been enough.

And a final comment - over a thousand or so miles with both engines, I actually got better gas mileage with the 450 than the 350, although both were in the range of our GCL300, a much lighter car.
How do you turn off the flashing speed limit? Thanks
Old 07-21-2021, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by GeNomeZ
I'll try to remember. So many menu options - I'll have to go out and become one with the car again.
The following users liked this post:
GeNomeZ (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 04:38 PM

2023 GLE 450 4matic
I was very surprised at what they supplied as a loaner and noticed the front lot was basically empty. I don't think they have any cars left.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lucky 777:
kvelez (08-26-2021), user 7208224 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 04:48 PM

2023 GLE 450 4matic

And a final comment - over a thousand or so miles with both engines, I actually got better gas mileage with the 450 than the 350, although both were in the range of our GLC300, a much lighter car.
Considering the fun factor from the extra ponies in the 450, I'd probably have my foot in it too much to get better gas mileage !
mikapen (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Yes. How do you turn the flashing part off. I think I remember how to turn it off, but not the flashing part every dang 30 seconds.

Nice comparison by the way and I’m shocked at the loaner.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:27 PM

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 GLE450
The ventilated seats on my 450 is my first experience and I would definitely get it on my next car if it's offered. Even though there isn't a ton of airflow, there is enough cool feeling on your back on hot days it just feels refreshing. We've had many 100+ degree heat wave here in California so every bit of cool air helps.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
Originally Posted by nextmilenium
The ventilated seats on my 450 is my first experience and I would definitely get it on my next car if it's offered. Even though there isn't a ton of airflow, there is enough cool feeling on your back on hot days it just feels refreshing. We've had many 100+ degree heat wave here in California so every bit of cool air helps.
Every time I leave the golf course on a hot day, I am glad I have the ventilated seats too!!!!
nextmilenium (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 09:48 PM

Received 129 Likes on 69 Posts
2021 GLE 63
When I first got my GLE 450, I thought the ventilated seats weren't working, but while the air flow might not be what many expected, I really love it now. No, it's not a blast of air under your seat, but on a hot day it totally keeps your clothes dryer and and adds enough extra ventilation to an area that wouldn't get airflow anyway to keep y9ou more comfortable. I can definitely feel it with shorts and Tshirt on a hot day. I think it's worth having. I can't remember if I had it on my CLK 430 years ago.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:21 PM

Received 201 Likes on 143 Posts
2021 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Yes. How do you turn the flashing part off. I think I remember how to turn it off, but not the flashing part every dang 30 seconds.

mikapen (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'll try to remember. So many menu options - I'll have to go out and become one with the car again.
First go to the "Assist" screen, and then the next, where you can turn on/off any or all of the notifications, loudness and "mph over speed limit" choices.
"Visual and Audible" means beeping and flashing; "Visual means flashing.
If you turn everything "Off," the Speed Limit is still displayed - you have only turned off the warnings.
I wish they had "+9 mph" because I'd use that.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:29 PM

Received 403 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by Lucky 777

Well stated. I wish the 48v mild hybrid was offered on the 350 too…would make a phenomenal pairing.
Lucky 777 (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 10:23 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV

It does have Individual settings. I have mine set up for suspension in sport mode which lowers the Airmatic to -1, with the other settings on comfort.
mikapen (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 01:41 PM

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts
2021 GLE 450
For me, the 6 cylinder was the reason to buy the car. The acceleration is awesome. We have the ventilated seats as well and even in FL, we forget to turn them on. Sunroofs are useless over here. If there was no sunroof option I would take it. The 48V system is awesome.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:49 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 450
the 450 is far superior to the 350 to drive. and for the wimps whining about 'floaty' air suspension just put it into sport. wth. I now understand that you aren't really experiencing mercedes until you get to the E class and higher. the ventilated seats are ok but also no replacement for true cooled seats as in an infiniti which is the standard. unfortunately everything else about infiniti is now sub par. the GLE450 is a fabulous vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by digital_b:
kvelez (07-25-2021), Neurobit (07-24-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 09:27 AM

2023 GLE 450 4matic

Last edited by Lucky 777; 07-28-2021 at 11:10 AM.