Any Hybrid GLE in the Future?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by slk55er
OK Thank you. That helps. It's interesting that MB would show this photo for the E450 along with this dialogue:

"EQ Boost Integrated Starter-GeneratorElectrifying the inline-6 gasoline engine is an innovative Integrated Starter-Generator. It teams with a 48-volt lithium-ion battery and power supply for formerly belt-driven components like the water pump and air-conditioning compressor, reducing weight and enhancing underhood packaging. In addition, EQ Boost can generate additional, gas-free power and torque for immediate response."

Why would they show this 4-cyl engine while mentioning the inline-6? As I suggested earlier --- bad coordination between the sales promo and engineering staffs.

I'd still like to know what the configuration of the 580 engine is. Does it have a flywheel unit like our CLS53s, whatever one may call it and what purpose does it serve -- only a motor function? Or does the 580 only have that small "starter/generator" at the front of the engine as shown in some of the previous photos and is it belt driven? Even if it is not belt driven, why have that is there is a flywheel/motor/starter/generator as in our CLS53s?
Perhaps I'll get a clear answer from the Tech forum.
The GLE 580 & GLE 450 are the same drive train except for the engines. YouTube…..like I keep saying. Or go back on this Forum a 2 1/2 years where this has been beat to death.

Last edited by Ron.s; 08-02-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:30 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Originally Posted by Ron.s
The GLE 580 & GLE 450 are the same drive train except for the engines. YouTube…..like I keep saying. Or go back on this Forum a 2 1/2 years where this has been beat to death.
OK thanks. I'll look again for some more YouTube but for me, the engines ARE part of the drive train. 2 1/2 years ago I don't believe the 580 engine existed and I don't recall seeing the small "starter/generator" photos in any material at that time which is about when I purchased my CLS53 (March of 2019.) This seems to be a new addition to the mild hybrid setup that seems to be redundant to the flywheel unit -- if the flywheel unit still exists. I'm looking for a clear definition of the purpose of and disticntion between 1) the small unit at the front of the engine shown in some photos above and 2) the flywheel unit. I guess I have to give up on this for now.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK thanks. I'll look again for some more YouTube but for me, the engines ARE part of the drive train. 2 1/2 years ago I don't believe the 580 engine existed and I don't recall seeing the small "starter/generator" photos in any material at that time which is about when I purchased my CLS53 (March of 2019.) This seems to be a new addition to the mild hybrid setup that seems to be redundant to the flywheel unit -- if the flywheel unit still exists. I'm looking for a clear definition of the purpose of and disticntion between 1) the small unit at the front of the engine shown in some photos above and 2) the flywheel unit. I guess I have to give up on this for now.
Try this link….

Old 08-02-2021, 06:43 PM

Yes, thanks I have viewed this several times and it is helpful to explain the innovative basic M256 engine and the flywheel/motor/generator/starter.

But it does not address the small starter/generator that now appears in the MB description of the mild hybrid engines does it? Maybe I missed it but I think this is new. It seems redundant with the flywheel unit. If the 580 engine and the 53 engine include the flywheel unit, why have this small unit for a starter/generator? This dialogue is leading nowhere for this question and I will indeed bow out. Thanks all for your insights.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, thanks I have viewed this several times and it is helpful to explain the innovative basic M256 engine and the flywheel/motor/generator/starter.

But it does not address the small starter/generator that now appears in the MB description of the mild hybrid engines does it? Maybe I missed it but I think this is new. It seems redundant with the flywheel unit. If the 580 engine and the 53 engine include the flywheel unit, why have this small unit for a starter/generator? This dialogue is leading nowhere for this question and I will indeed bow out. Thanks all for your insights.
AFAIK there is no starter generator on any EQ boost models except for the ISG. Must be that your source material is wrong or confusing.
But-the new AMG E Performance models announced (but not for the GLE yet) have added a traditional starter generator to the engines per the videos I posted earlier.
My assumption is that they are now making the new E Performance engines more traditional so that a 48 volt failure won’t leave you stranded like they do now. That’s what Porsche/Audi do now with their 48 volt cars…but they don’t use an ISG. That’s the Achilles Heal of the EQ Boost models…48 volt dies and nothing else works. Inconvenient if it happens at home, but out of town, in winter, better hope Roadside is close.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:14 PM

AFAIK there is no starter generator on any EQ boost models except for the ISG. Must be that your source material is wrong or confusing.
Well, I'm just looking at MBs Vehicle Features on mbusa.com which should be pretty reliable.

But-the new AMG E Performance models announced (but not for the GLE yet) have added a traditional starter generator to the engines per the videos I posted earlier.
That would be helpful and that would explain the small unit pictured on the mbusa.com website. So does the flywheel unit still exist in the mild hybrids and if so, is it now not used as a starter/generator, only as a motor for HP and torque?

Last edited by slk55er; 08-02-2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, I'm just looking at MBs Vehicle Features on mbusa.com which should be pretty reliable.
That would be helpful and that would explain the small unit pictured on the mbusa.com website. So does the flywheel unit still exist in the mild hybrids and if so, is it now not used as a starter/generator, only as a motor for HP and torque?
It’s a little too new for me to try to explain, still digesting this myself…Here’s a technical video:

Old 08-02-2021, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry wrong one…that’s long & boring for the V8…the 4 is similar. Here’s a better one:

The following users liked this post:
slk55er (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 08:08 PM

Sorry wrong one…that’s long & boring for the V8…the 4 is similar. Here’s a better one:

https://youtu.be/Y3J69RlTcZ8
Yep. This is a subject on the SL forums in anticipation of the new R232 to be released soon. It's expected that the top AMG model will have this, an SL63e or SL73. Check it out here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...video-rbr.html

mikapen (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I know, but they certainly show what appears to be one. Check out this photo which is taken directly from the GLE53 Vehicle Features page along with the description...

"EQ Boost Integrated Starter-GeneratorElectrifying the inline-6 gasoline engine is an innovative Integrated Starter-Generator. It teams with a 48-volt lithium-ion battery, plus a power supply for formerly belt-driven components like the water pump and air-conditioning compressor. These advancements help reduce weight and enhance underhood packaging. In addition, EQ Boost can generate additional, gas-free power and torque for immediate response."

This is why it is confusing. Mixed messages and pictures in the "Features" section. The GLE450 page shows both this and the flywheel unit.

I am coming to grips with all these innovations and pictures.

Now, I'm pretty sure the unit in the above picture, separated by the green line, is the Air Conditioning compressor. It's shown twice, in both the installed and exploded positions.
And that's the front of the engine, with perhaps a harmonic balancer.
It looks like it may be positioned on the block to allow a future belt-driven application, if it ever comes to that.

I've had some misconceptions so far (it appears), and this discussion is helping.

Remember when you'd go to the Dealership and one of the first things you'd do was to open the hood, to view the latest stuff? Times gone by....
I don't even bother opening the hood any more, because everything's hidden by the aero engine cover.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by mikapen
I've had some misconceptions so far (it appears), and this discussion is helping.

Remember when you'd go to the Dealership and one of the first things you'd do was to open the hood, to view the latest stuff? Times gone by....
I don't even bother opening the hood any more, because everything's hidden by the aero engine cover.
Yes, I understand your perspective. I'm going to my dealer on Friday and intend to go to the service manager and ask two simple questions: Does the GLE580 engine include a flywheel "unit" that adds HP and torque to the drivetrain? Is there a separate starter/generator?

I think you are right -- it is the AC compressor. I looked at my CLS53 and see AC hoses connected to this part. Why would MB on mbusa.com show this and call it out while having text that highlights the EQ Boost ISG? With this photo is the text:

"EQ Boost Integrated Starter-Generator
Electrifying the inline-6 gasoline engine is an innovative Integrated Starter-Generator. It teams with a 48-volt lithium-ion battery, plus a power supply for formerly belt-driven components like the water pump and air-conditioning compressor. "

and with "Integrated Starter-Generator" why would they not include "Motor"? I guess it's the AC compressor rather than the starter/generator that they are highlighting.

Your helpful insights give me hope that all is well and that, indeed, the 580 engine does incorporate the ISG which serves all four functions: flywheel, starter, motor, generator. I'll try to confirm this with the dealer and also try to confirm that there is not a separate starter/generator. In any case, the info on mbusa.com is inconsistent across models and confusing to say the least. Thanks again.

Last edited by slk55er; 08-03-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
...........and with "Integrated Starter-Generator" why would they not include "Motor"? I guess it's the AC compressor rather than the starter/generator that they are highlighting......
My thought is that the "Starter" is the "Motor."
You're right - the captions don't always seem to match the pics.
slk55er (08-03-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK Thank you. That helps. It's interesting that MB would show this photo for the E450 along with this dialogue:

"EQ Boost Integrated Starter-GeneratorElectrifying the inline-6 gasoline engine is an innovative Integrated Starter-Generator. It teams with a 48-volt lithium-ion battery and power supply for formerly belt-driven components like the water pump and air-conditioning compressor, reducing weight and enhancing underhood packaging. In addition, EQ Boost can generate additional, gas-free power and torque for immediate response."

Why would they show this 4-cyl engine while mentioning the inline-6? As I suggested earlier --- bad coordination between the sales promo and engineering staffs.

I'd still like to know what the configuration of the 580 engine is. Does it have a flywheel unit like our CLS53s, whatever one may call it and what purpose does it serve -- only a motor function? Or does the 580 only have that small "starter/generator" at the front of the engine as shown in some of the previous photos and is it belt driven? Even if it is not belt driven, why have that is there is a flywheel/motor/starter/generator as in our CLS53s?
Perhaps I'll get a clear answer from the Tech forum.
I had a few minutes today to research the Flywheel issue. YouTube seems to have scrubbed the older Factory Videos or maybe Mercedes removed them. I found this video that shows a parts explosion of the ISG at about 1 minute 25 seconds. You can freeze the video and slide back and forth to view the parts. There is no conventional Flywheel visible.