GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

We will see what happen I guess :/

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 09:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 BMW 535d, 2021 GLE 450
We will see what happen I guess :/

So yesterday my new 2021 GLE 450 with 2400+ miles on it popped a check engine light. Called the dealer and the quickest available time I could be seen to get it looked at is Aug 5th which is a little frustrating since it seems like it's so far but in all honesty....it's whatever since it's under warranty. It happened when my wife was going to work in very normal conditions in the Raleigh area and after she got home since it wasn't flashing I checked for loss of power (none noticed) and any issues that would seem unusual like anything odd. Has worked great up until this point and I don't want to have a bad outlook yet so I'll stay positive. I did go by AutoZone since I know they can read the codes and to my surprise they could not read the codes as nothing came up with the tool they used. I'm not sure if I should be surprised or not by that though. I'll go on Saturday when I finally get some time since the mechanics leave at 5PM and I cant get off in time to get it seen today or tomorrow. I'll follow up with hopefully some decent news since reliability of these seems to be a hot topic and just thought I'd share my thought to see what peoples thought s were on this. Kind of unfortunate but it is what it is...for now.
Attached Thumbnails We will see what happen I guess :/-pic-1-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Money Bagz; 07-29-2021 at 09:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Imanone (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 08:22 AM

Received 342 Likes on 182 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4matic
My 350 spent more time with the dealer than me for the first month of ownership. CEL was caused by a defective charcoal vapor recovery canister and at the height of the scamdemic shutdowns, their parts supply chain was almost non existent. It was indeed frustrating and I feared I'd just bought a lemon but with 18 months of happy ownership behind me, I have no regrets.
Imanone (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 08:30 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
Welcome to the forum Money Bagz. Always nice to see another fellow NC'er
Where did you buy you new car? Raleigh? Cary? Durham?
GL to you!

Luck777: what do you mean by Scamdemic? Are you an anti vaxx person?
Old 07-30-2021, 11:02 AM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
2022 GLE 450, 2024 Volvo XC 60
Originally Posted by Money Bagz
So yesterday my new 2021 GLE 450 with 2400+ miles on it popped a check engine light. Called the dealer and the quickest available time I could be seen to get it looked at is Aug 5th which is a little frustrating since it seems like it's so far but in all honesty....it's whatever since it's under warranty. It happened when my wife was going to work in very normal conditions in the Raleigh area and after she got home since it wasn't flashing I checked for loss of power (none noticed) and any issues that would seem unusual like anything odd. Has worked great up until this point and I don't want to have a bad outlook yet so I'll stay positive. I did go by AutoZone since I know they can read the codes and to my surprise they could not read the codes as nothing came up with the tool they used. I'm not sure if I should be surprised or not by that though. I'll go on Saturday when I finally get some time since the mechanics leave at 5PM and I cant get off in time to get it seen today or tomorrow. I'll follow up with hopefully some decent news since reliability of these seems to be a hot topic and just thought I'd share my thought to see what peoples thought s were on this. Kind of unfortunate but it is what it is...for now.
Hope they get it resolved ASAP. Are they giving you a loaner insofar as they can’t work on the car until Aug 5? Hope the dealers in the Triangle have decent service. Our 450 was ordered in CLT and we will be moving to Apex. Don’t expect delivery until late Sept-early Oct.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:39 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Imanone
Hope they get it resolved ASAP. Are they giving you a loaner insofar as they can’t work on the car until Aug 5? Hope the dealers in the Triangle have decent service. Our 450 was ordered in CLT and we will be moving to Apex. Don’t expect delivery until late Sept-early Oct.
Another NC'er!
I'd highly recommend CW Performance - Mercedes-Benz Service for Cary, Raleigh NC. Located in Apex NC
Old 07-30-2021, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
If the check engine light is not flashing, there's probably no critical error.
I'd verify with the Dealer about this, but I've been told to just keep driving the car and bring it in when convenient. No need for panic.
But I understand your concern. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by hyperion667
Welcome to the forum Money Bagz. Always nice to see another fellow NC'er
Where did you buy you new car? Raleigh? Cary? Durham?
GL to you!

Appreciate the warm welcome! I bought it in Durham. They had a 450 on the lot when we were looking and of course it got bought pretty quickly so we ordered on at the end of Feb and took delivery May 29th. I am aware of CW Performance and I would easily recommend them to anyone that has a Benz as well they are fantastic and very reasonable. We are going to take the car to the dealer in Durham for the first 4 services since we were able to get maintenance plan. It's really hit or miss if it was worth it but at the end of the day Durham is way closer than apex and just less hassle in the beginning and CW. It will eventually go strictly to CW for all work after those services though.

They did not offer a loaner which is unusual but kind of expected...the dealerships in Durham and Cary look like used car lots right now. The second a Benz comes in it's sold either the same day or a day or so later. My wife used the Cary dealership for 8 years of maintenance before I met her and opened her eyes to CW's and well we never though for a second about not using CW's. they had a loaner for us as well which is nice since it a third party shop.

Originally Posted by mikapen
If the check engine light is not flashing, there's probably no critical error.
I'd verify with the Dealer about this, but I've been told to just keep driving the car and bring it in when convenient. No need for panic.
But I understand your concern. Good luck.
We were told that and I checked the manual and since it's not flashing kept driving it and since it's under warranty I guess the worst that could happen is were stranded somewhere while it's towed...I don't think that will happen but I can keep everyone posted.

Thanks all and will keep you all posted.
hyperion667 (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 12:37 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I've also had some good work done in Chapel Hill at A Better Wrench which also only works on MB's Probably going there next week for the brake fluid service.
You're right, CW is quite a ways but they do excellent work.
Enjoy the ride!
Old 07-30-2021, 01:35 PM

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
2021 GLS450
Originally Posted by hyperion667
prob not worth opening that can of worms here. we're an entitled bunch here on this forum - we want what we want when we want it, global pandemic be damned!
The following 3 users liked this post by jomama:
BACnMercedes (07-30-2021), hyperion667 (07-30-2021), Lucky 777 (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 04:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 580
I had the check engine light come on a few months ago upon starting it after the vehicle sat for a week or so. Went to get gas and run a few errands in the hope that it would go off after warming the engine a bit. Took it to the dealer as they were able to get me in right away. After a few hours of testing and driving, they were unable to replicate the CEL and no codes were stored. The CEL has not come on since (knock on wood).
Old 07-30-2021, 05:05 PM

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Lightbulb

Go get more gas and make sure you really tighten the gas cap and drive it for a couple of dozen miles. Worked for me.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:31 PM

Just wanted to give everyone a update. The earliest I can get the vehicle worked on is this coming Thursday but they did find out what the issue is. Found out it was a EVAP leak. I hope it's not something super time consuming but I also hop they don't "fix it" and give it back and then it's a on-going issue. I got my fingers crossed and already checked the gas cap after filling it up. It's also been driven about 100 miles since it came on and since it's just a EVAP leak know it's mostly harmless to the vehicle. I still don't think I'll get a loaner which is annoying but when you walk into the Dealership and see a Dodge Challenger SRT Demon as the Flagship car inside...they might have a issue with stock...Although I wouldn't mind taking that out as the loaner haha! They also just got a Huracan as a trade in for a G-wagon so maybe that instead.
The following 2 users liked this post by Money Bagz:
Imanone (08-01-2021), nextmilenium (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 10:32 AM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
2022 GLE 450, 2024 Volvo XC 60
Just wanted to give everyone a update. The earliest I can get the vehicle worked on is this coming Thursday but they did find out what the issue is. Found out it was a EVAP leak. I hope it's not something super time consuming but I also hop they don't "fix it" and give it back and then it's a on-going issue. I got my fingers crossed and already checked the gas cap after filling it up. It's also been driven about 100 miles since it came on and since it's just a EVAP leak know it's mostly harmless to the vehicle. I still don't think I'll get a loaner which is annoying but when you walk into the Dealership and see a Dodge Challenger SRT Demon as the Flagship car inside...they might have a issue with stock...Although I wouldn't mind taking that out as the loaner haha! They also just got a Huracan as a trade in for a G-wagon so maybe that instead.
Not sure why they won't give you a loaner. We have a few issues with our 2020 E350 and had to wait ten days to get an appt which included a loaner. We could have gotten an earlier appt, but no loaner and I didn't want to cool my heels for god knows how long at the dealership. We got the car at Hendricks Northlake. They have also had the same Demon inside. They must ship it around NC for some reason. What exactly is an EVAP leak?
Old 08-12-2021, 07:46 PM

Not sure why they won't give you a loaner. We have a few issues with our 2020 E350 and had to wait ten days to get an appt which included a loaner. We could have gotten an earlier appt, but no loaner and I didn't want to cool my heels for god knows how long at the dealership. We got the car at Hendricks Northlake. They have also had the same Demon inside. They must ship it around NC for some reason. What exactly is an EVAP leak?
Per RepairPal.com

https://repairpal.com/evaporative-control-system

Evaporative Emission Control (EVAP) System
The evaporative emission control (EVAP) system captures gasoline fumes and other emissions produced when fuel evaporates within the gas tank or fuel system. The EVAP system then returns these vapors to the combustion process to keep harmful chemicals from reaching the air when the vehicle is not running.

After getting my GLE into the shop last week on the 5th, they did a bit of testing with another GLE that was also in the shop and found that my Charcoal Canister Diagnostic Module failed. They did replace it with a new one of course which resolved the issue and I was able to get the car the same day with 0 issues. Do I think it's a little crazy that failed so early...yeah...but as long as it's an easy fix and I'm not going back all the time I guess I can be happy it's a easy painless experience. I assume when there is a EVAP leak it could of course vary but I guess the issue I had was the module was not able to allow the vapor to be purged into the combustion process.

Last edited by Money Bagz; 08-12-2021 at 07:48 PM.
Imanone (08-12-2021)