GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Poor Down Shifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 657 Likes on 415 Posts
2023 S500
Well Ron, there are people—including myself—that are experiencing rough downshifting. Having someone report a potential solution is interesting to myself and potentially others that are experiencing this and I don’t think conclusions can be drawn one way or the other.

What does Porsche and Audi have to do with this discussion?

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Nice try, but there is no known correlation reported here. Just to be clear, there is no “everyone” with rough downshifts. Rough downshifts seem to be rare and reported on the GLE350 that doesn’t have an ISG. The Porsche Forum and Audi Forum have similar (infrequent) reports of rough downshifting and no ISG.
Since you are new here you probably missed other solutions reported…like an exhaust sensor and a transmission valve. Resetting “Learn Mode” works occasionally. Many of us have never experienced rough shifting on the V167.
The following 3 users liked this post by Frenetic:
chassis (11-13-2022), mred1226 (04-11-2023), TonyF61 (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,023 Likes on 694 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Frenetic
How do you know it’s only 1 out of 100-200,000? Have any real data to back that up?
Well Ron, there are people—including myself—that are experiencing rough downshifting. Having someone report a potential solution is interesting to myself and potentially others that are experiencing this and I don’t think conclusions can be drawn one way or the other.
What does Porsche and Audi have to do with this discussion?
This is drifting away from your original question. I disagreed with the conclusion about the ISG after the first reported ISG problem in almost 4 years. Here’s what was said-“Further evidence that the 48V EQ-boost system is a total failure from MB on 167.” One issue solved doesn’t deserve that type of conclusion, IMO. It might be helpful to others with those same symptoms and kudos to the Dealer that solved that issue.

Harsh downshifts are real and those posting here are probably looking for helpful solutions. Those harsh downshifts that are repeatable have a better chance of getting fixed if the Dealer can actually observe the issue. The transient ones might have several causes and will be more difficult to resolve. No one wants that in their vehicle.
My wife’s 5 year old Audi has an occasional harsh downshift into 2nd gear. It’s happened maybe a dozen times and might be from dropping down 2 gears instead of one (4-2). Other Forums have similar reports so my point here is that it’s not a Mercedes exclusive problem. The transmission is a very complex mixture of gears, valves and sensors controlled by software in the TCU. It might not be the easiest issue to diagnose and there appear to be some differences in symptoms reported by owners.

Old 11-13-2022, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
I agree that they are real, but to outright discount a potential lead isn’t being helpful. I also agree that there are many potential issues that are plaguing this transmission. Just because others haven’t experienced the issue doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Nice try, but there is no known correlation reported here. Just to be clear, there is no “everyone” with rough downshifts. Rough downshifts seem to be rare and reported on the GLE350 that doesn’t have an ISG. The Porsche Forum and Audi Forum have similar (infrequent) reports of rough downshifting and no ISG.
Since you are new here you probably missed other solutions reported…like an exhaust sensor and a transmission valve. Resetting “Learn Mode” works occasionally. Many of us have never experienced rough shifting on the V167.

Harsh downshifts are real and those posting here are probably looking for helpful solutions. Those harsh downshifts that are repeatable have a better chance of getting fixed if the Dealer can actually observe the issue. The transient ones might have several causes and will be more difficult to resolve.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,023 Likes on 694 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I agree that they are real, but to outright discount a potential lead isn’t being helpful. I also agree that there are many potential issues that are plaguing this transmission. Just because others haven’t experienced the issue doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
That’s a blatantly incorrect…why did you cut out this part that says the opposite?

I disagreed with the conclusion about the ISG after the first reported ISG problem in almost 4 years. Here’s what was said-“Further evidence that the 48V EQ-boost system is a total failure from MB on 167.” One issue solved doesn’t deserve that type of conclusion, IMO. It might be helpful to others with those same symptoms and kudos to the Dealer that solved that issue.
Old 11-13-2022, 09:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,882 Likes on 3,054 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by MBguy013
How does this imply a total failure from MB?
Read the large volume of posts on this site on the system across all models. After you have done this reading (it will take you a while), draw your own conclusion.
E55Greasemonkey (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 10:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes 2022 GLE 350
Originally Posted by randsny
I am reaching out to members asking you about GLE's transmission and do you experience rough down shifting. I just picked up my 2021 GE450 and from the start I have noticed rough down shifts from 4 - 3 and 3- 2. Most of the time it is a little jerk or stutter...
Please help!!!
I had the same issue in my new 22' GLE. The problem went away within 500 miles of driving. I suspect it was an adjustment made by what ever controls the transmission shifting if that's possible... something fixed it... was a very noticible clunk in 4-2 gear downshift that doesn't happen any more.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE 350 4matic-Porsche Cayman
My 2018 GLE 350 4 matic is clunking from 4 to 3. At first I thought I hit a pot hole. It occurs once per day. Dealer said there are no codes, so they did nothing. My question is; is this damaging anything?
Old 04-05-2023, 05:50 PM

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
Originally Posted by easyedwin
My 2018 GLE 350 4 matic is clunking from 4 to 3. At first I thought I hit a pot hole. It occurs once per day. Dealer said there are no codes, so they did nothing. My question is; is this damaging anything?
My 2018 GLE 550e had the problem and was finally fixed with a new transmission valve body. Took 2 months to get one sent from Germany.

easyedwin (04-05-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 02:26 PM

Received 194 Likes on 122 Posts
2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport
My '22 GLE 450 (7200 miles) is in for the 3rd time due to undiagnosed, intermittent rough downshifting. I have taken it to 3 different dealerships and it is currently at the one where I purchased it new (1 hour away from my house).

- First time @ 3419 miles (dealer A), technician could not duplicate concern and no repair was done.
- Second time @ 6459 miles (dealer B), a code had been stored (U014600) and a software update was performed + "Intelligent Predictive" repair for downshifting.
- Third time (dealer C), currently being diagnosed. Upon checking in, the service adviser confirmed openly this is a common problem on V167s and that short of a reset, there wasn't much that has been offered in terms of a fix. He is aware there's much frustration but his response left much to be desired ("we'll check and see what we can find").

I should hear back in the next couple of days but I'm ready to escalate this beyond the dealership/s.
Has everyone experiencing this issue just given up as I don't see much noise about this anymore or has an actual fix been proposed? I know there was a poll going a few months ago on who was experiencing this but don't see it anymore. I'm not here to debate whether this is an actual problem as Mercedes-Benz dealerships have admitted it actually is. I am aware some users have not had this problem. I have read all posts/threads and see only 2 things that point to the problem (valve body, EQ-Boost motor assembly).

I hope to be able to shed some light in the coming days pending results from my latest service visit.
T/y

Last edited by djgiovanni; 04-10-2023 at 02:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by djgiovanni:
chassis (04-10-2023), mred1226 (04-11-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 02:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by djgiovanni
My '22 GLE 450 (7200 miles) is in for the 3rd time due to undiagnosed, intermittent rough downshifting. I have taken it to 3 different dealerships and it is currently at the one where I purchased it new (1 hour away from my house).

- First time @ 3419 miles (dealer A), technician could not duplicate concern and no repair was done.
- Second time @ 6459 miles (dealer B), a code had been stored (U014600) and a software update was performed + "Intelligent Predictive" repair for downshifting.
- Third time (dealer C), currently being diagnosed. Upon checking in, the service adviser confirmed openly this is a common problem on V167s and that short of a reset, there wasn't much that has been offered in terms of a fix. He is aware there's much frustration but his response left much to be desired ("we'll check and see what we can find").

I should hear back in the next couple of days but I'm ready to escalate this beyond the dealership/s.
Has everyone experiencing this issue just given up as I don't see much noise about this anymore or has an actual fix been proposed? I know there was a poll going a few months ago on who was experiencing this but don't see it anymore. I'm not here to debate whether this is an actual problem as Mercedes-Benz dealerships have admitted it actually is. I am aware some users have not had this problem. I have read all posts/threads and see only 2 things that point to the problem (valve body, EQ-Boost motor assembly).

I hope to be able to shed some light in the coming days pending results from my latest service visit.
T/y
The summary is: MB transmissions are bad. The behavior you describe, while unacceptable and annoying, is normal. The dealer will "check it", do nothing, and return the vehicle to you, possibly washed but this cannot be certain.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:05 PM

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts
2021 GLE450
I have the issue, and it was improved after a software update, although strangely not immediately after. The problem still exists, it's just not as severe or as frequent. It was bad enough for me that I would have gotten rid of the car had it not improved.
chassis (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 03:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
GLE 450
Hello Djgiovanni
I have had the same exact problem. I took it to dealer last month for the third time, received a software update, and it was completely fixed--for one week. Now it runs the same as it has with rough downshifting, especially from 4th gear to 3rd gear. It is intermittent, but occurs multiple times per day with varying degree of severity.
I don't know what else to do. Is this something to escalate to a lemon law??
chassis (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by cypress822
Hello Djgiovanni
I have had the same exact problem. I took it to dealer last month for the third time, received a software update, and it was completely fixed--for one week. Now it runs the same as it has with rough downshifting, especially from 4th gear to 3rd gear. It is intermittent, but occurs multiple times per day with varying degree of severity.
I don't know what else to do. Is this something to escalate to a lemon law??
I for one would not in this case as the vehicle is not broken down nor is it causing me downtime on my daily activities. While extremely annoying and unacceptable for a Mercedes-Benz, the car has been solid otherwise. I will however, escalate to MBUSA and see what happens from there.

Every state has different protocols for "Lemon Law" if you are thinking about it. You may want to research it for your neck of the woods. I know some members here have gone that route on this and other brands.
I believe the common denominator is, if the vehicle has gone to the dealer 3 or more times for the same issue and it hasn't or cannot be remedied, you have a good chance to apply the Lemon Law since you have given the brand opportunities to fix the problem.

Last edited by djgiovanni; 04-10-2023 at 07:17 PM.
chassis (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 06:49 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 GLE450
I went through the same run around, until they finally replaced the torque converter/ electric boost assembly. This solved the problem for me. Do not settle for this is a common problem and there is no fix, it could be a bad torque converter/electric boost assembly. Mercedes slogan is the Best or Nothing. You buy Mercedes for their service reputation and quality of cars. If you want poor service, there are plenty of other options to choose from. Stay at them. Good Luck.
wildta (01-26-2024)
Old 04-10-2023, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Anyone actually know what causes the clunking? Is it simply gear teeth not seating properly and hitting each other when it changes gear?
Old 04-10-2023, 07:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Clunking is insufficiently controlled torque transfer. This could be hydraulic (software e.g. MB engineers' wild dreams, electronics e.g. speed or position sensors, or hardware e.g. valves) or mechanical (clutch plates, splines, bearings, gears). No one has definitively isolated the cause. Because it is a built in feature on nearly new/low mileage transmissions, it is 100% certain to be an engineering and/or manufacturing failure from MB.

In the 7G box the K3 clutch is overworked and is only released for 4th gear. Common clunks on 7G are into and out of 4th gear, ie 3<=>4 and 4<=>5. Conductor plates, aka mechatronic units, are a known weak or wear item for 7G.

The shift table is different for 9G but we can be confident that the MB family genealogy, or special seasoning, has been handed down from 7G to 9G.

Last edited by chassis; 04-10-2023 at 07:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
Frenetic (04-10-2023), MBguy013 (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,171 Likes on 842 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by chassis
Clunking is insufficiently controlled torque transfer. This could be hydraulic (software e.g. MB engineers' wild dreams, electronics e.g. speed or position sensors, or hardware e.g. valves) or mechanical (clutch plates, splines, bearings, gears). No one has definitively isolated the cause. Because it is a built in feature on nearly new/low mileage transmissions, it is 100% certain to be an engineering and/or manufacturing failure from MB.

In the 7G box the K3 clutch is overworked and is only released for 4th gear. Common clunks on 7G are into and out of 4th gear, ie 3<=>4 and 4<=>5. Conductor plates, aka mechatronic units, are a known weak or wear item for 7G.

The shift table is different for 9G but we can be confident that the MB family genealogy, or special seasoning, has been handed down from 7G to 9G.
The majority of owners, myself included, have zero transmission issues. How you can continually claim there is an engineering issue is beyond me.
The following 2 users liked this post by GregW / Oregon:
C280 Sport (04-17-2024), chassis (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
The majority of owners, myself included, have zero transmission issues. How you can continually claim there is an engineering issue is beyond me.
Heart disease is a major killer of American men in this country. It doesn’t mean everyone has it, nor does it mean it doesn’t exist simply because you yourself don’t have it.
chassis (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,171 Likes on 842 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Heart disease is a major killer of American men in this country. It doesn’t mean everyone has it, nor does it mean it doesn’t exist simply because you yourself don’t have it.
Uh, okay, My point is that if something is poorly engineered there are likely to be very widespread issues, which I don’t think are evidenced by the smattering of issues seen here (and remember forums get mor complaints than kudos). You may get premature failures (could also be an QC issue), but most will not perform impeccably if not properly engineered.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Let me ask you this. What do you think is the cause of the reported issues? Poor production quality? Every issue has a cause. Engineering and design maybe?

Just because a problem isn’t “widespread,” which is subjective in itself, doesn’t mean there isn’t an engineering problem buried inside. There’s a fallacy in thinking that an engineering problem should affect 100% of the product. That couldn’t be further from the truth. Think about all of the engineering disasters in airplanes that were found and fixed because one plane crashed and everyone focused on it. Engineering flaws that were always there but only manifested itself after a single failure.
chassis (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,152 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
You're doomed, Greg.
TonyF61 (04-11-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 07:11 AM

Received 184 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
I also experienced harsh downshifting. Escpecially going from 3rd to 2nd. After reading about several complaints on this forum, I mentioned it to dealership. They corrected it on the first visit - see below. After getting it back, I was gentle with it for the first week or two. Now, it runs smooth as silk, no mater how agressive I get. BRING IT TO DEALER!!!! P.S. thanks to @mikapen for letting me know that it could be reset.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:00 PM

From the horse’s mouth, “these are bad transmissions”….

So I was called this morning by my service advisor informing the problem could not be duplicated and was invited to go in and drive the car with a service technician. Upon arrival, the service technician and shop foreman sat with me and proceeded to tell me that unfortunately these were bad gearboxes and that MB isn't really stepping up to the plate. They followed protocol and since there were no codes or anything grinding, MB did not approve further work.

We drove the car and the shop foreman was able to feel exactly what I was talking about. His comment was that most GLE’s drive that way. He wanted to be completely honest with me. He agreed to escalate the matter with MB customer relations. I left the car there and should here back in the next day or two.
Old 04-11-2023, 02:39 PM

Received 184 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
@djgiovanni , Ask them to do the "adaptations of trans module" - see # 72. Mine is running really smooth now, and it has been about five months since this was performed. It can't hurt. I beleive all it does is reset the trans which removes what it has learned about your driving habbits.
Old 04-11-2023, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by TonyF61
@djgiovanni , Ask them to do the "adaptations of trans module" - see # 72. Mine is running really smooth now, and it has been about five months since this was performed. It can't hurt. I beleive all it does is reset the trans which removes what it has learned about your driving habbits.
Thanks Tony.
We did that on my 2nd visit. Did not help at all.

R/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Poor Down Shifting