Poor Down Shifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 03:08 PM

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by djgiovanni
Thanks Tony.
We did that on my 2nd visit. Did not help at all.

R/
Wow, that's too bad. Good luck with it. Hope they figure it out soon.
I don't understand how so many customers can have different experiences with similar issues. We both have MY 22 GLE 450. Obviously a different issue than mine; but I often read, on here, about fixes for one customer that doesn't work for others. I find it baffling.

Last edited by TonyF61; 04-11-2023 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2023, 03:40 PM

Received 200 Likes on 127 Posts
2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport
Originally Posted by TonyF61
Wow, that's too bad. Good luck with it. Hope they figure it out soon.
I don't understand how so many customers can have different experiences with similar issues. We both have MY 22 GLE 450. Obviously a different issue than mine; but I often read about fixes for one customer that don't work for others. I find it baffling.
That's how it goes.... I have contacted them to do the reset in any case. At least, I am happy to know MB has admitted issues with the 9G trans. What I don't understand is how some have no issues (e.g. loaner is a 2022 GLC with the same box and it is smooth as water), and some do. My transmission is built in Germany as seen here. Not sure if others are made elsewhere.

Old 04-11-2023, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
"They all have it" is a preposterous statement. Not an encouraging statement on their prowess.

However the fact that they're keeping it might mean they've opened a direct line to MB for diagnosis of a different malady. That takes a while, and I think it might be because of the time zone difference.
The Factory requests a specific diagnostic, the next day the US shop reports, the next day the Factory investigates, and so on. But now there's more expertise brought to bear on the problem.

Good luck.
Old 04-14-2023, 03:49 PM

So the dealership contacted MBUSA and opened a case with them Tuesday afternoon.
There was no action Wednesday or Thursday. Today I noticed the car had been taken out multiple times and driven an average of 10 miles. I just tracked it and see that it is in the shop with the ignition on. I suspect MBUSA has agreed to further work though I have not received an update from the service advisor. Stay tuned.

The following users liked this post:
mikapen (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 733 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 S500
You have better patience than me. Of course, if the transmission is your only issue, then maybe it’s not a big deal. However, I think our transmissions were very, very similar in their failings. I don’t believe it’s a production problem. That is not to say it can’t be, but most of the major transmission components (I.e., gears, synchros, solenoids, etc.), are machine milled, made or forged and it’s probably hard to mess that up. It’s usually just one giant part that is bolted onto the engine and frame.

Good luck. I wouldn’t accept anything less than a perfectly running transmission. You can drive around a 5-year-old rented Chevrolet that sold for $25k new that shifts better.
chassis (04-14-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 03:25 PM

Received my car today.

Service advisor called me this morning and said they had been in touch with an assigned MBUSA engineer who directed on steps to take. Among many other things, they replaced the oil in the transfer case and did a valve-body flush along with the obligatory software update (although it had the latest). Did not help. Finally, they removed the FR seat to access CAN connector for the drivetrain and perform an adaptation of the up and down shifts. Did also a transfer case software update. Car is now downshifting smoothly although I'm calling no joy until I put another 100 miles to make sure it is consistent.

They did manage to put in 78 miles on the car in the 10 days they had it for diagnosis and repairs.

Last edited by djgiovanni; 04-18-2023 at 03:34 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by djgiovanni:
ddeliber (04-18-2023), HotRodW (04-18-2023), MBguy013 (04-18-2023), mikapen (04-18-2023), nguyensteve (05-04-2023), TonyF61 (04-19-2023), wildta (05-20-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-18-2023, 04:54 PM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
2021 GLE450
Well I'm happy to hear things are working better for you, @djgiovanni. Unfortunately for me, mine took a dramatic turn for the worse. (That's what I get for celebrating the improvement I reported.) Running several errands in mixed traffic Friday, it reverted to harsh downshifts at every single stop. For the first time it also wasn't up-shifting correctly. Hesitation and lurching were common when moving from a stop or at parking lot speeds. If it doesn't get any worse in the immediate future, I'll have it looked at when I return to have the whistling mirror replaced next month. But I won't deny the frustration is building.

Last edited by HotRodW; 04-24-2023 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-24-2023, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLE350
Hi All

I am having the same problem on my 2023 AMG GLE53.

While it downshifts from 3-2 it revs up over 2000 rpm sometimes. When it is “smooth” is goes to around 1,300 to 1,500. Hope the dealership can fix it … I had the car for two month and started noticing it recently. Dealership said it can be due to adaptive transmission.. let see what they find.

I also brought it in to have them check on a whistling sound when I go above 58 mph. I heard from them today and they found the issue. The windshield was too far apart from the roof so they need to remove and reseal to meet the specs. Hope that fixes the issue. My service center is usually pretty good so I hope they can fix both issues.

will fill everyone in if it gets fix
The following 2 users liked this post by Aznxnitro:
jsa1983 (04-25-2023), wildta (04-24-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Aznxnitro
Hi All

I am having the same problem on my 2023 AMG GLE53.

While it downshifts from 3-2 it revs up over 2000 rpm sometimes. When it is “smooth” is goes to around 1,300 to 1,500. Hope the dealership can fix it … I had the car for two month and started noticing it recently. Dealership said it can be due to adaptive transmission.. let see what they find.

I also brought it in to have them check on a whistling sound when I go above 58 mph. I heard from them today and they found the issue. The windshield was too far apart from the roof so they need to remove and reseal to meet the specs. Hope that fixes the issue. My service center is usually pretty good so I hope they can fix both issues.

will fill everyone in if it gets fix
The good thing here is that the dealer has acknowledged an issue and has a possible diagnosis. I trust it will be taken care of.
nguyensteve (05-04-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 10:06 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 GLE450 polar white AMG pkg.
Originally Posted by djgiovanni
The good thing here is that the dealer has acknowledged an issue and has a possible diagnosis. I trust it will be taken care of.
First I must say that I admire your determination to resolve this issue with MB. I have a GLE 450 my20 and have the same problem, though probably not as pronounced as yours. I have not pursued this with MB service and don’t plan to. You would think that a 9 speed transmission would shift feather smooth across the spectrum. In my opinion the transmission is trying to rev match as gears down-shift and the software is likely to blame. Lately I’ve been using eco mode and the issue is practically non existent. I’ve noticed I run on full hybrid mode with little or no load on the engine and I’m now getting close to 29 mpg around town. When I apply the brakes the engine re- engages so I’m of the opinion it’s programmed to help bring the vehicle to a stop. The issue we are experiencing is likely the interaction of the mild hybrid system and the in line 6 cylinder engine. Ironically in-line 6 cylinders are well known for their smooth balanced performance, not what many owners are experiencing here.
Sieveboy (05-04-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mm9351
First I must say that I admire your determination to resolve this issue with MB. I have a GLE 450 my20 and have the same problem, though probably not as pronounced as yours. I have not pursued this with MB service and don’t plan to. You would think that a 9 speed transmission would shift feather smooth across the spectrum. In my opinion the transmission is trying to rev match as gears down-shift and the software is likely to blame. Lately I’ve been using eco mode and the issue is practically non existent. I’ve noticed I run on full hybrid mode with little or no load on the engine and I’m now getting close to 29 mpg around town. When I apply the brakes the engine re- engages so I’m of the opinion it’s programmed to help bring the vehicle to a stop. The issue we are experiencing is likely the interaction of the mild hybrid system and the in line 6 cylinder engine. Ironically in-line 6 cylinders are well known for their smooth balanced performance, not what many owners are experiencing here.
I understand. It is a hassle having to come to bad terms, let alone, fight with the dealership. I had no choice but to pursue it. As much as I liked my GLE I did not want to drive it as it bothered me too much. Whether the car got fixed in the end or not, I cannot say as I only had it 5 days after repairs were made and trade it for a GLE53. I can say this new one does NOT exhibit any harsh shifting at all, up or down or in any gear or dynamic mode. I am happy now and hopefully the outgoing GLE will be trouble free for the next owner. It is absolutely mint after all.

mm9351 (05-08-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 10:35 AM

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
Nice MPG! Would you please elaborate on "full hybrid mode". I tried using ECO on highway, but didn't do much as I utilize cruise control, so wasn't worth the effort. Then, for me, local driving was constantly kicking in the engine as it was all stop and go driving.
Old 05-03-2023, 06:49 PM

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts
1986 Light Ivory R107 560SL, 2020 Lunar Blue W205 C300 AMG-line
I’d like to chime in as my 9 speed does the same. Sometimes it’s worse than others, and as someone else stated ECO has helped me as well. I also do find that it seems like the car is attempting to rev match on downshift causing it to feel like it’s kicking you in the a$$. I don’t mind the harshness in sport and sport+ but it gets a bit annoying when I’m driving in comfort mode.

A big reason for the behavior of this transmission has to do with its design and construction. The 9 speed multiclutch (MCT) is known to kick in the butt on downshift and that is normal for any multiclutch transmission. However torque converters should be smooth as that is pretty much their claim to fame. What I’m told happened with the 9g Tronic torque converter is that MB took their MCT and adapted it to be a standard torque converter. It is not uncommon for manufacturers to adapt their torque converters into MCTs, it is totally normal, easy to do and saves cash. However it is much much more difficult to go from an MCT to a traditional torque converter and that is the route MB went. In doing so it kept the same harsh shifting found in the MCT because of the transmission’s basic design. At least this is what I’m told and it seems to make sense to me.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:16 PM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by AzurSL
I’d like to chime in as my 9 speed does the same. Sometimes it’s worse than others, and as someone else stated ECO has helped me as well. I also do find that it seems like the car is attempting to rev match on downshift causing it to feel like it’s kicking you in the a$$. I don’t mind the harshness in sport and sport+ but it gets a bit annoying when I’m driving in comfort mode.

A big reason for the behavior of this transmission has to do with its design and construction. The 9 speed multiclutch (MCT) is known to kick in the butt on downshift and that is normal for any multiclutch transmission. However torque converters should be smooth as that is pretty much their claim to fame. What I’m told happened with the 9g Tronic torque converter is that MB took their MCT and adapted it to be a standard torque converter. It is not uncommon for manufacturers to adapt their torque converters into MCTs, it is totally normal, easy to do and saves cash. However it is much much more difficult to go from an MCT to a traditional torque converter and that is the route MB went. In doing so it kept the same harsh shifting found in the MCT because of the transmission’s basic design. At least this is what I’m told and it seems to make sense to me.
If it were inherent to the design, we would all experience the same behavior. Many forum members here do not have the issue at all, and those of us that do have it don't seem to experience it to the same degree. My GLE has been up and down (mostly down and currently way down), but our GLC's 9-speed has never exhibited the behavior. The difference is so dramatic that I find myself grabbing the GLC keys more and more.
The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
djgiovanni (05-03-2023), mm9351 (05-08-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 11:44 PM

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts
1986 Light Ivory R107 560SL, 2020 Lunar Blue W205 C300 AMG-line
Originally Posted by HotRodW
If it were inherent to the design, we would all experience the same behavior. Many forum members here do not have the issue at all, and those of us that do have it don't seem to experience it to the same degree. My GLE has been up and down (mostly down and currently way down), but our GLC's 9-speed has never exhibited the behavior. The difference is so dramatic that I find myself grabbing the GLC keys more and more.
Thats true, but then again not all 9 speed MCTs do it either, but they should as it is inherent to their design. I’ve driven some “smooth” 9g tronics and there are definitely some that are much smoother than others, but I have yet to drive one that is perfect. The best I’ve seen would be only be “acceptable” I agree with others that it is probably software related and maybe even has to do with the adaptations, but I doubt it’ll ever be perfect. Just my opinion based off what I’m told. I do hope what I’ve been told is wrong and that there is an actual fix, but based off my experience I lost hope.
Old 05-04-2023, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Thats true, but then again not all 9 speed MCTs do it either, but they should as it is inherent to their design. I’ve driven some “smooth” 9g tronics and there are definitely some that are much smoother than others, but I have yet to drive one that is perfect. The best I’ve seen would be only be “acceptable” I agree with others that it is probably software related and maybe even has to do with the adaptations, but I doubt it’ll ever be perfect. Just my opinion based off what I’m told. I do hope what I’ve been told is wrong and that there is an actual fix, but based off my experience I lost hope.
I would say mine is perfect.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:29 AM

I just recently got rid of my otherwise perfect GLE 450 exactly because of this. Even after 3 trips to different dealerships, oil changes, software updates, adaptations, etc., there was only improvement.
As you will see here, some have this problem, some don't.

Weird...
HotRodW (05-08-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 09:34 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
GLE downshifting

Perhaps the problem is similar across the board, however, some drivers are much more sensitive to the abrupt downshifts. My 2021 GLE does downshift in a manner that is not expected from a luxury vehicle. I do keep it in ECO mode to reduce the harshness of the downshift. If I forget to put it in ECO mode, I am abruptly reminded. Like many issues MB lets them linger from model year to model year , for example, on another model MB I own it has squeaky brakes on a 2018 I owned to the exact 2022 I currently own. Perhaps this is not just an issue with MB. If I really wanted the best fit and finish, reliability, and customer service I would buy a Lexus, too boring though.
nguyensteve (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 11:17 AM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by Bryce1023
Perhaps the problem is similar across the board, however, some drivers are much more sensitive to the abrupt downshifts. My 2021 GLE does downshift in a manner that is not expected from a luxury vehicle. I do keep it in ECO mode to reduce the harshness of the downshift. If I forget to put it in ECO mode, I am abruptly reminded. Like many issues MB lets them linger from model year to model year , for example, on another model MB I own it has squeaky brakes on a 2018 I owned to the exact 2022 I currently own. Perhaps this is not just an issue with MB. If I really wanted the best fit and finish, reliability, and customer service I would buy a Lexus, too boring though.
Possible except that some of us have experienced normal behavior as well as the harsh downshifting. The loaner GLE I had drove like it had a completely different gearbox - just like my GLC. Plus some technicians/service advisors have acknowledged it is not normal.
djgiovanni (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 03:20 PM

Possible except that some of us have experienced normal behavior as well as the harsh downshifting. The loaner GLE I had drove like it had a completely different gearbox - just like my GLC. Plus some technicians/service advisors have acknowledged it is not normal.
I had the harsh shifting no matter the mode on my previous MY22 GLE. The GLC I was loaned at the time with the same 9G-Tronic gearbox was as smooth as water. So is my current GLE. definitely not a matter of some owners being more sensitive to the shifting behavior than others.

Last edited by djgiovanni; 05-04-2023 at 03:27 PM.
HotRodW (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
2020 GLE 15k, 2021 GLE 53 17k, never a harsh shift-ever. I had a GMC truck with an 8 speed that occasionally had a harsh downshift when it decided to skip a gear downshifting. It’s hard to believe that one can’t recognize erratic behavior of any drive train component, but….

I doubt it’s a design flaw but more likely an internal valve. At least one member posted having a pressure valve replaced that resolved harsh shifting…as I recall it was a couple of years ago. How many Dealers have the capability to diagnose/repair transmission issues? Can get approval to repair? The probability is that the Dealer or Mercedes don’t want to tackle a tranny that isn’t broken.

Last edited by Ron.s; 05-04-2023 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 GLE450 polar white AMG pkg.
QUOTE=TonyF61;8770047]Nice MPG! Would you please elaborate on "full hybrid mode". I tried using ECO on highway, but didn't do much as I utilize cruise control, so wasn't worth the effort. Then, for me, local driving was constantly kicking in the engine as it was all stop and go driving.[/QUOTE]

Full hybrid mode; set dynamic drive to ECO. Watch tachometer as rpm’s drop to zero (auto start must be engaged; vehicle maintains a near constant speed on level or slight downhill grade even without cruise control engaged. I only recently discovered this after 2 years of vehicle ownership. Anyone else experience this ??

Last edited by mm9351; 05-08-2023 at 09:00 PM. Reason: .
TonyF61 (05-09-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 09:10 PM

2021 GLE450
Full hybrid mode; set dynamic drive to ECO. Watch tachometer as rpm’s drop to zero (auto start must be engaged; vehicle maintains a near constant speed on level or slight downhill grade even without cruise control engaged. I only recently discovered this after 2 years of vehicle ownership. Anyone else experience this ??
That's what Mercedes calls "sailing". In ECO mode and under the right conditions the engine will shut off at any speed on a downgrade or even a level stretch. The feature can have a significant impact on efficiency on long drives.
The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
mm9351 (05-08-2023), TonyF61 (05-09-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 09:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,948 Likes on 3,106 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
delete
Old 04-05-2024, 11:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 GLE450
Thumbs up Poor Down Shifting

I went into Mercedes this week and had them address a recall on my transmission control module (NHTSA Recall IS 24V118). Can report the reprograming the transmission control module has resolved my poor down shifting issues. I suggest if you are still having problems, call Mercedes and see if you can qualifies for the upgrade/reprograming.
The following 2 users liked this post by randsny:
cupecoy (04-08-2024), djgiovanni (04-05-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Poor Down Shifting