GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Interior Condensation GLE350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 09:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 GLE 450 4MATIC | 2003 SL55 AMG
Interior Condensation GLE350

Hi all... new to the forum. Searched the threads and can't find my issue. Looking for answers...

We took delivery of a new 2021 GLE350 back in August of this year. Black on black, night and AMG package. My first Mercedes!

A couple of weeks later, after a good Miami thunderstorm, and then some heat/sunshine, we opened the car to find all the windows drenched with condensation, on the INSIDE of the car. You could wipe your hand on the glass like a squeegee and the water would stream down; windshield, side windows, and especially the pano. I freaked out, thinking we left a window or the sunroof open, but everything was sealed. We found a full container of Lysol cleaning wipes in the back, so I chalked it up to the post-thunderstorm heat of the day evaporating the container and making it humid inside. We drove around with the A/C for a while and it eventually went away. We didn't really notice it again (as dramatic as that) for a few weeks (even though it was rainy season), but we would periodically find dried streaks of water inside the windshield. Looking back, I think it was happening again, just not to the same extant as the first time, and by the time we got back in the car, the sun had dried it off. However, last week, after a couple of good days of rain, it happened again. We got in the car and it was dry inside. We drove about 45 minutes with A/C on, parked, and had dinner. When we got in the car after a couple of hours, the inside glass was totally soaked like before. We dried it with towels, drove a little bit and parked. An hour later, I checked it again, and condensation again, but less than before. A couple of nights later, having driven the car in the interim, we opened the car to find another round of light condensation, even though it hadn't rained in those two days.

We called the MB dealer and our salesman (25 years experience) said he had never heard of that and of course, asked if we left a window/door/sunroof open. We are going to take it in for service tomorrow. We are concerned about this issue on a new car. Especially that it may lead to electrical problems down the road. We are worried that since it only happens after a good rain, maybe only certain temperature/humidity combinations will cause the issue, and the service center will never be able to replicate, much less troubleshoot it. We already thought of going to the extreme and trading the car in (used prices are good). We would hate to take a loss, but worried about the long term implications.

Anybody experience something similar? We have never experienced a problem like this in any of our other cars. Occasionally, on a humid cold night, I know body heat can make the windows fog-up, but nothing like this amount of condensation. Is there a vent or drain tube that may be clogged? Did we get a faulty pano (bad seal)? Are we running the A/C incorrectly? The salesman said not to use the recirculated air setting all the time, so we don't.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I owned a few MBs and have never heard of this. I think a few people on here have talked about the front floor board area collecting water if I remember correctly. Maybe someone will chime in about that. I would definitely head to the dealership. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Are you running the heat/AC on Re-circulation? That will cause humidity to increase.
Hope you find the culprit.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:05 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
There was a post somewhere where an owner was washing his GLE on an incline and all the water ended up entering the driver side floorboard, I recalled they took apart the entire dash to glue up a hole that was supposed to be done at the factory.
Old 11-11-2021, 03:07 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
On my 21 GLE 350 I have had this happen only one time where my driver side window and bottom of the windshield had condensation on the inside. This was a few months ago but it has not happened since. I am also located in Florida (Tampa Bay Area).

Luckily it is under warranty so it should not cost you anything to get it repaired. I am curious to hear what is causing the issue on your GLE.
Old 11-12-2021, 03:28 PM

Received 342 Likes on 182 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4matic
There are a lot of electronics in the low spot of the cars interior so you want to have this checked at the dealership as soon as possible!
Old 11-22-2021, 05:38 PM

Update on my condensation issue... The MB salesman and lead service writer were dumbfounded when I showed them the videos. Never seen anything like that. They suggested maybe an A/C problem, but the floor boards were completely dry. Service writer said he would research the issue with corporate and get back to me. Salesman suggested I go on MB website and write a complaint, so as to get the "lemon law" process started (this really got me worried). Or, with used values so high, trade the car in for another.

After thinking about their reaction, not hearing back from the Tech, and the near impossible success of the lemon law, we decide to take the hit and trade the car in. As unfair as life may be, we felt it was worth cutting our losses and saving the aggravation of countless trips to the dealer, hoping the weather conditions were just right to replicate the problem (while the car was at the dealer) and finding the source of the issue. Not to mention, the worry each time it rained that we would open the car and find it drenched again.

We are giving MB one more shot, only because it was my wife's dream car. We took advantage of the trade and upgraded to a GLE 450. It always felt like the 350 was laggy and underpowered. The 450 with EQ Boost (and now we have AWD) feels right. We also made up some of the loss by going from a 2021 to a 2022.

Thanks to all who gave suggestions on this forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by MBGuz305:
Flex360 (01-14-2022), Lanzz (11-23-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I heard the second time around with MB is better so at least you can have peace of mind now. I hope everything works out. Now let’s see a picture of this new ride!
Old 01-14-2022, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE350
Interesting I had the same thing happen to me and I’m also in Miami.

We had a heavy down poured even got a flash flooding warning messages on my phone. Went in the car and condensation every where I also though I left something open but it was all closed. I have had the car for 5 months and no issues beside regretting getting the four bagger. I hate how it sound we you need a little more get up and go and don’t get me started on the auto start. Just feel it need another 30 hp, but I too think will upgrade at some point.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:35 PM

@Flex360, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing the same problem. Maybe it's a Miami thing... We went about a month and a half with no problems, then on Dec 30th we got in the new car and again had some condensation. Nothing like with the prior car, but it was still there. I was mad, but fortunately it hasn't happened since. I don't know what to think anymore. I pray when the heat and humidity return, this won't be a recurring problem. I can't take another hit and don't want a BMW. LOL

I will say the 450 is worth it over the 350. Like you mentioned the 350 has the noisy ticking sound and the "auto-start" is annoying as hell. We always turned it off. With the EQ, you hardly feel it. You end up getting better MPG than the 350.

Love my car. I hope it doesn't break my heart.
The following users liked this post:
Flex360 (02-02-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 06:55 PM

Received 104 Likes on 53 Posts
2020 GLC43 | 2020 GLE350 | 2014 E350 (sold)
Could a roof drain line be clogged? Happens if you park outside under trees. You could get a moisture sensor to find where the dampness is:

The following users liked this post:
Flex360 (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE350
Originally Posted by MBGuz305
@Flex360, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing the same problem. Maybe it's a Miami thing... We went about a month and a half with no problems, then on Dec 30th we got in the new car and again had some condensation. Nothing like with the prior car, but it was still there. I was mad, but fortunately it hasn't happened since. I don't know what to think anymore. I pray when the heat and humidity return, this won't be a recurring problem. I can't take another hit and don't want a BMW. LOL

I will say the 450 is worth it over the 350. Like you mentioned the 350 has the noisy ticking sound and the "auto-start" is annoying as hell. We always turned it off. With the EQ, you hardly feel it. You end up getting better MPG than the 350.

Love my car. I hope it doesn't break my heart.
I do the same I turn it on abs simultaneously turn of the auto start LOL.