GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Burmaster.... Oh how I hate you so much!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,852 Likes on 2,575 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by cupecoy
I still don't quite get the MB process in regards to software updates. Last time when at the service center I spoke to an advisor in regards to the lack of continuous updates for the vehicle (only received 1 update in 2+ years of ownership).
His comment was in the line of "well it's not an iPhone". It appears that they would only update if you come in with a specific issue. I don't quite get why MB has not released at least 10 marginal / functionality updates in the past 2-3 years.
The Model Y Tesla we have gets updates with fixes and new functionality every 4-6 weeks. I feel like most legacy car makers have fallen behind significantly on the software front and need to catch up with the new reality, vehicles are now tablets on wheels.
Looking at the EQS and it's very marginally updated MBUX I feel like MB is stuck in the past on that platform. It looks old by now, and they added almost nothing new. Starting to contemplate whether I should pre-order a Lucid or Tesla SUV instead of MB EQE Suv.
Not sure about the specifics behind this particular update, but as far as I know there have been several MBUX OTA updates since it was released to fix bugs with no dealer visit required. I agree, though, they haven't added features. The major problem that the legacy manufacturers have is their architecture. A typical modern car coming out of Germany these days has a couple of hundred ECUs in it from a slew of different suppliers. Each using their own software architecture and communicating with each other over the standardized CAN bus. It's simply impossible to update these over the air, because there is no standardized software architecture across them. Tesla on the other hand has centralized many functions into fewer ECUs with a common software architecture, so they can update everything in the car via OTA updates.

Both approaches have their benefits. The German approach is more resilient. If one ECU fails, you typically only lose a subset of functions at a time while the rest of the car continues to work. With Tesla, if one of the main ECUs fails a bunch of things go dark. For example my business partner bought a Model 3 a couple of years ago. When he took delivery, the main computer had a hardware issue and kept crashing. It went dark on his way home, so he had no speedo, no nothing the entire way. All the drive functions are separate in a Tesla, so it keeps driving, but still.

MB has recently entered a partnership with Nvidia to develop a full car OS similar to Tesla for their future cars, and one major goal is that everything can be updated OTA. MB at least has recognized it, and also admits they can't do it on their own. Others like VW for example are trying to do it on their own, which I'm not very confident about. Better to have a real software company do it,

Last edited by superswiss; 12-30-2021 at 10:34 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by superswiss:
cupecoy (12-31-2021), haibieb (12-30-2021), jaxslk (12-30-2021), mikapen (12-30-2021), Ron.s (12-30-2021), Vladimir Livson (12-31-2021), W205C43PFL (01-03-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-30-2021, 10:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLE 53 SUV 22" wheels
Need to change your name to "NerdFantastique!!!" Nerds rule!
Old 12-30-2021, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by superswiss
MB has recently entered a partnership with Nvidia to develop a full car OS similar to Tesla for their future cars, and one major goal is that everything can be updated OTA. MB at least has recognized it, and also admits they can't do it on their own. Others like VW for example are trying to do it on their own, which I'm not very confident about. Better to have a real software company do it,
Hasn’t it been almost 2 years since they announced the SoC? My guess is that it won’t do any of us much good until we buy a new Gen. of Mercedes years from now when we get a redesigned GLE of some sort. I confess to having little Tech knoledge but it seems like the operating system is at least as important as the Chips. The German brands have elected to build their own OS but don’t seem to have enough dedicated resources to fix existing issues much less write a new OS. Some of MBUX is different in different vehicles.
GM and others are going with Google Automotive even though they are turning over an important piece to the Competition. As a user I want modern systems but am growing weary with being a Guinea Pig…after 3 years the GLE software is still buggy, IMO.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Hasn’t it been almost 2 years since they announced the SoC? My guess is that it won’t do any of us much good until we buy a new Gen. of Mercedes years from now when we get a redesigned GLE of some sort. I confess to having little Tech knoledge but it seems like the operating system is at least as important as the Chips. The German brands have elected to build their own OS but don’t seem to have enough dedicated resources to fix existing issues much less write a new OS. Some of MBUX is different in different vehicles.
GM and others are going with Google Automotive even though they are turning over an important piece to the Competition. As a user I want modern systems but am growing weary with being a Guinea Pig…after 3 years the GLE software is still buggy, IMO.
Yeah, it's probably been 2 years already with all the lost time due to the pandemic. The hardware side is one thing. Developing an entire OS is gonna take time. The Germans have their hands full with the chip shortage and all. They actually are getting forced to redesign their hardware in general. The big reason why the chip shortages affects car manufacturers so much (except for Tesla), is that the legacy manufacturer's have been relying on cheaper and older chip architectures, and the chip manufacturers don't really wanna restart or increase production for those. They wanna build newer chips on newer architectures. When Tesla saw the shortage coming they switched to different chips and adapted their software. Easier for them to do, because they have fewer ECUs as said. On the other hand Tesla relies on consumer electronics grade chips, which are not rated for extreme temperatures and other environmental factors that can occur in cars.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
As for the buggy software. I personally find the first generation of MBUX in these cars a bit of a dud. It was clearly rushed to market and shoehorned into the small dual display setup. I find it terrible from an ergonomics standpoint. Have to lean forward to use the touchscreen and can't stabilize one's arm, so it's like target practice trying to hit the right button on an uneven road, especially the firmer the suspension is. On the other hand, using the physical controls involves a lot of swiping to get where you need to be in the UI. Not to mention the lack of full screen for CarPlay. I'm glad my car has NTG 5.5, the latest version of COMAND. It's much more mature and works well with the physical controls. No stupid touchscreen that one has to reach for. So far the second generation of MBUX in the new S Class etc. is getting good reviews. They spent a lot of time on placement of the screen, so it can be operated without leaning forward. I personally still think touchscreens in cars are stupid. They require much more concentration to operate, but at least the interiors were now designed around them.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-30-2021 at 02:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
cupecoy (12-31-2021), haibieb (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 03:32 PM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
IMANONE I forgot to mention, that I picked up our GLE 450 on 11/3. Normally, updates are done automatically when your car/suv is in for service. At least that has been my experience with our local MB dealers. Navigation updates are done frequently over the cloud system. Good luck with your SUV. Let me add, that our technician had mentioned to me when I went to pick up our suv, that one of the reasons for so much updates and glitches with their electronics is that for example: the new GLE 450 has about 72+ electronic modules controlling a vast amount of functions both mechanically and software support systems. And it is not getting any better as new vehicles are manufactured along the way.

Last edited by haibieb; 12-30-2021 at 03:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Imanone (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I really don’t have a problem with the MBUX touchscreen since Voice and the 3 touchpads work so well. Some functions are several layers deep but they tend to be things that you set and forget. The fact that MBUX is 3 years old for the GLE next month and still has bugs every time something changes is a warning that there aren’t adequate resources and/or testing. There are a lot of nice features but it appears that too many different hands in each piece doesn’t let it play nice at times. At inception there were at least 5 different resources working on different pieces…several were outside vendors.
Imanone (12-30-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 08:14 AM

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
NCC-1701
Only 1 update so far on our 450. I think MB had a chance to upgrade the software experience with their new line of electric vehicles and they blew it.
Lucid already is basically there with the quality of materials, fit, and finish - I had the chance to drive their Grand Touring model and it was exceptional.
Rivian is up there too. Both of those companies literally just popped up on the market with their very first models. I feel legacy car makers are in trouble.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:39 PM

Got the vehicle back today. They did the Burmester software update. Slight noticeable difference in sound quality but definitely not a "night and day" difference. The update did fix the volume adjustment lowering the volume at a stop even when the option is turned off. They also performed a software update on the transmission because I was experiencing "bucking" in 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd gear. The tranny update corrected the problem and now its smooth upshift and downshifts. Took longer than usual because they're short handed due to the virus which wasn't a problem because I didn't need the vehicle during the service period.
I have my equalizer settings" Surround, set to rear seats, 8+ bass, -2 Mid, 7+ tweeter. Any other settings for me doesn't suit my ears. YEMV (your ears may vary ).
cupecoy (01-04-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 05:49 PM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
2022 GLE 450, 2024 Volvo XC 60
Originally Posted by phoenixone
Got the vehicle back today. They did the Burmester software update. Slight noticeable difference in sound quality but definitely not a "night and day" difference. The update did fix the volume adjustment lowering the volume at a stop even when the option is turned off. They also performed a software update on the transmission because I was experiencing "bucking" in 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd gear. The tranny update corrected the problem and now its smooth upshift and downshifts. Took longer than usual because they're short handed due to the virus which wasn't a problem because I didn't need the vehicle during the service period.
I have my equalizer settings" Surround, set to rear seats, 8+ bass, -2 Mid, 7+ tweeter. Any other settings for me doesn't suit my ears. YEMV (your ears may vary ).
Please refresh my crappy memory. Is your vehicle a 2022 450 and if so, when did you take delivery. TIA
Old 01-03-2022, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Imanone
Please refresh my crappy memory. Is your vehicle a 2022 450 and if so, when did you take delivery. TIA
2021 GLE 53 SUV. Got it in July 2021.
Imanone (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 06:04 PM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
2022 GLE 450, 2024 Volvo XC 60
Thanks!