GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Burmaster.... Oh how I hate you so much!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 05:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLE 53 SUV 22" wheels
Burmester.... Oh how I hate you so much!

I searched for threads to see if a GLE Burmester topic existed and I couldn't find one. If one exists, please move to appropriate thread. Sorry in advance.

I can not STAND Burmester sound system in 2021 GLE 53. Harman Kardon sounded SO much better. I'm a self proclaimed audiophile and I have a keen ear and was immediately able to tell the lower quality sound of the Burmester system. I could not afford the 3D sound upgrade which I read it has superior sound. I've adjusted and tweaked the settings to the best of my ability to get it to the level of sounding..... acceptable, And I'm being generous saying so. If you're an audiophile and also have a keen ability to hear the difference between a mid range system and a high end well balanced system, and are able to afford the $ for the 3D system, get it. This reminds me of when we had halogen headlights on our first 2006 ML lease and I regretted it for the entire length of the lease and when it was time to renew, I made sure I got the lighting package on 2009 ML and was so glad I did but the extra cost for it was not a wallet buster as the 3D sound is.
Just my opinion that I wanted to share. I know there are those that are very satisfied with the base Burmester and this is good that you're satisfied with it.
Happy I was able to barely afford the 53 but only because I ordered close to barebones with only a few options. Great vehicle! Blegh on the audio.

Last edited by phoenixone; 11-17-2021 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 11-17-2021, 06:12 PM

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts
2022 GLE450
You might have trouble based on the fact that you spelled it wrong. Burmester
Old 11-17-2021, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,852 Likes on 2,575 Posts
2019 C63CS
What exactly is Burmaster? Is that some Chinese knockoff? It's Burmester. Spelling it correctly might find some more useful information. FWIW, in my C63 it sounded kinda **** until I turned on the surround sound. W/o it, it sounds like everything is coming out of a tin can in the dash. I also adjusted the equalizer a bit. I don't listen to high quality source material in the car, though, so the quality is mainly a function of the source. For me, the V8 sound, exhaust and road noise kinda makes it pointless to have a high quality sound system in a car.
The following users liked this post:
Ron.s (12-30-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 06:25 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2021 GLE 450
I agree the mid range (premium package) Burmester system sounds like complete crap. It is brutally punched up in the mid-bass. I know the kids like this kind of sound but they aren't the ones buying GLEs.

For my USB music I have to run the equalizer at Bass=-2, Mid=+7 and High=+6, and the sound is tolerable. There is no reduction in real bass, only the mud between I'm guessing 100-200 Hz.

This system coupled with the Satellite radio which is also punched up in this frequency range, results in unlistenable mud. Plus the muddy vibrations are transferred directly into the dead pedal - having the woofers in the footwells is another huge design flaw. I haven't driven another vehicle with this setup - does anybody else do this? It makes me feel like I have neuropathy in my left foot.

I rented a Chevy Traverse the other day and its stereo absolutely destroyed the one in my GLE. Magnificent quality of sound. Say what you like about GM, but somebody there has ears.
phoenixone (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
It's almost like they forgot to install the subwoofer in the GLE's. Magnet shortage?
gordicello (05-16-2022)
Old 11-17-2021, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
@phoenixone It's also "Harman Kardon," but it wasn't hard to get your drift.

My low-end Burmester sounded like cr*p, but I was able to tweak it so it's almost acceptable. It improved immensely after a software update, sometime last fall. But it's not anything you'd invite your fellow audiophiles over to show off.
I take it back - I had a fellow audiophile spend an hour in the car with me, listening to several high quality sources, and improved the sound a lot. But it's not M-B's normal quality, IMO.
It's one of the few systems that I actually prefer the Surround ON, so don't ignore that as you fiddle with the controls.

Your analogy to the headlights is appropriate. I WILL NOT own anything with plain lighting. This time, my High End Burmester was left off the order but I took it anyway because of all the delays.
The High End Burmester is worth every penny. I had one in our '20 GLE450, and I'd go to the garage, turn on the massage seats, and listen. There's a "VIP seat" setting that focuses the sound right there, and all the speakers are in phase right where you sit. It's an amazing experience, and it sounds good - quiet or loud.
But you do sacrifice a spare tire for the subwoofer.

Try searching for "subwoofer." Several people have posted about their experiences and installations. I'm not a Boom Boom listener, but I believe a lower bass takes a load off the other speakers, making them sound better. That's my experience with REL subs, too.
Also search for "audio," and you'll find references to some Euro speaker and amp kits that might work. I may go that route too.

I'm a Dynaudio Guy, and I was introduced to that brand by my 2010 VW Tiguan. Also an excellent system seldom duplicated, tuned for the interior.
Good luck.
Maybe just listen to the weather. That's been my solution.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by hutch300
You might have trouble based on the fact that you spelled it wrong. Burmester
Corrected but site won't let me correct the thread subject misspell.
Thanks for pointing out my error 😊
Old 11-17-2021, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss
What exactly is Burmaster? Is that some Chinese knockoff? It's Burmester. Spelling it correctly might find some more useful information. FWIW, in my C63 it sounded kinda **** until I turned on the surround sound. W/o it, it sounds like everything is coming out of a tin can in the dash. I also adjusted the equalizer a bit. I don't listen to high quality source material in the car, though, so the quality is mainly a function of the source. For me, the V8 sound, exhaust and road noise kinda makes it pointless to have a high quality sound system in a car.
No. It's not "somekind if Chinese knockoff (way to go on the derogatory Chinese comment). It was a simple spelling error on my part which I corrected. Thank you
Old 11-17-2021, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by mikapen
@phoenixone It's also "Harman Kardon," but it wasn't hard to get your drift.

My low-end Burmester sounded like cr*p, but I was able to tweak it so it's almost acceptable. It improved immensely after a software update, sometime last fall. But it's not anything you'd invite your fellow audiophiles over to show off.
I take it back - I had a fellow audiophile spend an hour in the car with me, listening to several high quality sources, and improved the sound a lot. But it's not M-B's normal quality, IMO.
It's one of the few systems that I actually prefer the Surround ON, so don't ignore that as you fiddle with the controls.

Your analogy to the headlights is appropriate. I WILL NOT own anything with plain lighting. This time, my High End Burmester was left off the order but I took it anyway because of all the delays.
The High End Burmester is worth every penny. I had one in our '20 GLE450, and I'd go to the garage, turn on the massage seats, and listen. There's a "VIP seat" setting that focuses the sound right there, and all the speakers are in phase right where you sit. It's an amazing experience, and it sounds good - quiet or loud.
But you do sacrifice a spare tire for the subwoofer.

Try searching for "subwoofer." Several people have posted about their experiences and installations. I'm not a Boom Boom listener, but I believe a lower bass takes a load off the other speakers, making them sound better. That's my experience with REL subs, too.
Also search for "audio," and you'll find references to some Euro speaker and amp kits that might work. I may go that route too.

I'm a Dynaudio Guy, and I was introduced to that brand by my 2010 VW Tiguan. Also an excellent system seldom duplicated, tuned for the interior.
Good luck.
Maybe just listen to the weather. That's been my solution.
Geez. I'm a grammar nightmare tonight. My apologies to all. Corrected. 👍
The following 2 users liked this post by phoenixone:
haibieb (11-17-2021), mikapen (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,852 Likes on 2,575 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by phoenixone
No. It's not "somekind if Chinese knockoff (way to go on the derogatory Chinese comment). It was a simple spelling error on my part which I corrected. Thank you
Oh, easy there. I said nothing about the Chinese people. Just a reference to the well-known counterfeiting phenomenon prevalent in China.
The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
Imanone (11-20-2021), Neurobit (01-01-2022), Streamliner (01-04-2022)
Old 11-17-2021, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss
Oh, easy there. I said nothing about the Chinese people. Just a reference to the well-known counterfeiting phenomenon prevalent in China.
Understood.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,549 Likes on 2,167 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Relatively common complaint, some say tweaking the settings (one of them has to do with the surround sound superswiss mentioned above), the rest is about a software update performed, please see the posts below (same thread)
Post #53: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post8278595
Post #57: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post8279094
Post #86: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post8323929
Post #98: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post8389456
Post #106: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post8390927

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 11-17-2021 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:19 PM

Thank you so very much for the update info. I will most definitely take mine in and see if they can run this update and hopefully it will sound better. Once again, thanks for all the help! 👍🎶
Old 11-17-2021, 09:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Thank you so very much for the update info. I will most definitely take mine in and see if they can run this update and hopefully it will sound better. Once again, thanks for all the help! 👍🎶
No problem at all happy to help, please keep us posted.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:50 PM

Will do. It may take a while. Had medical issue from back Mar 2020 that compromised my immune system and have to limit my exposure to public but definitely will follow up when I can. 😉
Old 11-17-2021, 10:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Will do. It may take a while. Had medical issue from back Mar 2020 that compromised my immune system and have to limit my exposure to public but definitely will follow up when I can. 😉
Sorry to hear that : ( Your health is more important obviously, hope you recover soon!
jsa1983 (11-18-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 08:24 PM

Ok. Dropped off my vehicle at service to see if they can perform the Burmester update. Long story short, when I called the service dept, told them the problem I have with my Burmester and mentioned that I found out there was an update for it and have the update # if needed, she said that I just can't call and make an appt for a specific update. I have to bring it in, let them know what I'm experiencing and they will see if one is available.
Ohhhhhhh kay. Sure. I can do that. . Also mentioned that disabling the volume adjustment when stopped doesn't work and that hopefully the update, IF they have it available (hehe, oh boy), will fix that as well as I read in the forums that it did.
I'll keep you updated when they call and tell me what they were able to do.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Thanks for updating us, looking forward to hearing the good news.
Old 12-29-2021, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Ok. Dropped off my vehicle at service to see if they can perform the Burmester update. Long story short, when I called the service dept, told them the problem I have with my Burmester and mentioned that I found out there was an update for it and have the update # if needed, she said that I just can't call and make an appt for a specific update. I have to bring it in, let them know what I'm experiencing and they will see if one is available.
Ohhhhhhh kay. Sure. I can do that. . Also mentioned that disabling the volume adjustment when stopped doesn't work and that hopefully the update, IF they have it available (hehe, oh boy), will fix that as well as I read in the forums that it did.
I'll keep you updated when they call and tell me what they were able to do.
Don't be surprised if they tell you that the update has not been released for your car yet.
It seems that Mercedes releases updates in waves, and it's possible if they can't install it for you.

And the reason why they wouldn't accept your car to "install the update number XX," might be that if it's incompatible or doesn't work with your car, her that version might not be free to you.

Ask questions so you understand why they're doing things the way they do. Sometimes there's more going on behind the scenes then can be explained over the phone. Good luck
The following 2 users liked this post by mikapen:
haibieb (12-29-2021), phoenixone (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 11:34 AM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
About two weeks ago, I had the MBUX system updated on our 22 GLE 450 since I was having issues with the initial start-up with the COMAND system. This software upgrade has been on-going for awhile according to the technician. Perhaps similar update may address your radio issue. Good luck.
Imanone (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 10:43 PM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
2022 GLE 450, 2024 Volvo XC 60
Originally Posted by haibieb
About two weeks ago, I had the MBUX system updated on our 22 GLE 450 since I was having issues with the initial start-up with the COMAND system. This software upgrade has been on-going for awhile according to the technician. Perhaps similar update may address your radio issue. Good luck.
Did the updates work? Notice any improvement? When did you take delivery? I’m having intermittent slow loading of my start up screen. If you have update code numbers, I would be very appreciative. Supposed to take vehicle in next week.
TIA
Old 12-30-2021, 06:56 AM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
Yes, the update did work . The vehicle was built on or around late October 2021. Here is some "code" information taken from the RO: " ZM 82-9905 1.0 -software update for radio and comand perform 210129."
Imanone (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 07:31 AM

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
NCC-1701
I still don't quite get the MB process in regards to software updates. Last time when at the service center I spoke to an advisor in regards to the lack of continuous updates for the vehicle (only received 1 update in 2+ years of ownership).
His comment was in the line of "well it's not an iPhone". It appears that they would only update if you come in with a specific issue. I don't quite get why MB has not released at least 10 marginal / functionality updates in the past 2-3 years.
The Model Y Tesla we have gets updates with fixes and new functionality every 4-6 weeks. I feel like most legacy car makers have fallen behind significantly on the software front and need to catch up with the new reality, vehicles are now tablets on wheels.
Looking at the EQS and it's very marginally updated MBUX I feel like MB is stuck in the past on that platform. It looks old by now, and they added almost nothing new. Starting to contemplate whether I should pre-order a Lucid or Tesla SUV instead of MB EQE Suv.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:52 AM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2013 Mercedes Benz C350
Originally Posted by cupecoy
I still don't quite get the MB process in regards to software updates. Last time when at the service center I spoke to an advisor in regards to the lack of continuous updates for the vehicle (only received 1 update in 2+ years of ownership).
His comment was in the line of "well it's not an iPhone". It appears that they would only update if you come in with a specific issue. I don't quite get why MB has not released at least 10 marginal / functionality updates in the past 2-3 years.
The Model Y Tesla we have gets updates with fixes and new functionality every 4-6 weeks. I feel like most legacy car makers have fallen behind significantly on the software front and need to catch up with the new reality, vehicles are now tablets on wheels.
Looking at the EQS and it's very marginally updated MBUX I feel like MB is stuck in the past on that platform. It looks old by now, and they added almost nothing new. Starting to contemplate whether I should pre-order a Lucid or Tesla SUV instead of MB EQE Suv.
Couldn't agree more here. These legacy car makers are definitely falling behind in terms of software. They can build great cars in terms of fit and finish, luxury, etc. But the software leaves a lot to be desired. Eventually Tesla, Lucid, and other new car makers will catch up to them with regards to luxury, fit and finish, and all that stuff, and they'll have superior software. Also I think MB missed the mark with their electric cars. I test drove an EQS 450+ and while it was impressive and luxurious, the design sucks. It's not one of those things where it looks bad in pics but good in person. It looks bad no matter what. All I see is a Honda civic when I see it. Looks are subjective but I'm sure many people are not happy with the design. And it was slow as hell. For a $100k+ car with a 0-60 time of 6 seconds is laughable. My 2013 C350 is just as fast (even faster actually) for a third of the price (when it was brand new lol). If I had to choose between an EQS or Tesla Model S, it would easily be a Tesla Model S and I don't even like Tesla.
cupecoy (12-31-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 10:05 AM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
2022 GLE 450, 2024 Volvo XC 60
Originally Posted by haibieb
Yes, the update did work . The vehicle was built on or around late October 2021. Here is some "code" information taken from the RO: " ZM 82-9905 1.0 -software update for radio and comand perform 210129."
Thanks very much. I picked up my 450 on 10/13. I plan to cc your update info only and show it to SA. They typically give me a song and dance about no updates when I know there have been some. They also seem to take forever to do the updates when they do acknowledge them. Hope it works out for me as well.
haibieb (12-30-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Burmaster.... Oh how I hate you so much!