Consumer Reports - 2022 GLE Named Least Reliable Vehicle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,023 Likes on 694 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by TexAg91
A little perspective is in order. Reliability, as used by consumer reports, is a catch all phrase that has numerous subcategories (software, drive train, fit and finish, electronics, etc.). Notice the most reliable vehicle was the Lexus GX, which hasn’t been redesigned (other than cosmetic as far as I can tell) since it was introduced 2004. The electronics in it are, to be kind, dated. If all you care about is reliability, then I would agree that is the vehicle you should purchase. The 167 GLE is one of the most advanced vehicles for sale, and it is software intensive. Most of the reliability issues have been software related, and most of us early adopters have experienced a few software related glitches — thus the poor reliability score. I agree Mercedes needs to improve their software coding skills, and hopefully they’ve learned a few lessons learned with the GLE introduction. The good news is software can be updated to correct issues, and indeed Mercedes is updating the software. The reliability issues I’ve experienced were eliminated with software updates. Mechanically, my GLE 350 has been bullet proof. So yes I experienced some software induced reliability issues during the first year of ownership, but those issues have been corrected on my GLE. Moreover, I don’t regret my purchase and would buy another. I wouldn’t hessitate to take it on a cross country road trip. It is now as reliable as any vehicle I’ve owned. It is also the most advanced.
I agree but you won’t get an invite to the “Circle Jerk” mentioned above with rational comments like that. I might add that other issues are component related that seem to be worse since the supply chain issues & Covid. There are still ongoing Covid infection waves in many European countries affecting more than just chips.
The 48 volt battery problem is an outlier…Mercedes owns that one.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,157 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by TexAg91
A little perspective is in order. Reliability, as used by consumer reports, is a catch all phrase that has numerous subcategories (software, drive train, fit and finish, electronics, etc.). Notice the most reliable vehicle was the Lexus GX, which hasn’t been redesigned (other than cosmetic as far as I can tell) since it was introduced 2004. The electronics in it are, to be kind, dated. If all you care about is reliability, then I would agree that is the vehicle you should purchase. The 167 GLE is one of the most advanced vehicles for sale, and it is software intensive. Most of the reliability issues have been software related, and most of us early adopters have experienced a few software related glitches — thus the poor reliability score. I agree Mercedes needs to improve their software coding skills, and hopefully they’ve learned a few lessons learned with the GLE introduction. The good news is software can be updated to correct issues, and indeed Mercedes is updating the software. The reliability issues I’ve experienced were eliminated with software updates. Mechanically, my GLE 350 has been bullet proof. So yes I experienced some software induced reliability issues during the first year of ownership, but those issues have been corrected on my GLE. Moreover, I don’t regret my purchase and would buy another. I wouldn’t hessitate to take it on a cross country road trip. It is now as reliable as any vehicle I’ve owned. It is also the most advanced.
If you read the CR story (!) and their methods, they disclose that consumers now find that the Infotainment system is the most important thing to them, and CR weighs the responses accordingly.
So, as we have seen on this forum, there are a large number of posts about inability of Apple Carplay to work with the new generation of iPhone's. Then the incompatibility of the charging pad to charge new iPhones. Then a few "how do you find the self parking button" and similar menu posts. The 48v batteries seem to have passed as an issue, when M-B found a new battery supplier in 2020, after Tesla bought M-B's partner (and stole their IP while at it).
If CR thinks the automobile itself is unimportant, that's the kind of review they will generate.

Although some here think watching CR's YouTube videos is a diversion, it certainly gives insight into what CR's buying public thinks is important. Cup-holders, suitcase storage and ability to change stations are the new mantra for them. Watch them make fun of poor cup-holders! "If only they made cup-holders like Kia, the New Industry Standard..."

But then, CR has downgraded German cars for not having enough cup-holders for decades. And the Beat Goes On....
Now CR is no good at Toasters, which used to be what they were good at.

To me, a car is NOT an appliance.
The following users liked this post:
chrislk55 (11-23-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 10:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE 450
Originally Posted by mikapen
If you read the CR story (!) and their methods, they disclose that consumers now find that the Infotainment system is the most important thing to them, and CR weighs the responses accordingly.
So, as we have seen on this forum, there are a large number of posts about inability of Apple Carplay to work with the new generation of iPhone's. Then the incompatibility of the charging pad to charge new iPhones. Then a few "how do you find the self parking button" and similar menu posts. The 48v batteries seem to have passed as an issue, when M-B found a new battery supplier in 2020, after Tesla bought M-B's partner (and stole their IP while at it).
If CR thinks the automobile itself is unimportant, that's the kind of review they will generate.

Although some here think watching CR's YouTube videos is a diversion, it certainly gives insight into what CR's buying public thinks is important. Cup-holders, suitcase storage and ability to change stations are the new mantra for them. Watch them make fun of poor cup-holders! "If only they made cup-holders like Kia, the New Industry Standard..."

But then, CR has downgraded German cars for not having enough cup-holders for decades. And the Beat Goes On....
Now CR is no good at Toasters, which used to be what they were good at.

To me, a car is NOT an appliance.
I put in my factory order for a 2022 GLE 450 last week. The only other vehicle I considered was the new Genesis GV80, which is close in functionality and size to the GLE. I watched the CR video review of the GV80, and they raved about how it drove, its electronics, and its high standard of interior luxury. But most of the after-drive video discussion was complaining about -- wait for it -- the vehicle's drive selector. It is a dial selector, which is increasingly common, but this one has park as a button in the middle of the selector rather than being to the left beyond reverse. Really? That's something one gets used to after a week of driving.

(BTW, I went with the GLE because its electronics are more sophisticated, the drivetrain more refined, and most importantly because I could not stand the dingy, poorly-rated Hyundai dealerships one has to use to buy and service the GV80.)
Old 11-24-2021, 05:20 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
2021 GLE350
Originally Posted by Gurgeh
I put in my factory order for a 2022 GLE 450 last week. The only other vehicle I considered was the new Genesis GV80, which is close in functionality and size to the GLE. I watched the CR video review of the GV80, and they raved about how it drove, its electronics, and its high standard of interior luxury. But most of the after-drive video discussion was complaining about -- wait for it -- the vehicle's drive selector. It is a dial selector, which is increasingly common, but this one has park as a button in the middle of the selector rather than being to the left beyond reverse. Really? That's something one gets used to after a week of driving.

(BTW, I went with the GLE because its electronics are more sophisticated, the drivetrain more refined, and most importantly because I could not stand the dingy, poorly-rated Hyundai dealerships one has to use to buy and service the GV80.)
You should have went with the 350.

The 450 has engine problems because of the 48 volt battery.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE 450
Originally Posted by RockChips

If I thought the 450 was a fundamentally broken model I would not have gone with the 350. I would have gone with the 3.5 twin turbo Genesis GV80 instead.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gurgeh:
conditionone (11-24-2021), mikapen (11-24-2021), Williemv (11-25-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Gurgeh

Smarter than the average Bear.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikapen:
chassis (11-25-2021), Gurgeh (11-24-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 12:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,335 Likes on 1,993 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823

To be fair, the 4-cylinders (mainly the M274) from MB is infamous for piston cracking. Not 100% sure if the M264 in the GLE 350 is immune to it though. The E300 used M274 so did the C300, the facelift C300 started using M264 and the E350 also used M264 I believe even prior to facelift in North America. Unfortunately, MB doesn't seem to "acknowledge" the issue publicly and did not recall any vehicles that suffered from this issue. I guess we can say the same for the 48V battery, they haven't decided to recall it yet neither do we know if they ever will.
chassis (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 01:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Nevermind... stay away from MB's 4-cylinders for the foreseeable future. https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...st-my-car.html
Not to mention they stopped ICE development as far as I remembered so I don't really think they will come up with something better:
The following 2 users liked this post by W205C43PFL:
chassis (11-25-2021), places (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 05:46 AM

2021 GLE350
I also hear a rattling noise from the engine. But I thought it was normal???
Old 11-25-2021, 05:50 AM

2021 GLE350
Us guys only bought Mercedes GLE because of our wives/girlfriends.

Last edited by RockChips; 11-25-2021 at 06:18 AM.
places (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Nevermind... stay away from MB's 4-cylinders for the foreseeable future. https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...st-my-car.html
Not to mention they stopped ICE development as far as I remembered so I don't really think they will come up with something better:
There hasn’t been one report of an engine problem on a GLE on this Forum in almost 3 years of production. My car built a year ago was number 71,000+ so there are well over 100,000 units built by now. The 4 cylinder makes up a high percentage of the GLE production numbers. If there was a current issue one might think that there would be some reports by now. The Mercedes F1 race cars are running the most powerful 4 cylinder production engine ever made…a 4 pot making 416 hp, 369 Tq.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron.s:
Gurgeh (11-25-2021), Neurobit (11-28-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 09:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by Ron.s
There hasn’t been one report of an engine problem on a GLE on this Forum in almost 3 years of production. My car built a year ago was number 71,000+ so there are well over 100,000 units built by now. The 4 cylinder makes up a high percentage of the GLE production numbers. If there was a current issue one might think that there would be some reports by now. The Mercedes F1 race cars are running the most powerful 4 cylinder production engine ever made…a 4 pot making 416 hp, 369 Tq.
Good to know, guess the M264 engine issue in the other thread was just a one off. Although OP in that thread specifically said there were one M274 (which was known for the piston cracking) and a couple of M264 in for engine issues according to their service advisor. Maybe just happen to be a bad batch.
Thanks again for commenting.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good to know, guess the M264 engine issue in the other thread was just a one off. Although OP in that thread specifically said there were one M274 (which was known for the piston cracking) and a couple of M264 in for engine issues according to their service advisor. Maybe just happen to be a bad batch.
I’m amazed at how much power Mercedes and the other German brands get out of small displacement engines with what seems to be very good reliability.
A rod bearing or piston failure can happen to any car just as with any mechanical part. Mass production can lead to issues from supplier components as a machine tolerance or metallurgical process degrades over time. There may be quality controls but we humans play a part in oversight.
The cost of warranty on an engine is a huge incentive to the manufacturer to get them right. Mercedes is putting the F1 4 cylinder engine in future AMG E Performance variants…so they must be convinced of the quality since they have the endurance testing in a racing environment to evaluate.
Going forward with Electrification may result in a bigger (more frequent) problem when a battery fails as we saw with a batch of Mercedes GLE’s. It might be a tow truck in our future rather than a jump start or easy 12 volt battery replacement.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,906 Likes on 3,075 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Summary for those who don’t read the linked post - broken rod on a 2020 GLC with M264. Rubbish engineering from MBAG, to add to the very long and growing list of fails.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,582 Likes on 980 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Probably a one off, I haven’t seen many M264 issues and the cars are getting into milage areas where initial M274 issues were reported. BMW had similar timing chain issues for their N20 Inline-4’s when the F30 3-Series was introduced and they also ignored the problem until lawsuit occurred. Supposedly the B48 Inline-4 that replaces it is much better, but I had a one off experience when I received a loaner car earlier this month which left me stranded on the side of the highway with low oil pressure and an engine that wouldn't start back up. Towed it back to the dealer and was told the engine had failed, only 4,000 miles on the dash of a 2021 330i. Funny enough, the second loaner car I had gotten also had a Check Engine Light, my luck with BMW's I guess is up.

Last edited by js_cls; 11-25-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
Local dealer has seen a few one-sixty-lemons (350 4cyl.) in for cylinder head replacements due to misfires. Maybe burned valve seats? Time will tell if more will fail.
The following 2 users liked this post by E55Greasemonkey:
chassis (11-25-2021), places (11-26-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chassis
Summary for those who don’t read the linked post - broken rod on a 2020 GLC with M264. Rubbish engineering from MBAG, to add to the very long and growing list of fails.
Please read the post you referred to. I'm curious about the failure, too, having actually read the post. I'm following, in case the Poster presents the actual diagnosis.
It probably wasn't a "broken rod" as you claim, but no actual points of failure identified.
Back on the road in a week, excellent support from dealer and Mercedes.
chassis (11-25-2021), places (11-26-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 01:41 PM

2021 GLE350
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Local dealer has seen a few one-sixty-lemons (350 4cyl.) in for cylinder head replacements due to misfires. Maybe burned valve seats? Time will tell if more will fail.
So similar to every Mercedes engine from the last 20 years.
chassis (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So similar to every Mercedes engine from the last 20 years.
I guess you are saying that the same people have unsuccessfully fed the Rumor Mill for the last 20 years?

Guess I'm lucky - six Mercedes in the last 20 years, about 450,000 miles collectively, no hint of an engine problem.
In fact, I've never met an M-B owner with an engine problem, and I interface with many.
(Hope I haven't jinxed myself.)

These are machines. Every machine can have a failure.
Notice the CR report doesn't mention any drive train problems - only difficulty in using menus and understanding the Infotainment systems.
chassis (11-25-2021), Neurobit (11-28-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chassis
Do you exp[ect anyone to take you seriously??? Maybe you should go on a Forum for a car that you own since you can't even regurgitate other posts correctly.
Here's what I read...
"I picked up my repaired GLC this morning. I asked my service advisor to take me in the back where the cars are worked on so that I could meet with the mechanic who worked on my car because I wanted to find out exactly what it was that caused the malfunction. As it turns out, he had just removed an engine from a 2016 GLC and he showed me the part that became loose. It was a small bearing that was one of two bearings on the underside of the crankshaft that held a rod connected to a piston in place."
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron.s:
chassis (11-25-2021), Neurobit (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 12:10 PM

Received 201 Likes on 143 Posts
2021 GLE 53 AMG Coupe

The following 3 users liked this post by Neurobit:
chassis (11-28-2021), makris0000 (11-29-2021), places (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Could you delete that silly meme?
People can disagree, but you don't have to post a video of Michael Jackson about it.
Thanks.

Last edited by mikapen; 11-28-2021 at 12:52 PM.
chassis (11-28-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 06:53 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2021 GLE , 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
I agree with you regarding the placement of the gear shifter, funny how I too put on the wipers when driving another car. It gives the center console a cleaner look and it makes the interior of the GLE look even better.
I guess I’ve been fortunate not having to take my GLE back to the dealership for any problems. The CR report does bother me however, I feel that they are impartial and are reporting their results as they honestly see it. I must add that Lexus does so well partly because they don’t seem to change their vehicles very much. A 2021 Lexus GX has been virtually identical to the 2012 or older model. A decade is a long enough time to work out the kinks. Admittedly, the Japanese manufacturers have a superior product when it comes to reliability. When test driving an Lexus RX, prior to purchasing my GLE, it felt like an older car, quite dependable, fun factor quite low. However, it’s no fun having any car with consistent quality and mechanical issues.
Reading the CR report has given me some concerns regarding driving my GLE down to Florida from NYC. I did drive my previous GLC to Florida, that was the few MB vehicles that got a better than average reliability rating. I’ve taken my wife’s Honda CRV numerous times without any problems. Thanks for your useful comments
places (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 10:34 AM

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts
2021 GLE450
If the results of the CR readers survey mirrors my own experience, it's not that the GLE is really unreliable, it's that the technology is not fully baked. The number of electronic glitches I've experienced so early in my ownership is bordering on laughable. I'm not overly concerned the car is going to let me sit, but it feels like there will be years of software updates before the systems all operate as intended. Or more likely they'll never all operate as intended. It's the kind of thing you expect out of a first year model, but not one that's been on the market as long as the V167. It'll be interesting to see how the new S-Class and EQS perform in CR's surveys. My guess: not well at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
Lanzz (11-29-2021), places (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bryce1023
I agree with you regarding the placement of the gear shifter, funny how I too put on the wipers when driving another car. It gives the center console a cleaner look and it makes the interior of the GLE look even better.
I guess I’ve been fortunate not having to take my GLE back to the dealership for any problems. The CR report does bother me however, I feel that they are impartial and are reporting their results as they honestly see it. I must add that Lexus does so well partly because they don’t seem to change their vehicles very much. A 2021 Lexus GX has been virtually identical to the 2012 or older model. A decade is a long enough time to work out the kinks. Admittedly, the Japanese manufacturers have a superior product when it comes to reliability. When test driving an Lexus RX, prior to purchasing my GLE, it felt like an older car, quite dependable, fun factor quite low. However, it’s no fun having any car with consistent quality and mechanical issues.
Reading the CR report has given me some concerns regarding driving my GLE down to Florida from NYC. I did drive my previous GLC to Florida, that was the few MB vehicles that got a better than average reliability rating. I’ve taken my wife’s Honda CRV numerous times without any problems. Thanks for your useful comments
The biggest concern from CR is the difficulty to access menu items.
If you can find a radio station and the gearshift lever, you have beaten CR's most salient "reliability" issues.
Take your trip to Florida. Worst case according to CR - you'll have to go without listening to local stations.

I disagree about Japanese cars. IMO they market around their shortcomings VERY well. "Honda - We Make it Simple" countered the disaster of complexity and engine failures: the early CVCC. We as American Consumers take the bait.
Some still believe that they invented the assembly line, when in fact it was Samuel Colt.
Marketing.
The following 4 users liked this post by mikapen:
kvelez (12-06-2021), Ron.s (11-29-2021), Sieveboy (11-29-2021), TempeAndy (12-01-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports - 2022 GLE Named Least Reliable Vehicle