GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Quick Comparison Between Mercedes and BMW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 04:10 AM

Received 194 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Quick Comparison Between Mercedes and BMW

My brother just purchased a 2022 BMW X3, so I want to do some quick comparison between it and the GLE. I know they are not apple to apple comparison, so I am only listing some feature differences (that I found during the short time I have with the car) and not the powertrain or size.

Remote Start:
BMW has the ability to remote start using the remote, and once you are in the car, you can "transfer" over by stepping on the brake and press the start button without killing the engine. You can also do the remote start from the app but require subscription after the free period expired. For Mercedes, you can only do the remote start via the app, and you do have to kill the engine and restart once you unlock the car. Personally I like BMW approach.

Key - Profile:
For BMW, the profile is tied to the key, so depend on the key being used to unlock the car, the correct profile is selected. For the Mercedes, as far as I can tell, the profile is not linked to the key and has to be manually changed on the infotainment system.

Key - Auto lock:
I was surprise to see that BMW has the option to have the car automatically lock when you are about 10 ft from the car, and unlock when you are within 5 ft. The SA did recommend us to only turn on the auto lock and not auto unlock for safety reason. Mercedes has the auto lock based on time, but not distance. The benefit for the distance based auto lock is that it activates every time you step away from the car after the set distance. The Mercedes approach only auto locks if you previously have the car on, turn off the car, open (and close) the door and walk away. It wouldn't activate if, for example, you unlock the car to get something from the trunk, and walk away.

Infotainment - Settings:
There are a lot more settings that can be configured in the BMW system. One example is that you can set the tailgate height via the screen. You can also change the door unlock method (driver door only vs all door) via the infotainment system. I haven't check to see if you can still change those settings via physical button. For the Mercedes, those options can only be change via the button.

Infotainment - Apple CarPlay and Android Auto:
The BMW comes with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. At the moment, Mercedes only offer wired version.

Driving - Lane Keep Assist (for lane departure warning):
The BMW uses the steering to keep you in lane, vs braking in Mercedes. I am not sure which way is "better", but I find it funny that the BMW SA just told us he would turn off the active steering and only keep the lane departure warning as it scares people . I agreed with this statement since I experienced it in the Mercedes and it did scare me the first time it activate.

Driving - Brake Hold:
For the BMW, it is always on or off toggle. When you have it on, everytime when the car come to the complete stop, it activates automatically, and you have to step on the accelerator to disengage it. Mercedes uses the double "tap" brake paddle approach, meaning the system is always on standby, and when you need it, just come to a complete stop, and "step" on the brake paddle again. I personally prefers the Mercedes approach since I can choose if I want to use the hold function within the same drive without toggling it on a separate switch.

Tires:
I am surprises to find that most if not all BMW comes with run flat tires. Mercedes has optional run flat tires. This is a personal preference thing, so its up to individual to see which one they like.

Hood Latch:
BMW remove the under the hood secondary latch, and the primary latch now has a "two step" function. To unlock the hood, you have to pull the lever inside twice (so both the primary and secondary latch uses the same mechanism. Mercedes uses the two latch system, primary one release from the inside lever, secondary one under the hood. The good thing for the BMW one is that its easier when opening, since it can be done all from the interior lever. The down side is that you have to "drop" and push the hood from like 10 inches to get it lock, otherwise, it might be on the "half open" position. For Mercedes, I usually just close it manually until the secondary latch engaged, then push on the hood to close the primary one. We did have an interesting experience in the BMW dealership. Since the same locking mechanism is being used for both the primary and secondary latch, when we ask the SA how to close it (because we couldn't get it to close the "normal" way), he was showing us to drop and push it down from about 5 - 10 inches, and he manage to get one side fully lock, and other side halfway lock (kind of like a two stage latch system). I also see that almost all the car on the showroom has the hood halfway unlock, not sure if it is because people can't close it, or the dealer leave it like that on purpose.

Service:
BMW comes with 3 service for free (once per year), but it excludes wear and tear item, like wiper blade or fluid top off. You can add wear and tear item by purchasing BMW ultimate care+ (including brake). You also have the option to purchase additional service plan (up to 7 total years). Mercedes does not have free maintenance, and only have the option for pre-paid service plan up to 4 years (include wiper and fluid top off, but not brake).

Connected Service:
BMW comes with 3 (or 4, I forgot) years of connected service. My 2020 GLE also comes with 3 years, but newer model only include 1 year.

Warranty:
BMW comes with 12 years of rust protection warranty. There is no such options from Mercedes. This is useful for people living in the rust belt (although I don't expect rust issue on the Mercedes).

There are a few things that I left out that is missing in my 2020 GLE but is standard in new cars for Mercedes (and is standard in BMW). That includes the auto dimming mirror (for some reason, it is not included in my car), and the ATA (anti theft alarm) is not available in 2020 but standard in 2021+. (the one with the interior motion sensor + app notification)
Each car (and brand) has its own strength. I like some features in the Mercedes, and some from BMW. I don't regard getting my GLE, although I do wish there is a way to get some features from BMW over (key specific profile, and additional configurations from infotainment system).
The following 4 users liked this post by zengshengliu:
chassis (01-01-2022), places (12-31-2021), schkar (01-01-2022), trader1117 (01-02-2022)
Old 12-31-2021, 08:05 AM

Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Having owned BMW previously, i do prefer Mercedes instead. You do list a lot of great comparison points that I wish Mercedes implemented.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
I have moved from a GLE450 to a BMW X5 40i, I will do a comparison in a few weeks, first impressions are that GLE owners shouldn't be worried.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (01-01-2022)
Old 12-31-2021, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I took me years and several cars to get to know my MB service advisors but with only one BMW I knew the SA’s kids.
The following 2 users liked this post by BACnMercedes:
chassis (01-01-2022), Sieveboy (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 10:46 AM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by Philamg
I have moved from a GLE450 to a BMW X5 40i, I will do a comparison in a few weeks, first impressions are that GLE owners shouldn't be worried.
Can't wait to see your comparison. Since its my brother's car, my comparison is more like the "first impression". And I definitely still prefers my GLE over X5 (based on current spec)
chassis (01-01-2022)
Old 12-31-2021, 12:06 PM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
Originally Posted by Philamg
Did a fairly extensive comparison between the 2021 BMW X5 and the 2021 Mercedes GLE 350. This included test drives in most typical situations, local, highway, high speed, stop and go, etc. Did not drive either vehicle in rain or snowy conditions. Aesthetically, IMHO, I felt the GLE looked a generation ahead of the X5. It’s exterior lines were cleaner and again IMHO, looked more elegant. As far as the interior, this is probably where the most significant differences become evident. The X5 seems to have a plethora of buttons and switches, whereas the GLE is uncluttered and minimalistic , in a positive manner. This is of course enhanced with the gear shifter located on the steering column and not the center console. Ride comfort was comparable, perhaps the X5 had a slightly stiffer ride and a bit tighter steering. Fit and finish was equal, probably a grade below what you would expect from Lexus. The interior space felt larger in the GLE, most evident in the rear seating. I also felt that I was sitting higher in the GLE. The engine performance was superior in the X5, however for my driving requirements, and the majority of others, the GLE was more than adequate, it did not feel underpowered.
Taking all factors into consideration, I decided on the GLE 350. If more power is desired, the GLE 450 would probably serve you well. For some , the fact of spending a lot of money on a 4 banger just doesn’t cut it. However, it seems that most GLEs I see , maybe 80%, are 350s. Anyone who I’ve had the opportunity to ask if they like their GLE did not complain of any lack of power. Once again, if the 450 was only an insignificant amount of money more I would have purchased it, but the price difference wasn’t worth it to me. My wife who purely based her opinion on the aesthetics of the 2 vehicles said that “there is no comparison “, and I do value her opinion. After nearly 10 months of ownership I have no buyer’s remorse. The 350 checks off all my boxes and I enjoy driving it. I will be taking it down to Florida in a few weeks.
I realize that Lexus remains the benchmark that almost all manufacturers try to live up to, the GLE is not a threat to their dominance (unfortunately). I was concerned about Consumer Reports naming the GLE as the least reliable vehicle, of ANY vehicle. The 2020 model year brought in a totally new GLE, and as with most new cars there are many kinks that need to be worked out. Perhaps with the pandemic, some of these issues may be lingering a little longer. Again, I went for the GLE 350 over the X5, in reality I would have most likely been satisfied with either one. Wishing everyone a healthy, happy, and prosperous New Year.
Old 12-31-2021, 01:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLE, 2019 BMW X5, 2016 SL550, 1972 Corvette
thE GLE

I have a 2019 X5 5.0 and my wife drives a 2021 GLE 350. Despite the obvious power difference there isn’t much to choose between the two in my opinion. The X5 seems a little roomier to me and the inside materials seem a little nicer but the GLE seems to have a little better ride comfort. Infotainment systems are a personal choice but I find the X5 to be a little easier to use. My wife does not agree so I suppose it depends on what you’re used to. I am a long time MB customer but the X5 has been a good car with no issues. So far the GLE has been trouble free and I enjoy driving it. I was very concerned about getting a 4 cylinder SUV but this one was available in August and at the time 450’s were nowhere to be found. I don’t regret that choice and my wife is very happy with it so that is all that really matters. You can’t go wrong with either one

Last edited by dan1495; 01-01-2022 at 10:02 AM.
chassis (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 06:27 AM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
2021 GLE350
Compared to my X5, the GLE's leather seats are terribly stitched and put together.

Last edited by RockChips; 01-01-2022 at 08:06 AM.
chassis (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 11:58 AM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
2021 GLE450
I would argue that any comparison between BMW and Mercedes should include an evaluation of the transmissions as well. BMW's use of the ZF8 gearbox gives them a clear advantage over the 9-speed Daimler developed in-house. I personally found the X5's inline six and ZF8 combo to be both punchier and more refined than the GLE450's powertrain. Having said that, I prefer the GLE's styling and smoother ride. I also can't seem to get past an absolutely miserable BMW ownership experience from several years ago. So even though I continue to experience the abrupt and clunky downshifts in my GLE (as well as some ongoing electronic glitches), I'm nowhere near prepared to regret choosing the Benz.
Old 01-01-2022, 02:43 PM

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
I have a 2015 X5 diesel and a 2018 GLE 550e. The transmission in the BMW is almost perfect (it goes unnoticed while driving). The MB transmission has the same occasionally violent downshifts as the newer models seem to have. A new valve body in the transmission greatly reduced, but did not eliminate the hard downshifts. I almost bought a GLE 450, but the 48v issues, transmission problems, and supply chain issues have me waiting till these problems appear to be resolved. Maybe 2023?
chassis (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 10:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,948 Likes on 3,106 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
+1 on the BMW tranmission comments. The ZF 8 speed is near perfect. The MB 7G and 9G slushboxes are balky, clunky, hesitant and and indecisive.
Old 01-02-2022, 10:46 AM

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
2021 GLS450 2020 GLE350 2005 BMW 325ci Convertible
Originally Posted by zengshengliu
Infotainment - Apple CarPlay and Android Auto:
The BMW comes with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. At the moment, Mercedes only offer wired version.

Do they still charge a subscription fee toi use CarPlay?
Old 01-02-2022, 11:58 AM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by Dave Stough
Do they still charge a subscription fee toi use CarPlay?
Nope. Its free for the life of the car.
I read somewhere that they stop doing the subscription model because it was so un-popular.
Old 01-02-2022, 04:45 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
2021 GLE350
Originally Posted by BlueYonder
The MB transmission has the same occasionally violent downshifts as the newer models seem to have. A new valve body in the transmission greatly reduced, but did not eliminate the hard downshifts. I almost bought a GLE 450, but the 48v issues, transmission problems, and supply chain issues have me waiting till these problems appear to be resolved. Maybe 2023?

What happens in Sport mode?

Sport mode reduces shifting.