GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Steering Wheel Noises

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 03:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 MB GLE 350
Steering Wheel Noises

I currently am leasing a 2020 GLE 350 (18,256 mi) and have been experiencing noises from the steering wheel while making turns or turning the steering wheel from left to right during idle.

During the vehicle drop-off (25 Jan 22) to the dealer I allowed my service consultant to review videos that I had taken to capture the noises. Since the drop-off, I have not received any language of a duplication or diagnosis.

I've only been provided with a video of the multi-point inspection and a text request from my sales consultant for the videos.

Any members having any identical issues - please provide any helpful feedback. I have also attached the videos herein.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_9137.mov (7.74 MB, 629 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_9136.mov (5.02 MB, 250 views)
The following users liked this post:
Arash123 (12-25-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 03:46 PM

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
That loud clicking noise is not normal. Sounds alike a plastic electrical harness is rubbing against the steering column spline…but that’s a wild guess in my part. You need to take the car in and have a technician get in the car with you so you can re-create the sound. Let the technician sit in the driver seat and turn the wheel so they can re-create the sound and you can point it out to them. I assume it does it all the time? If yes the sound should be very easy to diagnose and fix.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 GLE350
Originally Posted by baadmon
I currently am leasing a 2020 GLE 350 (18,256 mi) and have been experiencing noises from the steering wheel while making turns or turning the steering wheel from left to right during idle.

During the vehicle drop-off (25 Jan 22) to the dealer I allowed my service consultant to review videos that I had taken to capture the noises. Since the drop-off, I have not received any language of a duplication or diagnosis.

I've only been provided with a video of the multi-point inspection and a text request from my sales consultant for the videos.

Any members having any identical issues - please provide any helpful feedback. I have also attached the videos herein.
I’ve just posted in the thread I created about the substandard build quality and the plethora of issues my brand new GLE experienced; the creaking of the wheel being one of them.

The dealer had to replace the whole thing. The hard plastic assembly rubs against the faux metal finish piece at the bottom of the steering (very audible when you press that part between your fingers). Mine used to squeak when holding the wheels with 2 hands, driving around town. They also found a loose airbag or horn connector rubbing against the column inside.

My steering also exhibited very pronounced/sharp plastic casting edges around the bottom (inside the ‘U’ at the bottom where it meets the leather). The new one had less of those, the casting looked more precise.

Talk about quality at that price point. Talk to your SA and have them replace it, it’s not normal at all.
Arash123 (12-25-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,496 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by ToneLA
I’ve just posted in the thread I created about the substandard build quality and the plethora of issues my brand new GLE experienced; the creaking of the wheel being one of them.

The dealer had to replace the whole thing. The hard plastic assembly rubs against the faux metal finish piece at the bottom of the steering (very audible when you press that part between your fingers). Mine used to squeak when holding the wheels with 2 hands, driving around town. They also found a loose airbag or horn connector rubbing against the column inside.

My steering also exhibited very pronounced/sharp plastic casting edges around the bottom (inside the ‘U’ at the bottom where it meets the leather). The new one had less of those, the casting looked more precise.

Talk about quality at that price point. Talk to your SA and have them replace it, it’s not normal at all.
Unfortunately normal for a GLE, part of the luxury best or nothing experience.
E55Greasemonkey (12-26-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 01:48 AM

2020 MB GLE 350
Well still nothing from the dealer yet. I received a call yesterday morning from the SA to express that they are not able to duplicate the noises, but will endeavor to try a few more times. He also expressed that the tech was out on Friday so nothing was done.

I'm merely taking notes - my car was not even looked at yesterday (Monday) either. I get the standard alerts from Mercedes me when the car is on, unlocked, etc. I will use Mercedes me as proof to show that they haven't been trying to diagnose my car.

I'll give them until noon today before I heighten this to the Service Mgr and the GM.
Old 12-25-2022, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gle 450 2022
I have the same problem with my Gle 450, 2022.

How the dealer fix the problem? What caused the noise?
Old 12-25-2022, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 768 Likes on 479 Posts
2023 S500
I have noise from my steering column as well. You know what infuriates me more than anything; the inconvenience of constantly having to go the dealership. The fact that this substandard, poorly built POS is making me waste time at the dealership pisses me off.

Originally Posted by ToneLA

Old 12-25-2022, 08:32 PM

Gle 450 2022
This is annoying for me as well. I had a tapping sound in the steering wheel, sounds like something moving forward and backward just like a millimetre when I press the break and the same when release the break and when past through road bumpers. after 3 months that my car was in delear ship, they got the remedy from Mb Germany and the problem was because of the holder bar that was bended by the defect assembly by a worker in the factory.
They changed the bar with updatet bolts and the problem solved. But now, 2 weeks later, I have a creaking sound on my steering wheel.
I don't know what should I do with this POS,
My car is driven only 4000 km, yes, 4K
Gle 450, 2022
Old 12-25-2022, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 768 Likes on 479 Posts
2023 S500
Just take it to the dealership and hope they can fix it.

I’ve been to the dealer three times within the first four months of ownership. I’m saving up a laundry list of items for my first major service next year. I refuse to let this poorly designed, poorly built, no-quality-control POS inconvenience me anymore. I’m lucky that I have the high-end Burmester where I can drown out the cacophony of incompetence (and MB denial) clanking around my car.

places (12-26-2022)
Old 12-25-2022, 09:30 PM

2020 MB GLE 350
The best option for me was to get rid of the GLE. I just felt incredibly unsafe driving the GLE after almost getting into a car accident as the steering wheel became inactive when I was making a left turn. All they replaced was the tie rods and some other associated parts.

I moved over to Audi / picked up a 2022 Audi S5 Sportback. As the GLE was a lease / the Audi dealer I picked up my new car from was in the same auto group as Mercedes so they took the GLE back to them. 3 days later it was sold - such a shock.
The following 2 users liked this post by baadmon:
E55Greasemonkey (12-26-2022), places (12-26-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 11:49 AM

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts
2022 GLE450
I had noise and it was the clock spring.
Old 12-26-2022, 07:50 PM

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
The best option for me was to get rid of the GLE. I just felt incredibly unsafe driving the GLE after almost getting into a car accident as the steering wheel became inactive when I was making a left turn. All they replaced was the tie rods and some other associated parts.

I moved over to Audi / picked up a 2022 Audi S5 Sportback. As the GLE was a lease / the Audi dealer I picked up my new car from was in the same auto group as Mercedes so they took the GLE back to them. 3 days later it was sold - such a shock.
What do you mean by, "the steering wheel became inactive when I was making a left turn." Did the steering wheel become disconnected, and you could no longer control the vehicle?
Old 12-26-2022, 08:37 PM

2020 MB GLE 350
Inactive as in not able to turn. The headlight blew out as well. It appeared as if it was something electrical. The issue was never duplicated. Again, another compelling point for me to get rid of the GLE. Won't be considering the brand again, I'm with Audi for the time being - definitely a different drive!

Last edited by baadmon; 12-27-2022 at 05:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by baadmon:
E55Greasemonkey (12-26-2022), places (12-26-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,496 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Inactive as in not able to turn. The headlight blew out as well. It appeared as if it was something electrical. The issue was never duplicated. Again, another compelling point for me to get rid of the GLE. Won't be considering the brand again, I'm with Audi for the time being - definitely a different drive!
Great looking car. I think you will have better luck with this one!
Old 04-13-2024, 07:50 PM

2022 GLE 350 4matic
Seeking Advice: Persistent Steering Issues with GLE - Tapping Sound, Drift, and Play

Originally Posted by Arash123
This is annoying for me as well. I had a tapping sound in the steering wheel, sounds like something moving forward and backward just like a millimetre when I press the break and the same when release the break and when past through road bumpers. after 3 months that my car was in delear ship, they got the remedy from Mb Germany and the problem was because of the holder bar that was bended by the defect assembly by a worker in the factory.
They changed the bar with updatet bolts and the problem solved. But now, 2 weeks later, I have a creaking sound on my steering wheel.
I don't know what should I do with this POS,
My car is driven only 4000 km, yes, 4K
Gle 450, 2022
Hello fellow MB enthusiasts,

I'm reaching out to the community for insights on an ongoing issue with my GLE, similar to a problem previously discussed here. Despite efforts to fix it, including a dealership visit where they addressed a steering assembly fault from the factory, I'm still facing challenges.

Here's a brief overview:

- **Tapping Sound:** A noticeable tapping sound from the steering when driving for more than 30 minutes. The sound is similar to something moving a millimeter back and forth, especially noticeable when braking or going over bumps.
- **Steering Drift:** The car tends to drift to the right, accompanied by a slight play in the steering column towards the right side.
- **Previous Attempts at Resolution:** The dealership had earlier found a defect in the steering column, attempted a realignment, and re-fastened screws. They also performed a wheel alignment and replaced the front tires due to uneven wear, which I suspect was caused by the steering issue. However, these measures didn’t fully resolve the issue, and the steering doesn't feel as it did originally.
- **Current Situation:** The dealership was unable to reproduce the issue on their recent check, leaving me without a clear path forward.

Given these persistent issues, I'm seeking advice on potential causes or solutions from those who might have experienced something similar. Also, if anyone knows the best way to escalate this to Mercedes' customer service department for more technical assistance, I’d appreciate the guidance.

Thank you in advance for your help and insights.