GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

which usb port for...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2022 | 04:51 PM

2021 GLE 450
which usb port for...

I posted a question about manual nav updates that was long winded because of this issue. yes I know that the passenger side port can be used to update maps manually. the question is why when I put a stick in that port for the dash cam does no other port allow music to be played as a media player? when I select the media option in mbux it says not device found regardless of whether I put the stick in the arm rest drivers side port or along side the stick which is being used for the dash cam. this is very frustrating since it should be easy for the system to see any stick inserted and then use it accordingly particularly if there is one port in use for the dash cam. or am I totally wrong. greatly appreciated if anyone can solve this issue or confirm that the usage of 2 ports is not possible. thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-2022 | 07:07 AM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by digital_b
I posted a question about manual nav updates that was long winded because of this issue. yes I know that the passenger side port can be used to update maps manually. the question is why when I put a stick in that port for the dash cam does no other port allow music to be played as a media player? when I select the media option in mbux it says not device found regardless of whether I put the stick in the arm rest drivers side port or along side the stick which is being used for the dash cam. this is very frustrating since it should be easy for the system to see any stick inserted and then use it accordingly particularly if there is one port in use for the dash cam. or am I totally wrong. greatly appreciated if anyone can solve this issue or confirm that the usage of 2 ports is not possible. thanks in advance.
I don't quite understand your question(s) but I can use either port for the webcam USB drive. I also have all my music on the same dash cam USB drive and everything works fine.
The following users liked this post:
DavidBN (02-05-2022)
Old 02-02-2022 | 08:45 PM

2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by jtjbt20x
I don't quite understand your question(s) but I can use either port for the webcam USB drive. I also have all my music on the same dash cam USB drive and everything works fine.
so basically with enough storage you can do both on one drive?
Old 02-02-2022 | 09:27 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
so basically with enough storage you can do both on one drive?
I only have 5GB or so of music, the other 120GB are available for the dash cam.
The following users liked this post:
digital_b (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022 | 11:35 PM

2021 GLE 450
thank you. I found a spare samung T5 drive that I will put in the arm rest and see if its seen
Old 02-05-2022 | 09:20 AM

2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Also, make sure the stick is formatted correctly…check the owner manual for those details. If it’s not in one of the compatible formats the system won’t recognize it. Hopefully that is the why.
Old 02-05-2022 | 02:51 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
thank you. I found a spare samung T5 drive that I will put in the arm rest and see if its seen
I tried an experiment today. I downloaded the latest map/voice file updates to my USB stick. I plugged that in in the armrest port and started the software update. At the same time I had my dash cam recording to that USB stick and everything worked ok. I should have tried playing music from that USB stick but alas...
Old 02-11-2022 | 08:24 PM

2021 GLE 450
your previous information as I stated caused me to put a way overkill T-5 drive in. after putting the old stick in my pc I found that mbux creates a folder for the dash cam and then reads the other root drive as media. so with the T or any stick large enough to hold the 19GB of nav for the rest of the united states that I manually updated AND your music should be fine. I would guess a 32 GB stick would be fine unless you have a huge music collection.
Old 02-11-2022 | 11:17 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
your previous information as I stated caused me to put a way overkill T-5 drive in. after putting the old stick in my pc I found that mbux creates a folder for the dash cam and then reads the other root drive as media. so with the T or any stick large enough to hold the 19GB of nav for the rest of the united states that I manually updated AND your music should be fine. I would guess a 32 GB stick would be fine unless you have a huge music collection.
If you are recording your dash cam, you want as big a drive as you can get. You’d be surprised at how fast it can fill.