GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Classic Red isn't really red...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Classic Red isn't really red...

On my 2022 GLE I just ordered. I went to the dealership today where they had a GLE53 with the "Classic Red" interior. That's a far cry from red to me. It's more of a orange-ish type red. Should be called persimmon or something else. I thought it would match the red brake calipers and it's not even close. Now I know why the configurator won't allow you to spec red seat belts with it as those are actually red like the brake calipers so there would be a huge clash. Supposedly my order is in Red status (no pun intended) and I can't make any changes. I'm going back down tomorrow to get another look with my kids. Anyone have this color and what do you think about it if you do? Thanks.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by benzbell
On my 2022 GLE I just ordered. I went to the dealership today where they had a GLE53 with the "Classic Red" interior. That's a far cry from red to me. It's more of a orange-ish type red. Should be called persimmon or something else. I thought it would match the red brake calipers and it's not even close. Now I know why the configurator won't allow you to spec red seat belts with it as those are actually red like the brake calipers so there would be a huge clash. Supposedly my order is in Red status (no pun intended) and I can't make any changes. I'm going back down tomorrow to get another look with my kids. Anyone have this color and what do you think about it if you do? Thanks.
I have it on my GLE 53…it’s orange on mine...not just my opinion but everyone else too. Those with the upgraded leather might be more red. On my Red car with red brakes it stands out as a big mistake. The pics in the Config are red so it’s a little bit like false advertising.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
I find it strange this dealership has you order your car in the salesman's office while looking across his desk at an old school 17 inch monitor. My God take the conference room that is open behind glass doors and put a 50 inch monitor on the walls. I also don't understand why they don't have some color samples and upholstery swatches. It's not like they have a lot of colors to choose from anyways. This is MB not Hyundai. Ridiculous. If I go back tomorrow and don't like it and they can't change it. I'll cancel the order because that's how I am.
The following users liked this post:
GregW / Oregon (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ron.s
I have it on my GLE 53…it’s orange on mine...not just my opinion but everyone else too. Those with the upgraded leather might be more red. On my Red car with red brakes it stands out as a big mistake. The pics in the Config are red so it’s a little bit like false advertising.
Did you order yours and/or see that seat color on the lot first or were you just surprised when it came in? Does it bother you or did you just learn to live with it? Thanks.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I find it strange this dealership has you order your car in the salesman's office while looking across his desk at an old school 17 inch monitor. My God take the conference room that is open behind glass doors and put a 50 inch monitor on the walls. I also don't understand why they don't have some color samples and upholstery swatches. It's not like they have a lot of colors to choose from anyways. This is MB not Hyundai. Ridiculous. If I go back tomorrow and don't like it and they can't change it. I'll cancel the order because that's how I am.
Did you order yours and/or see that seat color on the lot first or were you just surprised when it came in? Does it bother you or did you just learn to live with it? Thanks.
Custom order…big surprise. I pushed it with MB and they offered a $1000 Visa card that I refused. My Dealer offered a deal to reorder and get me out of mine at a break even. I had a new order moving to a GLE 63S when options started becoming unavailable and then they stopped building the 63 so I switched to a Porsche GTS order with the same Dealer. (Then had them change from a 2022 to a 2023 so I’m still waiting.) Porsche has color samples and a more accurate online Configurator with a build code. I put my order together at home, copied the build code, Dealer SA pulls up build, and then a final review with the SA. Much better process…then you can post your Build Code on the Porsche Forum to get input/suggestions from members.
Each car has +/- between the GLE and Cayenne but with Porsche right now you will get what you order. If something is on constraint you get the option to wait for availability. Mercedes might adjust your build at the last minute…

Last edited by Ron.s; 04-27-2022 at 05:07 AM.
benzbell (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you for sharing that. Very interesting. Smart what you did at home with your build code. I ordered a 2022 GLE 63S coupe which became available again in Feb. 2022. MB still doesn't have a 2022 online brochure or a DOG for the car or have the GLE 63 up on their configurator. So I had to do it at the dealer which was kind of a joke. Good thing I knew and had researched the options from the 2021. I ordered every option except running boards, track pace app and ceramic brakes. Of course it shows it took everything but I'll have to wait and see. Build date is supposed to be third week of June with projected delivery as early as August and as late as October or even November. I had to pay a 12K ADM which I negotiated down from 15K. I felt that was decent as this was their last of only two V8 allocations. It's still a lot of car for the money to me.

Reason I went with red was because of red calipers and the outside color being Cirrus silver. I felt instead of going the usual black/gray for the interior that red would be a nice pop of color for a change. What options started becoming unavailable for you? What I've mainly heard is the dashcam for the augmented video. Thanks again and I really appreciate your helpful insight

Last edited by benzbell; 04-27-2022 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

At first it was the entire Driver Assistance Package that was NA. It was back available after a short time…Mercedes probably decided that was a bad choice of an option to eliminate. Then soon after I placed my order they did the stop sale so I cancelled and started looking around at other SUV’s. As soon as the 63 came back available I put in a new order but a few weeks later my Dealer got a shipment of sold Porsche Cayennes. After looking them over I got interested in them. So I finally decided to try the Porsche rather than order another car much like the one I was driving now. Things are starting to settle down now so you should get your build as ordered since it’s the top AMG model. The off color seats would go better with your build than they did with my red car. I messed up and ordered the base Nappa leather seats originally…the Exclusive Nappa seats are more of a red color. Funny but Porsche/Audi don’t have true red either. I’ve seen red on cheaper brands so it’s a head scratcher.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah - I can't see almost anyone going forward without the Driver Assistance Package. So did you get a Cayenne or a Macan? I might have to take a look as well just in case. What are some of the things you like about it?
Old 04-27-2022, 10:42 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 E350, 2017 Subaru WRX
When I was considering the Red, I looked at this video
and assumed it was going to be a "bright" red and a bit gaudy to my taste. Mercedes USA calls it "Classic Red". Note that Porsche and the others all use a darker shade of red which is more sportier. Even previous gen Mercedes used to offered the sportier darker red (Bengal red etc). I guess I should see this in person, If I were to consider this again.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:48 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 E350, 2017 Subaru WRX
Yeah - I can't see almost anyone going forward without the Driver Assistance Package. So did you get a Cayenne or a Macan? I might have to take a look as well just in case. What are some of the things you like about it?
I just gave up on a custom ordered Cayenne (after 5 months of waiting and tracking) because we anticipate the need for an occasional 3rd row of seats. The thing I liked about the Cayenne is simply the way it drives and a slightly better reliability record for Porsches (albeit expensive to maintain). The driving dynamics are unparalleled to any SUV. Especially the coupe ones are sport sedans in SUV disguise. I don't know what would be needed to unsettle them on road. Of course the downside is cost. The Cayenne S is similar to GLE53 in performance and costs nearly 30grand more to be specced comparably.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I passed on a 2022 Urus with less than a thousand miles. Had a 268k sticker and they were asking 369k. No way I'm paying that. I ordered a 2022 AMG GLE 63S instead for half the cost of the 369k Urus. No way the Urus is twice the car of the 63. Too much Audi switchgear and I don't care for the only way to control the screen is via touch only. There's a lot I like about the Urus and a lot I don't like. Urus is 3.6 seconds in 0-60 and 63 is 3.7 so hardly any difference in performance.
Old 04-27-2022, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Double post

Last edited by Ron.s; 04-27-2022 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I made a long list at one time but some things are subjective. First, I decided to get a V8 assuming that they won’t be around very long. Other than 0-60 my GLE 53 is a perfect car with the upgraded brakes and active sway bars...optioned similar to a 63. The 53 has a 3rd form of boost from an electric compressor that’s not present on the 63. The weakness of most boosted cars is the lag you get coasting when the turbo spools down and you hit the accelerator. The EQ Boost helps alleviate that some on the GLE series.

I prefer the looks and utility of the GLE over the Porsche Cayenne. The GLE has more room in the back seat, a larger/wider cargo area. I prefer the GLE lower seat side bolsters for day to day use. The GLE with the EQBoost has a more linear throttle for a more friendly drive around town-minor point to me. You get more car for the money with a GLE 63.
The GLE handles corners very well but the Cayenne is even better with a similar active sway bar system plus available rear wheel steer and a special rear differential. Porsche also uses the rear brakes for Torque Vectoring…not sure about Mercedes. I can’t comment on the driver electronic systems but Porsche does have wireless phone CP/AA. I ordered the GTS that is rated at 4.5 0-60, probably understated and can be tuned to the Turbo around 600 hp. Porsche probably has a better build quality but also have an option not available at times like the Matrix headlights recently. Porsche has much more ability for customization at a very nice 😊 price. As an example you can select deviated seats and stitching that include dozens of color combinations. One is black leather with a red seat center and red stitching like I expected on the GLE. As I recall this option is around $6,000. The GTS comes with an attractive Leather/Race Tex seat with red stitching so that’s what I ordered. We have similar Alcantera seat centers on my wife’s Audi…we like them a lot. The GTS also has a Sport Exhaust with a nice
rumble. The Cayenne has the largest brakes available on any production car…6 piston front, 4 piston rears.
My Cayenne build is a little more than my GLE 63 spec but some of that is more Carbon Fiber trim and the rear wheel steer & differential option. There are three more “power trains” above the GTS V8 at +$20k to +$60k or so. The new hybrid with the big V8 and 2 electric motors might be a fun car at $200k or so.
Old 04-27-2022, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The 63 does have EQ Boost. I agree the GLE does have better looks and utility as well. Another plus for me is the MB dealer is 3.1 miles from my house. The Urus has 440 mm ten piston calipers up front and so do the Bentley Speed models, not sure if the Porsche does. It's the whole VW/Porsche/Lambo thing of VAG.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The 63 does have EQ Boost. I agree the GLE does have better looks and utility as well. Another plus for me is the MB dealer is 3.1 miles from my house. The Urus has 440 mm ten piston calipers up front and so do the Bentley Speed models, not sure if the Porsche does. It's the whole VW/Porsche/Lambo thing of VAG.
Here’s what I found on the Porsche Forum:

440mm Front / 410mm Rear — Cayenne
440mm Front / 370mm Rear — Bentayga, Continental GT, Urus
Old 04-27-2022, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ron.s
I messed up and ordered the base Nappa leather seats originally…the Exclusive Nappa seats are more of a red color. Funny but Porsche/Audi don’t have true red either. I’ve seen red on cheaper brands so it’s a head scratcher.
I went and looked at the car again and yeah it's orange. Kids said so also. I did find out that it is Nappa and not the exclusive Nappa leather which gives me some hope based on your statement. Were you told or you saw for yourself?
Old 04-27-2022, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I went and looked at the car again and yeah it's orange. Kids said so also. I did find out that it is Nappa and not the exclusive Nappa leather which gives me some hope based on your statement. Were you told or you saw for yourself?
A member posted pictures of his Exclusive Nappa with red. Lighting can deceive but his definitely appeared to be a deeper color with a more red look.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm starting to think with mine being Exclusive Nappa classic red and being the car is Cirrus Silver it will be okay. If not, I'll use my Rambo knife to cut the leather out of the seats and make a Parka out of them and get them recovered in something else. Just kidding of course.
jsa1983 (04-28-2022)