GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 GLE450 e-abc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK350 and 2020 GLE450 e-abc
2020 GLE450 e-abc

The e-abc option has a setting which allows the car to be lowered for easy entry. However there must be a screw-up on MB part.
The option can be only activated once at the time and only while the engine is still running before shut down.
So you have to think ahead for next time entry if you want this option. It just doesn't make any sense.
Is there a soft ware update available or does anybody know who would " hack" the system.
Thank you much
Old 05-03-2022, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
The logic escapes me, too. I don't know why you wouldn't want "lowering on EXIT," too.

Drive to your parking position in "Sport." Lowering already accomplished.

Just don't engage the "Lowering" feature when in Park, in Sport, because it'll "raise" again. Or some such unpredictable action.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Lowering upon exit

Originally Posted by mikapen
Drive to your parking position in "Sport." Lowering already accomplished.
Well, "lower to exit" equates to Sport + which is slightly lower than Sport. It is stupid you can't have it automatically activate, though it might lead to excessive wear on the Airmatic system.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK350 and 2020 GLE450 e-abc
Again, you are correct. However I have to remember to put it in Sport mode before I exit the car.
I wonder what the thinking behind was to have it this way. In either case I have to remember
what I want next time use the car. Go figure.

Change of subject: The car has cameras everywhere but no dash cam. Is there a mod for this??
Old 05-04-2022, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 351 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Originally Posted by Aeronca7bcm
Again, you are correct. However I have to remember to put it in Sport mode before I exit the car.
I wonder what the thinking behind was to have it this way. In either case I have to remember
what I want next time use the car. Go figure.

Change of subject: The car has cameras everywhere but no dash cam. Is there a mod for this??
dashcam uses the AR Nav cam, not the 360 parking cameras (I think they should also use at least the side and rear caneras - they’re there) but I’m not 100% sure if you can code in the dashcam or not if you have AR Nav.
Old 05-04-2022, 12:23 PM

Received 161 Likes on 107 Posts
2019 C300 Cabriolet, 2022 AMG GLE 53
Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
dashcam uses the AR Nav cam, not the 360 parking cameras (I think they should also use at least the side and rear caneras - they’re there) but I’m not 100% sure if you can code in the dashcam or not if you have AR Nav.
I agree - the cameras in use on the OEM system are lacking. IIRC, there are (at least to me) a few drawbacks with the current MB OEM dashcam option on cars like my 2022 GLE: it is only 720p resolution, has no rear facing view, and has to be manually started each time the engine is started up to begin recording.

Given this, my advice would be to install a 3rd party dashcam system of your choosing (Blackvue, Viofo, Thinkware, etc.). There are a lot of models out there to research, and many threads on these forums to explore on this topic.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Well, "lower to exit" equates to Sport + which is slightly lower than Sport. It is stupid you can't have it automatically activate, though it might lead to excessive wear on the Airmatic system.

Thanks for that correction, Greg.
It's been a year and a half since I had my E-ABC car, and I forgot some of its functions.
On my now current GLE 53, Sport+ doesn't lower the suspension any further than Sport. It's already lowered in comfort mode, at least with ARC.
So on a 53, parking with Sport achieves the same as E-ABC in Sport+,
E-ABC and the standard Air suspensions behave the same way, regarding "lower on entry."

I remember being disappointed with my E-ABC, because the read-ahead road cameras were deactivated in every function except for comfort.

Last edited by mikapen; 05-04-2022 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2022, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-ABC functions

I remember being disappointed with my E-ABC, because the read-ahead road cameras were deactivated in every function except to comfort.
Actually, Road Surface Scan is active in Curve (CV) mode as well. Thanks for explaining the GLE 53 and standard Airmatic difference
Old 09-13-2022, 05:58 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
'20 GLE 450, Silverado 3500
Just don't engage the "Lowering" feature when in Park, in Sport, because it'll "raise" again. Or some such unpredictable action.
Let me wake the sleeping dog here. It seems that no matter when I engage the "Lowering" (driving below 19 mph, park), when I return to the car, it has raised. I thought it was supposed to stay lowered until the car reached ~19/20 mph. Is there a secret/magic code to keep it down? Anyone had it fixed with a software update?

Old 09-13-2022, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Brer Rabbit
Let me wake the sleeping dog here. It seems that no matter when I engage the "Lowering" (driving below 19 mph, park), when I return to the car, it has raised. I thought it was supposed to stay lowered until the car reached ~19/20 mph. Is there a secret/magic code to keep it down? Anyone had it fixed with a software update?
Mine does not do that. Use the “lower to exit” function and leave the car running until it is fully lowered.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:06 PM

I push that button about half a block before our house, pull into the driveway, let the wife out of the car (staying in Drive and putting it in Park) and then pull into the garage so I am pretty sure it is down. The "Lowering" notice is gone. I drive about 12 mph so that should not trigger the rise. Could the door opening cause the car to rise again? There is nothing on the screen saying it is rising.

I will watch closely to make sure it is down when I stop in the driveway but I am fairly certain it is already down.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Brer Rabbit
I push that button about half a block before our house, pull into the driveway, let the wife out of the car (staying in Drive and putting it in Park) and then pull into the garage so I am pretty sure it is down. The "Lowering" notice is gone. I drive about 12 mph so that should not trigger the rise. Could the door opening cause the car to rise again? There is nothing on the screen saying it is rising.

I will watch closely to make sure it is down when I stop in the driveway but I am fairly certain it is already down.
You can set the right HUD to show the suspension height setting. Double check the height with that.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:57 PM

Received 194 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
For mine, there is definitely seems to be a pattern to keep the car lower.
If I turn off the car before it is completely lowered, open the door while lowering (it will still resume once door is closed), open/close the door without starting the car after it is parked and lowered, or get the key too close to the car while parked (which will trigger some "electronic noise" which tells me that the car is "awake"), the car seems to raise by itself after some time.
If I lower the car while driving into the driveway (in Drive, moving forward slowly), then back into garage and park, and don't do anything else, the car does remain lowered until next time.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:20 PM

I will set the HUD up and watch the level. The car will lower fine for the exit, just when we return to the car, even if we just quickly run into the store, it has risen. It is down for the exit but it is up for the entry.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:44 AM

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by jaxslk
I agree - the cameras in use on the OEM system are lacking. IIRC, there are (at least to me) a few drawbacks with the current MB OEM dashcam option on cars like my 2022 GLE: it is only 720p resolution, has no rear facing view, and has to be manually started each time the engine is started up to begin recording.

Given this, my advice would be to install a 3rd party dashcam system of your choosing (Blackvue, Viofo, Thinkware, etc.). There are a lot of models out there to research, and many threads on these forums to explore on this topic.
I was annoyed that the dash cam had to be manually started each time on MY 2022. About 3 months ago, it starting coming on automatically. Must have received an update somewhere along the line.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Opening the door stops mine but then when the door is closed it will continue to lower. I have put the ride height in my HUD as well and just make sure the SUV is done/down before anyone opens the door. BMW supposedly had a GPS feature that would turn on the cameras when you got near a certain location (although I never got it to work) and it would be really nice if MB would set it to where the car would lower when it got near your favorite stops at least.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:53 PM

Received 194 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Opening the door stops mine but then when the door is closed it will continue to lower. I have put the ride height in my HUD as well and just make sure the SUV is done/down before anyone opens the door. BMW supposedly had a GPS feature that would turn on the cameras when you got near a certain location (although I never got it to work) and it would be really nice if MB would set it to where the car would lower when it got near your favorite stops at least.
Mine does that too, but after the car is off for a while, most of the time, the car will start raising by itself. It also seems to "raise" if I lower the car after it is parked.
For me, the only way to have the car consistently stay "lower" is by start lowing the car when near destination (knowing I won't go above 19 MPH), and ensure that the car is completely lowered before the car come to a complete stop and park. Then, the car will always stay lowered when re-entering.
For all other sequences, the car will sometimes raise by itself after parked for a while.
I do like the ability to have a "favorite" spot where car will automatically lowered when getting near it. But that could also be issue where the car might lower by itself when you want it raised (normal height), maybe when you are working under the car or something.