GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

New part shortage ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
20’ Mercedes GLE450 AWD, 22’ GLE 450
New part shortage ?

Just wondering…re: 22” GLE 450 order…..auto built..and on way… confirming data sheet now shows missing roof spoiler…ordered from the start….
Can this be another missing part availability??…or just a slip up along the production way? I thought the spoilers were sometimes or often a port or dealer installed item ? Does anyone have anything to comment about recent orders received with such part?.. Are roof spoilers currently available for the 450?
thanks in advance…
Old 05-06-2022, 01:33 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
It is highly possible that there is a part shortage for the roof spoiler and they took it off the build.

I know it's different from the GLE, but my parents have an S580 order and they took out the 4.5 degree rear axle steering because it's "not available" and Napa leather is not available anymore. It seems like these part shortages are just getting worse.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by smvail50
Just wondering…re: 22” GLE 450 order…..auto built..and on way… confirming data sheet now shows missing roof spoiler…ordered from the start….
Can this be another missing part availability??…or just a slip up along the production way? I thought the spoilers were sometimes or often a port or dealer installed item ? Does anyone have anything to comment about recent orders received with such part?.. Are roof spoilers currently available for the 450?
thanks in advance…
Yep, supply chain for sure. The roof spoiler is technically an accessory as opposed to a part and you can order it when it becomes available, but you'll have to paint it prior to installing.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
The Spoiler can be replaced later…BMW is now dropping Car Play & Android Auto from cars deeming it a non essential item.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 E350, 2017 Subaru WRX
Originally Posted by Ron.s
BMW is now dropping Car Play & Android Auto from cars deeming it a non essential item.
That would have been a deal breaker for me. But, it is not as bad as it sounds. "According to the automaker, an over-the-air update will add the missing features later"
Old 05-07-2022, 07:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
20’ Mercedes GLE450 AWD, 22’ GLE 450
Interesting….as I’ve got an X5 on order as well as the 450….the de-contenting of these autos is getting trying!….but… “champagne problems”..I know!,
Old 05-07-2022, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by brad_saggy
That would have been a deal breaker for me. But, it is not as bad as it sounds. "According to the automaker, an over-the-air update will add the missing features later"
If it’s as simple as an “over the air” update, why wouldn’t they go ahead and add it? I didn’t think software was the missing link, actual parts were.
The following users liked this post:
Lanzz (05-08-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
If it’s as simple as an “over the air” update, why wouldn’t they go ahead and add it? I didn’t think software was the missing link, actual parts were.
The article I read was about the chip shortage. If it saves chips then how do they add them OTA?

Edit-Heres an explanation-
Technology is great… when it works. That’s not the case with some of the cars that BMW is shipping to customers as they lack Android Auto and Apple CarPlayfunctionality. The necessary hardware is built into the cars, but the software is not ready for the time being. The issue stems from the semiconductor shortage, which has prompted the German luxury brand to switch chip suppliers

Last edited by Ron.s; 05-07-2022 at 09:16 AM.
GregW / Oregon (05-07-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The article I read was about the chip shortage. If it saves chips then how do they add them OTA?

Edit-Heres an explanation-
Technology is great… when it works. That’s not the case with some of the cars that BMW is shipping to customers as they lack Android Auto and Apple CarPlayfunctionality. The necessary hardware is built into the cars, but the software is not ready for the time being. The issue stems from the semiconductor shortage, which has prompted the German luxury brand to switch chip suppliers
I think we are agreeing here. OTA is just software updates and therefore nothing should be left off that will be added later. If it’s left off because of the lack of “chips,” then it cannot be OTA added later and I understand it.

I will agree with this though, I wished more automakers would just stop using CarPlay and android auto so much and make their own systems better. Getting CarPlay to connect every time all the time, not have a delay, not be quirky at times, and and stay reliable would be great. But then the automakers systems are so behind that you have to rely on the others. I’ve said this before and I haven’t even used theirs in years, but Toyota’s Entune system was awesome.
Old 05-07-2022, 02:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,948 Likes on 3,106 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
BMW iDrive is awesome. VW RNS850 was awesome. MB flopped on COMAND. MBUX seems to have mixed reviews.

Re: parts shortage. There is no light at the end of the tunnel on this industry-wide. Yet.

Tesla seems uniquely able to build more cars than prior periods compared with other carmakers. The parts shortage will separate the men from the boys in terms of execution from carmakers. I expect a pre-pubescent performance from MB in this case.

p.s. I do not own a Tesla or have plans to own one. Just reading production reports.

Last edited by chassis; 05-07-2022 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chassis
p.s. I do not own a Tesla or have plans to own one. Just reading production reports.
Take out the word Tesla and add electric and I totally agree……………Yet. But I know it’s coming.
chassis (05-07-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Tesla seems uniquely able to build more cars than prior periods compared with other carmakers. The parts shortage will separate the men from the boys in terms of execution from carmakers.......
Tesla is more lucky than good in this regard.

A couple decades ago, auto manufacturers around the globe realized that the just-in-time manufacturing schedules they implemented in the seventies, no longer worked. Interruptions anywhere along the supply chain could stop manufacturing cold. What was considered a benefit of the JIT- low inventory requirements - was becoming a liability.
There was a well-known movement among the manufacturers to re-Shore manufacturing. Tax laws were changed, allowing US manufacturers to repatriate money and move their supply chains to the vertical mode, becoming more self-independent.

So when Tesla started manufacturing cars, the vertical integration was already well known, and much easier to implement for a new facility. They were actually following the lead of other US manufacturers.

And yes, it does give them an advantage in parts availability, and their ability to design Tesla-specific electronics, instead of being tethered to old business relationships.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikapen:
brad_saggy (05-07-2022), chassis (05-07-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
I think we are agreeing here. OTA is just software updates and therefore nothing should be left off that will be added later. If it’s left off because of the lack of “chips,” then it cannot be OTA added later and I understand it.

I will agree with this though, I wished more automakers would just stop using CarPlay and android auto so much and make their own systems better. Getting CarPlay to connect every time all the time, not have a delay, not be quirky at times, and and stay reliable would be great. But then the automakers systems are so behind that you have to rely on the others. I’ve said this before and I haven’t even used theirs in years, but Toyota’s Entune system was awesome.
Yes, it answered the question of how the chip shortage impacted their decision. I read months ago that Mercedes was going to transition to modern chips. That might be what BMW is doing also….

Personally I don’t see how any Manufacturer can compete with Google, maybe Apple, with robust onboard navigation. The alliance between BMW, Mercedes & VAG spreads the cost and makes for a reasonable attempt. I’ve come to accept that the onboard Nav is handy, OKAY for routine Nav…like the integration and looks. When it comes to an impromptu voice command like “Navigate to XYZ” the results are usually unsatisfactory. With Google I can get meaningful alternatives to route based stops like for fuel or a meal. i.e., Once I select a fuel stop it provides Nav to that location and then resumes Nav to the original location. Location with Mercedes Nav doesn’t seem to matter, I’ve tried in several Western States and large cities or rural areas. In the last year Google worked perfectly except for once the street view was across the street from my destination. I received a review request, selected unsatisfactory and noted the error. A “living” system like that with a huge user base will be difficult if not impossible to keep up with. Lack of Cell Service seem to limit each system to basic Nav, no winner there. Will Level 4/5 SD be any different…time will tell.

Last edited by Ron.s; 05-07-2022 at 08:51 PM.
chassis (05-07-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Yes, it answered the question of how the chip shortage impacted their decision. I read months ago that Mercedes was going to transition to modern chips. That might be what BMW is doing also….

Personally I don’t see how any Manufacturer can compete with Google, maybe Apple, with robust onboard navigation. The alliance between BMW, Mercedes & VAG spreads the cost and makes for a reasonable attempt. I’ve come to accept that the onboard Nav is handy, OKAY for routine Nav…like the integration and looks. When it comes to an impromptu voice command like “Navigate to XYZ” the results are usually unsatisfactory. With Google I can get meaningful alternatives to route based stops like for fuel or a meal. i.e., Once I select a fuel stop it provides Nav to that location and then resumes Nav to the original location. Location with Mercedes Nav doesn’t seem to matter, I’ve tried in several Western States and large cities or rural areas. In the last year Google worked perfectly except for once the street view was across the street from my destination. I received a review request, selected unsatisfactory and noted the error. A “living” system like that with a huge user base will be difficult if not impossible to keep up with. Lack of Cell Service seem to limit each system to basic Nav, no winner there. Will Level 4/5 SD be any different…time will tell.
Ron, I had trouble with my MBUX NAV, until (on the first day) my SA coached us on the different vernacular that MBUX uses, which is different from Command. In your example, the words "Navigate to..." have been replaced with "Take me to....," since they moved to a conversational mode, with adaptive AI, to streamline new users' experience.

Since I abandoned the Command language, the M-B NAV works FAR BETTER than Google or Waze. M-B presents several (usually 4+) alternative routes, and the routes are continually updated (every minute or less) to show the quickest (if that's what I have chosen in the setup menu as my priority) route, based on traffic along all the routes.

In your second example, "I can get meaningful alternatives to route based stops like fuel or a meal," M-B's HERE alliance is much more intuitive, and you can ask "Show me gas stops along the way" and it will. Then you select your stop, and MBUX asks "should I add this as a New Destination, or an Intermediate destination?" It also displays the question, so you can respond to a visual or auditory cue. You don't have to clunk around with Google trying to stop, start, stop, start, and generally have to "fool" Google into getting you there.

And now, you can't get rid of the "Greenest" route as the first route in Google. In our case, the "Green" Route takes us through 50 miles of construction detours, while M-B's HERE knows that route is under construction and shows it as such. And I don't need to be warned that there are 5 railroad crossings in the next 500 miles, and several times as I approach each one. In College they used to call that "In Loco Parentis." Google, you are not my Daddy. Plus, your app is getting worse every month.

M-B also uses "What3Words" as it's navigation protocol, which is much more advanced and precise than Google Maps, but Google appears to be adapting now. Good for them.

Regarding Self Driving Cars, M-B has had a fleet of self-drivers on actual Streets long before any of the competitors, and they are the first (and only) manufacturer to receive full autonomous driving approval. on public roads in some venues. They don't rely on other Google phones; Here uses Car-to-X, which gives an increasingly wider database.

Having a Command car and an MBUX car requires me to change my language when I switch cars, but it's worth adapting to. I find the M-B NAV to be very accurate, even finding the entrance to stores in big Malls, and navigating me through one-way aisles in parking lots. I call it amazing.

Last edited by mikapen; 05-08-2022 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-08-2022, 03:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE450
Originally Posted by smvail50
Can this be another missing part availability??…or just a slip up along the production way?
thanks in advance…
My ‘22 GLE450 was ordered with a roof spoiler but ultimately delivered without it. Dealer has ordered spoiler and will paint / install once available. They said ~2 weeks, which was about 2 weeks ago. I’m not holding my breath but will be excited once it’s finally installed.
Old 05-08-2022, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mikapen
Ron, I had trouble with my MBUX NAV, until (on the first day) my SA coached us on the different vernacular that MBUX uses, which is different from Command. In your example, the words "Navigate to..." have been replaced with "Take me to....," since they moved to a conversational mode, with adaptive AI, to streamline new users' experience.

Since I abandoned the Command language, the M-B NAV works FAR BETTER than Google or Waze. M-B presents several (usually 4+) alternative routes, and the routes are continually updated (every minute or less) to show the quickest (if that's what I have chosen in the setup menu as my priority) route, based on traffic along all the routes.

In your second example, "I can get meaningful alternatives to route based stops like fuel or a meal," M-B's HERE alliance is much more intuitive, and you can ask "Show me gas stops along the way" and it will. Then you select your stop, and MBUX asks "should I add this as a New Destination, or an Intermediate destination?" It also displays the question, so you can respond to a visual or auditory cue. You don't have to clunk around with Google trying to stop, start, stop, start, and generally have to "fool" Google into getting you there.

And now, you can't get rid of the "Greenest" route as the first route in Google. In our case, the "Green" Route takes us through 50 miles of construction detours, while M-B's HERE knows that route is under construction and shows it as such. And I don't need to be warned that there are 5 railroad crossings in the next 500 miles, and several times as I approach each one. In College they used to call that "In Loco Parentis." Google, you are not my Daddy. Plus, your app is getting worse every month.

M-B also uses "What3Words" as it's navigation protocol, which is much more advanced and precise than Google Maps, but Google appears to be adapting now. Good for them.

Regarding Self Driving Cars, M-B has had a fleet of self-drivers on actual Streets long before any of the competitors, and they are the first (and only) manufacturer to receive full autonomous driving approval. on public roads in some venues. They don't rely on other Google phones; Here uses Car-to-X, which gives an increasingly wider database.

Having a Command car and an MBUX car requires me to change my language when I switch cars, but it's worth adapting to. I find the M-B NAV to be very accurate, even finding the entrance to stores in big Malls, and navigating me through one-way aisles in parking lots. I call it amazing.
We clearly have different opinions/results. Why train yourself to use specific command language…that’s yesterdays Tech, IMO. I use “Navigate” because I’m used to it but Mercedes usually recognizes that command…if not I use “take me to”. My unsatisfactory experience isn’t so much with the initial commands but the results. The problem is similar with “text XYZ”. My contact list isn’t huge but more often than not Mercedes can’t determine that I want to text & the next time knows to text but gives me several contacts that don’t don’t make sense. The next time with the exact same command I get the correct result. With Google I don’t need to train myself to use “key words”…the AI almost always figures out the command. Texting with Google it goes straight to text with the correct contact and asks “what would you like to say”.
I get it with the “show me gas stops…” but then you need to take your eyes off the road to review them. I use something like “Navigate to the nearest Loves Truck stop” and most of the time tap the first selection. I normally travel with my wife so she does research on her phone for a more complicated search. These events can normally occur in heavy traffic where it’s not safe to take your eyes off the road.
I haven’t used Mercedes Nav (complicated Nav) for months and quit doing comparisons almost a year ago so don’t profess to have all the answers.
I haven’t seen any pundits give Mercedes the nod in Self Driving leadership. Google Waymo has been operating full SD in Phoenix for years and is also in California now. Super Cruise & Waymo seem to lead in the US. Mercedes operating on the Autobahn vs Waymo in busy Phoenix traffic don’t seem comparable to me but I haven’t really researched either. Here are 3 links from a quick search-all 3 list Waymo as 1st…none mention Mercedes.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/...ctive%20owners.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/04...possibilities/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cindygo...h=3d0722e7137f

Edit: Here’s were Mercedes seems to be. They are moving to Level 3 vs Waymo is operating at Level 5 in test environments.
https://europe.autonews.com/automake...iving-highways

Mike…I have a Google Pixel 5 phone so my experience with Android Auto might not be the norm. The updates over the past year have been significant.

Last edited by Ron.s; 05-08-2022 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2022, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ron, I also have a pixel 5.
But yes, our experiences are completely different.
In general, I find that the MBUX AI is a lot more intuitive, with a whole lot less keywords, than Google.

I agree that having multiple choices for gas stops can take your eyes off the road, which I don't like to do, and why I don't like AR.
But saying something like "I want to go to the nearest Shell station," will evoke the car's same response "Would you like it to be set as an intermediate destination or new destination," to which you can say "Intermediate."

Every human interface has its quirks. I am pretty good with Google search, and I consider myself really good with the MBUX, but I just don't get along well with Google maps. Must be my Colorado accent.

Regarding Mercedes autonomous driving, I've kind of paid attention to it for quite a while, but not very closely.
Here's an article from Motor Trend talking about their development since 2015. They seem to be pandering to Mercedes for the interview, but I think that's what all magazines do for an Exclusive.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/merc...-drive-review/

Mercedes name for the system, is "Drive Pilot." Sounds kind of Flash Gordon-ey.
At any rate, I think there will be some ethical questions posed, before fully autonomous can work.

edit: I see your edit.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

@Ron.s I am embarrassed that I forgot the situation with my 2020 GLE450. I had a lot of trouble getting the car to understand me. At least as bad as your experience.

What it turned out to be, was a bad microphone over the driver's position. I noticed that when I spoke, the yellowish corner that emanated from the top left of the center screen, wasn't lighting up. That's the indicator that shows that it recognizes a voice or sound.

The yellow indicator showed that the passenger mike was the only thing hearing me. New mike fixed our language barrier.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:28 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 E350, 2017 Subaru WRX

Tesla seems uniquely able to build more cars than prior periods compared with other carmakers. The parts shortage will separate the men from the boys in terms of execution from carmakers. I expect a pre-pubescent performance from MB in this case.

Maybe Mercedes believes in "Best or Nothing" as opposed to repeated false promises. Like this one from Tesla. After years of claiming "the cars in the fleet essentially become self-driving via software update". Imagine the folks that bought the car on this promised feature!!! Whereas in this forum, we hear about missing wireless charger, heated/cooled cupholders in V167.