GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE 63 order thoughts - North East and 22" rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 10:13 PM

Received 129 Likes on 69 Posts
2021 GLE 63
GLE 63 order thoughts - North East and 22" rims

So based on some opinions here I looked around after placing my order for my GLE 63 - October build (have a 2021 GLE 450 that I love now).to see if I could get a better deal than $10k over sticker because that really just bothers me and I'm even questioning myself with gas prices so ridiculous (here in NYC). A new wrinkle in my search, I found a dealer that I'm going to see if they go to $6k and their build is supposedly landing end of Aug (I have build sheet) and is even in the same Selenite color of my GLE now. A couple of issues I'd like opinions on which cause me a lot of concern. First is that they optioned it with the 22" wheels and even worse with Summer performance tire option (I live in Manhattan and have no place to swap tires and store) I need this car for all year use, could I replace all weather tires on a 22" rim and is that ridiculous?, second is that it has the beige Machiato napa interior with diamond stiching which looks great, but I am really scared bout it getting dirty. It has more options that i really wanted with the upgraded burmeister and warmth and comfort package (I think they just fully loaded it). and it's a whopping $137K. Almost twice what I paid fo9r my GLR 450 which has honestly been such a pleasure and no slouch. I'm just kind of obsessed with the 63. Anyone here ride 22's? Ho wbad is it? 21's now have been better than I thought.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:29 PM

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts
2022 GLE450
Here is an opinion you didn't ask for. Do you really want the 63? You have posted enough concerns and praise for the 450 that makes me think the premium won't feel worth it. I love watches and I want to own all these variations and sometimes I remind myself that I should love what I already have as I talk myself back down to earth. Only you know what you want but from what I can see from a far outside perspective is I'd enjoy the 450 and get the AMG later down the line.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:33 PM

2021 GLE 63
Originally Posted by hutch300
Here is an opinion you didn't ask for. Do you really want the 63? You have posted enough concerns and praise for the 450 that makes me think the premium won't feel worth it. I love watches and I want to own all these variations and sometimes I remind myself that I should love what I already have as I talk myself back down to earth. Only you know what you want but from what I can see from a far outside perspective is I'd enjoy the 450 and get the AMG later down the line.
Haha I'm wondering that myself, but you hit a sore spot since I've been collecting watches for many years and it's quite a habit. Thanks, for good advice. Let's see.
The following users liked this post:
hutch300 (06-29-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 11:27 PM

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
Are all season tires even available in that size? If you can’t swap with winter tires and all seasons are unavailable, that car will sit unused for a significant part of the year.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:29 PM

2021 GLE 63
Originally Posted by BlueYonder
Are all season tires even available in that size? If you can’t swap with winter tires and all seasons are unavailable, that car will sit unused for a significant part of the year.
That is a major concern and I don't know. Unfortunately I also don't have a place to store the tires for winter if I wanted to
Old 06-29-2022, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
End of August build will be a 2022 vs order a 2023? You might eat up the $4k difference fixing the tire issue. Some Tire Stores offer storage for tires but then you might not even find winter tires in that size. (I would check with a major Tire shop like Tire Rack, Costco, Discount Tire or even ask the selling Dealer.)
If you aren’t in a hurry you might wait a few months and see how the Economy plays out. High Gas prices, High interest rates, Stock Market Losses, possible Recession might change the dynamics by fall.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:31 AM

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
AMG GLE63S, X5M Comp, CTT, ZO6, Raptor
Just my opinion as a lifelong driver from Michigan and having multiple ultra high performance SUV’s over the years. The stock tires, while not optimal for winter driving, can still be used. They are not useless and let’s face it, NYC doesn’t get huge snow that lasts on the streets for long. It’s not Vermont or Colorado, lol. Really don’t think changing tires is necessary unless extended driving on unplowed and unconditioned streets. 99% of the time the streets are fine for the standard tires imho.

If you’re concerned, and you should be, about the wheels or tires getting damaged then contact a couple people on the forum for some great prices on aftermarket high-end coverage.
Old 07-03-2022, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Vyper340vb
Just my opinion as a lifelong driver from Michigan and having multiple ultra high performance SUV’s over the years. The stock tires, while not optimal for winter driving, can still be used. They are not useless and let’s face it, NYC doesn’t get huge snow that lasts on the streets for long. It’s not Vermont or Colorado, lol. Really don’t think changing tires is necessary unless extended driving on unplowed and unconditioned streets. 99% of the time the streets are fine for the standard tires imho.
I think using summer UHP tires in freezing temps will not only damage them, but probably prohibit movement on ice and snow. I.e. use a different car. Winter, or All Weather tires are necessary. Even All Seasons are questionable.
NYC gets a lot more snow than MI, except for Benton Harbor area. And then it's piled on 5th Avenue there for weeks, waiting for the Big Melt.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mikapen
I think using summer UHP tires in freezing temps will not only damage them, but probably prohibit movement on ice and snow. I.e. use a different car. Winter, or All Weather tires are necessary. Even All Seasons are questionable.
NYC gets a lot more snow than MI, except for Benton Harbor area. And then it's piled on 5th Avenue there for weeks, waiting for the Big Melt.
There was a post a few months ago on a car with this very problem…his wife was driving along and the car was jumping around and vibrating. Summer performance tires become hard and slick in cold temps but worse is the damage that can occur. You might not notice for a year or two but hope you aren’t driving fast when the chunks start separating from the tire. Those that don’t garage their car have the highest risk since a garage will keep the temps up and days can start to warm up above freezing.
Tread Compound Cracking:
Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks.”
TempeAndy (07-03-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 04:52 PM

No chance you’re correct sir. Almanac is your friend …

UHP and UHP All Season are two different animals…and the tires that arrived on my AMG 63S were all season just like most. NYC is a cake walk compared to Detroit for winter driving considering that there is almost NO WHERE in the city where anyone is doing speeds like in the other. Having lived in both I know the difference…

UHP All Season is an option

Last edited by Vyper340vb; 07-03-2022 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:08 PM

Snow Cities

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...-worst-winters

Last edited by Vyper340vb; 07-03-2022 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I guess I must have lived in NYC, Ann Arbor and Lansing at the wrong time then, because that's not my experience. (they can't just remove the snow, because there's no place to put it, so it just sits there and gets darker in color. Melts freezes melts and repeats.)

But more to the point, if you want to get around and not worry about being able to use your car in the winter, get the right tires.
If it's just a spare car, you can switch cars and not worry about the right tires for the season.

In recent years, I have come to respect the vehicle-specific tires that the tire manufacturers are making. In this case it's the MO designation, and MO-1 for AMG. There is a difference, and sometimes they are even less expensive.

Last edited by mikapen; 07-03-2022 at 05:18 PM.
Vyper340vb (07-03-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 05:53 PM

I guess I must have lived in NYC, Ann Arbor and Lansing at the wrong time then, because that's not my experience. (they can't just remove the snow, because there's no place to put it, so it just sits there and gets darker in color. Melts freezes melts and repeats.)

But more to the point, if you want to get around and not worry about being able to use your car in the winter, get the right tires.
If it's just a spare car, you can switch cars and not worry about the right tires for the season.

In recent years, I have come to respect the vehicle-specific tires that the tire manufacturers are making. In this case it's the MO designation, and MO-1 for AMG. There is a difference, and sometimes they are even less expensive.
Perhaps…. Left A2 in 1989 after I graduated from Michigan and commissioned as a naval officer but that’s not exactly Detroit. Lol. Grew up in Farmington Hills and the D however. Never saw a winter including the “great blizzard” in NYC that compared or lasted as long as the miserable Michigan winters drag on to be. My Cayenne Turbo’s never had any issues with winter cold or snow let alone the sands in Corolla , NC with UHP tires. Just my experience. Guess we all have different experiences.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vyper340vb
No chance you’re correct sir. Almanac is your friend …

UHP and UHP All Season are two different animals…and the tires that arrived on my AMG 63S were all season just like most. NYC is a cake walk compared to Detroit for winter driving considering that there is almost NO WHERE in the city where anyone is doing speeds like in the other. Having lived in both I know the difference…

UHP All Season is an option
The OP has 22” tires that don’t come with AS so while you are correct it was easy to misunderstand your post. It appeared that were advising him to get by with those Highway tires in winter conditions.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLE 63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by Daso
Haha I'm wondering that myself, but you hit a sore spot since I've been collecting watches for many years and it's quite a habit. Thanks, for good advice. Let's see.
realize this thread is old but 63 s is every bit worth it IMHO. I got a crazy deal on a 21 with 1k miles on it, drive into Manhattan regularly. Love the car to death it is sick beyond belief. I’m gonna get another with the upgrade.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:39 AM

2021 GLE 63
Originally Posted by GLE 63S Insane!
realize this thread is old but 63 s is every bit worth it IMHO. I got a crazy deal on a 21 with 1k miles on it, drive into Manhattan regularly. Love the car to death it is sick beyond belief. I’m gonna get another with the upgrade.
after finally getting my 63 I’m quite the believer myself and driving happily around Manhattan with the 22’s
Old 02-01-2023, 09:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLE 63 S Coupe
after finally getting my 63 I’m quite the believer myself and driving happily around Manhattan with the 22’s
Glad to hear it! I’ll look around for another 63. I work in the East 70’s, blue 63. 21s for winter and 22s for summer. Best car I’ve ever owned.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:01 AM

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Subaru BRZ
Are you driving around with the summer tires?
Seems like they'd be fine for most of this winter so far, with today being the first day we've had any sort of real coating.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:46 AM

2021 GLE 63
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR
Are you driving around with the summer tires?
Seems like they'd be fine for most of this winter so far, with today being the first day we've had any sort of real coating.
Hi,, No I bit the bullet and shipped the only available Scorpion Zero all seasons to the dealership before I picked it up to swap out the summer tires. I remember having summer tires on my CLK55 years ago and sliding off the highway in a light dusting of snow and siad I'd never do that again. I know some people that do but I'd rather give up a little performance for year round peace of mind. I don't have anywhere to store tires as well. As for this winter, you may get by since it's been pretty warm but also remember that summer tires get stiffer at lower temps.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:49 AM

2021 GLE 63
Originally Posted by GLE 63S Insane!
Glad to hear it! I’ll look around for another 63. I work in the East 70’s, blue 63. 21s for winter and 22s for summer. Best car I’ve ever owned.
We're neighbors, I'm East 50's. Selenite Grey 2021 63S with 22's (I'll look for your 63 ). Went to the NYAMG group meetup recently, fun to see so many tuned AMG's
Old 02-01-2023, 11:06 AM

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Subaru BRZ
Hi,, No I bit the bullet and shipped the only available Scorpion Zero all seasons to the dealership before I picked it up to swap out the summer tires. I remember having summer tires on my CLK55 years ago and sliding off the highway in a light dusting of snow and siad I'd never do that again. I know some people that do but I'd rather give up a little performance for year round peace of mind. I don't have anywhere to store tires as well. As for this winter, you may get by since it's been pretty warm but also remember that summer tires get stiffer at lower temps.
I was just curious. I had one bad experience with summer tires in NYC years ago and have been using all seasons on my BRZ since then.

If I get the GLE 63, I'll probably do the same thing. Seems like I'd need to order in the summer/fall time period if I wanna get a set of those before they go out of stock.