Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Mercedes-AMG Active Ride Control

Part of the Dynamic Plus Pkg (standard on the GLE 63, optional on the 53) is the option 465-AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL. This is a sway bar system to improve driving dynamics that makes a heavy cars handling very much improved.
There is some disagreement on how the systems work on the Mercedes and VAG vehicles. I’m not having any luck so far finding the YouTube vids for Mercedes but I have found one on the Audi/Porsche system that seems similar to me. There were some older Mercedes video from a couple of years ago and some details on the GLE 63 S specs but the 63 has been removed from the online Configurator. Feel free to post any relevant info to help clarify the Mercedes system. I had an older picture of the Mercedes unit that I’ll post if I find it.

YouTube how Active Sway Bars work on Audi:

Porsche exploded view of the center control unit:

Last edited by Ron.s; 07-06-2022 at 09:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron.s:
chassis (07-06-2022), Frenetic (07-06-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Active Ride Control

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Part of the Dynamic Plus Pkg (standard on the GLE 63, optional on the 53) is the option 465-AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL. This is a sway bar system to improve driving dynamics that makes a heavy cars handling very much improved.
There is some disagreement on how the systems work on the Mercedes and VWAG vehicles. I’m not having any luck so far finding the YouTube vids for Mercedes but I have found one on the Audi/Porsche system that seems similar to me. There were some older Mercedes video from a couple of years ago and some details on the GLE 63 S specs but the 63 has been removed from the online Configurator. Feel free to post any relevant info to help clarify the Mercedes system. I had an older picture of the Mercedes unit that I’ll post if I find it.

YouTube how Active Sway Bars work on Audi:
https://youtu.be/wNJt6htiOQY

Porsche exploded view of the center control unit:
I had the previous Active Curve system (part of the Dynamic Handling Package) on my '12 ML 350. It was hydraulically actuated but still was effective in reducing roll but allowing full suspension movement on the straights. My current Active Body Control is also effective, but by a totally different method. This was the W166 Active Curve system:

The following users liked this post:
chassis (07-06-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=GregW / Oregon;8592357]I had the previous Active Curve system (part of the Dynamic Handling Package) on my '12 ML 350. It was hydraulically actuated but still was effective in reducing roll but allowing full suspension movement on the straights. My current Active Body Control is also effective, but by a totally different method. This was the W166 Active Curve system:

It seems like the big difference with the new active sway bars is that they are proactive vs reactive and are much faster…like instant. Our Audi has an older system that keeps the car flat but there is a slight lag when you are inseveral sharp curves vs a more sweeping curve. The new system also applies opposite pressures (up & down) on each side. The video explains it but feeling it in action is very impressive. In all honesty most people will only benefit or notice it occasionally. Because I have it I find myself testing 90 degree corners, off ramps and any curves on a trip.
My link to a Mercedes YouTube video is no longer valid. I think what Mercedes does is pay to sponsor a video on new Technology without ads for a short time and then remove them. They had some impressive cross sections and explanation of the Technology but no matter how I search I can’t find them. The Mercedes Press release wants a log in so not doing very well….
Here’s a side angle of the Mercedes control unit that I had saved.

chassis (07-06-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 10:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,948 Likes on 3,106 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Whether hydraulically or electrically actuated, speed of actuation is software controlled aka its a "calibration" by the carmaker.

The 166-generation Active Curve system uses hydraulics. I am not up to date on the latest 167 embodiment.

The principle is simple: take a stabilizer bar, cut it in half, and apply torque (electromechanically) with controlled magnitude, direction and timing, between the two cut stabilizer bar halves. Applied torque can be controlled via software to act as compliance (displacement-based) or damping (velocity-based), or both.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
1. Note red text. Looks like MB in their wisdom (?) has stuck with hydraulics while VAG is off to better things with electrical actuation.

2. Note misspellings in original Mercedes media release. Mercedes' corporate quality control has gotten so bad they can't even run spell check properly.

https://group-media.mercedes-benz.co...l?oid=51730329

Oct 28, 2021
AffalterbachThe SL 55 4MATIC+ is equipped as standard with a newly developed AMG RIDE CONTROL steel suspension with particularly light and capable aluminium shock absorbers including adjustable damping and lightweight coil springs. For the first time, a series-production Mercedes-AMG vehicle is fitted with a multi-link front axle with five links arranged entirely within the rim. This significantly improves the kinematics. The independent wheel control and wheel suspension elements enable high lateral acceleration values with minimal drive influences on the steering system. At the rear axle, a 5-link design likewise controls the wheels. The SL 63 4MATIC+ also celebrates the première of the innovative AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL suspension with active, hydraulic anti-roll stabilisation. The system enables even better turn-in and load change behaviour with typical AMG dynamics, precision and feedback for the driver. At the same time, it increases ride comfort when driving in a straight line and over bumps.

To reduce unsprung masses, all suspension links, steering knuckles and hub carriers on the front and rear axles of the new SL are made of forged aluminium. The multi-link concept controls each wheel with the least amount of elastic movement. The high camber and track stability not only enables high cornering speeds, it also provides the driver with optimal road contact at the high cornering limit. This is reflected in excellent lateral dynamics and driving stability at high speeds as well as in the good-natured reaction to external influences such as crosswinds, bumps or jumps in friction coefficients. An extremely direct connection of the shock absorber on the rear hub carrier reduces vibrations and undesirable wheel load fluctuations. Independent wheel control and wheel suspension elements enable high lateral acceleration with minimal torque steer – also a comfort feature.

The lightweight coil springs are a new development: Special tempering has reduced their weight without reducing their performance. In the manufacturing process, the spring pad is glued onto the spring for the first time. This firm connection prevents wear and tear caused by dirt such as sand in the course of a vehicle's life. The spring does not corrode over the life cycle, and the maximum component load can consequently be increased with less weight. This saves around 0.2 kilograms per spring.

Another lightweight construction measure concerns the torsion bar stabilisers on the front and rear axles of vehicles without active anti-roll stabilisation. Thanks to a variable wall thickness, their weight can be reduced. For this purpose, the primary material is tailored to the load in the vehicle by means of a special drawing process. The maximum wall thickness is now only used where it is required due to the maximum load, in this case in the area of the rubber mounts.

Even more comfort and sportiness: adaptive adjustable damping with two valves

The SL 55 4MATIC+ features the latest generation of AMG adjustable damping as standard. This system works with two so-called pressure relief valves per damper. With the help of these stepless control valves, a significantly larger damping force spread can be realised: one valve controls the rebound damping, i.e. the force that occurs when the wheel rebounds, and the other controls the compression damping when the wheel compresses. The rebound and compression stages are controlled independently of each other. In detail, this means that the so-called soft characteristic of the shock absorber was reduced and the hard characteristic of the shock absorber could be made even more pronounced. The body thus responds more sensitively to impacts and isolates inputs from the road. At the same time, the further refined control of the rebound valve and compression valve (stepless and independent of each other) stabilises the body in the best possible way. This technology makes it possible to increase comfort on the one hand, but also to make the driving dynamics even sportier on the other hand.

The suspension control unit analyses data - including data from the acceleration and wheel path sensors - to adjust the damping force for each wheel in a few milliseconds to suit the situation. By using the two adjustment valves, the damper is able to provide damping force adjustment across the full range of wheel vibrations. Due to the special design of the valves, the damper reacts quickly and sensitively to changing road surfaces and driving conditions.

The driver can pre-select the basic set-up via the AMG DYNAMIC SELECT driving modes: at the touch of a button, the handling characteristics change, for example, from full dynamics in "Sport+" mode to smooth cruising in the "Comfort" setting. In addition, the tuning can be adjusted in three stages independently of the driving modes via a dedicated button.

For the first time in series production: AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL with hydraulic, active anti-roll stabilisation

The SL 63 4MATIC+ features a completely newly developed hydraulic system, the innovative AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL suspension, which is entering series production for the first time in a Mercedes-AMG model. Biggest innovation: Active hydraulic elements replace the conventional mechanical anti-roll torsion bars and compensate for rolling movements of the new SL in fractions of a second. For this purpose, the adaptive shock absorbers also have two hydraulic connections. One of them is on the compression side of the damper, the other on the rebound side. The connection of the damper chambers at all four wheels and the lines is made directly via the control valves of the adaptive dampers.

The intelligent hydraulic interconnection of the four suspension struts and the pressure regulation of the pump and switching valves allow a very wide roll rate with reduced roll movements at the same time. Figuratively speaking: Any torsion bar from zero to stiff can be realised automatically. In everyday life, this increases comfort because even one-sided bumps are individually compensated for. During dynamic cornering, the hydraulics also actively reduce loss of camber. Thanks to the resulting high camber stability, the roadster turns in very precisely.

When driving straight ahead, the system is opened completely depending on the driving mode and driving situation. The system compensates for individual obstacles that would otherwise lead to roll movements. Drivers and passengers experience a significantly more comfortable driving experience. The reduced roll when cornering pays equal dividends in terms of comfort and driving dynamics. The driving behaviour in the individual driving modes can also be spread even more between comfort and sport.

All dampers are hydraulically connected

The basic principle of the chassis is based on the fact that the compression or rebound sides of the individual dampers of the vehicle are interconnected. The compression stage of the front left damper is connected to the rebound stage of the front right damper via a hydraulic line. In addition, a line through the vehicle also connects to the compression side of the rear left damper and the rebound side of the rear right damper. Analogously, the other sides of the damper chambers are connected to each other via a second circuit. The simplified routings of the hydraulic lines each result in the shape of an "H".

In addition to the interconnection of the dampers, other components that are important for the function are used in the system. The rebound and compression sides of the dampers are directly connected via an electrically controlled 2/2-way valve, called a "comfort valve". A pressure accumulator is also attached to each of the damper compression sides. Both circuits are additionally connected to a central pump. It ensures that the hydraulic system pressure can be adjusted in both circuits. The connection between the pump and the circuits is made via 2/2-way valves. Pressure sensors are integrated downstream of the valves to monitor the system pressure in the respective lines. The possibility of freely selecting the system pressure opens up the degree of freedom to choose the size of the generated anti-roll support. The principle here is: The higher the system pressure, the greater the roll resistance to be expected.

The system works very efficiently as it uses the existing kinetic energy of the vehicle to positively influence the roll behaviour. The hydraulics of the AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL suspension also feed the optional lift system for the front axle. If necessary, the front end lifts by 30 millimetres, making it easier to enter underground car parks or drive over speed bumps, for example. The lift system is operated via the multimedia central display or the AMG steering wheel buttons. The corresponding menu opens after pressing the area with the vehicle symbol on the control bar. Among other things, a position at which the lift system is used can be stored using GPS technology so that the front end of the vehicle is raised automatically when it passes the corresponding point again.

Limited-slip rear differential for optimised handling stability

As standard, the SL 63 4MATIC+ features an electronically controlled limited-slip rear differential that ensures outstanding traction and maximum driving safety in all driving conditions. For the SL 55 4MATIC+ it is available as part of the optional AMG DYNAMIC PLUS Package. Not only is the traction of the drive wheels on the rear axle further improved - the cornering speeds at the limit also increase. In addition, handling stability is optimised when changing lanes at high speed. The system operates with a variable locking effect in acceleration and overrun mode, and is perfectly tuned to the various driving conditions and road surface friction coefficients.

AMG high-performance composite braking system for short braking distances

The newly developed AMG high-performance composite braking system guarantees excellent deceleration values and precise control. It impresses with short braking distances, sensitive response and last but not least with high stability and durability - even under extreme stress. Among the comfort features of the vehicle are Hill Start Assist, priming and dry-braking in the wet. With the ignition switched off and the vehicle at a standstill, the transmission automatically selects the parking position "P". Meanwhile, the electric parking brake releases automatically when pulling away.

The composite brake discs are particularly light: Driving dynamics and turn-in behaviour benefit from the reduced unsprung masses. Brake disc (made of cast steel) and brake disc chamber (made of aluminium) are now connected with special pins and no longer with screws as before. This design saves space, which is used for even better brake cooling. The directional perforation is also new: In addition to the weight saving and better heat dissipation, this solution scores points with a faster response in wet conditions as well as better pad cleaning after braking.

The two SL variants with V8 engine are fitted with vented and perforated composite brake discs measuring 390 x 36 millimetres with 6-piston fixed callipers at the front, and 360 x 26 millimetres with 1-piston floating callipers at the rear. The SL 55 4MATIC+ has red-painted brake callipers, while the SL 63 4MATIC+ has yellow callipers.

As an option, both SL variants can be fitted with the AMG ceramic high-performance composite braking system, with brake discs measuring 402 x 39 millimetres on the front axle and 360 x 32 millimetres on the rear axle. It saves even more weight compared to the standard brake. At the same time, the ceramic discs withstand even extreme loads and keep braking distances permanently short - ideal for use on the race track, for example. Thanks to the bronze finish of the brake callipers, they are also immediately recognisable as absolute high-performance components. All pads are copper-free and therefore more environmentally friendly.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
This one talks about a 48V-actuated system. Do the SL and GLE have different "AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL" system?

https://www.mercedes-amg.com/en/worl...-63-coupe.html
Old 07-05-2022, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by chassis
2. Note misspellings in original Mercedes media release. Mercedes' corporate quality control has gotten so bad they can't even run spell check properly.
Or the article is written for a European/British audience seeing as its on the Global Mercedes Media Site and not on the US site.
The following 2 users liked this post by js_cls:
chassis (07-05-2022), Ron.s (07-06-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 10:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by js_cls
Or the article is written for a European/British audience seeing as its on the Global Mercedes Media Site and not on the US site.
I stand corrected. In a career of dealing with this type of stuff globally I have never seen "callipers" spelled with two ls. The Cambridge dictionary notes both spellings, with one and with two ls. Every day there is something new!
js_cls (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This one talks about a 48V-actuated system. Do the SL and GLE have different "AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL" system?

I don’t know about the SL but the Mercedes GLE 63S & 53 (option) have 48 volt electrically controlled Sway bars front and back like the VAG Cayenne. As you say it’s software controlled but seems advanced way beyond anything prior. You have to drive one to appreciate how well it works driving aggressively and … it even softens one wheel hits by relaxing the sway bar for that wheel. It anticipates and makes the adjustments as or before needed.

Last edited by Ron.s; 07-05-2022 at 11:09 PM.
chassis (07-06-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 11:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
If there is one stabilizer bar, in two pieces connected via an electromechanical actuator, with only two reaction points to the body, the stabilizer bar itself can’t act on one wheel without also acting on the other wheel.

Individual wheel behavior can be controlled via the spring, aka strut.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If there is one stabilizer bar, in two pieces connected via an electromechanical actuator, with only two reaction points to the body, the stabilizer bar itself can’t act on one wheel without also acting on the other wheel.
Individual wheel behavior can be controlled via the spring, aka strut.
It softens the hit by freeing the stabilizer as though it’s not there on that wheel. That’s per Mercedes but you can feel it in action by hitting a calming bar like you find in parking lots. First try it with both wheels (jar your teeth) and then move over so one wheel misses it and barely feel it…not half as bad but less. I tried it since I was skeptical of the claim.
chassis (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 07:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
It softens the hit by freeing the stabilizer as though it’s not there on that wheel. That’s per Mercedes but you can feel it in action by hitting a calming bar like you find in parking lots. First try it with both wheels (jar your teeth) and then move over so one wheel misses it and barely feel it…not half as bad but less. I tried it since I was skeptical of the claim.
Correct. The system, whether hydraulically or electrically actuated, decides that zero (or low) torque in the stabilizer bar is needed for the driving conditions at hand. This gives the ride feeling described. A plurality of sensors is used by the software to make decisions, as usual with modern vehicle control systems.

Think of the active stabilizer bar as a variable torque device, similar to a transfer case in the driveline. The job of an active stabilizer bar is to deliver torque at the commanded magnitude and sign (positive or negative) at the commanded time (responsiveness). As previously mentioned, the active stabilizer bar can deliver torque in a compliance sense (“stiffness”) or a velocity sense (“damping”) using logic similar to what some refer to as a PID control method.

The hydraulic or electric actuator in the bar is simply a “torquer”. If it was locked and did nothing, a traditional passive stabilizer bar would result. On the other hand if the device was open and the the two stabilizer bar halves were disconnected, the system would behave like a Wrangler Rubicon with stabar disconnect. AMG Active Ride Control is operating in the zone between old passive stabar and Rubicon disconnect.

I was in a factory not long ago where some of these components are produced.

Last edited by chassis; 07-06-2022 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 734 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 S500
This was one of the things I immediately noticed when I drove the GLE versus my BMW in that the body roll was significantly less in corners. This certainly explains why.

You can feel "heft" in the BMW while the GLE felt "lighter," even though they essentially weigh the same and have the same type of dampers.
chassis (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan

Yes they are significantly different.
And quite a bit different from the Porsche application, and although I haven't looked into the Audi system very closely I understand they are different from each other.
The difficult thing is that both Porsche and Mercedes name their active suspensions with the same terminology over the years, with different technology.

Back to Mercedes. In previous versions, from Greg's old ML to the SL Chassis presented, the hydraulics are used to adjust the shock loading and length. In those, at 12 volt motor drove a belt which drove a a hydraulic pump that was slow to reverse and had less strength. The new hydraulics in the 167 are 48 volt pumps, directly driven with no belt. They are stronger quicker and immediately reversible.
I believe Porsche and Audi still use a 12 volt belt driven system.

All the above have 48 volt step motors with planetary gears driving the active sway bars. I have seen claims on the Daimler site, that the Mercedes units apply 800 lb feet of torque for each planetary gearset.

What's unclear to me is how many planetary gear sets are associated with each step motor.
One cutaway diagram I saw on the Daimler site (but haven't been able to re-find it for over a year, showed a planetary gear set it each end of the step motor. (One gearset per sway bar, instead of one set driving both sway bars.)
A rubber mount, as partly shown in some of the above diagrams, fixes the step motor solidly to the chassis, providing a solid location, against which the planetary gearsets lever the active sway bars.

So, my question is: how many planetary gear sets are associated with each step motor on the new 167 ARC?
If I hadn't seen that introductory text and photo on the Daimler site, I would have assumed 800 ft lb applied at each end of the car. If there are two gearsets, double of the torque is huge. It FEELS huge.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Active Ride Control

Originally Posted by mikapen
Back to Mercedes. In previous versions, from Greg's old ML to the SL Chassis presented, the hydraulics are used to adjust the shock loading and length. In those, at 12 volt motor drove a belt which drove a a hydraulic pump that was slow to reverse and had less strength. The new hydraulics in the 167 are 48 volt pumps, directly driven with no belt. They are stronger quicker and immediately reversible. All the above have 48 volt step motors with planetary gears driving the active sway bars. I have seen claims on the Daimler site, that the Mercedes units apply 800 lb feet of torque for each planetary gearset.
Not following you here. AFAIK. the V167 does not use hydraulics per your one statement, but is purely electrically operated, "electromechanical roll stabilization AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL" per Mercedes.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 07-06-2022 at 12:00 PM.
chassis (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Not following you here. AFAIK. the V167 does not use hydraulics per your one statement, but is purely electrically operated, "electromechanical roll stabilization AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL" per Mercedes.
Sway bars are 100% 48v, but there is more to roll stabilization then just the active sway bars.
It comes into effect on more than just handling, such as cross wind stabilization. I think hydraulics are used to load or unload the shocks.

The older S-Class suspension of the same name gets me confused.
But my understanding is that the shock absorbers are preloaded by hydraulics, on both (different) versions of the ARC. And the biggest difference with that specific function, was the belt driven hydraulic pumps versus the correct 48 volt driven pumps on the 167.

Trying to decipher the somewhat cryptic Daimler press releases has led me down the wrong path of understanding in the past.
I may be confusing the S-class ARC with the 167 E-ABC, which you have, and I had last year on my 2020 450.

Thanks @Ron.s for the thread. If we all put our heads together maybe we can come up with a consensus. The Great Reveal!
Can you rename your thread to be more specific?

Last edited by mikapen; 07-06-2022 at 12:38 PM.
chassis (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 12:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Folks let’s be clear.

The stabilizer bar in the Porsche and MB systems are active. There is one active stabilizer bar at each end of the vehicle. The active element can be thought of as a black box. The black box has either hydraulic lines or electric power cables entering it for motive power.

The active stabilizer bar black box exerts zero to max torque in a positive or negative sense depending on what the software tells it to do. That’s all.

Planetary gearing in the black box is simply there to multiply the torque supplied by the electric motor to a level needed by the suspension. Without planetary gears the black box would need to be much larger for the same output torque. There is no secret sauce about planetary gearing, or its presence in the system. It is simply a means to an end - deliver the right amount and direction of torque at the right time.

Separately, air springs (aka and incorrectly “struts”) and active shocks (aka “dampers”) are additionally controllable for level (springs) and damping characteristic (shocks). Air springs are old technology, as are active shocks (Corvette Magnaride).

Dynamically, the active shocks and stabilizer bar are doing the work. Air springs I am aware of are not sufficiently fast to dump air or pump up, in the manner of a true active suspension like Lotus demonstrated in the 1980s.

jaxslk (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sway bars are 100% 48v, but there is more to roll stabilization then just the active sway bars.
It comes into effect on more than just handling, such as cross wind stabilization. I think hydraulics are used to load or unload the shocks.

But my understanding is that the shock absorbers are preloaded by hydraulics, on both (different) versions of the ARC. And the biggest difference with that specific function, was the belt driven hydraulic pumps versus the correct 48 volt driven pumps on the 167.

Trying to decipher the somewhat cryptic Daimler press releases has led me down the wrong path of understanding in the past.
I may be confusing the S-class ARC with the 167 E-ABC, which you have, and I had last year on my 2020 450.

Thanks @Ron.s for the thread. If we all put our heads together maybe we can come up with a consensus. The Great Reveal!
I found the following specific to the V167 on a British site. AFAIK the GLE does not have any pumped hydraulics related to the suspension. The ARC in the S-Class my have had because it also had road scanning. GLE's E-ABC has road scanning, but I do not believe the ARC does.

"AGILE AND PRECIES: AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL ROLL STABILISATION

The AMG RIDE CONTROL+ air suspension newly developed in Affalterbach provides a driving experience characterised by both long-distance comfort and great agility, neutral cornering behaviour and maximum traction.

One new feature makes a decisive contribution to the AMG-specific setup for high driving dynamics: the active roll stabilisation system AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL with two independently operating, electro-mechanical actuators at the front and rear axle. This system not only reduces body roll when cornering, but also allows more precise control of cornering properties and load change characteristics. In addition, it increases ride comfort when driving in a straight line because stimuli by one-sided road bumps are balanced out, for example. Body movements can be actively and optimally adapted to the driving status, which intensifies the driving experience.

Another benefit compared with the usual hydraulic-based systems is the significantly faster response. The AMG control can adapt the driving status up to 1000 times per second. The sampling rate is thus a mere one-thousandth of a second. There is also the low weight of the components compared with the usual solutions.

FOR HEIGHTENED SPORTINESS: AIR SUSPENSION WITH CONTINUOUSLY ADJUSTABLE DAMPING

The AMG RIDE CONTROL+ air suspension with a particularly sporty spring/damper setup and the adaptively adjustable ADS+ (Adaptive Damping System) ensures a combination of outstanding driving dynamics and a high level of ride comfort. The damping characteristics can be preselected in three modes, “Comfort”, “Sport” and “Sport+”, allowing a significantly more noticeable differentiation between excellent long-distance comfort and sporty driving dynamics. In addition, there are two new levels for off-road use – “Trail” and “Sand”.

Thanks to the all-round pneumatic level control, the GLE 53 4MATIC+ Coupé maintains a constant vehicle level irrespective of the load carried. The vehicle level is generally lowered by 10 mm in the AMG DYNAMIC SELECT drive programs “Sport” and “Sport+”. In the “Comfort” drive program, the vehicle is lowered by 10 mm from a speed of 120 km/h. This reduces aerodynamic drag and therefore fuel consumption. In addition, handling stability is improved thanks to a lower centre of gravity. To increase ground clearance on poor surfaces or on ramps, the suspension level can be raised by up to 55 mm at the touch of a button when the engine is running – both when stationary and when driving at up to 70 km/h."

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 07-06-2022 at 03:13 PM.
chassis (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 03:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I found the following specific to the V167 on a British site. AFAIK the GLE does not have any pumped hydraulics related to the suspension. The ARC in the S-Class my have had because it also had road scanning. GLE's E-ABC has road scanning, but I do not believe the ARC does.

"AGILE AND PRECISE: AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL ROLL STABILISATION

The AMG RIDE CONTROL+ air suspension newly developed in Affalterbach provides a driving experience characterised by both long-distance comfort and great agility, neutral cornering behaviour and maximum traction.

One new feature makes a decisive contribution to the AMG-specific setup for high driving dynamics: the active roll stabilisation system AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL with two independently operating, electro-mechanical actuators at the front and rear axle. This system not only reduces body roll when cornering, but also allows more precise control of cornering properties and load change characteristics. In addition, it increases ride comfort when driving in a straight line because stimuli by one-sided road bumps are balanced out, for example. Body movements can be actively and optimally adapted to the driving status, which intensifies the driving experience.

Another benefit compared with the usual hydraulic-based systems is the significantly faster response. The AMG control can adapt the driving status up to 1000 times per second. The sampling rate is thus a mere one-thousandth of a second. There is also the low weight of the components compared with the usual solutions.

FOR HEIGHTENED SPORTINESS: AIR SUSPENSION WITH CONTINUOUSLY ADJUSTABLE DAMPING

The AMG RIDE CONTROL+ air suspension with a particularly sporty spring/damper setup and the adaptively adjustable ADS+ (Adaptive Damping System) ensures a combination of outstanding driving dynamics and a high level of ride comfort. The damping characteristics can be preselected in three modes, “Comfort”, “Sport” and “Sport+”, allowing a significantly more noticeable differentiation between excellent long-distance comfort and sporty driving dynamics. In addition, there are two new levels for off-road use – “Trail” and “Sand”.

Thanks to the all-round pneumatic level control, the GLE 53 4MATIC+ Coupé maintains a constant vehicle level irrespective of the load carried. The vehicle level is generally lowered by 10 mm in the AMG DYNAMIC SELECT drive programs “Sport” and “Sport+”. In the “Comfort” drive program, the vehicle is lowered by 10 mm from a speed of 120 km/h. This reduces aerodynamic drag and therefore fuel consumption. In addition, handling stability is improved thanks to a lower centre of gravity. To increase ground clearance on poor surfaces or on ramps, the suspension level can be raised by up to 55 mm at the touch of a button when the engine is running – both when stationary and when driving at up to 70 km/h."
Same or similar as the source in post #6.

“electro-mechanical actuators” = black box between stabilizer bar halves with power cables for motive power (torque).
Old 07-06-2022, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had it named correctly but somehow the post dropped all but Mercedes. I went advanced and fixed it in the post but it didn’t change the header.
Porsche and Audi use the same system according to my Dealer contact. I’m wondering what model Porsche Cayenne you test drove. This system is only available in upper end models and then as an option. The Cayenne has a slightly lower center of gravity and Rear wheel steering/Torque Vectoring that our Mercedes’ don’t have. Reviews and owners give it “best of class” road manners/handling. I can’t imagine anything this heavy working better than our 53’s but….
chassis (07-06-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had it named correctly but somehow the post dropped all but Mercedes. I went advanced and fixed it in the post but it didn’t change the header.
Porsche and Audi use the same system according to my Dealer contact. I’m wondering what model Porsche Cayenne you test drove. This system is only available in upper end models and then as an option. The Cayenne has a slightly lower center of gravity and Rear wheel steering/Torque Vectoring that our Mercedes’ don’t have. Reviews and owners give it “best of class” road manners/handling. I can’t imagine anything this heavy working better than our 53’s but….
I drove a 2019 GTS, used. It was kind of a stripper GTS, with the only options being fully loaded with the alphabet handling stuff. It had rear steer, vectoring and 21 inchers. I don't remember the tire brand.

I drove on a route that I'm very familiar with, because it was my commute for a decade. Mountain Road, all types of corners, two lanes each direction, 20 mi and a gain of 2,500 ft. Then back down. Drove the 53 and the Cayenne consecutively.

Even with the rear steer, I didn't think the Cayenne felt as immediate, even though it's quite a bit lighter.
The Cayenne has always been my standard for responsive steering with supple ride. My takeaway is that the AMG 53 is at least as good.

Both cars are exceptional.
chassis (07-07-2022)