Ordering new GLE450-Options ?s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Ordering new GLE450-Options ?s

HI All,

Reserved a spot for a new build. Wondering what recommendations you all have for "must haves" and things you'd pass on? Mainly highway driver and put on miles with 200+ mile commutes at least 2-3 times per week. Live in the midwest with snow what feels like 7 months out of the year. All 4 seasons so rough roads. Current vehicle is 2012 ML350 and I LOVE it but it has 340k miles on it and it has treated me well with no major issues. I need to look for something before I'm forced to. Non-negotiable items for me are heated steering wheel so no AMG package interior, heated seats front and back, AMG exterior and night package, pano roof, and dark interior with aluminum trim. This is my first ever brand new car and I don't want to overlook options.
Options I'm considering:
1. 22" AMG 5 spoke wheels which require upgrade to airmatic suspension. I love the look of the bigger wheels but haven't ever experienced airmatic suspension
2. Massage seats
3. Acoustic comfort package
Old 07-13-2022, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Originally Posted by Lamiller
HI All,

Reserved a spot for a new build. Wondering what recommendations you all have for "must haves" and things you'd pass on? Mainly highway driver and put on miles with 200+ mile commutes at least 2-3 times per week. Live in the midwest with snow what feels like 7 months out of the year. All 4 seasons so rough roads. Current vehicle is 2012 ML350 and I LOVE it but it has 340k miles on it and it has treated me well with no major issues. I need to look for something before I'm forced to. Non-negotiable items for me are heated steering wheel so no AMG package interior, heated seats front and back, AMG exterior and night package, pano roof, and dark interior with aluminum trim. This is my first ever brand new car and I don't want to overlook options.
Options I'm considering:
1. 22" AMG 5 spoke wheels which require upgrade to airmatic suspension. I love the look of the bigger wheels but haven't ever experienced airmatic suspension
2. Massage seats
Go with the 450 at all cost and you will love the power and smoothness of the motor. Get the driving assist package, heads-up display and intelligent light package. Also get the running boards (illuminated - can't do this afterwards). Not sure if you want the Augmented reality option as it is like just a gimmick but you also get a so-so built-in dashcam. If you like to have more seating control on the 2nd row, option the 3rd row seats as that gives you more flexibility on the seat arrangement. This is the only way you can adjust the seat recline of the 2nd row seat (5 seater option has a FIXED backrest) not like the previous gen that you can adjust with mechanically. Stay clear from the 22" as tire replacement cost is horrendous. 21" is good enough. Having airmatic is very nice but getting one might be a problem on non-AMGs (53/63). The vehicle is very quiet already so not sure if acoustic comfort package is needed unless you live in an area that always have people blowing their horns. If you live on snowy region get the heated windshield. Get the cooled cupholders and if you fancy the wireless charging option go for it but make sure your phone fits on the hole. If you have one of those huge phones like Iphone 13 or S22+ with a case it won't fit. Get the tow package as well (A MUST). Get the burmester system upgrade (not the high-end one).

Does your ML have the alum. trim outside? Does it have white residue like this on the video
If yes the black trim will look worst after a few years and only way to fix it is to replace the trims so make sure you search the web of how it looks like after a few years as you might regret having it. Also consider the espresso brown interior of the vehicle as it is very nice and different.

GL!
The following 3 users liked this post by shotgun_banjo:
Benzgurl#1 (07-16-2022), hutch300 (07-13-2022), Lamiller (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Option choices

Originally Posted by Lamiller
HI All,

Options I'm considering:
2. Massage seats
You might reconsider 22" wheels if you have rough roads and very limited (& expensive) tire selection in that size. RWB 21s or RZW 20s would be fine. I would suggest Premium, Airmatic, Lighting, HUD, MB Tex-dash, Augmented Video (gives you full screen CarPlay), Passenger Seat Memory.
The following 2 users liked this post by GregW / Oregon:
hutch300 (07-13-2022), Lamiller (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 02:04 PM

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
I believe those 22" tires are Summer tires. You will need to purchase all season or snow tires to use in the cold season.
Old 07-13-2022, 02:21 PM

Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
You might reconsider 22" wheels if you have rough roads and very limited (& expensive) tire selection in that size. RWB 21s or RZW 20s would be fine. I would suggest Premium, Airmatic, Lighting, HUD, MB Tex-dash, Augmented Video (gives you full screen CarPlay), Passenger Seat Memory.
+1 for the MB Tex-dash!
The following users liked this post:
hutch300 (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 351 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Augmented video does not give you full screen CarPlay, but it does give you full screen map on the dash and the ability to play video.

Your choice of options really comes down to personal preference. For example, I really DONT like the running boards - they’re small and the car is fairly low, and they scuff the backs of legs/pants after getting dirty because of their placement.

I would highly recommend the Drivers assist package, but understand if you’re against that stuff.

The only other thing I would strongly recommend is the MB-Tex dash and door trim - it’s quite inexpensive and makes the interior look and feel significantly more upscale.

As for your asks:
22 inch wheels? I would pass because I live in the northeast. They’re cool as hell but very impractical. Have some serious downsides/compromises as others have pointed out.

As for airmatic, it’s required for 22s (ride would be too rough otherwise.) but if you go for 21s or especially 20s I would recommend against it. On top of being very hard to get (limited supply), it can make the ride quite floaty And a little unsettled.

Acoustic comfort? It’s already a quiet car, this takes it up to the next level. It’s cool but maybe unnecessary, depends on your expectations. Also I’ve heard it can block signals for toll passes.

Massage seats? Really fun, but require upgraded upholstery and I like MB-Tex the best.

Last edited by BenjaminKohl; 07-13-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2022, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 734 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 S500
The driving assist package was an absolute must for me. It makes such a huge difference on long-distance trips or highway commutes with heavy traffic. I’ll never get another car without radar cruise control with stop and go.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Essentials I would order the car with:
-AMG Line Exterior
-Panorama Roof
-Heated Steering Wheel
-Premium Package
-Driver Assistance Package Plus (Distronic)

For you:
-You say you want 22's, but given your mileage and rough roads I'd opt for 21's or even 20's to get more sidewall and comfort, especially if you are not interested in Airmatic.
-Distronic Cruise Control will be very nice considering you drive a lot.
-In addition, Multi-Contour Seats with Massage will be nice on long drives.

-Ventilated Seats are nice, but not as necessary as they are not as powerful as cooled seats.
-Rapid heating is likely beneficial in the winter, haven't tested it though, regular heated seats will probably do the job.
-HUD is nice, but depends on the person, for me, I can take it or leave it (although S-Class HUD is a gamechanger imo)
-MBUX Augmented Video, if you go through tight cities and use MB nav it is nice, if you use Apple Carplay, ignore this
-Heated and Cooled Cupholders, only $180, if you're doing trips you may want to keep your drinks cool.
Benzgurl#1 (07-16-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Greg,

Can you still get passenger memory today? i know it was removed because of chip shortage. Also the power headrest on the passenger side is gone.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
Greg,

Can you still get passenger memory today? i know it was removed because of chip shortage. Also the power headrest on the passenger side is gone.
Sorry, I have no current info. Check with a dealer.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 351 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
Greg,

from what I’ve seen, cars with vins 675000-725000 might have it, but recently built cars aren’t missing it. It was fairly few cars that missed out on it - even while the shortage was happening, only 1 out of 2 or 3 that was supposed to have it didn’t. in fact, GLSs being built now even have the wireless charging back! And E classes, A, CLA, and GLB have AR Nav back in limited amounts. I think I’ve seen a GKS with it too.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
All good suggestions and if I had to do it over I’d leave the 22’s off………hard/expensive to replace, only summer tires, and hard on holes.
Tow hitch, tow hitch, tow hitch.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:40 AM

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
Wireless charger is a waste IMO. I ordered it, but was missing from my 2022 GLE 450 build as well as heated and cooled cup holders. What I didn't know when I ordered it is that for Apple Car Play, your phone needs to be plugged into the USB-C port. As a result, your phone will be charging anyway. NO BLUETOOTH CARPLAY - something my 2018 BMW had. Not new tech!!

As far as Intelligent lighting system is concerned, It doesn't work out of the box in U.S.. You need to get it coded by someone like RJ Automotive . I'm having mine done today; can't wait to see it in action.

Also, always passed on the adaptive cruise control and always beat myself up for not doing it. I drive 400+ miles a week, and finally ordered it this time - So happy I did and the stop and go feature is great when you're in traffic..

Once you have HUD, you never go back! Had it my BMW, and MB salesman tried to talk me out of it. So glad I didn't listen to him. It is much larger than that of BMW, and never need to take look at instrument panel.

AR is a cool gimmick, but very helpful at night when pulling up to a new destination and you cant read the house addresses. AR superimposes the addresses onto the buildings.

Good luck with your build!

Last edited by TonyF61; 07-15-2022 at 08:17 AM.
Benzgurl#1 (07-16-2022)