GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Fuel door will not open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 07:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 GLE 350
Fuel door will not open

I (well my wife) drives a 2020 350 and today she could not open the fuel door. She did everything she could, unlocked and locked the doors, moved the key around (inside and outside the car) nothing worked. She gets gas often, so, really she did nothing different. Anyway, she has an appointment at the dealer tomorrow, but just wondering if anyone has had this problem or if it is a one off. I am out of town and can’t attempt to fix or trouble shoot.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 756 Likes on 472 Posts
2023 S500
I don’t know why manufacturers moved away from mechanical latches to these push-button mechanisms that are ignition controlled. The Audi model I had was notorious for failing gas cap hatches where the solenoid would break down. However, at least Audi had the sense to install an emergency release handle on the interior (albeit it didn’t always work). It’s too bad most people were unaware of this emergency handle buried behind the panel and were left stranded because they ran out of gas. I don’t see any emergency release handle for Mercedes.

For something so mundane yet so critical to the operation of the vehicle, simple old-school mechanical latches that you can pull from the interior works best. No solenoids or other electronically controlled actuators or locks that will invariably fail and break.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Fuel door won't open

Originally Posted by Frenetic
I don’t know why manufacturers moved away from mechanical latches to these push-button mechanisms that are ignition controlled. The Audi model I had was notorious for failing gas cap hatches where the solenoid would break down. However, at least Audi had the sense to install an emergency release handle on the interior (albeit it didn’t always work). It’s too bad most people were unaware of this emergency handle buried behind the panel and were left stranded because they ran out of gas. I don’t see any emergency release handle for Mercedes.

For something so mundane yet so critical to the operation of the vehicle, simple old-school mechanical latches that you can pull from the interior works best. No solenoids or other electronically controlled actuators or locks that will invariably fail and break.
They went that direction so the fuel flap locks and unlocks with the rest of the vehicle; but, yes, a mechanical emergency release backup would be nice. In 24 years of owning vehicles with this feature I don't ever remember a failure, though.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:03 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
I'm pretty sure there should be an emergency release handle behind the trim in the right rear cargo compartment. Or at least that's where it was on every other Mercedes I have owned. Let us know what the dealer says.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Brocktoon
I'm pretty sure there should be an emergency release handle behind the trim in the right rear cargo compartment. Or at least that's where it was on every other Mercedes I have owned. Let us know what the dealer says.
It's not behind the quick release removable panel at the rear of the right side. The panel directly behind the filler is not easily removable.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:50 PM

Received 162 Likes on 108 Posts
2019 C300 Cabriolet, 2022 AMG GLE 53
Hoping some kind member here with access to a shop guide can search for a procedure on how to override/open the door, and perhaps post the PDF for us. This would be good to know, esp if out on a trip away from home (cue the "crowbar music"...).
The following users liked this post:
MarkerVB (08-10-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 08:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 GLE 350
So, the wife got this fixed yesterday. “Defective fuel door actuator motor”. It is what it is I guess. At least they gave it one of their crappy dealer washes…which got rid of the brake dust. (Bonus)

If there is a way to open the door in an emergency, please share.

BUT, the best part was that they sent me an email suggesting the rear pads and rotors need to be replaced (32k miles!!) A quick back ground on me. I do car restoration as a hobby. I have a lift in the garage with years of experience. I just rotated the tires and checked out the underside of the vehicle (because I like to &#128521 Everything was perfect, as it should be with a car that was purchased as a CPO 2 months ago😉.

Even better…. The quote was $900.. I get it.. “It is a Benz, stealership pricing, maybe some BS about inflation” But rear pads and rotors $900. I don’t know what you all have paid, but, that is out of this world. Maybe I am out of touch since I do not use dealerships or any other car shops since I do my own work. Wow. Anyway, at least she can now get gas
The following 4 users liked this post by Lunarman:
Frenetic (08-12-2022), jaxslk (08-11-2022), Neurobit (08-11-2022), Vyper340vb (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brake service

Originally Posted by Lunarman
BUT, the best part was that they sent me an email suggesting the rear pads and rotors need to be replaced (32k miles!!) A quick back ground on me. I do car restoration as a hobby. I have a lift in the garage with years of experience. I just rotated the tires and checked out the underside of the vehicle (because I like to &#128521 Everything was perfect, as it should be with a car that was purchased as a CPO 2 months ago😉.

Even better…. The quote was $900.. I get it.. “It is a Benz, stealership pricing, maybe some BS about inflation” But rear pads and rotors $900. I don’t know what you all have paid, but, that is out of this world. Maybe I am out of touch since I do not use dealerships or any other car shops since I do my own work. Wow. Anyway, at least she can now get gas
I was just $2,045 for rears & $1,620 for fronts on my BMW M4!
Neurobit (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Is there an emergency release? Again, my Audi had one.

I guess if it comes down to it, we can always just pry the thing open if it means running out of gas, protecting the paint of course. I know I’ve read reports on the Audi forum of people having to do this because the emergency release didn’t work lol.

Again, I despise these motor-controlled releases versus a simple mechanical latch. It’s an unnecessary complication of a critical function.
TonyF61 (08-12-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 01:47 PM

Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts
2021 GLE450
This thread got me wondering if there is an emergency release. Internet searches returned nothing relevant, so I dug a little deeper on my own. When I removed the access panel on the RH side of the cargo area and pulled out the insulation, I could actually see the fuel filler door motor assembly. Unfortunately, I saw nothing that looks like a release, and feeling around in there got me nowhere, either. If there is a release, it is really well concealed and probably accessed only by removing the fixed trim panel.
The following 3 users liked this post by HotRodW:
Brocktoon (08-13-2022), Frenetic (08-13-2022), jaxslk (08-13-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Well that’s too bad.

The Audi fuel door was notorious for sticking. Moisture would get in and the actuator would eventually fail. It has left people stranded and some have resorted to prying the door open.

It might be better to try and push that thing out instead of prying it open in case of an emergency knowing it is accessible from the interior.
HotRodW (08-13-2022)