GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

350 vs 450 GLE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2022 | 04:19 PM

GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Originally Posted by djer

If were to put on your hat and consider a 450 standard non-AMG package, there are certain colors that I'm okay with, for example Selenite Gray or Obsidian Black that I think looks very nice with the chrome, but it has to have the 21" double 5-spoke wheel since it has the flared fenders. So there's that. I would be content with the engine choice, AND the color, AND my wallet.
According to the 2023 DOGs posted elsewhere on the site, that wheel is discontinued for for 2023 some reason. I wonder if they will change it on the infotainment graphics? Probably not.
Old 08-29-2022 | 04:30 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by mynewgle
They all share the same transmission correct? Seems odd that only the 450 and AMG models suffer with the downshift issues.
Technically speaking no—the 450 has an inline motor/generator (M/G) sandwiched between the engine and transmission. I believe the M/G resides in the transmission housing, and the torque converter is between the engine and M/G. The 350 has the torque converter sandwiched between the engine and transmission. Thus if the M/G is acting as a generator it will feel similar to engine braking. Should the transmission then down shift 3-2 or 2-1, I could see where it could be more “jarring” than on the 350.

That said, I believe you are correct that from the M/G back, the 9-speed transmission is the same on both models.

Old 08-29-2022 | 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by TexAg91
Technically speaking no—the 450 has an inline motor/generator (M/G) sandwiched between the engine and transmission. I believe the M/G resides in the transmission housing, and the torque converter is between the engine and M/G. The 350 has the torque converter sandwiched between the engine and transmission. Thus if the M/G is acting as a generator it will feel similar to engine braking. Should the transmission then down shift 3-2 or 2-1, I could see where it could be more “jarring” than on the 350.
That said, I believe you are correct that from the M/G back, the 9-speed transmission is the same on both models.
Splitting hairs here but-
The ISG (integrated starter generator) sits between the engine and transmission and eliminates the normal flywheel found on the GLE 350. While coasting and in Eco mode it can disconnect letting the car move free with no resistance like a stick shift in neutral.The ISG may also mildly charge coasting, while driving and almost always charges the max when the brake pedal is depressed. Some of this depends on the battery “state of charge”.
There was a long thread from about a year ago with a lot of detail. There seem to be more than one ISG types now so some others may still have a flywheel. As I recall something I read recently, Mercedes is adding the ISG to a 4 cylinder engine in a different model for 2023.

Here’s the ISG source:
https://www.autocentral.com/doc/inte...generator-0001

Last edited by Ron.s; 08-29-2022 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2022 | 08:18 AM

2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport
Originally Posted by djer

If were to put on your hat and consider a 450 standard non-AMG package, there are certain colors that I'm okay with, for example Selenite Gray or Obsidian Black that I think looks very nice with the chrome, but it has to have the 21" double 5-spoke wheel since it has the flared fenders. So there's that. I would be content with the engine choice, AND the color, AND my wallet.
Completely agree, although the color choice is what the buyer prefers. Personally, silver, grey or blue would do it for me, but the 21" twin 5 spoke stagger is a MUST. I've a 450 with AMG package and wanted those wheels. Unfortunately they are not available with the AMG package or for MY 2023 for that matter.

Last edited by djgiovanni; 08-30-2022 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-30-2022 | 10:45 PM

Porsche Macan, SL400, ML350, GLE350
Originally Posted by Bryce1023
I do read and often listen to the advice of some knowledgeable contributors to this site. This is however more of an opinion question rather than a question that has a definitive correct answer.
Do you feel that it is foolish to purchase a new GLE 350 with the AMG package, which I believe is a $2900.00 option, or rather take that $2900.00 and put it toward a GLE 450? I know that the simple response is get the 450 with the AMG package. My honest answer is that I honestly don’t want to spend that much money. So for the sake of this comparison it would be one or the other. I currently have a 350 4matic and have not found it to be underpowered for MY needs. I do realize that many readers of this thread would never consider buying a 350. It seems that I really like the look of the AMG grill, and the other additions that come with the package. Would owning a 450 make me feel the hell with the grill, this was the way to go. I would like to know which configuration would have a better resale value, if there is any accurate data available. I kind of believe that the overwhelming majority of readers are going to say that the 450 is the way to go. Thanks for your indulgence.
I was on the same boat a few weeks ago too.
I ended up ordering a GLE350 because the dealer told me that GLE450 has a minimum 8 month wait on it, they won't even let me put down a deposit on it.
Ask around first, and the time factor may help you make this decision as well!
Old 08-31-2022 | 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by MikeSL
I was on the same boat a few weeks ago too.
I ended up ordering a GLE350 because the dealer told me that GLE450 has a minimum 8 month wait on it, they won't even let me put down a deposit on it.
Ask around first, and the time factor may help you make this decision as well!
This is weird because they are trying to tell me that I could speed up my order if I went to a 450. Maybe it depends on market, options and if all the allocation is spoken for? I already missed out on a 450 off the lot, so I'm content to wait however long it takes to get what I want. I have a feeling there is a lot of game playing behind the scenes among dealers, Mercedes and the regional offices, at least in Canada.
The following users liked this post:
MikeSL (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022 | 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
High rates, Stock Market woes, and a possible recession could reduce demand soon, IMO.
Old 08-31-2022 | 11:15 AM

GLE350
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
This is weird because they are trying to tell me that I could speed up my order if I went to a 450. Maybe it depends on market, options and if all the allocation is spoken for? I already missed out on a 450 off the lot, so I'm content to wait however long it takes to get what I want. I have a feeling there is a lot of game playing behind the scenes among dealers, Mercedes and the regional offices, at least in Canada.
It has everything to do with dealer allocation. If their 350 allocation is committed and they have a 450 allocation available, it could 100% arrive sooner.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022 | 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Ron.s
High rates, Stock Market woes, and a possible recession could reduce demand soon, IMO.
That's very possible.
Or another version of a declining economy could result in manufacturers only producing the high margin vehicles.
We seem to be having a k-shaped recovery from covid lows, where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
​​​Which would mean more 450s and fewer 350s are built.

We have been seeing luxury brands gain in market share (ex supply chain disruptions), and the Bed Bath & Beyonds losing.

The next couple of years will be pretty unpredictable. I'll pull out my Ouija board and give an update later this week. 🤔 Now I have to figure out what questions to ask it.
Old 08-31-2022 | 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by mynewgle
It has everything to do with dealer allocation. If their 350 allocation is committed and they have a 450 allocation available, it could 100% arrive sooner.
This is the correct answer to this particular situation. The allocation game. Good call.
Old 08-31-2022 | 06:53 PM

2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
I drove the GLE 350 before I ordered the GLE 450 4Matic. I found the 350 adequate and just as quiet as the 450 I now own. So go with your instinct if you feel that the 350 is the right vehicle for. your needs. The AMG package is a very nice appearance trim to have if the $2,900 is not a financial burden to you. Good luck with your choice.
Old 09-01-2022 | 05:21 AM

GLE
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Splitting hairs here but-
As I recall something I read recently, Mercedes is adding the ISG to a 4 cylinder engine in a different model for 2023.
I don't know when they plan to add the ISG to the 4 cylinder, but if you can wait it might be worth it. The ISG is already available on the 4 cylinder diesel in Europe. I test drove the version without it and with the ISG. Im the diesel, the ISG helps a lot with acceleration, especially when starting from a full stop. There is no turbo lag whatsoever.
Old 09-02-2022 | 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by mykel79
I don't know when they plan to add the ISG to the 4 cylinder, but if you can wait it might be worth it. The ISG is already available on the 4 cylinder diesel in Europe. I test drove the version without it and with the ISG. Im the diesel, the ISG helps a lot with acceleration, especially when starting from a full stop. There is no turbo lag whatsoever.
They were saying this for years. The early press releases for the M264 from a few years ago say it will be all 48v. I know there are M264s with the 48v in some markets like China, but it seems less important for them in North America for whatever reason. Unless it's a plug-in hybrid, I don't see any advantage for my use in a mild or self charging hybrid. Not that I want to play Tesla and drive around on full electric, just want to be able to top up the tank, so to speak at the cabin or at home and visit the gas station less. Otherwise, I don't see the point of driving around a bunch of heavy batteries and complication to save like 1 mpg.
Old 09-02-2022 | 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
I don’t like the 48-Volt mild-hybrid either. Electric faults have become the number one service issue across all brands.

However, the intent of these systems is not to directly save fuel, but to allow other mechanisms to reduce overall fuel consumption. The 48-Volt mild-hybrid system is meant to primarily support the engine start/stop feature, which does provide a decent fuel savings over the life of ownership assuming you leave it on and do a lot of stop and go driving. It supports the constant ignition requirements (which can overwhelm a standard car battery) while also allowing things like AC and other accessories to run even after the ignition is off; there is no accessory belt, it’s all electric now. It does provide a secondary benefit of using excess electric motor capacity to boost HP/torque values, but that is not the primary intent.

That’s why everyone is using these or starting to.
Old 09-02-2022 | 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Frenetic
I don’t like the 48-Volt mild-hybrid either. Electric faults have become the number one service issue across all brands.

However, the intent of these systems is not to directly save fuel, but to allow other mechanisms to reduce overall fuel consumption. The 48-Volt mild-hybrid system is meant to primarily support the engine start/stop feature, which does provide a decent fuel savings over the life of ownership assuming you leave it on and do a lot of stop and go driving. It supports the constant ignition requirements (which can overwhelm a standard car battery) while also allowing things like AC and other accessories to run even after the ignition is off; there is no accessory belt, it’s all electric now. It does provide a secondary benefit of using excess electric motor capacity to boost HP/torque values, but that is not the primary intent.

Well, as I said, "in my use". I don't really do much driving in town, my miles are mainly on 2 lane mountain highway, and I turn off auto start/stop as a habit anyway. Maybe I'm just old fashioned? Get off my lawn, electric hippies!
Old 09-02-2022 | 12:46 PM

GLE
I don't care about start/stop either and ususually turn it off. But in a weaker engine with turbos the ISG noticeably reduces turbo lag when you want to step on the gas.
Old 09-02-2022 | 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Frenetic

You are correct about all the associated benefits of 48-year-old system, such as running the air conditioning with the engine off, and almost in perceptible start stops.

But the primary benefit of the hybrid part, is to increase throttle response.

With the 450, it adds power while the turbo spools up, it takes a big chunk out of turbo lag.

With the GLE 53, the 48 volt system ads power for that half second while the 48 volt supercharger spools up, which together address that almost 2 second lag that a non-EQboost, non-supercharged, plain turbocharged engine has.
Oh, and the optional active suspension. Winner winner.

Your comment are about electric faults may be true, but very few of them are attributed to 48v systems. Most of those cars electric faults don't even have 48 volt systems.
Old 09-02-2022 | 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Throttle response is not high on any engineer’s list of priorities in my opinion.