GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

350 vs 450 GLE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2022 | 07:41 AM

2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
350 vs 450 GLE

I do read and often listen to the advice of some knowledgeable contributors to this site. This is however more of an opinion question rather than a question that has a definitive correct answer.
Do you feel that it is foolish to purchase a new GLE 350 with the AMG package, which I believe is a $2900.00 option, or rather take that $2900.00 and put it toward a GLE 450? I know that the simple response is get the 450 with the AMG package. My honest answer is that I honestly don’t want to spend that much money. So for the sake of this comparison it would be one or the other. I currently have a 350 4matic and have not found it to be underpowered for MY needs. I do realize that many readers of this thread would never consider buying a 350. It seems that I really like the look of the AMG grill, and the other additions that come with the package. Would owning a 450 make me feel the hell with the grill, this was the way to go. I would like to know which configuration would have a better resale value, if there is any accurate data available. I kind of believe that the overwhelming majority of readers are going to say that the 450 is the way to go. Thanks for your indulgence.
Old 08-28-2022 | 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by Bryce1023
I do read and often listen to the advice of some knowledgeable contributors to this site. This is however more of an opinion question rather than a question that has a definitive correct answer.
Do you feel that it is foolish to purchase a new GLE 350 with the AMG package, which I believe is a $2900.00 option, or rather take that $2900.00 and put it toward a GLE 450? I know that the simple response is get the 450 with the AMG package. My honest answer is that I honestly don’t want to spend that much money. So for the sake of this comparison it would be one or the other. I currently have a 350 4matic and have not found it to be underpowered for MY needs. I do realize that many readers of this thread would never consider buying a 350. It seems that I really like the look of the AMG grill, and the other additions that come with the package. Would owning a 450 make me feel the hell with the grill, this was the way to go. I would like to know which configuration would have a better resale value, if there is any accurate data available. I kind of believe that the overwhelming majority of readers are going to say that the 450 is the way to go. Thanks for your indulgence.
People that prefer the 450 do so because of the power. If you don't need the power and want the AMG package without spending the extra money on the 450 then you essentially answered your own question. Both models are appealing for different reasons to others in their own right. To me resale is a toss up. No need to even think about it.
The following 5 users liked this post by benzbell:
audi40 (09-04-2022), BenjaminKohl (08-29-2022), js_cls (08-28-2022), Sandye (10-14-2022), TexAg91 (08-29-2022)
Old 08-28-2022 | 09:49 AM
Veteran: Marine Corp

2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by benzbell
People that prefer the 450 do so because of the power. If you don't need the power and want the AMG package without spending the extra money on the 450 then you essentially answered your own question. Both models are appealing for different reasons to others in their own right. To me resale is a toss up. No need to even think about it.
Exactly. If you don't need the power, don't spend the extra money.
The following 2 users liked this post by MBguy013:
haibieb (08-31-2022), Sandye (10-14-2022)
Old 08-28-2022 | 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
If you like the 350 engine go with that one. My advice would be don’t drive the 450 as once you do, you will want that. I think the GLE looks best with AMG-Line, I would not purchase one without it and think it is worth its money. Same for the X5, would not purchase without M-Sport.
The following 2 users liked this post by js_cls:
haibieb (08-31-2022), Sandye (10-14-2022)
Old 08-28-2022 | 12:05 PM

2022 GLE450
I've had both, and the start/stop on the 350 was almost jarring, where the start/stop on the 450 is barely noticeable. If that doesn't bother you, the 350 was nice and peppy enough.
The following 3 users liked this post by jwb70:
Brocktoon (08-29-2022), EXTRAOLD (08-28-2022), Sieveboy (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022 | 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
This is an unpopular opinion but I really dislike SUV's. But we have them for errands and moving larger items and for that the GLE had the most space compared to other brands we considered. That said, I feel that the AMG package really improves the look of the GLE and is a worthwhile addition.
If I were into SUV's we would get an AMG model or a 450 with AMG package. We have a 350 without the AMG package because there were none to be had when we needed to buy the car in early 2020. Not getting the AMG package is my only regret every time I look at the car...

As for 350 and 450; the 6 cylinder is much more refined but both feel slow to me. I'd pick a 350 with AMG package over a 450 without.

Last edited by Wolfman; 08-28-2022 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2022 | 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I agree, go with the 350 in your situation…and you don’t get the AMG grill with the AMG package. Resale should be a little better with a more attractive car and the perception that a 4 cylinder gets better mileage.
Old 08-28-2022 | 02:50 PM

'21 E63S4S in glorious Brilliant Blue Magno
I have driven a 350, 450, and 580. I chose a 350 for the handling. The lighter engine makes for a more "spry" driving experience. I feel like you can chuck it around easier. I agree with the power assessment as well. The difference in power does not seem as great when driving as it does on paper.

The 450 is smoother, but I felt it had more body roll. It "wallows" back and forth over bumps. You can feel the weight of the engine. The air suspension can somewhat compensate for the wallowing. The 580 has similar issues, but its power and weight differences somewhat makes up for that. The 580 feels like overkill.

I ordered a 2023 350 with AMG pack. It should arrive in a few months. I do not think it is foolish at all.

The following 2 users liked this post by Quackledork:
Lucky 777 (08-29-2022), mikapen (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022 | 04:50 PM

GLE350
I am struggling with a similar decision. Coming out of an X5 and would prefer the 450's power as it's similar to the X5. I don't really mind spending the extra as I'll recoup some of that cost when I trade in a few years.

My biggest concerns are the 48V complaints and more so the clunky transmission downshifts associated with the EQ Boost hybrid implementation.

I'm not in a position where I can wait 3-4 months for a 450 build, only for it to have a transmission issue at delivery.

I don't really know how widespread the transmission issues are, but it definitely has me leaning toward ordering a 350.
Old 08-28-2022 | 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mynewgle
I am struggling with a similar decision. Coming out of an X5 and would prefer the 450's power as it's similar to the X5. I don't really mind spending the extra as I'll recoup some of that cost when I trade in a few years.

My biggest concerns are the 48V complaints and more so the clunky transmission downshifts associated with the EQ Boost hybrid implementation.

I'm not in a position where I can wait 3-4 months for a 450 build, only for it to have a transmission issue at delivery.

I don't really know how widespread the transmission issues are, but it definitely has me leaning toward ordering a 350.
The EQ Boost seems to smooth the car…nothing to do with the transmission as far as I know. There are a lot of us that don’t have clunky shifting, my two were fine. It’s hard to tell if it’s a huge number with issues. There are similar complaints on other Forums.
The following users liked this post:
TempeAndy (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022 | 10:47 PM

2021 GLE 350, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2023 Polestar 2, '73 Alfa GTV
We have a 350 with the full AMG kit including the black trim and 21” wheels. We bought it because it was available with the options we wanted, and couldn’t get even with a custom order, and it’s fine. The engine does work a bit harder than I think is ideal but the 9-speed transmission does a good job of masking that. I have the start/stop off all the time so no comment on how that works in action.
Old 08-29-2022 | 08:34 AM

GLE350
Originally Posted by Ron.s
The EQ Boost seems to smooth the car…nothing to do with the transmission as far as I know. There are a lot of us that don’t have clunky shifting, my two were fine. It’s hard to tell if it’s a huge number with issues. There are similar complaints on other Forums.
They all share the same transmission correct? Seems odd that only the 450 and AMG models suffer with the downshift issues.
Old 08-29-2022 | 08:34 AM

GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
I was in a similar situation, but decided to order non-AMG 350. The AMG package is only $1500 CAD in Canada and virtually every car has it. My property features some steep approach angles and the City isn't very good about plowing snow, so it forms into rutted ice chunks that have cost me air dams in the past, so the shape of the non-AMG suits me better, plus, I'll be one of the few without it. I think the black fender flairs look kinda badass, not cheap, tbh.

I tried to buy a 450 that was on the lot (it was AMG) after I put in my 350 order because I'm beginning to worry about when it will get built, but I missed out on it. I'm kind of agnostic on the whole 350/450 issue, they are both good cars just need to be driven a bit differently with different expectations. A 450 with all the options I want is getting dangerously close to the new $100,000 luxury car tax they just introduced here as a 2022, so it would probably be over as a 2023. I'm not paying an extra 10k to move up to a 450 and attract another 10% tax on top of that, so my decision was kinda made for me. I don't think I'll miss the 450, I do need to do some aggressive passing on my regular drive due to mixed traffic on two lane roads, but both my diesel and chevy are capable, and they are slower than the 350. I wouldn't worry about what others will or would buy. It's your money, your car, there will always be someone with a faster one.
mikapen (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022 | 08:49 AM

2023 GLE 450 4matic
I have the 350 and have driven a 450, no regrets at all in buying the 350. In ECO mode, the transmission starts in 2nd gear and this really smooths out the auto start-stop.
Old 08-29-2022 | 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They all share the same transmission correct? Seems odd that only the 450 and AMG models suffer with the downshift issues.
Are you making that assumption based on a few recent posts? You can go on any forum and find a few posting about the same thing. One or two members reported that a sensor caused the issue. If it’s severe and consistent it’s not normal. If it can be replicated by the Dealer then it could get diagnosed and fixed. My wife’s Audi ZF based transmission occasionally shifts down hard using the Paddle shifter to skip several gears quickly. On rare occasions it might shift a little harder than normal. The transmission is complicated and adding 9 gears makes it even more so. I put a total of well over 40k on a GLE 450 and my current GLE 53 with not a single hiccup and I use the paddle shifters a lot.
Old 08-29-2022 | 10:01 AM

GLE350
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Are you making that assumption based on a few recent posts? You can go on any forum and find a few posting about the same thing. One or two members reported that a sensor caused the issue. If it’s severe and consistent it’s not normal. If it can be replicated by the Dealer then it could get diagnosed and fixed. My wife’s Audi ZF based transmission occasionally shifts down hard using the Paddle shifter to skip several gears quickly. On rare occasions it might shift a little harder than normal. The transmission is complicated and adding 9 gears makes it even more so. I put a total of well over 40k on a GLE 450 and my current GLE 53 with not a single hiccup and I use the paddle shifters a lot.
Stuff like this is concerning to me. 75% seems unusually high. I understand the limitations of car forum small sample sizes, but am also a believer of where there is smoke, there is fire.

That 3<2 downshift "clunk" would drive me crazy if I ended up with that. I will probably just order a 350 and forget about it.

Ron.s (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022 | 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stuff like this is concerning to me. 75% seems unusually high. I understand the limitations of car forum small sample sizes, but am also a believer of where there is smoke, there is fire.

That 3<2 downshift "clunk" would drive me crazy if I ended up with that. I will probably just order a 350 and forget about it.

Good point but….
You might visit with a Mercedes Tech about the subject. Your SA should be willing to facilitate that discussion. I’m no expert but from what I know the 350 should be equally subject to any transmission shifting issues. The ISG charges slightly while coasting but that shouldn’t affect shifting any differently than the non ISG transmission that also has a compression drag when coasting. The ISG is simply a generator that also charges and seems very smooth under power or coasting, braking. When you brake it charges at max but you don’t feel any change.

The small sample doesn’t meet any statistical sample size to be accurate. All you know is that 16 out of maybe a million 2020+MY GLE’s reported an issue. How many without a problem didn’t open the thread and didn’t vote? The heading alone is going to bias the sample.
BenjaminKohl (08-30-2022)
Old 08-29-2022 | 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan

Particularly for people coming from BMWs ZF application, the Mercedes 9-speed is so silky smooth and the shifts so imperceptible, that actually feeling a downshift is unusual.
When you get to Sport and Sport+, downshifts have rev matching, so they're basically quite smooth also.

Unless you really get on it - then the transmission comes alive. And since you've given instructions to your transmission that you want some responsive performance, behaves that way for a while afterwards.
If you dawdle, it's smooth and imperceptible. Get aggressive, and the transmission is smart enough to know it. My complaint is it takes a longer period of dawdling to return to silky mode.

I didn't feel any clunk or harsh downshifts with my former 450, or the 350 loaner that I had for 1200 miles or so. Zero.
My AMG Speed Shift 9 speed has more noticeable down shifts, in comfort mode, coming to a stop. I hardly say it's harsh.
Where is that poll?
Old 08-29-2022 | 12:16 PM

GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
I currently have a 350 4matic and have not found it to be underpowered for MY needs. I do realize that many readers of this thread would never consider buying a 350. It seems that I really like the look of the AMG grill, and the other additions that come with the package. Would owning a 450 make me feel the hell with the grill, this was the way to go. I would like to know which configuration would have a better resale value, if there is any accurate data available. I kind of believe that the overwhelming majority of readers are going to say that the 450 is the way to go. Thanks for your indulgence.
The power of hindsight is always very strong, so "If I would do it all over again, then <fill in here>"

I also found the 350 is adequate enough even for spirited driving and it has no problem passing, provided that you plan enough and not do stupid passes. Maybe it's because I'm in the PNW and everyone drives below the speed limit and glued to the phone, I don't know. But driving like a normal person, I never went back and said "should've gotten that 450". However when caught off guard in a merging lane while in "Eco" mode and a 2016 Highlander gunned you down, that's where I thought "dammit I should've gotten the 63S". But 95% of my drive in the GLE, I'm always calm and composed since it's a pretty smooth ride and I do enjoy that especially with the assisted driving features.

If were to put on your hat and consider a 450 standard non-AMG package, there are certain colors that I'm okay with, for example Selenite Gray or Obsidian Black that I think looks very nice with the chrome, but it has to have the 21" double 5-spoke wheel since it has the flared fenders. So there's that. I would be content with the engine choice, AND the color, AND my wallet.
Old 08-29-2022 | 12:18 PM

gle 350
350 makes a simple engine which is proven and reliable. Electric assist is nice, but comes with questions: how relievable is it? Who can service it? Who is going to replace/warranty that expansive battery? We were looking for a bulletproof family car/grocery getter for my wife, and 350 is the answer for us. Engine has more then enough power to claims any hill fully loaded with no issue, does feel light and peppy around town, and has a great balanced suspension (19 inch , 21s are way too big/heavy and bolcky for a comfort). If you love speed and power then 580. For practicality of it 350. As far as your choice of grill, buy custom grill and replace it, few clips and a beer and you got yourself amg package grill.
Lanzz (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022 | 12:23 PM

GLE350
Originally Posted by mikapen
Particularly for people coming from BMWs ZF application, the Mercedes 9-speed is so silky smooth and the shifts so imperceptible, that actually feeling a downshift is unusual.
When you get to Sport and Sport+, downshifts have rev matching, so they're basically quite smooth also.

Unless you really get on it - then the transmission comes alive. And since you've given instructions to your transmission that you want some responsive performance, behaves that way for a while afterwards.
If you dawdle, it's smooth and imperceptible. Get aggressive, and the transmission is smart enough to know it. My complaint is it takes a longer period of dawdling to return to silky mode.

I didn't feel any clunk or harsh downshifts with my former 450, or the 350 loaner that I had for 1200 miles or so. Zero.
My AMG Speed Shift 9 speed has more noticeable down shifts, in comfort mode, coming to a stop. I hardly say it's harsh.
Where is that poll?
Poll here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...gle-450-a.html

Also, check out this video and see if this 3<2 "clunk" is what you've experienced:

Old 08-29-2022 | 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Poll here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...gle-450-a.html

Also, check out this video and see if this 3<2 "clunk" is what you've experienced:

https://youtu.be/RWUxPu0uQEk?t=543
Thanks for the poll. Looks like we've got a month until the non-scientific thingy ends.
Hilarious video that most commentors said was nothing but narcissism. Notice they couldn't duplicate the hard shift but did like showing pictures of themselves.

No I haven't experienced a 3-2 clunk. I've only experienced that the transmission learns my intent when I need to get going.
Old 08-29-2022 | 12:46 PM

GLE350
Originally Posted by mikapen
Thanks for the poll. Looks like we've got a month until the non-scientific thingy ends.
Hilarious video that most commentors said was nothing but narcissism. Notice they couldn't duplicate the hard shift but did like showing pictures of themselves.

No I haven't experienced a 3-2 clunk. I've only experienced that the transmission learns my intent when I need to get going.
Youtubers...lol

If you turn up the volume, I can clearly hear that "clunk" they are referring to at 9:12
Old 08-29-2022 | 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youtubers...lol

If you turn up the volume, I can clearly hear that "clunk" they are referring to at 9:12
Almost. Maybe. Maybe not. They tried hard. Nice house. Very Pretty Couple.
Old 08-29-2022 | 04:16 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Redundant with the post below...apologies...once is enough.

Last edited by TexAg91; 08-29-2022 at 08:49 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 350 vs 450 GLE