EQE AMG SUV

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 439 Posts
2023 S500
EQE AMG SUV

I saw an EQS sedan in the wild so to speak and it did look better in person. I think this will probably look better in person, too.

Last edited by Frenetic; 10-16-2022 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2022, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Not a fan and not sold yet. Everything is too new and not proven yet in my eyes. I'm thrilled with my 2022 GLE 63S. AMG got it's start with engines. They are capitalizing on the moniker of the brand to push out electric to the masses. I also feel there is too much built in obsolescence as fast as things are changing with electric/batteries. Too many gimmicks also - just my opinion.
Old 10-16-2022, 11:31 PM

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Subaru BRZ
Originally Posted by benzbell
Not a fan and not sold yet. Everything is too new and not proven yet in my eyes. I'm thrilled with my 2022 GLE 63S. AMG got it's start with engines. They are capitalizing on the moniker of the brand to push out electric to the masses. I also feel there is too much built in obsolescence as fast as things are changing with electric/batteries. Too many gimmicks also - just my opinion.
Agreed.. they're just using the AMG name to push EVs at this point.

After all of MB's issues with the 48V system, I wouldn't want to be an early adopter of these fully electric cars.

And finally, does anyone else find these all just horribly ugly?
Old 10-16-2022, 11:43 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
2024 X5 M60i, 2018 C63S Coupe (sold)
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR
And finally, does anyone else find these all just horribly ugly?
I think the SUVs look alright. I'm not a fan of the sedans. But the problem is I don't think either actually resemble Mercedes vehicles. We all know the design is driven by the need for a low Cd to maximize range, but it seems like they took it a bit too far. I don't see an EQS in my future.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:31 AM

Subaru BRZ
Originally Posted by GordonGEICO
I think the SUVs look alright. I'm not a fan of the sedans. But the problem is I don't think either actually resemble Mercedes vehicles. We all know the design is driven by the need for a low Cd to maximize range, but it seems like they took it a bit too far. I don't see an EQS in my future.
The EQS SUV looks alright, I'm not a fan of the EQB (too boxy and reminds me of the Kia Soul).

I think the faux panamericana grill on the EQE "AMG" is the worst part. It reminds me of those little electric cars that toddlers can drive around in.

Other companies (Polestar in particular, IMO) make much better looking EVs..
Old 10-17-2022, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Yep. Useless gimmicks like the third screen that you can upload a photo to, the ridiculous IWC digital clock and the Jetsons type engine sounds you can choose in different drive modes. But on the bright side you can have all the greasy fingerprints you could ever want.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,598 Likes on 1,176 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by benzbell
I agree with most of what you said, except "push out electric to the masses." Politicians have demanded that those EVS are pushed out, or lose the biggest markets.

Looking at the hybrid variants, AMG is still making waves with its engines. 2 Liter engine with 470 horsepower?

And look at their axial flux motors and incredible energy density in their batteries, had another step forward in battery management systems.

So they are building their reputation with motors and batteries, along with their engines.

I'm okay with this. I haven't seen one in person so I'll reserve judgment.
Old 10-17-2022, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I’ve never thought I’d own an EV and most are ugly but oh my I saw a Lucid Air this weekend!
Old 10-17-2022, 04:22 PM

Subaru BRZ
Originally Posted by mikapen
I agree with most of what you said, except "push out electric to the masses." Politicians have demanded that those EVS are pushed out, or lose the biggest markets.

Looking at the hybrid variants, AMG is still making waves with its engines. 2 Liter engine with 470 horsepower?

And look at their axial flux motors and incredible energy density in their batteries, had another step forward in battery management systems.

So they are building their reputation with motors and batteries, along with their engines.

I'm okay with this. I haven't seen one in person so I'll reserve judgment.
For the AMG E-Performance hybrid models (like the 2L 4cyl you mentioned), I agree. I'm not a huge fan, but its still deserving of the AMG name.

For this EQE though... the AMG trim just adds another 50HP, some ride tuning, and some AMG aesthetics. It feels more like just a normal MB with the "AMG Package" than an actual AMG specific trim.
But maybe that is exactly what this is...? Kinda hard to tell from the press releases since they aren't calling it a "EQE 63" or something.

Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
I’ve never thought I’d own an EV and most are ugly but oh my I saw a Lucid Air this weekend!
Some EVs out there definitely look good. The one Lucid I saw in the wild had too much chrome and general shiny bits for my own taste, but I still liked it more than other EVs I've seen in person.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
@PandaSPUR they now have a “stealth” option though!
Old 10-17-2022, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 439 Posts
2023 S500
That is interesting they only show a 53 AMG EQE, even though that thing has over 600 HP. I wonder if they’re reserving the 63 for a 1000+ HP version that can rival Tesla’s Plaid line?

I actually like the hyper screen and would option that, but I also like physical buttons for climate control and other common functions. That’s one thing I do like about MB’s interior: its like being in a spaceship, and the hyper screen certainly takes that to another level.

It would be a tough decision for me to make if the AMG EQE and EQS 580 are closely priced. I saw the EQS on the road and it looked pretty good and I like the fact that it’s a hatchback versus the EQE sedan. I’ll have to check out the EQE AMG in person.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:51 PM

Subaru BRZ
Originally Posted by Frenetic
That is interesting they only show a 53 AMG EQE, even though that thing has over 600 HP. I wonder if they’re reserving the 63 for a 1000+ HP version that can rival Tesla’s Plaid line?

I actually like the hyper screen and would option that, but I also like physical buttons for climate control and other common functions. That’s one thing I do like about MB’s interior: its like being in a spaceship, and the hyper screen certainly takes that to another level.

It would be a tough decision for me to make if the AMG EQE and EQS 580 are closely priced. I saw the EQS on the road and it looked pretty good and I like the fact that it’s a hatchback versus the EQE sedan. I’ll have to check out the EQE AMG in person.
63 probably being reserved for when they can teach one AMG technician to assembly one electric motor themselves lol
Old 10-17-2022, 09:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,465 Likes on 2,098 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Frenetic

There is also an EQE SUV 43 for those that want less power, but I am not sure if that one is coming to the North American market.
Old 10-21-2022, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To me this car is garbage. Excellent non-bias video. These guys are pretty good. Buyer beware.

Old 10-22-2022, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,598 Likes on 1,176 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I was in for service last week, and got to sit in and look around an EQS on the floor.

My first impression was that the interior and those maxi-screens were very well integrated. I had expected another "In Your Face" renditions like so many manufacturers' "Look I've got a Big Screen" marketing efforts.
It looked subtle and, surprisingly, easy to use.
As with any touch screen input, I'd want a Head Up display.

The entire cockpit was impressive, looked and felt upscale.

It will take some effort to get all the settings to one's liking, which is a problem with every modern car on the market today,
But it's a lot easier than setting up a phone, IMO.

I haven't liked the Subscription Model ever since Adobe made my Photoshop program obsolete in 2014. It's not a new idea.
I don't know what the total annual subscription costs would be if I selected all the options, but I'll bet it's less than an annual subscription to Netflix, or my phone privileges, which cost north of $2500/year (with Veteran's discount).
Right now, I'm deciding whether to spend $30 or $55 / year for continuing service on the 2019. I wish it were free, but I understand there are costs associated with providing those services. Many will call it "greed," which is the catchword for things that cost money, like auto registration. Investors (the actual owners of the Company) like subscription models, so expect it to grow in every facet of life.

Instead of complaining that I have to pay for options, my reaction is that it's pretty amazing that I can buy a car with some features that I may choose to activate in the future. Or not. My choice.

Getting back to the EQS- I was impressed, and I could see myself in one.
I wonder how it feels to drive. Guess I'll drive one when I pick up my car from service.

Last edited by mikapen; 10-22-2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-22-2022, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not saying I may not consider one down the road. With that said the earliest for me would be the second generation. This is the first generation of an all new car/platform. Sure there might be an initial "coolness" factor but make no mistake first adopters are the guinea pigs. Too many variables and unanswered questions at this point in time to me. I'll see how it progresses.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:19 AM

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
NCC-1701
I'm just totally disappointed with the design. It's way too jellybean-like - I know they were working on the drag coefficient but for an AMG packaged vehicle it's laughable. It's a blob.
The moment in the carwow review where they were talking about how the regular version has 2 lines and AMG has 3 lines where the exhaust would be and that's the differentiator come on.
I would still like to see it in person and drive it around but at the moment it's not #1 on my list. I remember when I saw the new design on the GLE a few years back I was immediately in love, from pictures alone.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB is being mandated and doing the best they can. You will build electric cars and be happy.