GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Interior Rattle Survey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 412 Posts
2023 S500
The latest one for me is my steering column and it’s annoying as hell. This one isn’t temperature dependent and will loudly creak over any bumps and body flexes. I freaking hate it. I can reproduce it by simply pressing on the top plastic piece behind the steering wheel.

My MBUX screen isn’t creaking as much since it got colder but it’s still there and I know how bad it is when the weather is warm. My headliner raffle kind of went away as well so I think that one is also temperature dependent. All of these noises makes this car feel like a cheap, cheap POS. It’s embarrassing having anyone in it. MBUSA quality is a complete and utter joke.
Old 01-01-2023, 10:33 AM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
Originally Posted by SeattleToby
2021 GLE63, I do have a few rattles I’m battling. I think one is the panoramic roof which I’m going to check today to see if all the bolts are tight. I had a squeak around the HUD display trim and I have something around the rear passenger side that I’m trying to find.
I had a similar rattle near the HUD for awhile. The dealer replaced the upper trim piece on our 2022 GLE450 SUV which allowed for greater surface clearance than the original piece. I also had to instal a rubber insulation piece right in the back of the well of the display area to eliminate another annoying rattle. Good luck with your issues.
Old 01-01-2023, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,550 Likes on 1,138 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Frenetic
The latest one for me is my steering column and it’s annoying as hell. This one isn’t temperature dependent and will loudly creak over any bumps and body flexes. I freaking hate it. I can reproduce it by simply pressing on the top plastic piece behind the steering wheel.

My MBUX screen isn’t creaking as much since it got colder but it’s still there and I know how bad it is when the weather is warm. My headliner raffle kind of went away as well so I think that one is also temperature dependent. All of these noises makes this car feel like a cheap, cheap POS. It’s embarrassing having anyone in it. MBUSA quality is a complete and utter joke.
What did your Dealer say when you took it in? Surely your symptoms are easy to duplicate if they're as bad as you say.
Could you show us a copy of your Repair Order? (Not somebody else's for another model, which hasn't been very illustrative when you've done it in the past.)

Every V167 I've driven so far (several) has been uncannily silent. The chassis stiffness is impressive, especially compared to competitors that I've compared - Range Rover, Q7, Cayenne (from most to least flexible and squeaky). Throw in a couple of awful, squeaking rental cars - Nissan Armada, VW Atlas, And my former W166 & 164, which flexed a lot.

I hate noises, and I don't have any. A tribute to the designers and engineers, IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikapen:
Ron.s (01-01-2023), TempeAndy (01-02-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 02:25 PM

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
I'm beginning to think that some here may be related to this guy:

Old 01-01-2023, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,022 Likes on 694 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Or this guy….

Old 01-02-2023, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Sorry OP for changing the discussion a little but, what is it about this car in that every time I return to this thread there are more problems. Now I’ve had my share and still do, but wow this section gets blasted.
Old 01-02-2023, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Sorry OP for changing the discussion a little but, what is it about this car in that every time I return to this thread there are more problems. Now I’ve had my share and still do, but wow this section gets blasted.
Many of us wonder if he has any problems at all.
He's refused requests to show his Repair Orders, and he has told us that his family of lawyers wants to start a class action suit, and they want him to gather data.
​​​​​​At this point all we can say is "alleged" problems.

You're right, though, his problem has grown with every retelling. Must be hard.

Last edited by mikapen; 01-02-2023 at 04:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TonyF61 (01-02-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 12:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE W167
Update after a 2000 mile road trip down to Southeast US over the year end break. Just to be clear - no snow, moderate rain and nice paved roads all through.
- I have the 25 speaker Burmester and my son and I love it to death. Unfortunately the roof speakers have developed a buzzing sound at certain frequencies - they are mid-to-high-range from what I can hear and we have identified the songs that cause the rattle. This is a newly developed noise and was not there before the road trip. And we never go above 80% of max volume. I have taken a service appointment next Monday and will update on what I hear.

It surely is not a driver/membrane damage since most songs/tunes/frequencies sound alright. Seems more like some speaker mounting/fastening is resonating at its natural resonance frequency. If this is indeed the case, I will be very happy as it is easily fixable.
Old 01-03-2023, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yikes! 80% on the 3D Burmester would probably be around 110 dB. I'm surprised a speaker blew before your eardrums!
The rest of the sound spectrum is probably affected also.
Something to fix.
Old 01-03-2023, 01:14 PM

GLE W167
Originally Posted by mikapen
Yikes! 80% on the 3D Burmester would probably be around 110 dB. I'm surprised a speaker blew before your eardrums!
The rest of the sound spectrum is probably affected also.
Something to fix.
I was approximating this to 80% and was hopelessly off. We listen at a level where volume ticker shows it is up to the letter o in volume in the text below. Just checked when I went to pick up my son. This is approximately 50% of the max volume, and surely pushing our ear drums to the limit.

"Entertainment Volume"

BTW my test song is Ennio Morricone's Good-Bad-Ugly theme (on lossless Apple music stream) or Greenback bogie 'Suits' version on Apple music.

Something to fix indeed. Rattles and bad speakers drive me nuts.

Last edited by CarLover73; 01-03-2023 at 05:01 PM.
mikapen (01-03-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Another rattle started. Now I have two rattles in the hatch area. This one sounds very similar to the one that I had leaving the dealer lot right after I purchased it. I’m not sure if it’s back or just very nearby. This freaking piece of crap has so many rattles I just have to laugh at how poorly made this thing is.

1. MBUX Screen rattle/creak with body flexes.
2. Steering column creak with bumps and body flexes.
3. Headliner rattle when the sun visor is clipped in.
4. Rear hatch rattle that sounds like it’s coming from the latch area.
5. Rear rattle that sounds like it’s coming from behind the rear passenger seat area.

FU POS.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:10 PM

GLE W167
Took it to the dealer. The Svc Mgr came down and listened with me and Svc advisor for almost 15 minutes and took this seriously - I really liked the approach! Later, I was told "there is a problem with the dashboard speaker that has something loose and that is the reason why it is not sending sound to roofliner speakers'. I think this is Svc advisor speak for 'Head unit connector needs replacement or the amp is faulty'. As of now, waiting for the part to come. No assurances on when it may come.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:51 AM

GLE W167
Originally Posted by CarLover73
I was approximating this to 80% and was hopelessly off. We listen at a level where volume ticker shows it is up to the letter o in volume in the text below. Just checked when I went to pick up my son. This is approximately 50% of the max volume, and surely pushing our ear drums to the limit.

"Entertainment Volume"

BTW my test song is Ennio Morricone's Good-Bad-Ugly theme (on lossless Apple music stream) or Greenback bogie 'Suits' version on Apple music.

Something to fix indeed. Rattles and bad speakers drive me nuts.
Update on this:
- In Jan, the Svc center said they will order the parts but said the head unit has to be replaced. I was scratching my head as to why but was told the 'technician' said it needed to be done and that the part was back ordered and 'will come when it comes'.
- Fast fwd to end of May - took it to svc'ing and asked them about this issue as well. And when I got the car back, they said they've replaced the speakers (roof/headliner speakers) - which made a lot more sense to me.
- No buzzing (kind of falsetto when the note hits medium high frequencies - like in a sax/trumpet). We were overjoyed as we drive straight from the center for a long drive on memorial day. But the joy lasted for 30 mins and the buzzing got back. When I press 'up' the speakers into their housing, the buzzing stops.
- I think the issue is the speaker housing and fitment - there is some chord or connector or flap which is vibrating at its resonance frequency which is there for a few seconds in certain songs.
- I have decided to give up on getting this fixed unless I find another fellow crazy nut like me (or my son) who has our patience but additionally has the ability to disassemble and refit the speakers with some small packing/rubber cushion and check. Dealership/svc are basically kind of semi literate about this and know only one thing - replace it and be done with it.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 560 Likes on 415 Posts
MB
Another rattle started. Now I have two rattles in the hatch area. This one sounds very similar to the one that I had leaving the dealer lot right after I purchased it. I’m not sure if it’s back or just very nearby. This freaking piece of crap has so many rattles I just have to laugh at how poorly made this thing is.

1. MBUX Screen rattle/creak with body flexes.
2. Steering column creak with bumps and body flexes.
3. Headliner rattle when the sun visor is clipped in.
4. Rear hatch rattle that sounds like it’s coming from the latch area.
5. Rear rattle that sounds like it’s coming from behind the rear passenger seat area.

FU POS.
Not to sound condescending (like when IT asks if you tried restarting your computer 😅 ) but have you remove anything and everything from doorbins, storage consoles, and under cargo compartment of any loose items just to double check? Also, I believe their are some manufacturer communications (TSBs) regarding some rattles related to certain pillars and steering column. Look under structure:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/M...Communications

Last edited by wildta; 06-15-2023 at 04:16 PM.
CarLover73 (04-26-2024)
Old 06-15-2023, 04:35 PM

Received 193 Likes on 121 Posts
2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport
Originally Posted by wildta
Not to sound condescending (like when IT asks if you tried restarting your computer 😅 ) but have you remove anything and everything from doorbins, storage consoles, and under cargo compartment of any loose items just to double check? Also, I believe their are some manufacturer communications (TSBs) regarding some rattles related to certain pillars and steering column. Look under structure:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/M...Communications
I believe he got rid of his GLE about 2 months ago and now has an S-Class.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by djgiovanni
I believe he got rid of his GLE about 2 months ago and now has an S-Class.
Oops. Please disregard them but I'll leave my response up for others since it links to the NHTSA communications just in case it helps others.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,170 Likes on 841 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
I’m curious if I’m the only one driving around in what can only be described as a tin can full of marbles. Anyone care to share their interior rattles and if they are fixed? While this issue is inconsequential in the greater scheme of things, they are overwhelmingly annoying and makes the car feel cheap.
4+ years and 32k miles and no rattles.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
4+ years and 32k miles and no rattles.
​​​​​​Same. No rattles on a 2020.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Yeah, I got rid of it because of all of the issues. The rattling drove me bonkers, and dealing with that many rattles is an endless battle and a big no thanks from me.

I still get Carfax notifications from my GLE every time it’s serviced and the poor sap that purchased it had to take back to the dealer less than 1k and one month after buying it lol. That car has been to the dealer four times now and it doesn’t even have 5k miles and I would bet all of the rattles and other issues aren’t gone. I really feel sorry for whomever purchased it and unless the new owner can somehow associate the car with him on Carfax, I’ll continue to get notified every time it goes to the dealer lol.

Maybe the new owner is here. It’s kind of a rare GLE in that it had 22” silver wheels and is fully loaded to the teeth, including the high-end 3D Burmester.

Old 06-16-2023, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, I got rid of it because of all of the issues. The rattling drove me bonkers, and dealing with that many rattles is an endless battle and a big no thanks from me.

I still get Carfax notifications from my GLE every time it’s serviced and the poor sap that purchased it had to take back to the dealer less than 1k and one month after buying it lol. That car has been to the dealer four times now and it doesn’t even have 5k miles and I would bet all of the rattles and other issues aren’t gone. I really feel sorry for whomever purchased it and unless the new owner can somehow associate the car with him on Carfax, I’ll continue to get notified every time it goes to the dealer lol.

Maybe the new owner is here. It’s kind of a rare GLE in that it had 22” silver wheels and is fully loaded to the teeth, including the high-end 3D Burmester.

Looks like it was due for its A service. After a presale service. And your two visits. Looks pretty normal.
Hope you're doing well.

Last edited by mikapen; 06-16-2023 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:35 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
No rattles from my 2021 anymore either - terminated my lease on Wednesday, a week before its two year anniversary. 9,567 kilometres (5,944 miles). Between the equity and upcoming payment, I walked away with just shy of a five-figure cheque in my pocket.

Not sure what's next, but I will take some time to shop around. Maybe try and warm up to the styling of the EQE SUV.

Aside from various interior squeaks and rattles and the 48-volt battery failure, the GLE was a pretty good vehicle. I had zero complaints about the engine or transmission, or any other aspect of the vehicle.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:20 AM

Received 193 Likes on 121 Posts
2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport

Yours was a coupe, yes?
Either way, safe to say you had a lemon. I too got rid of my 450 due to harsh downshifting, but, stayed with GLE. No issues at all so far.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
It is a coupe and it is a lemon, with major build quality issues and other more systemic, underlying quality issues. I’ve never, in my entire long life, wanted to get rid of a new car within the first six months, but that’s exactly what happened to me. I’m thankful I’m not driving that anymore.
Old 06-16-2023, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is a coupe and it is a lemon, with major build quality issues and other more systemic, underlying quality issues. I’ve never, in my entire long life, wanted to get rid of a new car within the first six months, but that’s exactly what happened to me. I’m thankful I’m not driving that anymore.
We all wondered why you didn't take it to the dealer to get things fixed, and we see only two visits. We know that they didn't address your Akerman Effect "problem" and it p****d you off because you wanted validation. How many posts on that did you make - 10? 20? I don't think many agreed that you had problems, other than RTFM issues.
​​​​​​
I'll bet the current owner is delighted, seeing that they're performing normal maintenance now. It's a good practice.

I see these comments as one person's frustration with the Forum and an unsympathetic dealer, not a bona fide car issue. I don't think I'm alone.

Last edited by mikapen; 06-16-2023 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
I’m sure the new owner was delighted to take the car back to the dealer so soon after buying it, lol. We’ll see how many more times they go as I got a perfect window into the car. Buying anything out of that factory is like playing the quality control lottery.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Interior Rattle Survey