GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Where does everyone put their iPhone when using carplay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 07:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The Emerald Cruiser - my 2024 GLE 350
Where does everyone put their iPhone when using carplay?

Aloha everyone,
I currently drive a 2014 ML350 and was looking to get a new vehicle. Right now, it's down to either a 2023 GLC 300 or a 2023 GLE 350. I no longer have any requirement for a larger vehicle (although the GLE is very nice indeed), so the GLC would fit. I do like the extra driver legroom, but when it gets to carplay, I am left scratching my head. Why would Mercedes put the only carplay port next to a wireless charging pad that can't be used when accessing carplay? My wife and rented an Audi Q5 while on vacation last year, and it has the same problem. We had to string out a USB-C to Lightning cable in the rental car, which is unsightly and a PITA. My question is this: for those that use wired carplay, where do you put your iPhone/Android device? I guess we could put it in the center console, so long as the cable doesn't get pinched too much.

Along a different tangent, I found a carlinkit 4 device, on
Amazon Amazon
, which plugs into the carplay port. I took a test drive ot eh 2023 GLE this morning and, IIRC, there is space the the left of the cupholders, which should be large enough for that device. In that way, the iPhone could be placed on the wireless charging pad and the carlinkit could be used to provide wireless carplay to the iPhone. Has anyone tried this approach? The GLC is cheaper albeit smaller, but I'm really used to the size of the GLE. Furthermore, the GLE drives like a dream.

BTW, I read that the reason for the letterboxing of carplay in both the E-class and GLE-class has something to do with other Mercedes vehicles with a 7-inch screen and Mercedes wanting to keep the same aspect ratio, although that doesn't make much sense to me. Has anyone else read anything along the same lines?

EDIT: We don't have any 2023 GLC 300 SUV vehicles yet in Honolulu, so I sat in a 2023 GLC 300 Coupe to verify the driver leg room. This is perhaps where I remember the space to the left of the cupholders. I failed to take enough pics with my iPhone.

Last edited by bud.jones; 01-07-2023 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Add additional content
Old 01-07-2023, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 697 Likes on 437 Posts
2023 S500
I ended up getting a dash clamp mount and clamped it near the cupholder. It works great. It’s out of sight yet within easy reach. I can’t stand the vent clips. I bought a two foot USB cable from Amazon and everything is fairly discreet.

Old 01-07-2023, 09:28 PM

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts
2021 GLE450
I put mine bottom/jack up in the left cupholder. If I spent as much time in my car as I used to, I'd probably have a magnetic mount on the left-most of the center vents.
The following users liked this post:
cupecoy (01-11-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 09:49 PM

Thanks for your response. This gives me something to consider.
Old 01-07-2023, 09:50 PM

I was thinking something along the same lines, although the wireless carplay adapters don't sound too bad. Thanks for your response.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,239 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I never take my phone out of my pocket, so it’s a non issue (via aforementioned wireless adapter).
The older Comand had full screen CarPlay but MBUX 1 doesn’t. This is not related to screen sizes but due to the interface controls that MB wanted to leave in place (temps, home, notifications). MBUX 2 doesn’t have the issue and I assume this will get resolved with the coming facelift and MBUX update.
Hopefully that will be upgradeable on older models as well.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I never take my phone out of my pocket, so it’s a non issue (via aforementioned wireless adapter).
The older Comand had full screen CarPlay but MBUX 1 doesn’t. This is not related to screen sizes but due to the interface controls that MB wanted to leave in place (temps, home, notifications). MBUX 2 doesn’t have the issue and I assume this will get resolved with the coming facelift and MBUX update.
Wolfman, thank you for your response. We'll have to see about the resolution with future MBUX releases. When the GLE gets NTG 7, that issue will likely be resolved. In the 2023 GLC 300, carplay takes up the entire screen in the middle, so I'm thinking that the GLE will get the same screen setup when it gets NTG 7. I was told that the 2024 GLE will get NTG 7, but the salesman with whom I spoke today was unaware of that possibility.

You mentioned that you use a wireless carplay adapter. Which one do you use?
Old 01-08-2023, 12:48 AM

Wolfman, I remember when carplay was first introduced. I purchased my ML350 in 2014, and we were told that Mercedes was working on a solution to retrofit our vehicles with carplay. After a year, that turned into "just buy a new Mercedes". I've been doing OK with the multimedia cable I have, but carplay is infinitely better .
Old 01-08-2023, 06:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLE350
Works great and keeps phone screen in view for JBV1 alerts.

Car Phone Holder For Mercedes-benz Gle W167 2019 Accessories Gle 63 350 Interior Modification Navigation Holder Phone Stand 2020 - Gps Stand - AliExpress

Old 01-08-2023, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,175 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
A general complaint I have with GLE's is the ever dwindling storage space.
So I seldom use my cup holders for cups, and instead put my phone in there.

I actually find very little use for carplay (Android auto in my case) because I like Mercedes' use of HERE for navigation better than Google's offerings.

All the music apps I use are available through Bluetooth without carplay, and since I don't have the Burmester 3D, I can't hear the loss of sound quality from the Bluetooth.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS
I put mine on the wireless charger while using wired CarPlay. The charger is not active if the phone is charging via USB. If the GLC is the same as my C63S coupe, the cup holder insert is removable and then there's a notch for the USB cable, so that the phone rests flat on the charger, which again is inactive if the phone is already charging via USB. I rarely use the cup holders, so I keep the insert in the center console compartment and put it back in on the rare occasion I need them.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-08-2023 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bud.jones
Wolfman, thank you for your response. We'll have to see about the resolution with future MBUX releases. When the GLE gets NTG 7, that issue will likely be resolved. In the 2023 GLC 300, carplay takes up the entire screen in the middle, so I'm thinking that the GLE will get the same screen setup when it gets NTG 7. I was told that the 2024 GLE will get NTG 7, but the salesman with whom I spoke today was unaware of that possibility.

You mentioned that you use a wireless carplay adapter. Which one do you use?
I am using an older version of the Carlinkit and it's been working well (enough). The only thing that I wish would be better is the option to select which iPhone connects to CarPlay (if more phones have been paired and all are in the car) but this was similar to BMW's native wireless CarPlay.

As for the upgradability of an older MBUX to the newer one when available maybe wishful thinking but we are at a time where subscription services open the door for such upgrades. That is if the software and hardware requirements can be met. But I haven't plugged in our iPhone into any car for CarPlay for well over a year. This convenience trumps anything else...
Old 01-08-2023, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by mikapen
A general complaint I have with GLE's is the ever dwindling storage space.
So I seldom use my cup holders for cups, and instead put my phone in there.

I actually find very little use for carplay (Android auto in my case) because I like Mercedes' use of HERE for navigation better than Google's offerings.

All the music apps I use are available through Bluetooth without carplay, and since I don't have the Burmester 3D, I can't hear the loss of sound quality from the Bluetooth.
How to you access your iPhone media via MBUX? That's something I haven't seen in any YouTube videos.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss
I put mine on the wireless charger while using wired CarPlay. The charger is not active if the phone is charging via USB. If the GLC is the same as my C63S coupe, the cup holder insert is removable and then there's a notch for the USB cable, so that the phone rests flat on the charger, which again is inactive if the phone is already charging via USB. I rarely use the cup holders, so I keep the insert in the center console compartment and put it back in on the rare occasion I need them.

so the trick is to plug into wireless carplay first, then rest the iPhone on the wireless charger, correct?
Old 01-08-2023, 11:47 PM

I am using an older version of the Carlinkit and it's been working well (enough). The only thing that I wish would be better is the option to select which iPhone connects to CarPlay (if more phones have been paired and all are in the car) but this was similar to BMW's native wireless CarPlay.

As for the upgradability of an older MBUX to the newer one when available maybe wishful thinking but we are at a time where subscription services open the door for such upgrades. That is if the software and hardware requirements can be met. But I haven't plugged in our iPhone into any car for CarPlay for well over a year. This convenience trumps anything else...
Wireless carplay was apparently a hardware limitation - NTG6 vs. NTG7, or maybe that was just "an incentive to upgrade". With more and more things happening on the software front, your suggestion of subscription services will most likely turn out to be true. What's even more interesting is what Apple disclosed at CES. Apparently, a new version of carplay will be launched by the end of this year which will take over all of the infotainment screens. For example, not just the right-hand screen in the GLE, but the one behind the steering wheel as well. We'll have to wait and see how that actually turns out, but Mercedes-Benz was one of the automakers mentioned as the first to be in line for acceptance. Imagine that on the hyperscreen in the S-Class!

Last edited by bud.jones; 01-08-2023 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Corrent a typo
Old 01-09-2023, 06:39 AM

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
On the wireless charging pad.
Old 01-09-2023, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
so the trick is to plug into wireless carplay first, then rest the iPhone on the wireless charger, correct?
If you use wireless CarPlay then you don't plug in your phone so yes you wanna charge it wirelessly at the same time. CarPlay drains the battery quite quickly.

However if you use wired CarPlay, then the order doesn't matter. The iPhone will automatically choose the faster charger.

I don't use wireless CarPlay mainly because it immediately connects and drains the battery much more than the regular Bluetooth connection. So if I wanna use CarPlay then I explicitly plug it in. Wired CarPlay is also more stable.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by superswiss
If you use wireless CarPlay then you don't plug in your phone so yes you wanna charge it wirelessly at the same time. CarPlay drains the battery quite quickly.

However if you use wired CarPlay, then the order doesn't matter. The iPhone will automatically choose the faster charger.

I don't use wireless CarPlay mainly because it immediately connects and drains the battery much more than the regular Bluetooth connection. So if I wanna use CarPlay then I explicitly plug it in. Wired CarPlay is also more stable.
Wow, I just noticed my typo. I meant to say that one should plug into the wired carplay first, then place on the wireless charging pad. I apologize for the confusion. The wired connection charges faster than the pad, is that correct? Also, does Mercedes offer their dash cam with the new GLE?
Old 01-09-2023, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Wow, I just noticed my typo. I meant to say that one should plug into the wired carplay first, then place on the wireless charging pad. I apologize for the confusion. The wired connection charges faster than the pad, is that correct? Also, does Mercedes offer their dash cam with the new GLE?
No problem. Yes the wired connection charges faster. The wireless chargers are not very powerful. In fact they are not powerful enough to materially charge the battery while using CarPlay. They just have about enough power to run the phone w/o further draining the battery.

I'm not very familiar with the GLE options, but yes I believe the dash cam is available.
Old 01-09-2023, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
One more point. Wireless CarPlay with wireless charging tends to get the phone very hot to the point where things start crashing.

I'm actually traveling in Europe at the moment driving a new Golf 8 rental with wireless charger and CarPlay. After about 30 minutes, CarPlay starts crashing. I made a similar experience 6 months ago in an Audi A6. Things are stable if I plug the phone in, so that's what I've been doing since I'm doing 4-5 hour drives.
Old 01-09-2023, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, the dashcam is available but vastly inferior to an aftermarket 4K multi channel one like Blackvue or Thinkware. Still a nice addition to take snapshots in case of accident. It's a one-time fee only ($200?)

We just drive in the city so no need to ever charge the phone in the car wireless or wired...
Old 01-09-2023, 01:55 PM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
SUV
Originally Posted by TexAg91
On the wireless charging pad.
This would make perfect sense, wouldn't it? I think the issue is the cable used for CarPlay. Mine didn't come with a wireless charger and if I drive, I either keep it in my pocket or hook it for CarPlay. Somehow when it's connected for CarPlay, cupholder is the only place it would fit in there. And mine is not even Pro Max.
Old 01-09-2023, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 697 Likes on 437 Posts
2023 S500
The wireless charging pad won’t fit my phone if I have it plugged in and I have a normal iPhone not the large one. It’s lame how small it is, otherwise I would certainly do the same as I would rather not use a separate phone mount. I prefer the wired audio quality with the 3D Burmeister system.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:44 PM

Aloha everyone,

Thanks for all the responses. I have a lot to consider, but just may end up getting the GLE. The one I test drove drives like a dream, floating over the rough patches in the roads here in Honolulu, even at stock (without the dampening package - I can't remember what it's called). I know the Mercedes dashcam only records at 720p vice 4K UHD, but it can also show its content on the multimedia screens. Is there any way to accomplish this with a 3rd party dashcam? I have a Blackvue both in my car and my wife's Lexus IS 200T, and they work well, for the most part. I have to check on my wife's car, as the dashcam seems to have a problem running consistently. The other thing I like about the Mercedes system is that I can get a large SSD (~200GB) and simply plug it in before I drive, then unplug it when I get home to download any "interesting" video files, hence my interest in a dash cam that can be integrated into the MBUX system. If that is not possible, well, I'll just bite the bullet and get another Blackvue
Old 01-10-2023, 12:07 AM

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Subaru BRZ
Aloha everyone,

Thanks for all the responses. I have a lot to consider, but just may end up getting the GLE. The one I test drove drives like a dream, floating over the rough patches in the roads here in Honolulu, even at stock (without the dampening package - I can't remember what it's called). I know the Mercedes dashcam only records at 720p vice 4K UHD, but it can also show its content on the multimedia screens. Is there any way to accomplish this with a 3rd party dashcam? I have a Blackvue both in my car and my wife's Lexus IS 200T, and they work well, for the most part. I have to check on my wife's car, as the dashcam seems to have a problem running consistently. The other thing I like about the Mercedes system is that I can get a large SSD (~200GB) and simply plug it in before I drive, then unplug it when I get home to download any "interesting" video files, hence my interest in a dash cam that can be integrated into the MBUX system. If that is not possible, well, I'll just bite the bullet and get another Blackvue
Just another point of consideration btw, the built-in dashcam also has to be set to record every time you start the car, it doesn't automatically start recording. See this UK reviewer's video from a year ago:
There was another thread about the dashcam here that went over some other odd issues too: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...5-dashcam.html
Not sure if anything has changed in the last year or two for the US (due to NHTSA approval), but some more searching did bring up this thread from the 2021+ S class forum that showed auto-loop being an option on that car now at least: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...uto-start.html

Overall I decided against it for my 2023 GLE order since the quality is just 720p and I find it easier to replace an aftermarket dashcam as things break or features improve over time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Where does everyone put their iPhone when using carplay?