GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Dashcam

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 08:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE450
Dashcam

I dont see dashcam as an option on the online configurator but I see it being mentioned as a $200 option that people added to their car. Can anyone explain how it works and if its worth having? Is it integrated into the car or an external accessory that you plug in?

On that note, what other accessories are there that online configurator doesnt show yet you can add? I dont want to miss anything that I should add.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by FirstSUVOwner
I dont see dashcam as an option on the online configurator but I see it being mentioned as a $200 option that people added to their car. Can anyone explain how it works and if its worth having? Is it integrated into the car or an external accessory that you plug in?
On that note, what other accessories are there that online configurator doesnt show yet you can add? I dont want to miss anything that I should add.
The Configurator is only a marketing tool, the Dealer Netstar system is the only accurate order tool. The options listed for the online Configurator may not all be available at order. For instance the DAP. With the chip shortage some options might be pulled after order or not available to order. There are posts on how the camera functions available by search. As I recall you need to turn it on each time you want it active and then it records to a thumb drive. Not ideal…. The Dealer is the best source of up to date information.
The following users liked this post:
FirstSUVOwner (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 09:17 PM

GLE450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
The Configurator is only a marketing tool, the Dealer Netstar system is the only accurate order tool. The options listed for the online Configurator may not all be available at order. For instance the DAP. With the chip shortage some options might be pulled after order or not available to order. There are posts on how the camera functions available by search. As I recall you need to turn it on each time you want it active and then it records to a thumb drive. Not ideal…. The Dealer is the best source of up to date information.
Thank you.

I m assuming you mean DAP = Drivers Assistance Package. This isnt available to order?
Old 07-11-2021, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you.

I m assuming you mean DAP = Drivers Assistance Package. This isnt available to order?
It wasn’t available a few weeks ago…might be available on some models or maybe all by now. It was a comment made by the Sales Manager, I didn’t ask about any details.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:52 PM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
Back in 2019 when I ordered, Magic Vision Control wasn't in the online configurator and it wasn't in the Dealer Order Guide pdf either. I think it's since been added to the DOG but not the online configurator (though the options depend on the country website you visit). So, it's an easy one to miss if you care about it.

Old 07-12-2021, 02:44 AM

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
2021 GLS450
it's built in (camera behind rear view mirror, i believe) but it's not all that great. first off, you have to remember to turn it on every single time you start the car. secondly, it only records from the front. for $200, i don't regret getting it, but it certainly won't provide the coverage a dedicated dash cam could/would.
kvelez (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 02:46 PM

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts
2021 GLE 450
We got the dashcam and while not ideal it is better than dangling wires. We had to train ourselves to turn it on every time we start the car.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:13 PM

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
2021 GLS450
Originally Posted by kvelez
We got the dashcam and while not ideal it is better than dangling wires. We had to train ourselves to turn it on every time we start the car.
i literally just went out to my car and put the dashcam button in my favorites. now it's just 2 touches, favorite, then dashcam, instead of home, app, dashcam, start recording. hopefully i'll get into the habit of turning it on each time i get in the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by jomama:
Jbrown27 (07-07-2024), momo123 (10-24-2023), Stuart Morley (08-04-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 05:21 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by jomama
i literally just went out to my car and put the dashcam button in my favorites. now it's just 2 touches, favorite, then dashcam, instead of home, app, dashcam, start recording. hopefully i'll get into the habit of turning it on each time i get in the car.
It took me about a week to get the muscle memory going on it. The only bad thing is MBUX takes a couple minutes to boot up before you can activate the dash cam.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:04 PM

2021 GLE 450
Post Dashcam Issue Summary

For those of you who have not kept up or can't find the rest of the threads on the subject here is a summary.

PROBLEM
  • Mercedes-Benz sells and you probably purchase a factory-installed dashcam that will not Auto record. For the purpose of this post, we will only talk about vehicles purchased and operated inside the USA.
FACTS:
  • There is no Mercedes-Benz notification on the window sticker or manual about the factory disabling automatic video recording.

• Furthermore, the onboard electronic manual shows how to activate the feature hence there is no way for you to know this feature is disabled before purchasing the vehicle.

• The missing auto-record feature is analogous to having a clock in the car that needs to have the time set every time you start the engine. Not what you would expect from a world-renowned "The best or nothing," automobile manufacturer.
  • The dealer and Mercedes-Benz will attempt to convince you without any evidence that it's illegal for them to activate the auto recorder. This is not true. The dash camera does not record audio or video inside the passenger compartment. The aforementioned recording would be illegal in some states (CA surprised?).
  • The Auto-record feature is not working because Mercedes-Benz has not aggressively pursued approval from the NHTSA. Approval is needed because it's a new feature.
  • Here is one of many articles on the legality of dashcam recordings. https://www.azuga.com/blog/dashcam-l...ers-and-owners
  • Vehicles with the Dashcam 2U1 package are supplied with a "Media Interface adapter cable" but no USB flash drive.

Workaround
  • You can register the dashcam to 'Favorite' on the center console (the button with a star symbol). Once done, it needs only two clicks without even touching the screen (you need to move the dashcam icon to the leftmost position so you don't need to scroll to the right). Keep in mind this will not resolve the disabled auto-recording feature but gives you a workaround albeit a lot of discipline required to remember to turn it on.
  • Once you plug in a USB Flash Drive using the Mercedes-Benz supplied adapter the manual recording may or may not work. In most cases, it works for a while and then stops, becomes intermittent and eventually, the DashCam software in the Mercedes apps disappears. Don't waste your time with the dealer they do not know how to fix the issue. They will factory reset your MBUX software, you will lose all your settings and it will not fix the issue.
  • Regardless if you use the workaround or not you might get the following error.

Function Unavailable

• FIX
  • The fix consists of installing a newer USB Type C aka "sub C" without any adapter. Once you start the engine within a minute the software will appear in your Mercedes apps and you can manually initiate recordings. The wait time will have to be repeated on each use. Here is a photo of the one that worked for me.

WHAT CAN YOU DO
  • Complain to Mercedes-Benz in writing using this email address. mercedes_benz@mailac.custhelp.com
  • When you received the canned response "Thank you for your email to Mercedes-Benz USA. However, we regret to inform you, the vehicle is designed to require manual activation of the dashcam within the US market, etc..." do not accept that as an answer. Request that they raise your request to the level to someone that can authorize enabling the option that was disabled without your knowledge or consent. This will result in a phone call (they don't want it writing) from the Executive Referral Management team. Explain to them your displeasure and frustration. They do not have an answer for "Why was this not disclosed before the purchase?". See if they will send you in writing what efforts have been undertaken to get approval from whatever agency is holding them. If we can get the department number and address we could flood them with letters.
  • The more of us complaining the greater the chance of the issue getting fixed as these guys have access to the engineering and legal teams.
Key points
  • the software is already written to provide the functionality. All they have to do is stop disabling the auto-record feature which can be done via an "over the air" software update.
  • The problem you are experiencing was an undisclosed issue that would have changed your mind about the purchase.
  • PLEASE Post any new revelations or updates to this thread.
The following 8 users liked this post by kvelez:
BACnMercedes (08-03-2021), Honcho (08-12-2021), jdhoang (07-13-2021), Joemrx (08-27-2021), momo123 (10-24-2023), nextmilenium (07-13-2021), Timmay (07-15-2021), trader1117 (08-18-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-13-2021, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,175 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
@kvelez I'm not interested in a low definition camera.

But I am interested in your statement:
  • "The Auto-record feature is not working because Mercedes-Benz has not aggressively pursued approval from the NHTSA. Approval is needed because it's a new feature."
When did we get to the point of the Feds having to approve features?
I'd appreciate a reference because I may have some input here.
Thanks.

Last edited by mikapen; 07-13-2021 at 05:56 PM.
jtjbt20x (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 06:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 GLE 450
kvelez: thank you for that detailed instructions and issues on the dashcam! I have my dashcam configured but have not got in the habit of turning it on whenever I drive. I was not aware of the intermittent failure and your solution to use the USB Type-C flash drive - which I will order right now.

I would add the issue that if you want to play music off USB, selecting USB picks the USB port near the wireless charger where I have the drive for recording and not the port in the armrest compartment where I have my MP3/flac files. Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:25 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
For those of you who have not kept up or can't find the rest of the threads on the subject here is a summary.

PROBLEM
  • Mercedes-Benz sells and you probably purchase a factory-installed dashcam that will not Auto record. For the purpose of this post, we will only talk about vehicles purchased and operated inside the USA.
FACTS:
  • There is no Mercedes-Benz notification on the window sticker or manual about the factory disabling automatic video recording.

• Furthermore, the onboard electronic manual shows how to activate the feature hence there is no way for you to know this feature is disabled before purchasing the vehicle.

• The missing auto-record feature is analogous to having a clock in the car that needs to have the time set every time you start the engine. Not what you would expect from a world-renowned "The best or nothing," automobile manufacturer.
  • The dealer and Mercedes-Benz will attempt to convince you without any evidence that it's illegal for them to activate the auto recorder. This is not true. The dash camera does not record audio or video inside the passenger compartment. The aforementioned recording would be illegal in some states (CA surprised?).
  • The Auto-record feature is not working because Mercedes-Benz has not aggressively pursued approval from the NHTSA. Approval is needed because it's a new feature.
  • Here is one of many articles on the legality of dashcam recordings. https://www.azuga.com/blog/dashcam-l...ers-and-owners
  • Vehicles with the Dashcam 2U1 package are supplied with a "Media Interface adapter cable" but no USB flash drive.

Workaround
  • You can register the dashcam to 'Favorite' on the center console (the button with a star symbol). Once done, it needs only two clicks without even touching the screen (you need to move the dashcam icon to the leftmost position so you don't need to scroll to the right). Keep in mind this will not resolve the disabled auto-recording feature but gives you a workaround albeit a lot of discipline required to remember to turn it on.
  • Once you plug in a USB Flash Drive using the Mercedes-Benz supplied adapter the manual recording may or may not work. In most cases, it works for a while and then stops, becomes intermittent and eventually, the DashCam software in the Mercedes apps disappears. Don't waste your time with the dealer they do not know how to fix the issue. They will factory reset your MBUX software, you will lose all your settings and it will not fix the issue.
  • Regardless if you use the workaround or not you might get the following error.

Function Unavailable

• FIX
  • The fix consists of installing a newer USB Type C aka "sub C" without any adapter. Once you start the engine within a minute the software will appear in your Mercedes apps and you can manually initiate recordings. The wait time will have to be repeated on each use. Here is a photo of the one that worked for me.

WHAT CAN YOU DO
  • Complain to Mercedes-Benz in writing using this email address. mercedes_benz@mailac.custhelp.com
  • When you received the canned response "Thank you for your email to Mercedes-Benz USA. However, we regret to inform you, the vehicle is designed to require manual activation of the dashcam within the US market, etc..." do not accept that as an answer. Request that they raise your request to the level to someone that can authorize enabling the option that was disabled without your knowledge or consent. This will result in a phone call (they don't want it writing) from the Executive Referral Management team. Explain to them your displeasure and frustration. They do not have an answer for "Why was this not disclosed before the purchase?". See if they will send you in writing what efforts have been undertaken to get approval from whatever agency is holding them. If we can get the department number and address we could flood them with letters.
  • The more of us complaining the greater the chance of the issue getting fixed as these guys have access to the engineering and legal teams.
Key points
  • the software is already written to provide the functionality. All they have to do is stop disabling the auto-record feature which can be done via an "over the air" software update.
  • The problem you are experiencing was an undisclosed issue that would have changed your mind about the purchase.
  • PLEASE Post any new revelations or updates to this thread.
Comprehensive.
kvelez (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 08:28 PM

2021 GLE 450
Executive Referral Management team's story

Originally Posted by mikapen
@kvelez I'm not interested in a low definition camera.

But I am interested in your statement:
  • "The Auto-record feature is not working because Mercedes-Benz has not aggressively pursued approval from the NHTSA. Approval is needed because it's a new feature."
When did we get to the point of the Feds having to approve features?
I'd appreciate a reference because I may have some input here.
Thanks.
That is the story I got from the Executive Referral Management team
Old 07-13-2021, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,175 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
That is the story I got from the Executive Referral Management team
Sounds suspicious.
Well, if so, I wish NHTSA would quit it. And get their regs off our headlights too!
kvelez (07-13-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 10:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 AMG GLC63S Coupe, 2020 GLE 450
This may have been covered before but I have an early model 2020 GLE450 with the correct options to "have" the dash cam but its not included in my build. (DAP, Augmented Video for Navigation)

Assuming we are stuck without it but wondered if anyone has heard/seen of a way to make it work?
Old 07-14-2021, 10:25 AM

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by nbukrey
This may have been covered before but I have an early model 2020 GLE450 with the correct options to "have" the dash cam but its not included in my build. (DAP, Augmented Video for Navigation)

Assuming we are stuck without it but wondered if anyone has heard/seen of a way to make it work?
Same here. I had a dashcam icon/button that was “grayed out”. Wonder if it would become “functional” after a min or two; after plugging in a USB drive? Tried using the drive I use for manual maps updates, but the icon stayed grayed out. Only gave it 15-20 seconds or so, and gave up figuring it was disabled.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:34 AM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by TexAg91
Same here. I had a dashcam icon/button that was “grayed out”. Wonder if it would become “functional” after a min or two; after plugging in a USB drive? Tried using the drive I use for manual maps updates, but the icon stayed grayed out. Only gave it 15-20 seconds or so, and gave up figuring it was disabled.
When I start my GLE, there is no dash cam icon, but after about a minute, the icon appears.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:07 PM

2021 GLE 450
If your's didn't come with the 21U package I understand it can not be activated.
Old 07-15-2021, 01:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2021 GLE53 SUV
I am in Canada, and have the dashcam option as well. Like you, I must activate it every time which is frustrating. I do not believe we have any laws preventing an auto-enable feature like Tesla’s, etc..
Old 07-15-2021, 11:13 AM

2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Timmay
I am in Canada, and have the dashcam option as well. Like you, I must activate it every time which is frustrating. I do not believe we have any laws preventing an auto-enable feature like Tesla’s, etc..
Your experience invalidates the answer I was given that it was all a USA regulation issue. I know from another forum the auto-record works in other countries.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We had a similar issue with LKA at the V167 launch. You had to turn it off each on/off engine cycle. After complaints and about 6 months a fix came out to leave it as set. I think the only thing they can’t change in MBUX programming are things like the start/stop since it changes emissions/EPA certification & the Headlights with outdated rules.
mikapen (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 11:40 AM

2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
We had a similar issue with LKA at the V167 launch. You had to turn it off each on/off engine cycle. After complaints and about 6 months a fix came out to leave it as set. I think the only thing they can’t change in MBUX programming are things like the start/stop since it changes emissions/EPA certification & the Headlights with outdated rules.
That is why I keep insisting to complain all the way up the chain.
Old 07-15-2021, 01:28 PM

2024 GLE 450e hybrid / 2023 Mercedes EQE 350+ RWD
Dashcam available for 2020 GLE

Any info on MB activating the dash cam for my 2020 GLE 450 (built 08/20). I have all the required options for it to work (according to my dealer) but MBUX software status says "deactivated"
Old 07-15-2021, 01:35 PM

2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by donaldm241
Any info on MB activating the dash cam for my 2020 GLE 450 (built 08/20). I have all the required options for it to work (according to my dealer) but MBUX software status says "deactivated"
If your car came with the 21U package ($200) it should work once you insert the USB stick as I described above.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dashcam