GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

I'm getting a new GLE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 11:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The Emerald Cruiser - my 2024 GLE 350
I'm getting a new GLE!

My wife and I sat down today and finalized our configurator build. Hopefully the chip shortage won't affect availability of any of the packages we picked out. I'm stoked, and will be ordering it from our local Mercedes-Benz dealership on Saturday. Then comes the 4-6 month waiting game.

I have a question for y'all. Whatever happened to the Rear Cross-Traffic Assist option? My wife's 2017 Lexus IS200T has it, but my 2014 ML350 doesn't appear to have it. Of course, I look when I back up, but an audible alert would be nice. Looking at the dates of Mercedes-Benz videos, I didn't see any reference to it for the past five years. Has Rear Cross-Traffic Assist been rolled up into the standard offerings or in another package? Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by bud.jones:
js_cls (01-21-2023), Lanzz (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 04:50 AM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
Congratulations on your new order.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:23 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Congratulations you will love your GLE.

Regarding the rear cross traffic alert. I believe this comes as standard. I know in my 21 GLE 350 it came as standard and it also brakes the car for you as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by makris0000:
EXTRAOLD (01-21-2023), mikapen (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 580 Posts
N/A
The new facelift GLE is supposedly going to be unveiled next month, may be worth looking into.
Will have new steering wheel and a big upgrade to the infotainment (wireless Car Play, etc..)
The following 2 users liked this post by Eaton:
AMMBGLE (01-20-2023), jaxslk (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 03:59 PM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
SUV
It’s part of blind spot but I haven’t heard an alert myself. I don’t drive hers often to know but I don’t remember hearing anything from backing out. Same with my X5. It doesn’t always work unlike Lexus and many other mainstream cars. I too wonder why you don’t want to wait to see the facelift. It should be here soon.
Old 01-20-2023, 04:22 PM

Received 361 Likes on 257 Posts
'16 C450, '21 Dad Wagon Pilot, '22 Wrangler 4xe
Originally Posted by Eaton
The new facelift GLE is supposedly going to be unveiled next month, may be worth looking into.
Will have new steering wheel and a big upgrade to the infotainment (wireless Car Play, etc..)
2023 order banks are still closed so OP will likely be waiting for '24 and the FL coming.
The following users liked this post:
PandaSPUR (01-21-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glc 300
I ordered a '23 450 a few weeks ago. Dealer had an allocation for a mid March build. Will I be getting a face lifted model? A '24?
Old 01-20-2023, 09:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,549 Likes on 2,167 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Geba
I ordered a '23 450 a few weeks ago. Dealer had an allocation for a mid March build. Will I be getting a face lifted model? A '24?
MB has to reveal the facelift first so unlikely unless they reveal it within days but even if they do, given the chip shortage and stuff and what continent you live on the wait will be different. Europe for example gets it way sooner than North America. January is already near the end so it makes it very unlikely you are getting the facelift.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by CincyMBGuy
2023 order banks are still closed so OP will likely be waiting for '24 and the FL coming.
Well, I was planning on placing my order tomorrow, but I'll ask about the 2023 order bank at my local dealer. If that turns out to be true, I'll just have to wait. This new refresh is a sure thing? I like the interior of the GLC, but need the interior space of the GLE. Wireless carplay isn't really that big of a deal, although I would be able to use any of the available USB-C ports to charge my iPhone. Currently, I use the MMI port in the center console, so were I to have wireless carplay, I would still plug it in the USB-C port in the center console to charge while I drive to/from work (it takes around 45 minutes to 1.5 hours, depending on traffic). I'm not completely sold on the large vertical secondary screen for MBUX, though. It looks to be a bit distracting while driving, but we don't have any 2023 GLCs available for a test drive.

Thanks for the answers with respect to RCTA. With the 360 degree camera system, I think I'm covered. My wife seems to be satisfied with it. We watched a YouTube video explaining that system - it's really nice, especially for parallel parking.

Oh well, I've waited this long, I can surely wait for a few more months to see what Mercedes comes up with on the redesign. Thanks for all the responses, guys. I'll update this thread with the information I get tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2023, 12:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 GLE 450
Best vehicle ever
Old 01-21-2023, 02:28 AM

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Subaru BRZ
Originally Posted by bud.jones
Well, I was planning on placing my order tomorrow, but I'll ask about the 2023 order bank at my local dealer. If that turns out to be true, I'll just have to wait. This new refresh is a sure thing? I like the interior of the GLC, but need the interior space of the GLE. Wireless carplay isn't really that big of a deal, although I would be able to use any of the available USB-C ports to charge my iPhone. Currently, I use the MMI port in the center console, so were I to have wireless carplay, I would still plug it in the USB-C port in the center console to charge while I drive to/from work (it takes around 45 minutes to 1.5 hours, depending on traffic). I'm not completely sold on the large vertical secondary screen for MBUX, though. It looks to be a bit distracting while driving, but we don't have any 2023 GLCs available for a test drive.

Thanks for the answers with respect to RCTA. With the 360 degree camera system, I think I'm covered. My wife seems to be satisfied with it. We watched a YouTube video explaining that system - it's really nice, especially for parallel parking.

Oh well, I've waited this long, I can surely wait for a few more months to see what Mercedes comes up with on the redesign. Thanks for all the responses, guys. I'll update this thread with the information I get tomorrow.
I don't think the new 2024 model will even get wireless car play. Its not upgrading to the new MBUX with the big center tablet like the 2024 C class.
From the various rumors and leaks, it seems like its just getting the new steering wheel with capacitive touch controls instead of buttons

And yes, can confirm order banks closed in December. I guess its possible that dealers could have an unclaimed allocation that they could still modify though.
CincyMBGuy (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 08:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by PandaSPUR
I don't think the new 2024 model will even get wireless car play. Its not upgrading to the new MBUX with the big center tablet like the 2024 C class.
From the various rumors and leaks, it seems like its just getting the new steering wheel with capacitive touch controls instead of buttons

And yes, can confirm order banks closed in December. I guess its possible that dealers could have an unclaimed allocation that they could still modify though.
Hopefully it does get MBUX 2.0, the A-Class and CLA-Class facelift although still have the horizontal screen got those upgrades. I just wish they keep the touchpad unlike the cost cutting look the A and CLA got for the facelift. It is probably a stretch to hope that they bring back the scroll wheel.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:21 AM

Received 361 Likes on 257 Posts
'16 C450, '21 Dad Wagon Pilot, '22 Wrangler 4xe
Originally Posted by Geba
The banks shut down in December, I forget exactly the date but it sticks out that it was a Friday.

It's going to be small changes, it hasn't hit a new model cycle like, for example, the GLC.

All of this. I tried to alter the wheel choice on what showed as a still configurable GLE yesterday with no luck. The remaining inbound vehicles are locked in.
The following 2 users liked this post by CincyMBGuy:
jaxslk (01-21-2023), PandaSPUR (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 03:48 PM

Serious question here - why would the order banks be closed on the 2023 GLE when it's still January of 2023 and the 2024 GLE has yet to be announced? Is it that Mercedes-Benz has projected how many 2023 models can be made in a specific period of time and that the current orders have matched that number? It was much easier, pre-pandemic, to custom order a car.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
^^^^ No kidding! ^^^^
Old 01-21-2023, 07:28 PM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
2021 GLE450
Personally, I'd do everything I could to avoid the '24 with its switch from buttons to capacitive steering wheel controls. It's the primary reason I chose the GLE over an E 450 All-Terrain.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Serious question here - why would the order banks be closed on the 2023 GLE when it's still January of 2023 and the 2024 GLE has yet to be announced? Is it that Mercedes-Benz has projected how many 2023 models can be made in a specific period of time and that the current orders have matched that number? It was much easier, pre-pandemic, to custom order a car.
Hmmm now that is a good question...
Old 01-21-2023, 09:02 PM

Well, it turns out that y'all were correct - the order banks were indeed closed last month. Of the allotment my dealership had, two had the possibility of being changed. Unfortunately, the build I wanted was beyond their capability to change, which is what I thought. When I looked at the remaining orders coming in, none had leather seating or the intelligent lighting system. The other options I wanted were negotiable, but as I didn't want to compromise too much, I'll have to wait for the order banks for the 2024 GLE to open and just order a new one.

One thing I tried, on the GLE in the showroom, was the MBUX feature that sets up your seat and steering wheel for your height. It's under Vehicle in the settings. I'm 6'0" and was curious as to the driving position the GLE would determine for me. It actually put the seat a little lower down than I have in my ML350, but it was actually a better fit. I really like the wrist rest in front of the trackpad in the center console. It put everything easily within reach, not that it wasn't that way before.

I also took the time to try out Apple carplay, as well as audio from an external drive. I was sort of shocked, although really shouldn't have been, at how seamlessly my iPhone connected with the car, or vice versa. Likewise, I was surprised how easily the car recognized my external HDD (spinning platter drive, not SSD). I wasn't sure if MBUX required any particular naming convention for the audio, so I had just dumped some audio files from my computer onto the drive prior to visiting the dealership. The salesman like that I had some Star Wars tracks on there

To summarize, it kind of sucks that I can't make a purchase now, but my ML350 is still good, and I can wait for the 2024 GLEs to available for order, although after having experienced MBUX, the NTG 5.5 system I have is certainly looking aged. Thanks again for all the information and responses y'all provided. When I finally do make my order, I'll start another thread with the details.
PandaSPUR (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 11:03 PM

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Subaru BRZ
Car manufacturers do weird things when they're about to do a refresh or facelift. I assume its so dealerships dont get stuck with too many units of the previous model year.

MB is expected to release the 2024 GLE order guides in Feb/March and start delivering in May/June.

BMW is doing the same thing with its X6M, I talked to a dealership today and no more custom orders with BMW Individual paints (adds bout a month to build time) available for 2023 MY. 2024 is expected to be announced in February and start delivering over the summer.

Originally Posted by CincyMBGuy
The banks shut down in December, I forget exactly the date but it sticks out that it was a Friday.
Yep, December 9th.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:18 AM

Car manufacturers do weird things when they're about to do a refresh or facelift. I assume its so dealerships dont get stuck with too many units of the previous model year.

MB is expected to release the 2024 GLE order guides in Feb/March and start delivering in May/June.

BMW is doing the same thing with its X6M, I talked to a dealership today and no more custom orders with BMW Individual paints (adds bout a month to build time) available for 2023 MY. 2024 is expected to be announced in February and start delivering over the summer.
If that's the case, I should be able to get my 2024 GLE much sooner than I thought! That's great news!
Old 01-22-2023, 04:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2022 Ram 2500 Diesel Limited
Here is something interesting. My Rams have all had touch screens and easy hookups for phones. My wifes newer E450 has none of that. MB is a bit behind the times. The 2023 we ordered has all the same that my 2018 Ram has. Finally.
Old 01-22-2023, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by stephencs601
Here is something interesting. My Rams have all had touch screens and easy hookups for phones. My wifes newer E450 has none of that. MB is a bit behind the times. The 2023 we ordered has all the same that my 2018 Ram has. Finally.
I've noticed that as well. The C-Class, as well as the GLC-Class, has been referenced as the "baby S-Class", completely skipping over the E-Class. I don't understand that. The tech from the S-Class should go first to the E-Class/GLC-Class, then to the C-Class/GLC-Class. Of course, the GLC is the market leader in sales volume, so that may help to explain it. I can only hope that the 2024 GLE will have the same tech (MBUX 2.0) as the 2023 GLC-Class, but only time will tell.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:06 PM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2024 X5 M60i, 2018 C63S Coupe (sold)
I've noticed that as well. The C-Class, as well as the GLC-Class, has been referenced as the "baby S-Class", completely skipping over the E-Class. I don't understand that. The tech from the S-Class should go first to the E-Class/GLC-Class, then to the C-Class/GLC-Class. Of course, the GLC is the market leader in sales volume, so that may help to explain it. I can only hope that the 2024 GLE will have the same tech (MBUX 2.0) as the 2023 GLC-Class, but only time will tell.
Mercedes traditionally doesn't do interior overhauls except on platform updates (eg, "all new"). Sometimes they will tweak the screens and layout but it has to fit in the existing form factor. The C-class was due for a new platform (205 to 206) sooner than the E-class, which is still on 213. Even the current Maybach GLS still has the same basic interior/tech as the current GLE/GLS because they all share the *67 platform. As for the MBUX version, that's unknown, but the 2024 GLE won't have the new big screen from the C/S-class.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by GordonGEICO
Mercedes traditionally doesn't do interior overhauls except on platform updates (eg, "all new"). Sometimes they will tweak the screens and layout but it has to fit in the existing form factor. The C-class was due for a new platform (205 to 206) sooner than the E-class, which is still on 213. Even the current Maybach GLS still has the same basic interior/tech as the current GLE/GLS because they all share the *67 platform. As for the MBUX version, that's unknown, but the 2024 GLE won't have the new big screen from the C/S-class.
Thanks for the clarification. It just seemed like the E-Class was the red-headed stepson of Mercedes-Benz.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 351 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
The E Class's refresh schedule is about 50% off from the C and S Class. So it often gets the best and most refined version of whatever new tech the S/C get. The W222 S came out in 2014, the W205 in late 2014 as a 2015 model, the E in late 2016 as a 2017 model with no ugly screen bezels and better self driving the other too and a refreshed UI. The S got updated with that for 2018, the C for 2019, while the refreshed 2021 E caught up to some new bits and even surpassed those two. The 2021 S Came out a year later and the C for 2022 with major changes putting it far ahead of the E, but whe nthe new 2024 E comes out it will take the things the S and C don't do perfectly and improve and refine on that.

I should also mention there are many people that don't consider having a wheel instead of a touchscreen a downside.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'm getting a new GLE!