GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Option left off build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 05:42 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2022 Ram 2500 Diesel Limited
Option left off build

Anyone do a custom build and find out an option was not installed. We ordered the airmatic suspension, and it was not put on the build.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:34 AM

Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Search the site and you'll find others that had the same thing happen and not only for airmatic. Chip shortage, supply issues, etc., are the reasons
Old 01-29-2023, 09:57 AM

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Subaru BRZ
I did a custom build and my entire car was left off

But yea it has been happening since COVID supply shortages started.
Your dealer should have let you know though, they can see these changes before the build even starts as far as I know.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:18 AM

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
GLK350
Originally Posted by stephencs601
Anyone do a custom build and find out an option was not installed. We ordered the airmatic suspension, and it was not put on the build.
I ordered the night exterior trim on my 2023 GLB and just before it was to be built the factory removed it from the build but my dealer did notify me when it happened. This was last October.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR
I did a custom build and my entire car was left off

But yea it has been happening since COVID supply shortages started.
Your dealer should have let you know though, they can see these changes before the build even starts as far as I know.
Same thing happened to our Special Order 2015 GLE Diesel. It go built, shipped to, and sat in Baltimore for two months and just disappeared.
Dieselgate I guess.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:16 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2022 Ram 2500 Diesel Limited
My dealer went thru many changes and this new crew is nothing like the old ones. The old crew found employment closer to home or moved south. This should be the worst thing I deal with in life.
How is the stock suspension on the 450. I wanted to tow a bit, nothing too heavy, I have a diesel P/U truck for that. Also, the airmatic lowered the car in different modes. Any input would be helpful.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:00 AM

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
2022 GLE
Originally Posted by stephencs601
Respectfully to all those who commented. I’m having a terrible time buying Mercedes’s and their dealership excuses: Chip shortages, supply issues, COVID, and a host of other illogical reasons. Case in point. My wife order dish-ware, and was told immediately that the specific set no longer came with 8 cups. This is a sales transaction of less than $100! Why can’t Mercedes inform buyers of changes in an order costing well over 50K immediately before completing the build and before they receive the vehicle. There are too many inconsistencies in their yarn. For example, the overwhelming majority of “chip shortages” occur with vehicles made in the U.S., and more often in vehicles costing below 100K. The buyers are often told after the delivery to the dealer. As in my case, when I picked up the vehicle. And, the “chip shortage” and supply issues appears to affects every conceivable option. Mercedes-Benz -doth protest too much about “chip shortages” methinks.

Last edited by Pappachoppers; 01-30-2023 at 05:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pappachoppers:
jtjbt20x (01-30-2023), PandaSPUR (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 09:48 AM

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Subaru BRZ
Originally Posted by Pappachoppers
Respectfully to all those who commented. I’m having a terrible time buying Mercedes’s and their dealership excuses: Chip shortages, supply issues, COVID, and a host of other illogical reasons. Case in point. My wife order dish-ware, and was told immediately that the specific set no longer came with 8 cups. This is a sales transaction of less than $100! Why can’t Mercedes inform buyers of changes in an order costing well over 50K immediately before completing the build and before they receive the vehicle. There are too many inconsistencies in their yarn. For example, the overwhelming majority of “chip shortages” occur with vehicles made in the U.S., and more often in vehicles costing below 100K. The buyers are often told after the delivery to the dealer. As in my case, when I picked up the vehicle. And, the “chip shortage” and supply issues appears to affects every conceivable option. Mercedes-Benz -doth protest too much about “chip shortages” methinks.
This "unusual" market is really exposing the weaknesses of crappy dealerships and MB's handling of customers. In the US anyway. At least in Germany you can track your order yourself and I assume have automatic notifications for when your build changes.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:10 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2024 X5 M60i, 2018 C63S Coupe (sold)
I think a lot of the issue with the chip shortages and missing options comes down to a few simple points:

1) Mercedes doesn't actually manufacture the chips, and plenty of other automakers use the same chips.
2) The design spec for the cars is several years old at this point... the electronics were probably spec'd out in the mid 2010s, and I'm guessing some of the electronics have been or are being phased out by the semiconductor manufacturers. That's why you see things like 2023 model without wireless CarPlay.
3) The facelift is being revealed literally tomorrow so all of the remaining 2023 cars being built or yet to be built probably have a very limited parts inventory, so general (eg, non-chip shortage related) parts could also be missing.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (01-30-2023)