GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE suspension/handling vs X5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 E-550 4-matic Sport; '15 RAM, '15 X3, '15 Charger SRT
GLE suspension/handling vs X5

Reputation seems to be that the X5 will be more "sporty" in handling. I don't know if this is true as have only owned driven an X3 in recent years. Previous E550. What is the owners opinion who have driven both recent GLE and X5? If the GLE is driven in sport mode does that change suspension setting or only the transmission shift points? Will be making decision on 2024 2 row models for mid size SUV by mid summer. The model changes are out but '24 pricing is not as far a I know.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:53 AM

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
I'm in the same decision process. My short list includes the GLE 450, The BMW X5 40i, and the X5 50e. I'm not really interested in the M or AMG models, but I do want a decent amount of power. I am curious as to whether the AirMatic suspension will actually be available on the 2024 GLE 450. BMW has air suspension standard on the X5 50e and optional on the X5 40i. Mercedes appears to be unable to deliver GLE 450s with the air suspension that they were ordered with. I don't know what BMWs record is. I'm not convinced that I like the new dash design in the X5, it looks a little clunky and not like BMWs previous well integrated designs. I currently have the GLE 550e plug in hybrid and the X5 50e looks interesting. The new GLE 400e is a non player due to the 4cyl motor Mercedes chose to mate with the electric drive.

I think the GLE 450 would probably be more comfortable with more room in the back seats than the X5. If the air suspension is actually available on the 2024 models, I would probably lean to the GLE 450.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
2024 Airmatic availability

Originally Posted by BlueYonder
I'm in the same decision process. My short list includes the GLE 450, The BMW X5 40i, and the X5 50e. I'm not really interested in the M or AMG models, but I do want a decent amount of power. I am curious as to whether the AirMatic suspension will actually be available on the 2024 GLE 450. BMW has air suspension standard on the X5 50e and optional on the X5 40i. Mercedes appears to be unable to deliver GLE 450s with the air suspension that they were ordered with. I don't know what BMWs record is. I'm not convinced that I like the new dash design in the X5, it looks a little clunky and not like BMWs previous well integrated designs. I currently have the GLE 550e plug in hybrid and the X5 50e looks interesting. The new GLE 400e is a non player due to the 4cyl motor Mercedes chose to mate with the electric drive.

I think the GLE 450 would probably be more comfortable with more room in the back seats than the X5. If the air suspension is actually available on the 2024 models, I would probably lean to the GLE 450.
Time will tell on Airmatic availability, but I think the fact that it's listed in the DOG is a good sign. With the cost to get it up to $7,310 with the required Pinnacle package, the take rate is going to be way down, so hopefully they can have enough supply.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:24 PM

I hope they can at least confirm availability at the time of order. I would hate to wait 3 - 4 months for the car and then have go through the hassle of refusing it because it didn't arrive as ordered.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
I hope they can at least confirm availability at the time of order. I would hate to wait 3 - 4 months for the car and then have go through the hassle of refusing it because it didn't arrive as ordered.
Given the lag time between orders and production that will never be a certainty because of the more JIT (Just In Time) parts system these days.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:49 PM

Spoke to a dealer 2 weeks ago and said his wife had the GLE and it rode fine and didn't really recommend the air suspension. Don't know if he knew something he wasn't saying. The bounce or floating would argue against my desire for a firm and controlled ride.
Old 02-20-2023, 01:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
GLE350
Originally Posted by mtnbenzer
Reputation seems to be that the X5 will be more "sporty" in handling. I don't know if this is true as have only owned driven an X3 in recent years. Previous E550. What is the owners opinion who have driven both recent GLE and X5? If the GLE is driven in sport mode does that change suspension setting or only the transmission shift points? Will be making decision on 2024 2 row models for mid size SUV by mid summer. The model changes are out but '24 pricing is not as far a I know.
Not sure which model you are cross shopping with the X5, but if it's the 350 I'd pay closer attention to the engine than the suspension. We just traded my wife's X5 for a 350 and there is no comparison between the BMW inline 6 vs the Mercedes 4 cylinder. The 4 cylinder while adequate, is noisy and underpowered IMO. My wife is no Mario Andretti so the vehicle works for her, but leaves me wanting more when I drive it. We considered the 450 briefly, but did not want any potential 48V headaches so went with the 350. The new 24 GLE's are all going to utilize the 48V system (for better or worse) so you won't face that decision. If I was replacing ours with a 2024 model today and unable to avoid the 48V system, I would step up to the 450.

Suspension wise I do like the ride of the GLE. We have the standard steel suspension, 21" AMG wheels and non run flat tires. While it's a little more "floaty" than the X5, it still feels sporty and controlled to me. Our X5 had 20" Pirelli run flats which definitely ride harsher than non run flat tires. That may be perceived as a more "sporty" feel for some, but I prefer the GLE here.

Good luck with your search. They are both really nice vehicles in their own regard.
The following users liked this post:
mtnbenzer (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 01:42 PM

Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts
2021 GLE450
I test drove them both twice, but in different conditions and on very different roads. I wasn't given an opportunity to really put either through its paces on a nice twisty road unfortunately. As I recall the BMW felt a bit tighter to me in its standard configuration, but no less comfortable. Both inline sixes are plenty smooth, but the BMW's felt a bit punchier, and I definitely preferred its ZF 8-speed to the Mercedes' 9-speed. A year and half into ownership I've grown to really like my 450's ride on conventional springs, and on the rare occasion I switch the suspension into sport mode, it firms things up nicely without making the ride overly harsh. The transmission's software update has finally tamed the rough downshifting I dealt with for so long. I still get the occasional harsh kick-down or two when rolling to a stop, but not as bad or as frequently as I had been.
mtnbenzer (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 01:55 PM

My current GLE (previous model) has the steel springs and the ride is very harsh on city streets with the 20" wheels. There are no suspension settings available to improve the ride. Maybe the newer version is better. I also like the idea of being able to raise the vehicle higher if needed. After riding out Hurricane Ian, this might have made in difference in being able to transit through some areas where the road was flooded.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5

The GLE 450 suspension is soft in Comfort mode so you might like it best I ran mine in I mode with the suspension set to Sport. Sport, was compliant with less of a boaty feel on bumps/lean on curves. Either are a good balance of softer vs normal depending on user preference. The GLE has a large rear seating area and the cargo area is wider than BMW. IMO, the run flat tires on BMW make the ride/handling inferior to the Mercedes. The compact spare is a better option than the runflats. Around town a RF might get you by but driving at 30-40 mph for a longer distance doesn’t work out.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:49 PM

I recently had a Dodge Charger SRT with regular high performance tires and only carried a SLIME kit with inflator. Never had to use it but had more storage space under the rear trunk cover. I suppose one could run regular tires on the X5 as well with either temporary flat or SLIME kit. Other than a sidewall flat I felt comfortable with that. If I remember the '23 GLE I looked at had regular tires but a temporary tire. That also leaves a little extra space over a full size spare. Don't know if GLE even comes with run flats?
Old 02-20-2023, 02:55 PM

2021 GLE450
Don't know if GLE even comes with run flats?
Runflats are available.
mtnbenzer (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 03:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
GLE350
I recently had a Dodge Charger SRT with regular high performance tires and only carried a SLIME kit with inflator. Never had to use it but had more storage space under the rear trunk cover. I suppose one could run regular tires on the X5 as well with either temporary flat or SLIME kit. Other than a sidewall flat I felt comfortable with that. If I remember the '23 GLE I looked at had regular tires but a temporary tire. That also leaves a little extra space over a full size spare. Don't know if GLE even comes with run flats?
You can order a spare for the X5. Most dealers don't, but if you custom order you can get one from the factory and ditch the run flats when you need new tires.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:26 PM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
SUV
I have 40i and occasionally drive her 350. Both come with 21. No air suspension. Here are my opinions:
X5 is more planted. We got the 350 after the X5 so that was the first thing I felt. The GLE feels very fast when you hit certain speed, and it floats. Brakes are better, engine is more responsive and very responsive in S+ on X5 where nothing is noticeable in S in GLE. Acceleration is day and night of course because of engine difference. X5 rides a lot rougher due to less sidewall and harder suspension. X5’s 21s are also RF so that makes it worse. GLE is super smooth and excellent for long distance especially with more room inside. X5 is ridiculously tight. In conclusion X5 is more sporty where GLE is more luxurious.
TonyF61 (02-22-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 07:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE W167
Originally Posted by HotRodW
I test drove them both twice, but in different conditions and on very different roads. ...but the BMW's felt a bit punchier.
My experience is similar - test drove X5 and 2020 GLEs. X5 is really well put together and super responsive and agile including in corners with very less body roll, but the ride is a bit 'tight'. GLE 450 - and mine has the airmatic suspension - is in a different league, comfort wise. It just glides on the roads. But the GLE drive is a little less 'involving' than BMW. BMW X5 is like a super well built steed, and GLE is an elephant which is just as fast.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:38 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
W213 AMG 2019 E63S Wagon
HotRodW, I have to ask... I have a 2021 GLE 450 with regular spring suspension also (not arimatic)... I thought when we went to sport mode, it was a gear shifting/ RPM change, not a suspension change. I was thinking that if one had the airmatic, it would lower the car and change the ride in sport mode. Please let me know what you experience, because I quit driving in sport because I thought there was no change to the suspension, yet in Eco mode I like the shifting better than in other modes. Thanks for the advice.
HotRodW (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 10:47 PM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by Pioneer222
HotRodW, I have to ask... I have a 2021 GLE 450 with regular spring suspension also (not arimatic)... I thought when we went to sport mode, it was a gear shifting/ RPM change, not a suspension change. I was thinking that if one had the airmatic, it would lower the car and change the ride in sport mode. Please let me know what you experience, because I quit driving in sport because I thought there was no change to the suspension, yet in Eco mode I like the shifting better than in other modes. Thanks for the advice.
You know that's a good question. I recall the salesperson assuring me the suspension does change in Sport mode on all models, but I noticed when you switch the Dynamic mode to Sport, the graphics do not specifically show if the suspension changes. It is very possible that the change in drivetrain behavior has my brain feeling something with the suspension that in reality isn't there -- a placebo if you will. I'm not tracking it after all. But then the description on the MB website does mention suspension, so there's that ... Official answer: I honestly don't know.

Old 02-21-2023, 10:33 AM

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Subaru BRZ
Originally Posted by Pioneer222
You know that's a good question. I recall the salesperson assuring me the suspension does change in Sport mode on all models, but I noticed when you switch the Dynamic mode to Sport, the graphics do not specifically show if the suspension changes. It is very possible that the change in drivetrain behavior has my brain feeling something with the suspension that in reality isn't there -- a placebo if you will. I'm not tracking it after all. But then the description on the MB website does mention suspension, so there's that ... Official answer: I honestly don't know.

With standard (not air) suspension, the different modes should still adjust the damping settings I think. So ride height wont change, but stiffness should.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 356 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
I believe the standard steel springs are not adjuatable on the GLE> I believe Sport mode only changes the suspension formness on Air ride cars.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by CarLover73
My experience is similar - test drove X5 and 2020 GLEs. X5 is really well put together and super responsive and agile including in corners with very less body roll, but the ride is a bit 'tight'. GLE 450 - and mine has the airmatic suspension - is in a different league, comfort wise. It just glides on the roads. But the GLE drive is a little less 'involving' than BMW. BMW X5 is like a super well built steed, and GLE is an elephant which is just as fast.
How does it handle when in the sport mode? Much difference from the comfort mode?
Old 02-21-2023, 03:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE
I test drove them both twice, but in different conditions and on very different roads. I wasn't given an opportunity to really put either through its paces on a nice twisty road unfortunately. As I recall the BMW felt a bit tighter to me in its standard configuration, but no less comfortable. Both inline sixes are plenty smooth, but the BMW's felt a bit punchier, and I definitely preferred its ZF 8-speed to the Mercedes' 9-speed. A year and half into ownership I've grown to really like my 450's ride on conventional springs, and on the rare occasion I switch the suspension into sport mode, it firms things up nicely without making the ride overly harsh. The transmission's software update has finally tamed the rough downshifting I dealt with for so long. I still get the occasional harsh kick-down or two when rolling to a stop, but not as bad or as frequently as I had been.
hi Hotrod, what transmission software update? I have had nightmares with my dealership, who are refusing to admit to the rough downshifting, and just shrugging it off until i gave up. Can you help me with a software version details please? The worst downshifting in any car i have driven.
Old 02-21-2023, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I think it's an OTA update, or at least mine was.

Edit: It looks like it can be applied at the dealership level, too. Or are they different updates?

Last edited by mikapen; 02-21-2023 at 06:37 PM.
Kadimaher (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 03:41 PM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by Kadimaher
hi Hotrod, what transmission software update? I have had nightmares with my dealership, who are refusing to admit to the rough downshifting, and just shrugging it off until i gave up. Can you help me with a software version details please? The worst downshifting in any car i have driven.
From the service summary. Note that if it was in fact this particular software update that made the significant difference, it took some time to take effect. The downshifting was at least as bad on the drive home from the dealership.

The following 3 users liked this post by HotRodW:
Kadimaher (02-21-2023), mikapen (02-21-2023), wildta (02-23-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 05:55 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
W213 AMG 2019 E63S Wagon
HotRodW & Panda SPUR, Thanks much - I will have to start using the Sport mode more often to see what I "perceive" - I guess I could try to see how the body roll is in each mode, on the same curves I drive daily... good stuff/ great forum!
The following 2 users liked this post by Pioneer222:
HotRodW (02-21-2023), PandaSPUR (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 03:09 PM

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
Complained about hard downshifts a few months ago. No updates applied, tech performed "Adtaptions" of trans module, and it has been fine since.

Kadimaher (02-22-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE suspension/handling vs X5