GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

The illuminated star accessory question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 10:11 AM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2023 GLE 450
The illuminated star accessory question

Is the illuminated star is always on? or it is on only when the headlight is on?
Old 04-02-2023, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 661 Likes on 490 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by manbeing
Is the illuminated star is always on? or it is on only when the headlight is on?
I can't answer that question because I have distronic but I want to let you know that you can't have the illuminated star with the distronic feature because they embed all of the sensors for it into the big star area.
The following users liked this post:
Lanzz (04-02-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 01:31 AM

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts
2021 GLE 350, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2023 Polestar 2, '73 Alfa GTV
Only when the headlights are on. But yes, you can have Distronic and the illuminated star together, the necessary short range radar is fitted to all GLE’s. However the factory won’t do it, you need to have RJ Automotive enable it after market as we did.

Apparently there is a long range radar fitted by the factory behind the star which cannot combined with Distronic but I’m not sure what that does as it works fine in our car. Someone more qualified them me may know the answer for that.

Last edited by Aggie57; 04-03-2023 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:23 AM

2023 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Aggie57
Only when the headlights are on. But yes, you can have Distronic and the illuminated star together, the necessary short range radar is fitted to all GLE’s. However the factory won’t do it, you need to have RJ Automotive enable it after market as we did.

Apparently there is a long range radar fitted by the factory behind the star which cannot combined with Distronic but I’m not sure what that does as it works fine in our car. Someone more qualified them me may know the answer for that.
thank you. Just wanted to know if it happens with your manufacture-installed illuminated star? The reason I am asking. I have been very confused about it.
I have called 4 dealers. 2 said it is always on and another 2 said it will be on only when the headlights are on.
Aggie57 (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 12:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
GLE350
thank you. Just wanted to know if it happens with your manufacture-installed illuminated star? The reason I am asking. I have been very confused about it.
I have called 4 dealers. 2 said it is always on and another 2 said it will be on only when the headlights are on.
2023 GLE 350 and it is only on when the headlights are on.
manbeing (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 12:10 PM

Apologies but I think I'm about to make a liar out of myself - to be double sure I went and took a look and what do you know, it's illuminated as soon as I start the car even with the lights in one of the park positions. However that was in a dark garage and as there is no true 'off' position on the light switch maybe the light sensor is still switching it on? I'll take a look again next time I'm out in it.

But yes, our car has the manufacturer installed illuminated star. We bought it off the lot, I almost didn't buy it because of this option as it meant the factory Distronic wasn't fitted and that was a show stopper for me. I went home that night and saw I could have Distronic enabled after-market so went back the next day and bought the car.
Old 04-03-2023, 01:21 PM

2023 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Aggie57
Apologies but I think I'm about to make a liar out of myself - to be double sure I went and took a look and what do you know, it's illuminated as soon as I start the car even with the lights in one of the park positions. However that was in a dark garage and as there is no true 'off' position on the light switch maybe the light sensor is still switching it on? I'll take a look again next time I'm out in it.

But yes, our car has the manufacturer installed illuminated star. We bought it off the lot, I almost didn't buy it because of this option as it meant the factory Distronic wasn't fitted and that was a show stopper for me. I went home that night and saw I could have Distronic enabled after-market so went back the next day and bought the car.
No problem. If you get a chance to drive your car out in the daytime, could you please let me know if it is still on when the headlamps are off. If it is always on, I will remove this option from my order and add the driver asssitance pkg.
Thank you so much!
(BTW, do you know how the light on illuminated running board works? -- I assume it will be turned on when the door is open and be turned off when the door is closed)
Old 04-03-2023, 01:30 PM

To be frank if you're choosing between driver assistance and the illuminated star, driver assistance wins hands down. There's a bunch of stuff in that including speed limit display etc., I really don't know why most of that stuff isn't standard.

Can't help with the running board sorry, we don't have that on our car.
Neurobit (04-04-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 05:27 PM

2023 GLE 450
I have found this option is not consistent on the cars.
I went to two dealers. Each has one car equipped with the illuminated star.
One is always on and the other is on when the headlights turn on.
The same year and the same model cars.

Last edited by manbeing; 04-03-2023 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
​​​​​Odd.

You were there after dark, so neither headlight setting was on "Manual" I hope. Otherwise you wouldn't have seen headlights On at all.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:10 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
GLE350
That's odd. I do know that the illuminated star is a VPC installed accessory so it does not get installed at the factory in Alabama.

That may explain why the install is inconsistent. Perhaps some of them are tying into a different circuit which would have the star on at all times?

Or it could be the local dealer who added the star and the mechanic there wired it differently.

If it was installed at the VPC it should be on the Monroney label.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:14 AM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
This sounds like evidence that the operation is configurable. I suggest that you tell them how you want it to work and get their confirmation that they will do it that way. If they do it wrong then you can tell them to make the necessary change.