GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Full-length roof rack?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 07:32 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
'22 GLE 350e
Full-length roof rack?

I've tried searching, but can only find mentions of roof bars on here.
I'm looking for a full-size roof rack to fit my '22 GLE 350e with panoramic sunroof. I'd like fit a roof tent, and would like the rack for protecting the roof and maybe some extra storage.

Frontrunner only lists a half-length one, which is smaller than the roof tent... might as well put it on bars then.
I contacted Frontrunner, and they say the full-length rack for the W166 doesn't fit the V167 because the roof slopes too much? Does anyone know how different the mounting is, and if it could maybe be adapted to fit?
Or any other options? I've seen an ARB one on euro4x4parts, but it seems generic and doesn't explicitly list a compatible mounting...

Any other options that I've missed?
Old 05-01-2023, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by elbekko
I've tried searching, but can only find mentions of roof bars on here.
I'm looking for a full-size roof rack to fit my '22 GLE 350e with panoramic sunroof. I'd like fit a roof tent, and would like the rack for protecting the roof and maybe some extra storage.

Frontrunner only lists a half-length one, which is smaller than the roof tent... might as well put it on bars then.
I contacted Frontrunner, and they say the full-length rack for the W166 doesn't fit the V167 because the roof slopes too much? Does anyone know how different the mounting is, and if it could maybe be adapted to fit?
Or any other options? I've seen an ARB one on euro4x4parts, but it seems generic and doesn't explicitly list a compatible mounting...

Any other options that I've missed?
I am not aware of any. This vehicle is not one commonly used for such an application. My guess is the best option is to mount something to cross bars.
Old 05-02-2023, 02:18 AM

'22 GLE 350e
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I am not aware of any. This vehicle is not one commonly used for such an application. My guess is the best option is to mount something to cross bars.
Thanks for the answer.
I'm aware I'm being a bit special. But the GLE ticked the most boxes of the cars I looked at, so went with that
Can someone comment on how different the roof rails are between the W166 and V167? I'm still tempted to try the W166 roof rack and seeing if I can adapt it.
Or indeed, mount a rack on cross bars. But that starts getting very high very quickly, I'm afraid.

For the record (easier now that I'm on my computer instead of on my phone), this is the half-length Frontrunner rack that fits the V167: https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...-rack-kit.html
And this is the full-length rack that fits the W166: https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...-rack-kit.html
The feet that attach to the roof rails look awfully similar in their renders, and I can't see why it wouldn't work with a spacer here and there if the roof sloping is the problem.
Old 05-02-2023, 02:38 AM

'22 GLE 350e
Just managed to find this one from Thule, that looks to be a good one. Strange that it didn't come up in Google searches before.
Too bad it doesn't include pictures of it mounted on a GLE. Looks like it mounts using these roof bars, so probably still gets fairly high up.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 650 Likes on 483 Posts
MB
I've seen this on a GLE before:
https://roofnest.com/product/falcon/

It can mount a set of crossbars on top of the tent for more storage. Do you already have a roof tent?

Last edited by wildta; 05-02-2023 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-02-2023, 11:20 AM

'22 GLE 350e
Originally Posted by wildta
Do you already have a roof tent?
Yes, but not a hardshell like the one you linked.

Shown here on my Range Rover:

It can mount on roof bars, but I'd like to protect the roof a bit more on the GLE (I care a bit more about the paint there...). Hence a full-length roof rack that the tent mount on, and the tent cover can go on. And some extra storage next to the tent could be nice as well, as most of the car is taken up by a 60kg Kangal
Old 05-02-2023, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Yes, but not a hardshell like the one you linked.

Shown here on my Range Rover:

It can mount on roof bars, but I'd like to protect the roof a bit more on the GLE (I care a bit more about the paint there...). Hence a full-length roof rack that the tent mount on, and the tent cover can go on. And some extra storage next to the tent could be nice as well, as most of the car is taken up by a 60kg Kangal
Maybe get 4 crossbars instead of two? Hopefully you find a solution.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Roof platform

Just managed to find this one from Thule, that looks to be a good one. Strange that it didn't come up in Google searches before.
Too bad it doesn't include pictures of it mounted on a GLE. Looks like it mounts using these roof bars, so probably still gets fairly high up.
Looks to me like the rack just uses the four feet (included), not the bars.
Old 05-04-2023, 04:09 PM

'22 GLE 350e
Looks to me like the rack just uses the four feet (included), not the bars.
Indeed. I've ordered that one now, should be here by the end of the month (backordered even though it shows as in stock, of course).
Old 05-04-2023, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Indeed. I've ordered that one now, should be here by the end of the month (backordered even though it shows as in stock, of course).
Be aware, depending on where the feet are, you may not be able to open the sunroof. You can't with the OEM bars.
The following users liked this post:
wildta (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Be aware, depending on where the feet are, you may not be able to open the sunroof. You can't with the OEM bars.
I'll have to make a mental note to open my sunroof while installing my future crossbars. Still figuring out what set to go with.
Old 05-05-2023, 01:17 AM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by wildta
I'll have to make a mental note to open my sunroof while installing my future crossbars. Still figuring out what set to go with.
I have the Thule Aeroblade Edge, which are quite low profile. When I had them installed I also had a cargo box installed at the same time, so I never got to test if I could open the panoramic moonroof with just the crossbars on (the cargo box clamps get in the way so the roof definitely doesn't open with that). I wondered out of curiosity for the last couple of years if it would work.

Last week I finally removed the cargo box and put it in storage, so I got to try out the moonroof with just the crossbars. Turns out it sort of opens, which I'm decently pleased with. The crossbar at the front doesn't get in the way, so I can tilt the roof upwards without any problem, and I can slide it open towards the back. However, the rear bar does get in the way of the roof sliding all the way back, so I have to manually stop it after a few inches so it doesn't make contact. I could actually move the rear crossbar further back so that I could open the roof more (perhaps even all the way), but then I'd have to move the rear crossbar back towards the middle when I want to put the cargo box back on, because the cargo box installation clamps have a maximum distance between the front and rears.

Last edited by maalox; 05-05-2023 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-05-2023, 01:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,940 Likes on 3,103 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I used those Thule feet on W166 and they are good quality products that work. The rails themselves are similar between 166 and 167 but the curvature of the roof is different which may preclude using some products.

Old 05-05-2023, 02:00 AM

'22 GLE 350e
Good shout, I'll make sure to watch out for that.

Originally Posted by maalox
I have the Thule Aeroblade Edge, which are quite low profile. When I had them installed I also had a cargo box installed at the same time, so I never got to test if I could open the panoramic moonroof with just the crossbars on (the cargo box clamps get in the way so the roof definitely doesn't open with that). I wondered out of curiosity for the last couple of years if it would work.

Last week I finally removed the cargo box and put it in storage, so I got to try out the moonroof with just the crossbars. Turns out it sort of opens, which I'm decently pleased with. The crossbar at the front doesn't get in the way, so I can tilt the roof upwards without any problem, and I can slide it open towards the back. However, the rear bar does get in the way of the roof sliding all the way back, so I have to manually stop it after a few inches so it doesn't make contact. I could actually move the rear crossbar further back so that I could open the roof more (perhaps even all the way), but then I'd have to move the rear crossbar back towards the middle when I want to put the cargo box back on, because the cargo box installation clamps have a maximum distance between the front and rears.
Good to know, thanks. The feet I ordered should be the same, so should clear the sunroof then. Since the rack is full length, it shouldn't impede the sunroof opening? I'll keep a close eye on things.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:35 AM

'22 GLE 350e
Well, the Thule rack finally arrived.

True to Swedish form, it came flat-pack with some hex keys and assembly instructions. Nothing too difficult, but nice to be two people to do it.
First step was to put the front and rear crossbars in, with the feet attached, then put it on the car and get the rack aligned. Then back off the car, and put in the rest of the crossbars evenly spaced.

Some pictures (don't mind the state of my lawn and driveway).

Assembled:

Then put it all back on the car. Fully assembled it's fairly heavy at 24kg, and my not-so-tall girlfriend struggled a bit with the lift, but we managed. Dropped the rear air suspension with the button in the trunk, as for some reason it didn't want to listen to the button inside to drop it to access.
On the car:

The sunroof opens (just):

Roof slides fully back. There's some daylight there Might need to move the feet in slightly closer together

All in all, it seems like a decent rack. It looks a little bit wide, but I think that's because the car tapers up so much on top. It doesn't stick out past the base of the car at all.
Try to fit the tent on sometime soon. And hope it still fits in the parking garage at work...

For those who want regular roof bars that work with the sunroof: these are the same feet as used for the Thule roof bars, so they should work fine as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by elbekko:
EXTRAOLD (06-05-2023), jaxslk (06-05-2023)
Old 02-28-2024, 04:10 PM

Received 192 Likes on 143 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
I have these most days on my E350 and or E63, they have been on my GLS as well. I have three Rocky Mounts bike rails on them most of the time. They have zero issue with the weight of a couple of S-Works Levo's on it (@ 50lbs each). The Epic Evo is half the weight.

Amazon Amazon