GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

AC odor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gle 350
AC odor

Hi, I own a 2022 GLE 350. As the weather warmed up, I’ve noticed that when I turn my car on after it being off for few hours, my AC smells horrible. It only smells bad for about 10-15 seconds. After that it’s normal. It’s only happens with the AC. If I turn the heat on, it doesn’t smell. Has anyone faced a similar issue?

Thank you.
Old 07-19-2023, 03:02 PM

Received 203 Likes on 163 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
I have this as well and it has happened in nearly every vehicle I have owned and is not MB specific. Using the Rest option after shutting the vehicle off doesn't seem to help either. I live with it since it only lasts a few seconds after start up.
Old 07-20-2023, 11:51 PM

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
What I usually do, is about 5 to 10 minutes before arriving, I turn off the AC and leave the fan running. That usually give it enough time to dry the evaporator enough to remove most of the moisture on the system, which is what the likely cause of the smell.
The following users liked this post:
EL-34 (07-21-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,590 Likes on 1,170 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Harsh683
Hi, I own a 2022 GLE 350. As the weather warmed up, I’ve noticed that when I turn my car on after it being off for few hours, my AC smells horrible. It only smells bad for about 10-15 seconds. After that it’s normal. It’s only happens with the AC. If I turn the heat on, it doesn’t smell. Has anyone faced a similar issue?

Thank you.
This is more likely to happen if you use Recirc a lot.
I know cars without the fragrance option default from Recirc back to Fresh.
As I understand it, that fragrance option (can't remember its name) is supposed to open and close Recirc according to air quality, but in either case there should be enough fresh air across the exchanger to discourage mold.

Is your Recirc off most of the time? Or is it stuck on?
Old 07-21-2023, 06:35 AM

Received 203 Likes on 163 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by mikapen
For what it's worth, I don't use the recirc that much.
mikapen (07-21-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 07:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,924 Likes on 3,090 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Harsh683

Thank you.
Very common MB performance. Search this site and you will find the dirty sock smell reported across models and years. No solution but rather only a temporary treatment exists. MB does not know what they are doing in many areas of their business, AC design is one of those examples. It’s not the best, therefore it’s nothing.
Old 07-21-2023, 10:06 AM

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
2023 GLE 450
My last Benz ac smelled like vinegar when first switched on. Not sure there is a fix but it does help to run turn off the ac and continue the fan for a few minutes before you arrive to your destination. I have not had any issues with the GLE. I do turn it off as described and I’m the original owner this time, lol. I run it a lot right now since it’s been over 100 Fahrenheit a lot lately.

I should have added an easier and more pleasant way to clear out the AC after driving is after parking, turn off ac and turn the fan on high or max until the cool air is gone, much nicer then driver for 10 minutes without the ac.

Last edited by PLINYELDER; 07-22-2023 at 03:27 PM.
chassis (07-21-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 461 Posts
MB
Lots of helpful tips here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...urning-ac.html
chassis (07-21-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 01:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
Originally Posted by chassis
Very common MB performance. Search this site and you will find the dirty sock smell reported across models and years. No solution but rather only a temporary treatment exists. MB does not know what they are doing in many areas of their business, AC design is one of those examples. It’s not the best, therefore it’s nothing.
sadly i have to agree with this. we had many diff models of MB for 15 years and they all stunk like that, even fairly new ones within 18 months, even AMG. i would google and research and nothing really worked. dealer would replace filters to appease me, no dice. wet sock mildew smell always came back. we don't drive any differently in any of our other brand cars over the same period and NONE of them smelled like that. we just gave up and said it's a mercedes thing.

our "fix" was to spray lysol into the hood vents when the engine was on, but that only worked a few trips and the smell was back. i had a shop install a remote starter so that i could start it up as i was approaching the car so that the smell could come out of the vents before i was sitting in the seat. but it still was cringey to think what kind of mildew was being spewed by the ac vents into the cabin ... it was embarrassing sometimes driving friends or other kids and telling them oh roll down your windows, the smell will go away in a few seconds.

some forums would say, oh when you come back home turn off the AC and run the heat for 10 minutes. in summer temps and with kids in tow, i don't know how or why people think that is a solution!! and again, no other brand car i have had driven in the same way and parked in the same garage has had this kind of smell so...

still loved all of our MBs, but that AC odor just boggled my mind
chassis (07-21-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
My old Lexus use to leave a puddle of condensation on the garage floor after using the AC and parking the car. I noticed my 580 doesn't do that. Where does that condensation collect? I should note that I have the shield plate underneath my 580.
Old 07-21-2023, 02:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,924 Likes on 3,090 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by wildta
My old Lexus use to leave a puddle of condensation on the garage floor after using the AC and parking the car. I noticed my 580 doesn't do that. Where does that condensation collect? I should note that I have the shield plate underneath my 580.
If the condensation is not on your garage floor it’s puddled on the underbody shield. It doesn’t accumulate, rather it drains. Give it more time or park on a sloped surface and you will find where it dribbles out. Usually over top or near the transmission where it joins the engine block.
wildta (07-21-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 10:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by zengshengliu
What I usually do, is about 5 to 10 minutes before arriving, I turn off the AC and leave the fan running. That usually give it enough time to dry the evaporator enough to remove most of the moisture on the system, which is what the likely cause of the smell.
this man knows.

it dries moisture from the evaporator.

what I do is gain access to the evaporator if I can and use this..
https://nextzettusa.com/klima-cleane...cleaner-10-oz/

with my audi I could put the hose in the vent and spray. it would fall onto the evaporator and clean it well.

with my volvo the cabin air filter is right next to the evaporator so I spray it after removing the filter.

if my benz ac gets funky I'll see if I can access the evaporator.

the spray gets rid of the odor and generates much cooler air.
Old 07-22-2023, 12:30 AM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by EL-34
this man knows.

it dries moisture from the evaporator.

what I do is gain access to the evaporator if I can and use this..
https://nextzettusa.com/klima-cleane...cleaner-10-oz/

with my audi I could put the hose in the vent and spray. it would fall onto the evaporator and clean it well.

with my volvo the cabin air filter is right next to the evaporator so I spray it after removing the filter.

if my benz ac gets funky I'll see if I can access the evaporator.

the spray gets rid of the odor and generates much cooler air.
I used a similar product on my old Nissan. The drain hose is right next to the passenger panel, and I just disconnect it and spray the foam into it. The foam will expand and cover most of the coil. It not perfect since it will most likely leave some surface at the top un-touch (depend on the angle of the evaporator), but better than no cleaning at all.
But personally, when I am driving by myself, I would just take the heat for the last 5 to 10 minutes of the drive and let it air dry (or if you have the 48v system, just leave the car running for about 5 to 10 minutes after park. For most of the time, the car is able to keep the engine off while keeping the rest of the system running).
Old 07-22-2023, 08:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E350 Wagon w/AMG, 2018 GLC300 Selinite SUV w/AMG Night(sold) 2021 GLE450 AMG Night
Try BG Frigi Fresh or similar product designed for automotive AC. Remove the cabin filter and spray into the fresh air inlet with the blower on, ac off.
Also check the amount of condensate on the ground with AC on at idle. The question is why there is residual condensate in the evaporator housing causing odor. Partially restricted evaporator drain or is it a design issue?
Old 07-22-2023, 09:27 AM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
SUV
This is the most disturbing issue I have with BMW and Mercedes. I remember the smell from my X5 very early on, like only a few thousand on clock. I took to the dealership and they told:
1. I run Recir too much
2. I didn't run pre condition at the end of each drive. They say this is the advantage BMW gives you that no other band does
3. It is what it is. You live in a hot area of the country. When I told the manager that I didn't have this issue with my Lexus vehicles. The sad part kicked in, he indirectly admitted Lexus build quality was better.
What I did: 1, 2 and also I read on forums to run system at highest temp for a few minutes.
Result: I gave up. I just remote start the car before going or shut the middle vents off for a few minutes.
I was happy that the GLE didn't give me this problem until recently. It's about 10k now and it smells too.

Originally Posted by zengshengliu
Thanks I will try this to see if it helps. Seems like a simple thing to do. I'd rather not get under the car to get the stuff in.

Originally Posted by mikapen
This is more likely to happen if you use Recirc a lot.
I know cars without the fragrance option default from Recirc back to Fresh.
As I understand it, that fragrance option (can't remember its name) is supposed to open and close Recirc according to air quality, but in either case there should be enough fresh air across the exchanger to discourage mold.

Is this even possible? This is the most annoying feature on this GLE. It shuts off too fast on its own. BMW also does but much much longer. Lexus will only force off when you have Auto on.
Old 07-22-2023, 01:51 PM

2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by conditionone
Try BG Frigi Fresh or similar product designed for automotive AC. Remove the cabin filter and spray into the fresh air inlet with the blower on, ac off.
Also check the amount of condensate on the ground with AC on at idle. The question is why there is residual condensate in the evaporator housing causing odor. Partially restricted evaporator drain or is it a design issue?
the moisture just sits there and mold and bacteria grow.

the volvo design has the filter right against the evaporator so I bet the filter gets soaked if it's not allowed to dry.

the evaporator is cold so moisture in the air coming through it condenses. there's a drain for that water to go but when you don't let the coil dry before shutting off the car the moisture just sits on the coil.
Old 07-24-2023, 07:39 PM

2016 E350 Wagon w/AMG, 2018 GLC300 Selinite SUV w/AMG Night(sold) 2021 GLE450 AMG Night
the moisture just sits there and mold and bacteria grow.

the volvo design has the filter right against the evaporator so I bet the filter gets soaked if it's not allowed to dry.

the evaporator is cold so moisture in the air coming through it condenses. there's a drain for that water to go but when you don't let the coil dry before shutting off the car the moisture just sits on the coil.
The point is that moisture should not just sit there. The minimal amount of residual moisture that is present when the ac is turned off should drain and or evaporate so as to not cause mold or odor.
So again, could the drain be partially restricted or is there a design flaw that does not allow the evaporator case drain completely?
Old 07-24-2023, 08:25 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
The point is that moisture should not just sit there. The minimal amount of residual moisture that is present when the ac is turned off should drain and or evaporate so as to not cause mold or odor.
So again, could the drain be partially restricted or is there a design flaw that does not allow the evaporator case drain completely?
A blocked drain can definitely cause issue, but even when the drain is clear, there is still going to be condensation on the evaporator.
This is similar to when you take a can of soda out of the refrigerator. When a cold surface (evaporator) met warm surface, water will condensate on the surface, in this case, on the evaporator. There will always be some amount of water left on the surface, especially since evaporator is not a flat surface, so if you didn't let it dry, overtime, mold and bacteria will gather, causing the odor.
The following 2 users liked this post by zengshengliu:
EL-34 (07-25-2023), mikapen (07-24-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 12:25 AM

2022 GLE 450
exactly. just look at an evaporator...
https://www.dcpowersolutions.com.au/...ore-for-holden

the response should be how does water not get removed? most of them are also situated vertically. if they were horizontal you'd think there would be a better chance for the condensation to freely drain.

so in the meantime just follow the advice of the white haired folk.
Old 07-25-2023, 06:36 AM

Or the guy that has 40 years of experience as a professional mechanic/tech.
Old 07-25-2023, 10:17 PM

2022 GLE 450
Or the guy that has 40 years of experience as a professional mechanic/tech.
i wouldn't brag about that and your ignorance. and yet you still don't know this. do what you like. my ac is fresh.
ok boomer?

Last edited by EL-34; 07-25-2023 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-26-2023, 06:29 AM

i wouldn't brag about that and your ignorance. and yet you still don't know this. do what you like. my ac is fresh.
ok boomer?
What is it that I don't know? OP has an odor from his AC. First eliminate the mold causing the odor with Frigifresh. Then diagnose why there is condensate left in the evaporator case that can cause an odor. Is the evaporator drain partially restricted or was the drain not installed properly during assembly?
Why does this not make sense to you or better how would you fix the problem?
Old 07-26-2023, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Thankfully no one here is getting only hot air from the AC because that means your evaporator probably needs to be replaced. You have to remove the entire dash to do so, the same goes for the replacement of a $35 actuator which I had completed under warranty a few months ago:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mercedes_be...ator_on_a_167/
Old 07-26-2023, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,590 Likes on 1,170 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by wildta
Thankfully no one here is getting only hot air from the AC because that means your evaporator probably needs to be replaced. You have to remove the entire dash to do so, the same goes for the replacement of a $35 actuator which I had completed under warranty a few months ago:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mercedes_be...ator_on_a_167/
It could also be a completely frozen evaporator, which could be caused by an obstructed drain or low refrigerant.
Old 07-26-2023, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
So has anyone successfully asked the dealer to service under warranty or as part of the A/B service and attempt to remove the odor using one of those cleaners mentioned above?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AC odor