GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2021 GLE350: Tire Replacement Price Check

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 07:55 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
GLE350 (2021), 991.2 (2019)
2021 GLE350: Tire Replacement Price Check

The title pretty much sums it up, I'd like to get your input regarding switching from Pirelli to Michelin, and a quick price check.

I currently have:
Front 275/45/R21 / Rear 315/40/R21 Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season

At 22k miles, the front tires are pretty much shot. I'll give them a 2,000-3,000 miles, then I'll begin to feel uneasy. Rear tires are better, probably good for another 5,000-8,000 miles.
But overall pretty disappointing in terms of durability.

We have a trip of around 2,000 miles coming up in two weeks, after that I'd like to replace the tires. I am thinking about the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S.
Of all places I looked, I found them at amazon with local installation for $1,321 plus tax and -5% Prime Card. So call it $1,350 out-the-door.
Does that sound reasonable in today's environment, and also what views do the experts have regarding the Michelins?

We are in Florida, so no snow, but decent rain from time to time.

Thank you!
Old 07-21-2023, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 661 Likes on 490 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by CMFUSA
The title pretty much sums it up, I'd like to get your input regarding switching from Pirelli to Michelin, and a quick price check.

I currently have:

At 22k miles, the front tires are pretty much shot. I'll give them a 2,000-3,000 miles, then I'll begin to feel uneasy. Rear tires are better, probably good for another 5,000-8,000 miles.

We have a trip of around 2,000 miles coming up in two weeks, after that I'd like to replace the tires. I am thinking about the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S.
Of all places I looked, I found them at amazon with local installation for $1,321 plus tax and -5% Prime Card. So call it $1,350 out-the-door.
Does that sound reasonable in today's environment, and also what views do the experts have regarding the Michelins?

Thank you!
Cross reference prices here:
https://www.mbusatirecenter.com/
Dealer prices vary so check prices at all the ones you're willing to drive to.

Along with the usual online places like tire rack, simple tire, and discount tire.
The following 2 users liked this post by wildta:
CMFUSA (07-22-2023), mikapen (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 09:15 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
If you’re talking a road trip, do yourself a favor and put the new tires on before you go. Often times the importance of good tires is underestimated. Don’t forget it’s the only part of the vehicle that is touching the road. Just some friendly advice.
BTW , my GLE came with Coopers , 20 inch, and I was somewhat disappointed. I was hoping to get one of the other brands used for the GLE. With over 18k miles on them, they seem to be holding up pretty well, not thinking about replacing them. If I had to replace them I would probably go with the Michelin
The following users liked this post:
jaxslk (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 09:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 GLE 450
My 2023 GLE 450 came with the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S, same size as yours. Only 3000 miles on them, but I find them very quiet, and smooth running. No experience in rain/snow. Just hot So. Cal roads.
I am a Michelin fan, having them on past few cars (Porsche Macan and Audi Q5).
I would definitely get new tires before a 2k trip. Safety First!

Last edited by smholl; 07-22-2023 at 09:53 AM.
F18BEN (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Pirellis

I currently have:

Thank you!
You been autocrossing that thing? I have the same Pirellis (now 4 years old) and at 33k miles I have 8/32" tread front and rear. They only started with 10/32", so they're still at 80% tread (66% life if I go to 4/32").
Old 07-22-2023, 01:17 PM

Thank you all for your advice and concerns. Maybe I was a bit harsh when I said "they (the Pirellis) are shot". They probably look worse than they are, especially the front tire's outside areas.
Nevertheless, I am happy to replace them if that's the consensus. I share all of your views on safety, that's why I am probably overly careful and early when it comes to replacing my tires. Normally, I tend to never get close to the wear bars in the threads.

Please have a look for yourself and tell me what you think of the condition with regard to a trip. As a non-auto expert, I would certainly appreciate your views.
And given your feedback so far (quieter ride), I am leaning towards the Michelins. MB seems about $500 more expensive in my area, and the best offer for the Pirellis I found was about $200 more.

Last edited by CMFUSA; 07-22-2023 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2023, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 GLE 450
Judging by your photos, I personally would get new tires - Michelins .

You never know what kind of weather can turn up unexpectedly.
Have a great trip.
CMFUSA (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Thank you all for your advice and concerns. Maybe I was a bit harsh when I said "they (the Pirellis) are shot". They probably look worse than they are, especially the front tire's outside areas.
Nevertheless, I am happy to replace them if that's the consensus. I share all of your views on safety, that's why I am probably overly careful and early when it comes to replacing my tires. Normally, I tend to never get close to the wear bars in the threads.

Please have a look for yourself and tell me what you think of the condition with regard to a trip. As a non-auto expert, I would certainly appreciate your views.
And given your feedback so far (quieter ride), I am leaning towards the Michelins. MB seems about $500 more expensive in my area, and the best offer for the Pirellis I found was about $200 more.
Why are the front tires so chewed up? It looks like you've been driving on very coarse gravel (but the rears aren't the same) or been doing hard cornering.

Judging by the wear bars, which indicate 2/32" tread left, it looks like you have 4/32" or a little more. I think they would be fine for your trip, but replace them before Winter. Michelin Primacy Tour A/S should be fine for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by GregW / Oregon:
CMFUSA (07-22-2023), mikapen (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 02:26 PM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
2021 GLE450
That's not typical wear unless you drive the snot out of your car. You might have gotten a bad batch of tires. Have you asked the dealership to chime in? I wouldn't keep them on any longer than necessary, but I also wouldn't invest in new rubber until you're sure MB won't at least help.
Old 07-22-2023, 03:07 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. I have a suspicion about the worn front tires, as all of my (our) cars have the same problem, once my wife starts driving them. This happened to a Grand Cherokee, two E350s, and now the GLE and a Porsche.

We have a driveway made out of relatively coarse concrete, and my wife (I love her dearly, she told me so) has to make four tight 90 degree turns on the driveway every time she leaves the house. She tends to make at least two of these turns of the steering wheel while at a standstill. First, she stops the car while closing the garage door and turns the steering wheel while waiting, then she turns it another time while not moving forward when going from "R" to "D". I have sat next to her numerous times and asked her to give the front wheels a couple of inches to move while turning, but in the end it's of no use. Happy wife, happy life. But that would be a possible explanation for the chewed out front tires, given that she leaves the house at least twice a day and the ambient temperature is always around 90 degrees.

Last edited by CMFUSA; 07-22-2023 at 03:10 PM.
HotRodW (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 03:43 PM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
2021 GLE450
Thanks for your thoughts. I have a suspicion about the worn front tires, as all of my (our) cars have the same problem, once my wife starts driving them. This happened to a Grand Cherokee, two E350s, and now the GLE and a Porsche.

We have a driveway made out of relatively coarse concrete, and my wife (I love her dearly, she told me so) has to make four tight 90 degree turns on the driveway every time she leaves the house. She tends to make at least two of these turns of the steering wheel while at a standstill. First, she stops the car while closing the garage door and turns the steering wheel while waiting, then she turns it another time while not moving forward when going from "R" to "D". I have sat next to her numerous times and asked her to give the front wheels a couple of inches to move while turning, but in the end it's of no use. Happy wife, happy life. But that would be a possible explanation for the chewed out front tires, given that she leaves the house at least twice a day and the ambient temperature is always around 90 degrees.
That makes sense - especially since you've seen that kind of wear before. Of course that raises the question of what would happen if you did file a claim against a mileage warranty? Curious to know how a tire manufacturer would respond.
CMFUSA (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Why are the front tires so chewed up? It looks like you've been driving on very coarse gravel (but the rears aren't the same) or been doing hard cornering.

Judging by the wear bars, which indicate 2/32" tread left, it looks like you have 4/32" or a little more. I think they would be fine for your trip, but replace them before Winter. Michelin Primacy Tour A/S should be fine for you.
I agree with the measurement estimates on the fronts, and the rears have a lot of life left.

I also agree that you ( @CMFUSA ) should be fine on a trip, but think about replacing when you return.

The fronts should be okay on wet pavement, but I'd be cautious in standing water.

I also agree that those Michelins would be a great match for your 350, and give you better wear. Get the MO Mercedes designation.

Last edited by mikapen; 07-22-2023 at 04:40 PM.
CMFUSA (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 05:00 PM

Thanks to all three of you. That's exactly what I will do then.

I checked all other places for the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S (275/315) and amazon did end up being the best offer, $1,348 including installation, taxes, fees and amazon cash back.
Appointment in one month from now, with a trip Tampa-Atlanta (1100 mi round trip) in the meantime, plus a couple of local miles. I will report back on the Michelins.

Thank you all again.

Last edited by CMFUSA; 07-22-2023 at 05:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CMFUSA:
HotRodW (07-22-2023), mikapen (07-22-2023)
Old 07-23-2023, 01:37 AM

Received 103 Likes on 53 Posts
2004 CLK320 Cab, 2020 GLE350
In early June (4) 275/50R20 | 109H Michelin Primacy Tour A/S $1354 out the door at Discount Tire for our 2020 GLE350.
Old 07-24-2023, 05:55 AM
SPONSOR

Received 376 Likes on 226 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
Hey uh just chiming in. When you're buying tires, you're buying at MAP anyway so theres no point in buying based on price if everybody has to sell them for the same price. I would buy based on service and I highly recommend America's Tire/Discount Tire for their service. Pirelli makes not-great tires. I learned this lesson when I was at the dealer. Also on my 911 they came with Pirelli PZero and both that and the all-season version were well below par for what else is out there, they hated heat, sidewall rollover, didn't give me good feedback, and they wore like I was driving on bandaids. You also VERY much want to buy local for the warranty and road hazard coverage by a big box chain that you can redeem anywhere, and like I said, you're going to need service, not a deal if an incident comes or tires wear quicker than their warranty which on the Mercedes the way I drive, they uh, do.

As for when to buy tires. If you're going to go on a long trip and have to buy tires later this year anyway, why buy them later? It's like getting fresh tires after a track day and not getting to enjoy them. Them boys are definitely done though and the noise is going to start getting bad

I would consider the Continental CrossContact LX25. They wear much better than the Primacy Tour A/S and I consider them a better match for the GLE platform. The Primacy aren't the competitor either, they're like a Prius tire. Better wear means you're going to enjoy the prime condition of those tires for much longer. Most tires I start noticing a dropoff in enjoyment after 50% and it's a game of how long I can tolerate it.

The Michelin you're looking for is the Crossclimate, which is a less performing tire than the LX25.

https://toptirereview.com/continenta...s-climate-suv/

Remember to buy Amsoil

Chris Tran, Service Manager/Owner
Amsoil Independent Dealer #7236674
Old 07-24-2023, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by ChrisHimself
Hey uh just chiming in. When you're buying tires, you're buying at MAP anyway so theres no point in buying based on price if everybody has to sell them for the same price. I would buy based on service and I highly recommend America's Tire/Discount Tire for their service. Pirelli makes not-great tires. I learned this lesson when I was at the dealer. Also on my 911 they came with Pirelli PZero and both that and the all-season version were well below par for what else is out there, they hated heat, sidewall rollover, didn't give me good feedback, and they wore like I was driving on bandaids. You also VERY much want to buy local for the warranty and road hazard coverage by a big box chain that you can redeem anywhere, and like I said, you're going to need service, not a deal if an incident comes or tires wear quicker than their warranty which on the Mercedes the way I drive, they uh, do.

As for when to buy tires. If you're going to go on a long trip and have to buy tires later this year anyway, why buy them later? It's like getting fresh tires after a track day and not getting to enjoy them. Them boys are definitely done though and the noise is going to start getting bad

I would consider the Continental CrossContact LX25. They wear much better than the Primacy Tour A/S and I consider them a better match for the GLE platform. The Primacy aren't the competitor either, they're like a Prius tire. Better wear means you're going to enjoy the prime condition of those tires for much longer. Most tires I start noticing a dropoff in enjoyment after 50% and it's a game of how long I can tolerate it.

The Michelin you're looking for is the Crossclimate, which is a less performing tire than the LX25.

https://toptirereview.com/continenta...s-climate-suv/

Remember to buy Amsoil
Interesting article in the link. However I don't think they have tested MO tires on a Mercedes - but the Pirelli is actually not a bad tire using the Mercedes MO spec.

I agree that the Continental LX25 (my OE) is a great tire, outstanding in the Wet and aquits itself nicely on the track. Mileage is turning out to be better than expected.

A couple of comments though, it's manufacturers suggested retail price and prices do vary. Sometimes the dealer is cheapest, sometimes not, but worth checking.
The Michelin cross climate doesn't have a fitment in the 315 size.
I've always found that the tire is performed better after they've lost 50% of their tread, not worse, except in standing water, where less than 4/32 can be challenging.

If you are looking for great tire mileage, the Michelin primacy looks like it would do quite well, and in MO spec will outperform the suspension of a GLE 350.

And it looks like he has 5/32 on the fronts, so I don't think there's any need to throw them away before taking a trip.

Last edited by mikapen; 07-24-2023 at 11:39 AM.