Metal click when doing slow maneuvers, happens after releasing brake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 727 Likes on 541 Posts
GLE 580
Metal click when doing slow maneuvers, happens after releasing brake

It's been warmer where I live so I've been rolling down the window more. I notice when doing slow maneuvers like backing out of my garage and driveway, parking spaces, right turns after stop signs, 3 point turns (all slow turning maneuvers while applying the brakes and then releasing them and turning), I will hear a metallic sounding click (like if you banged two metal wrenches together only a few inches apart), and there's only one click. This usually happens when the car is cold or parked. You can't hear it when the windows are rolled up but you can definitely hear it when they are rolled down.

For example, when backing out of my driveway, making a full stop, and then shifting to drive, when I start moving forward I will hear the click but it's not immediately after letting go of the brake--it occurs after rolling forward several feet after releasing the brake. It's like something is releasing after being stuck together maybe?

Any ideas what is causing this noise?

Last edited by wildta; 08-27-2023 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-27-2023, 10:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C63S, 2020 GLE580
I have the same thing on my 2020 GLE580. Been doing it since new and dealer wasn't able to find anything out of the ordinary. I think it might be a brake dust shield... but I've basically just moved on and forgotten about it.
Wish I could be more help, but you're not alone. Car has been dead reliable otherwise.
The following users liked this post:
wildta (08-27-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 727 Likes on 541 Posts
GLE 580
Originally Posted by Quattrouser
I have the same thing on my 2020 GLE580. Been doing it since new and dealer wasn't able to find anything out of the ordinary. I think it might be a brake dust shield... but I've basically just moved on and forgotten about it.
Wish I could be more help, but you're not alone. Car has been dead reliable otherwise.
Thanks for chiming in with your experience. Does yours sound like it comes from the rear?

​​​​It usually doesn't happen when the car has been driven recently and disappears after a few miles usually -- so mostly cold start is when I can hear it consistently.

I'm going to mention it on my next service (mid-autumn) and I'll keep you posted if I learn anything different from your experience.

Last edited by wildta; 08-27-2023 at 11:59 PM.