Advice for new MB potential owner.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 05:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE AMG 63S
Advice for new MB potential owner.

Hello MB community!
I am new to this forum and potentially the new owner of the first MB in my life.
I need advice. In April 2023, I ordered a fully equipped AMG 63S Coupe. It was originally supposed to be produced in June, then in early July and then in late August. At the beginning of September, I finally received the VIN of the car with a final inspection date in the first week of this month. Then this date was postponed by a week, then another, and another, and today the car still did not pass the final inspection and was not sent for transport.
I wonder if the car was manufactured despite the VIN and if so, what could be the reason for constantly postponing the date of the final inspection (already 4 times in September). I am concerned whether the car was manufactured with some defect or whether it was damaged and is still being repaired. If so, I am determined to give it up.
The dealer, of course, doesn't know anything and just gives me the next dates that appear in their system.
Does anyone of you have a similar experience or know what could be the reason for further delays?
Overall, I'm thinking about giving up this car because I'm totally frustrated with this situation. I only regret the 5 months of waiting I've already lost but my patience is almost over.
Thank you in advance for your advice.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
My last 3 cars (2 M’s, 1 Porsche) have been 6+ months from order to delivery. As far as the delays that number are unusual but from what you describe it’s a production delay. The ability to sell the gas guzzler V8’s depend on BEV sales because of stringent “Fleet Average reductions mandated by EPA in the US. The delay could have been for all 63’s or for supply chain reasons. The Dealers are just now getting their 63’s that were ordered for inventory. It’s often the cars that the first are produced are supposed to be “show cars” for the Dealer rather than a custom order. Might not always happen that way. I wouldn't be concerned over a production delay. The Dealer should be able to give you all the actual dates after production is completed and the vehicle ships…then they will also have a good estimate of arrival at the Dealer. Check those dates to determine if anything in the date intervals look unusual.
Edit: I think the VIN is assigned just prior to production so I’m assuming the delay was still production. Ask the Dealer for a print out of the schedule to date. Inspection doesn’t ring a bell as any normal stage of production.
I have a 63 ordered with a November build date. The strike at a major supplier (ZF) will probably delay mine. Ugg😪

Last edited by Ron.s; 09-28-2023 at 07:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mm9351 (09-30-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 07:41 PM

GLE AMG 63S
Thank you for your advice. I'm in Europe and from the time of production to the delivery time you have to add an additional 4 months because the port of Bremerhaven is a bottleneck and cars sometimes stay there for up to 2-3 months before further forwarding.
What worries me is the fact that the car has been given a VIN, which would mean that it has entered production, but for some reason it has not been able to pass the final inspection and be sent for transport for over 3 weeks.
Moreover, dealers who ordered 63S on stock in Europe in April as me already have cars for sale. Unfortunately, the color specifications available in stock cars do not suit me. But all these stock AMG 63S Coupe are also fully loaded cars, just like the one I ordered.
As I wrote, I have no experience with MB. But I have many years of experience with Audi and BMW. With these brands, the ordering process is completely transparent: even if production was delayed, it was known for what reason and when the car would go into production. Nobody in MB knows anything. I am disappointed with the beginning of my adventure with MB.

PS. Just noticed that you have Cayenne GTS. It would be very interesting to see your opinion Cayenne vs AMG GLE. Cayenne Turbo e-hybrid is still on my radar and that's where I'll go when I decide to quit my short adventure with MB.
I already know your experience with Audi from Audi forum

Last edited by retom; 09-28-2023 at 07:50 PM.
petee1997 (09-28-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 08:44 PM

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
2023 (X254) GLC300 RWD White
Once you have a vin it’s in production. If there is a particular part that is not available then it would added later or a credit would be given on the invoice. When I ordered my GLC SUV300 it showed a credit. By the time it went to production the kick switch to open the rear door was available. Then it sat at the port for 3 weeks waiting for a ship.

My salesman was able to pull up all the data on production and missing part. The only think he could not do was find out about the ship because the car was in the hands of the port and not MB. Once landed in US he was able to track again. I’m thinking you have to go to the dealership and look over the salesman's shoulder while he plugs in your vin. There are a few on this forum who work at MB and can give info but they only have access to US builds.

The vin look up under “tools” toward the top of the page & the web site “mb.vin” might give EU info. They work for the US.

Good luck…
Old 09-28-2023, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I knew your name was familiar…it’s been a while since the Audi Forum👍
My GTS is a fantastic car but has way too many issues. It’s in the last few days before Porsche is buying it back…Dealer inspection completed so now they will give me the numbers and a check. My wife won’t let me upgrade her Audi…the most dependable car we have ever owned.

The Porsche Tech has been disappointing in execution although an update is supposedly coming soon. Overall I like the Tech but it’s been a mess for almost a year. Most issues are random and go away the next restart of the vehicle. The worst issue was finding the cargo door open or the car unlocked on return.
Excess oil consumption is another issue…average just about 1800 miles per Quart but the last Quart in about 1,000 after a more careful check. It appears that oil consumption was increasing, the opposite of expected. The low tension rings might be defective because the first Q was at about 3500 miles.
The deal breaker though is a Harmonic Vibration (4-6k) likely coming from the “hang on” transfer case where it mates to the transmission. A few others report the same issue as far back as the 2019 MY. The vibration was progressively getting worse at 7k. Those not aggressively using the paddle shifters don’t seem to have the issue. Porsche Tech support along with my Dealer originally determined it was normal (they all do it) and stated it was an exhaust rumble. That never did make sense since the vibration was most pronounced decelerating.
Quality seems to be a crap shoot today. The Porsche GTS has fantastic driving dynamics but the rear wheel steer always felt strange in curves at speed. Not a complaint, just different, I doubt there’s any better handling SUV. We had a love/hate relationship.

In the US we are able to get a detailed schedule with all steps from order accepted date through shipping dates. A document with those dates might help clarify your situation. My 2021 GLE 53 was held up after production waiting for a front bumper. The Dealer didn’t even know the reason but I found a piece of blue tape hidden on the bottom of the windshield below the hood that listed the missing bumper to be installed at the VPC. I’ll check my photo’s and see if I can find a copy of a production document.
Old 09-29-2023, 11:56 AM

GLE AMG 63S
Originally Posted by DESAL
Once you have a vin it’s in production. If there is a particular part that is not available then it would added later or a credit would be given on the invoice. When I ordered my GLC SUV300 it showed a credit. By the time it went to production the kick switch to open the rear door was available. Then it sat at the port for 3 weeks waiting for a ship.

My salesman was able to pull up all the data on production and missing part. The only think he could not do was find out about the ship because the car was in the hands of the port and not MB. Once landed in US he was able to track again. I’m thinking you have to go to the dealership and look over the salesman's shoulder while he plugs in your vin. There are a few on this forum who work at MB and can give info but they only have access to US builds.

The vin look up under “tools” toward the top of the page & the web site “mb.vin” might give EU info. They work for the US.

Good luck…
Thank you for your help and information. Unfortunately, my VIN doesn't show up anywhere. I have already tried many decoders and it's the same everywhere - the car has not been found.
And this is something that worries me the most because I have had the VIN for almost a month and I can't decode the car anywhere. This is important to me because if the specifications of the manufactured car are not consistent with those in the order, I will give up the car.
Old 09-29-2023, 12:05 PM

GLE AMG 63S
Angry

Originally Posted by Ron.s
I knew your name was familiar…it’s been a while since the Audi Forum👍
My GTS is a fantastic car but has way too many issues. It’s in the last few days before Porsche is buying it back…Dealer inspection completed so now they will give me the numbers and a check. My wife won’t let me upgrade her Audi…the most dependable car we have ever owned.

The Porsche Tech has been disappointing in execution although an update is supposedly coming soon. Overall I like the Tech but it’s been a mess for almost a year. Most issues are random and go away the next restart of the vehicle. The worst issue was finding the cargo door open or the car unlocked on return.
Excess oil consumption is another issue…average just about 1800 miles per Quart but the last Quart in about 1,000 after a more careful check. It appears that oil consumption was increasing, the opposite of expected. The low tension rings might be defective because the first Q was at about 3500 miles.
The deal breaker though is a Harmonic Vibration (4-6k) likely coming from the “hang on” transfer case where it mates to the transmission. A few others report the same issue as far back as the 2019 MY. The vibration was progressively getting worse at 7k. Those not aggressively using the paddle shifters don’t seem to have the issue. Porsche Tech support along with my Dealer originally determined it was normal (they all do it) and stated it was an exhaust rumble. That never did make sense since the vibration was most pronounced decelerating.
Quality seems to be a crap shoot today. The Porsche GTS has fantastic driving dynamics but the rear wheel steer always felt strange in curves at speed. Not a complaint, just different, I doubt there’s any better handling SUV. We had a love/hate relationship.

In the US we are able to get a detailed schedule with all steps from order accepted date through shipping dates. A document with those dates might help clarify your situation. My 2021 GLE 53 was held up after production waiting for a front bumper. The Dealer didn’t even know the reason but I found a piece of blue tape hidden on the bottom of the windshield below the hood that listed the missing bumper to be installed at the VPC. I’ll check my photo’s and see if I can find a copy of a production document.
I've had 7 Audis in a row and they were all reliable. Of course, they had some minor faults, but I was able to remove most of these faults myself, saving time and stress at the dealer.
That's why I always recommend Audi - they are really good and reliable cars (except maybe BSG in cars with 48V installation).
After so many years with Audi, I simply decided to change the brand. I chose MB AMG, but reading now this and European MB GLE forums I'm a bit afraid of this car. We'll see how it goes, but for now I'm disappointed with the whole process of ordering a car. My dealer is very nice, but he knows practically nothing except the next production dates. And I already have 8 of these dates Angry
Old 09-30-2023, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by retom
Thank you for your help and information. Unfortunately, my VIN doesn't show up anywhere. I have already tried many decoders and it's the same everywhere - the car has not been found.
And this is something that worries me the most because I have had the VIN for almost a month and I can't decode the car anywhere. This is important to me because if the specifications of the manufactured car are not consistent with those in the order, I will give up the car.
RUN don’t walk to the dealer. Have the salesman check the number he gave you against his PC. If it’s the same then the car is somewhere. Don’t think MB or any manufacturer produce phantom vin numbers. If you’re getting the run around a letter of complaint to whatever authority is in your area would be in order. Plus a copy to MB.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
It won't show up for about six months after it's built.

It's true of all cars; not a reason to freak out.

That, coupled with MBs mysterious production tracking, makes anybody's efforts hard.

It doesn't mean the car is lost.

It's kind of a Mercedes thing. That and their balky website.

Last edited by mikapen; 09-30-2023 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-30-2023, 10:17 AM

GLE AMG 63S
Thanks mikapen and DESAL for your advices. Unfortunately, they are not optimistic. As I wrote previously, I have already received 8 production dates (final inspection) and my salesman only gives me each time the next dates, informing me that he knows nothing more. I have never experienced such disregard for a customer. A month ago I picked up a BMW i4 for my wife. The car had 2 months delay, but I was given a reason (one option was on restriction) and asked if I wanted to wait or accept a car without this option. Everything was clear and transparent, I had complete information about all stages of production and transport of the car, and the declared deadlines were met. I have the same experience with Audi.
Deciding on "the best or nothing", I expected at least the same customer service. Meanwhile, after 5 months of waiting, I still don't know when and how optioned car I will get.
I have an offer in hand for the X5M and Cayenne. Delivery times for these cars are 4 months. If within the next 2 weeks I do not receive confirmation that the ordered GLE 63S was manufactured in accordance with the ordered specifications, I will quit. And this will be the end of my short adventure with MB once and for all.
Old 09-30-2023, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
A call to Mercedes might put some pressure on the Dealer.
Old 09-30-2023, 10:32 AM

GLE AMG 63S
Originally Posted by mikapen
A call to Mercedes might put some pressure on the Dealer.
Ironically, this is a Mercedes HQ showroom in my country, which means that Mercedes is selling the car to me directly. I decided to buy this car also because I ordered it directly from Mercedes, trusting that they would have the best service and the best delivery times.
When I tried to make a pressure on their procurement department they answer that these are the Tuscaloosa decisions on which they don't have any influence. Between the line I also hear that my order is one on millions and nobody will pay a special attention to my complaints.

Last edited by retom; 09-30-2023 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-30-2023, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ironically, this is a Mercedes HQ showroom in my country, which means that Mercedes is selling the car to me directly. I decided to buy this car also because I ordered it directly from Mercedes, trusting that they would have the best service and the best delivery times.
When I tried to make a pressure on their procurement department they answer that these are the Tuscaloosa decisions on which they don't have any influence. Between the line I also hear that my order is one on millions and nobody will pay a special attention to my complaints.
Nevertheless, try calling Mercedes.
Old 09-30-2023, 05:07 PM

Sorry to hear about your order problems. Most issues involve everything else.

I have placed 3 GLCs with my local US dealer and never had a problem. Matter of fact MBFS (USA) gave me 3 extensions on my 2020 lease because of the worldwide production delays.

I know it will take some effort but I would write a letter/email. After all your not trying to buy a Ford or Fiat.

Here are two possibilities. 1st general contact. 2nd more specific.

https://group.mercedes-benz.com/contact/

https://group.mercedes-benz.com/inve...vices/contact/

If you do be interested to hear about any responses.
Old 09-30-2023, 05:44 PM

GLE AMG 63S
Originally Posted by DESAL
Sorry to hear about your order problems. Most issues involve everything else.

I have placed 3 GLCs with my local US dealer and never had a problem. Matter of fact MBFS (USA) gave me 3 extensions on my 2020 lease because of the worldwide production delays.

I know it will take some effort but I would write a letter/email. After all your not trying to buy a Ford or Fiat.

Here are two possibilities. 1st general contact. 2nd more specific.

https://group.mercedes-benz.com/contact/

https://group.mercedes-benz.com/inve...vices/contact/

If you do be interested to hear about any responses.
Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.
I'm waiting to see what MB tells me next week. If I still don't know anything, I will write to the MB headquarters in Stuttgart.
This whole situation is very uncomfortable for me even not due to the problem that there is a delay. The problem is that no one knows anything and I can't plan anything. I am buying a car for cash, therefore I cannot make financial investments because I do not know when I will have to pay and I cannot sell my current car because I do not know when a new one will be available. This is starting to get expensive for me. And all these additional financial loses I have to add to the price of AMG GLE 63S because of course MB will not compensate it to me.
When I was placing the order, MB assured me that they have a production slot for mid-June and the date of receiving the car was set for mid-September at the latest. Today it's almost October and there are still no concrete confirmations.
Why should I stick with Mercedes when there are so many other temptations on the car market?
Old 09-30-2023, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Make the phone call.
Old 10-13-2023, 05:33 PM

GLE AMG 63S
Quick update.
Despite of my pressure and intervention, no one at HQ still knows anything. Further production completion dates appear in the system and there have already been 9 of them. Originally, my GLE AMG 63S Coupe was supposed to be produced in June and delivered in mid-September.
Enough is enough. I decided to quit the contract and MB already returned my advance payment. They didn't have any arguments to keep me longer.
Additionally, reading German and US GLE forums indicates that the GLE is a very unreliable car. Yes, I know that every brand has problems, but the number of GLE failures seems to be well above the average. It is really a pity because it is a very nice car.
My short adventure with Mercedes is over and my experience of cooperation with this brand is unfortunately very disappointing. I doubt whether I will ever return to this brand, but never say "never".
I decided to stay with VAG. This time it will not be another Audi but a Porsche Cayenne Turbo Hybrid Coupe. The car has already been ordered, the production date is set and the ETA is confirmed on mid-January. This car also will not have to travel halfway around the world because its production is in a factory about 500 km away from me.
I would like to thank all MB forum members who gave me good advices and support and I wish all this forum members a lot of satisfaction with their cars.
HotRodW (10-13-2023)
Old 10-18-2023, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gle amg 63s
Could be worse. You could have ordered a Lotus Emira... I finally gave up on them.
Old 10-21-2023, 04:12 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Presently 19 S560 SEDAN, 2014 XK, SOLD GLE 450e
I'd have been tee'd off about four months ago.
Old 10-21-2023, 04:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,948 Likes on 3,106 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Quick update.
Despite of my pressure and intervention, no one at HQ still knows anything. Further production completion dates appear in the system and there have already been 9 of them. Originally, my GLE AMG 63S Coupe was supposed to be produced in June and delivered in mid-September.
Enough is enough. I decided to quit the contract and MB already returned my advance payment. They didn't have any arguments to keep me longer.
Additionally, reading German and US GLE forums indicates that the GLE is a very unreliable car. Yes, I know that every brand has problems, but the number of GLE failures seems to be well above the average. It is really a pity because it is a very nice car.
My short adventure with Mercedes is over and my experience of cooperation with this brand is unfortunately very disappointing. I doubt whether I will ever return to this brand, but never say "never".
I decided to stay with VAG. This time it will not be another Audi but a Porsche Cayenne Turbo Hybrid Coupe. The car has already been ordered, the production date is set and the ETA is confirmed on mid-January. This car also will not have to travel halfway around the world because its production is in a factory about 500 km away from me.
I would like to thank all MB forum members who gave me good advices and support and I wish all this forum members a lot of satisfaction with their cars.
Sorry to hear of the drama and congratulations on sacking MB as your supplier of transportation
hardware.

Interesting to hear that MB’s poor performance is not strictly a pleasure reserved for US customers, but rather is globally widespread, sadly for all involved around the world.
Old 10-21-2023, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 126 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
I have two GLE53. The 2021 has had two warranty claims in 38 months. I headlight filled with water and the headlight assembly was replaced. The other was a AC issue that was repaired. The 2024 Model returned once for a defective shock. It is 90 days old. Should I expect 0 failures? Should I turf the brand?

PS I have owned 8 Porsche 911 over the years. They have not been any better but were only driven 3K kms per year on average. All were traded at less than 15K kms. I have not owned a Cayenne.
Old 10-21-2023, 07:57 PM

GLE AMG 63S
Originally Posted by chassis
Sorry to hear of the drama and congratulations on sacking MB as your supplier of transportation
hardware.

Interesting to hear that MB’s poor performance is not strictly a pleasure reserved for US customers, but rather is globally widespread, sadly for all involved around the world.
I had several Audis in a row. My last 3 were Q7, SQ7 and SQ8. I haven't had any repairs in any of them. I was only visiting the dealer for mandatory warranty inspections. So it is possible to produce a good car.
3 month ago my wife after a long wait has picked up BMW i4 M50. This car had 2 months of delay but we were informed about it, we were also informed about 1 option restriction and were proposed the alternative. The whole process was clear and constantly updated. So it is possible to treat the customer seriously.
My problem with Mercedes was the complete lack of transparency in our relations. No one knew anything, only the delivery dates of the car were changed. I had an impression that MB totally doesn't care about theirs customers. In September, the car release was stopped in Tuscaloosa for some unknown reason and the car remains there up today.
Buying an expensive car for cash, I can't be on constant standby with my money without knowing when and in which final specification the car will be delivered.
For some reason, Mercedes sales in my country are down almost 15% compared to last year. And this is an important market for MB. Ordering my Mercedes I believed in "The best or nothing". In my case it ended with "nothing". It's not a drama but it is really a pity that it ended like this.
chassis (10-21-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 09:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I had several Audis in a row. My last 3 were Q7, SQ7 and SQ8. I haven't had any repairs in any of them. I was only visiting the dealer for mandatory warranty inspections. So it is possible to produce a good car.
3 month ago my wife after a long wait has picked up BMW i4 M50. This car had 2 months of delay but we were informed about it, we were also informed about 1 option restriction and were proposed the alternative. The whole process was clear and constantly updated. So it is possible to treat the customer seriously.
My problem with Mercedes was the complete lack of transparency in our relations. No one knew anything, only the delivery dates of the car were changed. I had an impression that MB totally doesn't care about theirs customers. In September, the car release was stopped in Tuscaloosa for some unknown reason and the car remains there up today.
Buying an expensive car for cash, I can't be on constant standby with my money without knowing when and in which final specification the car will be delivered.
For some reason, Mercedes sales in my country are down almost 15% compared to last year. And this is an important market for MB. Ordering my Mercedes I believed in "The best or nothing". In my case it ended with "nothing". It's not a drama but it is really a pity that it ended like this.
It sounds like a frustrating experience. Sadly the experience you wrote about is not uncommon in other countries. MB has lost control of their business, this example is one of many. Their clown agents (dealers) are subtractive and parasitic to the process.
Old 10-22-2023, 11:29 AM

GLE AMG 63S
Originally Posted by chassis
It sounds like a frustrating experience. Sadly the experience you wrote about is not uncommon in other countries. MB has lost control of their business, this example is one of many. Their clown agents (dealers) are subtractive and parasitic to the process.
Ironically, it wasn't a dealer. I ordered the car directly from Mercedes. They have their own showroom located downstairs of their large HQ office building. All the more I counted on reliable treatment when I bought it directly from MB without going through a dealer.
Old 10-22-2023, 12:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Ironically, it wasn't a dealer. I ordered the car directly from Mercedes. They have their own showroom located downstairs of their large HQ office building. All the more I counted on reliable treatment when I bought it directly from MB without going through a dealer.
Understood. The entire retail (non) value chain with MB contributes nothing to MB owners. Whether MB corporate sales or the dealer clowns, the enterprise is incompetent.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advice for new MB potential owner.