GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Rear camera opens at speed below 25km/h

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 03:10 PM

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
I've been driving a supercharged V8 for the last couple months and I'm pretty sure if my new car made the same noises I wouldn't even notice it. In a silent EV (or maybe even in a fairly quiet hybrid) with sound insulating glass and sound reflecting hard plastics, however... it'll drive ya insane in the membrane. Sound deadening/absorbing interior materials, like the abundant amount of Alcantara in my Jag SVR, would help a lot too I think.
Old 01-05-2024, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes 2024 C300e Station
Same problem. Has anyone got solved?

Hello all,

Has anybody had the problem solved?

I’m facing the same problem. The car has been during 4 weeks in the dealer doing several procedures (firmware updates, they checked the wires, tested with new wires connected outside the normal path, changed the module that controls the opening and closed by a new one, they just didn't change the camera itself). In the final, they assumed that they could not fix, and supported with a statement from mercedes telling that's normal.
It’s quite annoying audible sound, every time accelerates or decelerates around 25km/h. The car has just 3 months old, and was not doing it in the first month. By coincidence or not, it started doing after a long trip with a lot of rain and an electrical shutdown problem when arrived from that trip.

I’m wondering if in your case got solved, and the cause, or if you still have the issue after this time.

Thank you for your feedback!
Andre
Old 01-05-2024, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 350
Hi Andre! I took mine back to two different dealers and got the exact same result. For now, this is normal unless they come out with a system update. It's the only thing I don't like about this car. Everything else has been great over the first 4 months (first Benz). If anyone hears something different, please share. Thank you!
Old 01-05-2024, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Onlylive1
Hi Andre! I took mine back to two different dealers and got the exact same result. For now, this is normal unless they come out with a system update. It's the only thing I don't like about this car. Everything else has been great over the first 4 months (first Benz). If anyone hears something different, please share. Thank you!
Hi!
I'm finding hard to believe that is "fully" normal. My car didn't do it during a couple of months, before started doing it, and I have a colleague who has been the same car for a longer time and has never behaved like this. Seems the car is constantly in calibration mode, and even after having done it successfully and stop with this behavior, it starts doing it again after turn of and on the car. In normal situation it should extend the camera, only when it shows the image (meaning when we put the in reverse gear or something is very close to the car).
Other testimonies will be appreciated!
Thank you,
André
The following users liked this post:
Onlylive1 (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE 450
I’d love to disconnect to motor wires after it’s in the open state, and leave it open. The camera circuit is separate from the 9v motor circuit so I doubt there’d be an error code.
It’s probably wishful thinking and desperation, but I’ve considered it.
Old 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM

GLE 350
Agree

Originally Posted by andre.t
Hi!
I'm finding hard to believe that is "fully" normal. My car didn't do it during a couple of months, before started doing it, and I have a colleague who has been the same car for a longer time and has never behaved like this. Seems the car is constantly in calibration mode, and even after having done it successfully and stop with this behavior, it starts doing it again after turn of and on the car. In normal situation it should extend the camera, only when it shows the image (meaning when we put the in reverse gear or something is very close to the car).
Other testimonies will be appreciated!
Thank you,
André
Agree! Some times while driving for longer periods, mine will stop. That’s proof to me that it’s not ‘Normal’.
Old 01-05-2024, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,582 Likes on 1,164 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Does it correspond to the Park icon on the driver's display turning blue? (Indicating that it's looking for a parking spot?)

Can you replicate it by pushing the Park button on the console?

I'm just fishing for connections here. I don't even know what sensors the self park mode uses.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by kook101
I’d love to disconnect to motor wires after it’s in the open state, and leave it open. The camera circuit is separate from the 9v motor circuit so I doubt there’d be an error code.
It’s probably wishful thinking and desperation, but I’ve considered it.
When I asked (in desperation) to the electrician that was in charge of my car at Mercedes if it was possible to have it extended all the time, he told me yes that could disconnect the module. I was quite surprised and I guess it was just his kindness for something that would not be allowed. Other alternative was to put an insulation foam to reduce the noise. I think I'll go for this way. The first scenario sounds too evasive and risky as the components should not be prepared.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:10 PM

I don't think, it happens in any situation or kind of road. It's the behavior described by Mercedes as camera calibration process. At least in my case, it's not related with self park feature.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by mikapen
Does it correspond to the Park icon on the driver's display turning blue? (Indicating that it's looking for a parking spot?)

I'm just fishing for connections here. I don't even know what sensors the self park mode uses.
I don't think, it happens in any situation or kind of road. It's the behavior described by Mercedes as camera calibration process. At least in my case, it's not related with self park feature.
Old 01-05-2024, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I hadn't heard of a Camera Calibration process until this thread.

How did you find it, and can you provide a link?
Old 01-05-2024, 05:46 PM

Received 111 Likes on 80 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450

On newer v167, I think 2022+, it's using both ultrasonic sensors AND cameras for parking in marked spaces, it doesn't use the rear camera though.

I don't think it has anything to do with any of the assist systems. My car has everything enabled and it's not doing it. Basically, the rear camera is only deployed when you can see cameras on the MBUX screen. It's likely something about re-calibration that never finishes or never marks itself as done.

The question I'd ask the dealer is - "why car X is doing it but car Y doesn't". Ask them to grab a car from the lot to compare and persist to get an answer from Mercedes engineers. It's almost impossible to say "it's normal" when you show two different behaviors and ask to explain. In engineering, it's one of the core points we often use to do the troubleshooting. Ability to replicate and compare makes it much easier to debug. That's assuming the telemetry is available. The dealers may not have required skills or level of access but Mercedes engineers should, the challenge is likely to get it escalated to the right people.
Old 01-05-2024, 05:50 PM

MY2024 GLE 450
How did you find it, and can you provide a link?
Check the attachment from this post: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle43-cou...ml#post7394800

It's pre-v167 but likely applies.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:10 PM

I think I kind of like it, other than the annoying noise part. Seems to keep other drivers from getting too close to my bumper... like the car is going to email the cops that they're following too closely or something. This AI stuff is getting out of hand! LOL

It could just be a coincidence that the camera retracts at exactly the same speed that the blue parking icon for parktronic disappears from my driver info screen. I don't understand why it couldn't do it's calibrating at a higher speed though. The lines on the road are still there.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 GLE 450
Hello all,

Has anybody had the problem solved?

I’m facing the same problem. The car has been during 4 weeks in the dealer doing several procedures (firmware updates, they checked the wires, tested with new wires connected outside the normal path, changed the module that controls the opening and closed by a new one, they just didn't change the camera itself). In the final, they assumed that they could not fix, and supported with a statement from mercedes telling that's normal.
It’s quite annoying audible sound, every time accelerates or decelerates around 25km/h. The car has just 3 months old, and was not doing it in the first month. By coincidence or not, it started doing after a long trip with a lot of rain and an electrical shutdown problem when arrived from that trip.

I’m wondering if in your case got solved, and the cause, or if you still have the issue after this time.

Andre
See post #44 in this thread... several weeks later I can say that what they did continues to reduce the sound....
Old 01-06-2024, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by stktyz33
On newer v167, I think 2022+, it's using both ultrasonic sensors AND cameras for parking in marked spaces, it doesn't use the rear camera though.

I don't think it has anything to do with any of the assist systems. My car has everything enabled and it's not doing it. Basically, the rear camera is only deployed when you can see cameras on the MBUX screen. It's likely something about re-calibration that never finishes or never marks itself as done.

The question I'd ask the dealer is - "why car X is doing it but car Y doesn't". Ask them to grab a car from the lot to compare and persist to get an answer from Mercedes engineers. It's almost impossible to say "it's normal" when you show two different behaviors and ask to explain. In engineering, it's one of the core points we often use to do the troubleshooting. Ability to replicate and compare makes it much easier to debug. That's assuming the telemetry is available. The dealers may not have required skills or level of access but Mercedes engineers should, the challenge is likely to get it escalated to the right people.
They know it’s not normal, otherwise they would have hundreds or thousands of people complaining. And my car would not stay during 4 weeks at Mercedes with them doing anything they could to try to solve the issue. Finally Mercedes pointed to the xentry tip showed in post #63. Seems nobody at Mercedes know the reason, perhaps is quite rare and due to a malfunction. It’s a fact that most of the cars don’t do it, and in my case started only after 2 months of usage.
Old 01-06-2024, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dunno about those "hundreds of thousands of people" though.
Have they even sold that many 167 cars into the market?
Old 01-06-2024, 11:42 AM

MY2024 GLE 450
Dunno about those "hundreds of thousands of people" though.
Have they even sold that many 167 cars into the market?
According to MBUSA sales reporting, they sold about 250k of GLEs in the US alone (2019-Sep 2023). The reporting doesn't break down by model year, so it's rough calculation just to understand the ballpark, I used 50% of 2019 GLE sales and 100% 2020+ for simplicity.

So, yes, there are "hundreds of thousands" in the US.
Old 01-06-2024, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

According to MBUSA sales reporting, they sold about 250k of GLEs in the US alone (2019-Sep 2023). The reporting doesn't break down by model year, so it's rough calculation just to understand the ballpark, I used 50% of 2019 GLE sales and 100% 2020+ for simplicity.

So, yes, there are "hundreds of thousands" in the US.
I guess I misunderstood. I took it that you were saying they were hundreds of thousands of complaints.
I guess I'm just too literal. Sorry.
Old 01-06-2024, 01:09 PM

MY2024 GLE 450
I guess I misunderstood. I took it that you were saying they were hundreds of thousands of complaints.
I guess I'm just too literal. Sorry.
Nah, it wasn't even my words. The person who said that mentioned "Seems nobody at Mercedes know the reason, perhaps is quite rare and due to a malfunction. It’s a fact that most of the cars don’t do it, and in my case started only after 2 months of usage.", so they didn't imply it either. The wording was confusing to me at first too.
Old 01-06-2024, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nah, it wasn't even my words. The person who said that mentioned "Seems .
Oops. I should pay more attention to who said what, when and where, and who is responding to whom.

Anyway, I don't think there are hundreds of thousands of complaints about the camera.
Whew.🫤
Old 01-19-2024, 10:01 AM

Apparently Parktronic can be temporarily disabled in my EQE. As I was maneuvering around a fast food drive-through this morning (slightly hungover) the ultrasonic sensors started going off and I noticed a red button in the lower corner of the parking camera view on the infotainment screen. Pressing it turned off the incessant beeping. Then as I was going over the train tracks on my way home where the camera typically pops out for no apparent reason, a big white P that said OFF displayed on the bottom of the driver info screen (formerly known as an instrument cluster). Lo and behold, the camera didn't pop out this time.

So I'm 99.9999% sure that's what the problem is... but I expect the authorities in charge who have way more authority than brains will never figure it out and the problem will persist, forever (or until the next gen Mercedes with an Apple-made infotainment system comes out anyways).
Old 01-29-2024, 01:30 PM

GLE 350
GLE

Originally Posted by BlueYonder
My 2018 GLE 550e did the same thing for a while. It went away without me doing anything. My 2024 doesn't do it that I'm aware of (I don't hear it opening like I could with my other GLE)
Do you know the last model they made in the GLE that did NOT have this opening/closing camera situuation?? In a GLE -?
thank you,
Jim
Old 01-29-2024, 01:32 PM

GLE 350
I feel the exact same - when did this feature come with the GLE, thinking of dropping down to a '22 or '23 if this is not present on those model years??
Old 01-29-2024, 01:57 PM

MY2024 GLE 450
It's not present on all 2024s either, I'd recommend going through this thread, we've probably discussed it multiple times already. There is no solution as nobody knows why it happens on certain cars, it's not normal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear camera opens at speed below 25km/h