GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Rear camera opens at speed below 25km/h

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 CLA 4Matic
Dealers obviously know of this issue but don't disclose? Didn't make noise on test drive, but did on day 2, so tells me dealer likely recalibrated before test drive knowing the issue. Current solution presented by our dealer is to put foam or rubber in walls of car to lessen noise. Ridiculous - CA lemon law attorney anxious to represent us but seems like a year long process.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:57 PM

Received 111 Likes on 80 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
So, what does the diagnostics say exactly? This thread is getting a bit old as we keep speculating about calibration, when diagnostics can likely tell you if it's calibration or not.

Ask the dealer to hook it up to diagnostics and drive with you. Multi-function camera and parktronic modules have two data point exposed something like: Initial calibration - Performed or Not, then who performed it - Factory or Service, then there is "Drive calibration" that shows current drive calibration status. They should be able to see if Initial or Drive calibration is not completed and camera open / close events correlate to diagnostics calibration status. If it's indeed related to one of these two calibrations, they can file a request and ask MB WHY calibration never finishes or doesn't persists after that, not just "the camera opens and closes". Additionally, dealership likely can perform initial calibration by themselves but they may need some extra equipment from MB for it.

Last edited by stktyz33; 03-07-2024 at 06:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jtjbt20x (03-08-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 CLA 4Matic
From the work order:

126 C/S THE BACK UP CAMERA IS CONSTANTLY OPENING AND CLOSING. PERFORMED INITAIL ROAD TEST TO VERIFY CONCERN. PERFORMED SHORT TEST SHORT TEST FOUND NO RELATED CODES, PERFORMED ROAD TEST AT 9:55 AM TO MONITOR REAR CAMERA. NOTICED SDS SAYS CALIBRATED SUCCESSFUL, BUT CALIBRATION PERCENT IS AT 0. ROAD TESTED AND CAR IS RE CALIBRATING REAR CAMERA UNTIL IT REACHED 100%. THIS WILL STAY AT 100% AND WILL NOT RE CALIBRATE UNLESS CAR SITS FOR 120 MINUTES OR SO THEN STARTS CALIBRATION OVER AGAIN. PERFORMED ROAD TEST WITH SDS WITH STOCK UNIT RJ602007 AND THIS CAR PERFORMERS IN THE SAME MANNER. OPENING CASE TO SEE WHY CAR IS LOOSING CALIBRATION AFTER A SUCCESSFUL CALIBRATION HAS ALREADY BEEN COMPLETED. WILL UPDATE AFTER RESPONSE BACK FROM MERCEDES ENGINEERING. Case number245821940 This is a normal function. LI54.65-P-066284 does apply. Please also see March of 2021 PCTT as this has more information on this calibration process. The cameras are calibrated at every sleep cycle. This is not a malfunction, but an intended system behavior: Calibration of the reversing camera is in progress. For this, the cover on the camera is opened for max. 5 minutes in forward travel. The calibration can be performed as long as the vehicle speed is < 18 mph and the steering wheel angle is < 10~. If these criteria are no longer satisfied before calibration is complete, the calibration sequence is aborted and the camera is retracted. The sequence is restarted when the criteria are met again.
The following users liked this post:
stktyz33 (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 06:19 PM

MY2024 GLE 450
Originally Posted by keithjbrama
From the work order:

126 C/S THE BACK UP CAMERA IS CONSTANTLY OPENING AND CLOSING. PERFORMED INITAIL ROAD TEST TO VERIFY CONCERN. PERFORMED SHORT TEST SHORT TEST FOUND NO RELATED CODES, PERFORMED ROAD TEST AT 9:55 AM TO MONITOR REAR CAMERA. NOTICED SDS SAYS CALIBRATED SUCCESSFUL, BUT CALIBRATION PERCENT IS AT 0. ROAD TESTED AND CAR IS RE CALIBRATING REAR CAMERA UNTIL IT REACHED 100%. THIS WILL STAY AT 100% AND WILL NOT RE CALIBRATE UNLESS CAR SITS FOR 120 MINUTES OR SO THEN STARTS CALIBRATION OVER AGAIN. PERFORMED ROAD TEST WITH SDS WITH STOCK UNIT RJ602007 AND THIS CAR PERFORMERS IN THE SAME MANNER. OPENING CASE TO SEE WHY CAR IS LOOSING CALIBRATION AFTER A SUCCESSFUL CALIBRATION HAS ALREADY BEEN COMPLETED. WILL UPDATE AFTER RESPONSE BACK FROM MERCEDES ENGINEERING. Case number245821940 This is a normal function. LI54.65-P-066284 does apply. Please also see March of 2021 PCTT as this has more information on this calibration process. The cameras are calibrated at every sleep cycle. This is not a malfunction, but an intended system behavior: Calibration of the reversing camera is in progress. For this, the cover on the camera is opened for max. 5 minutes in forward travel. The calibration can be performed as long as the vehicle speed is < 18 mph and the steering wheel angle is < 10~. If these criteria are no longer satisfied before calibration is complete, the calibration sequence is aborted and the camera is retracted. The sequence is restarted when the criteria are met again.
Ok, it seems like they actually were pretty thorough investigating it. The problem I see here is that their stock unit performed the same way so they had nothing to compare it against, which is unfortunate. The reason I believe it's important is that if you have two cars that perform differently, MB can no longer say "it's normal", they'll have to explain why the units are different.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,582 Likes on 1,164 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by stktyz33
Ok, it seems like they actually were pretty thorough investigating it. The problem I see here is that their stock unit performed the same way so they had nothing to compare it against, which is unfortunate. The reason I believe it's important is that if you have two cars that perform differently, MB can no longer say "it's normal", they'll have to explain why the units are different.
That work order explains the difference.

I wasn't aware of any of these calibrations.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:22 AM

MY2024 GLE 450
Originally Posted by mikapen
That work order explains the difference.

I wasn't aware of any of these calibrations.
I actually don’t think the work order explains the difference. The tech actions align perfectly with my suggestions above, that’s why it looked to me like a rather thorough investigation. However, because their stock unit (as in another GLE they had on a lot) behaved the same way, they had to accept “it’s normal” answer from MB Engineering as they didn’t have a car without the issue to compare it to and call MB on it.
Old 05-25-2024, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A200 2024 Premium Plus
Originally Posted by ken7472
Hi there,
thanks letting me join this family.
I have an issue found at my 2024 GLE Rear Camera opens when speed below 25km/h.
I knew it is doing calibration; thus I ran a straight road at speed less than 15km/h, then camera did calibrate itself and not open again.

But after I turn off this car, and turn it on , this issue happened again from beginning.

I used to have a 2017 GLC, it’s rear camera opens sometimes when driving forward and also, I let it did calibrate and just need "one time" calibration and next day no more happened.

But now , this new 2024 GLE problem is that every time we turn on car, this issue happened repeat again, it seems that it did not record and write calibration data into this car computer.

as I thought calibration should did one time only and no more happens in short time.

Is this issue normal?
thank you all.
We have this on my wife’s new A200 and when we took it back for inspection they told us it was normal. Hard to believe that MB would produce cars knowing they make a noise like that. I have a GLE 450 on order and I’m considering cancelling the noise is far to loud
Old 06-08-2024, 07:44 AM

GLA
We are having this same problem here in the UK on the GLA and A Class saloon ( Sedan) It is driving us nuts also. I have returned my car to the dealership and they are fully aware of the problem but are unable to alter the software as it is set by M/B. I have also sent a number of Emails to their customer services, but they just come out with the same old twaddle !! that it is not a fault but a characteristic of the vehicle, well all I can say is that it is a damn stupid characteristic.

Mercedes Benz client of many years standing but will never buy another.
Old 06-08-2024, 09:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Shoot...I was going to order a GLE450, 2025 when available, but now will hold off until I see this issue is resolved by following this thread.
Old 06-08-2024, 11:57 AM

GLA
"The camera is open for max 5mins in forward travel" That has certainly not been the case in my 2024 GLA, mine will still be clanking away after 45 minutes or so, and still M/B refuse to anything about it.
M/B client for many years, never again.
Old 06-08-2024, 12:52 PM

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
MB's mindless marketing nonsense is part of the problem. When I disable "paktronic" from the main screen button the camera keeps popping out. But when I do it when "parktronic" is actively looking for parking spots it stops popping out. So I guess I 'm talking about two different "parktronic" systems.

Anywhosies, I'm just glad the new G comes with EQ technology. That's much less confusing.
Old 06-10-2024, 08:40 PM

eqa250+
EQA250+

Have a brand new 2024 EQA250+ facelift. Can confirm it’s doing the same thing in this model too. Being a quiet EV the noise is really noticeable and annoying. Going to take it into the dealership soon to see what can be done but it sounds like it’s a common issue.