MultiBeam Cornering Light??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 07:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
BMW X3 M40i
MultiBeam Cornering Light??

Hi All,

Just doing a little research on the MultiBeam headlights. I know the US pre-facelift GLEs with MultiBeam LEDs did not have the cornering and "shadowing" function like the EU models. With the regulations for headlights in the US now being less restrictive, I wonder when MB will bring these features over?
Even with the 2024 facelight, it appears the US models still do not have the inner cornering light module (to the left of the inner left projector). Still not sure if the "anti-dazzle" is enabled or has to be coded.

EU Model:

US Model:

Last edited by MBArizona; 10-11-2023 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2023, 10:34 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 GLE 450​
As far as I know, they are the same lights used in both EU and USA region as long as the car comes with option 640 which described as "Active Curve Illuminating Full LED" or "Intelligent Light System" or "Multibeam LED Headlights" depending on region and context. Problem is that they are software locked, so you'd need to purchase third-party coding services to reprogram those lights to become smarter.

Feel free to check out this thread for more details.

Last edited by EndenDragon; 10-10-2023 at 10:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MBArizona (10-11-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 12:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
BMW X3 M40i
Originally Posted by EndenDragon
As far as I know, they are the same lights used in both EU and USA region as long as the car comes with option 640 which described as "Active Curve Illuminating Full LED" or "Intelligent Light System" or "Multibeam LED Headlights" depending on region and context. Problem is that they are software locked, so you'd need to purchase third-party coding services to reprogram those lights to become smarter.

Feel free to check out this thread for more details.
Thank you! It looks like the anti-dazzle/shadowing function can be coded which is very helpful.

I believe the additional cornering light is not available yet for US models. Nick highlights this feature at 4:37 and you can see the cornering light on the right hand side fade on and off at 6:04-6:06.

Last edited by MBArizona; 10-11-2023 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-11-2023, 11:04 AM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
Originally Posted by MBArizona
Even with the 2024 facelight, it appears the US models still do not have the inner cornering light module (to the left of the inner left projector). Still not sure if the "anti-dazzle" is enabled or has to be coded.
Thanks for carrying the torch for us, unfortunate that they still have two different hardware parts for this. I suppose when they planned the facelift was the time where the regulation was just right before its sunrise, so they kept the two part numbers. Also seems like the cornering lights has to be certain vertical distance from the ground (according to the regulations) and the GLE is a touch too high.

Anyone with the facelifted GLE with the Pinnacle trim with LED Intelligent Light System can confirm if the anti-dazzle is enabled from the factory? The explanation in the build guide is rather vague: "Active Curve Illumination and Adaptive Highbeam Assist continuously adjust the beam pattern of the 84 LEDs in each headlamp to help maximize the illumination of corners and straightaways, without creating glare for other drivers."

For those who are interested in the headlight setup, here's the thread for the pre-facelifted headlight journey.
MBArizona (10-11-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 12:36 PM

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
I have a c4 unit and I've had my w222 s63 ILS+ coded in by benz ninja (along with other coding features). I'll be in touch with him again in the next few weeks regarding some other w222 features I was interested in adding/changing. At the same time I will be discussing coding options for our GLE w/ headlight features at the top of the list. Will keep everyone updated.
Old 10-11-2023, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,810 Likes on 2,547 Posts
2019 C63CS
Related thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ation-usa.html

As I said there, the new US regulation is still different from the EU regulation, so the EU implementation of the multibeam LEDs is still not legal as-is. The manufactures are evaluating what they can offer. It appears there might be differences between the models as far as hardware is concerned. The multibeam LEDs in my 2019 C63S coupe do have the cornering lights and they work, but I believe the PFL GLE has an older version of them altogether. The ones with the 84 LEDs are the latest generation. The prior generation had fewer LEDs. The latest 84 LED generation can be recognized by the blue hue in them on the side of the main lens. The blue signifies the 84 LED matrix. If you don't have any blue in your headlights, then they are an older generation.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-11-2023 at 01:07 PM.
MBArizona (10-12-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 02:20 PM
SPONSOR

Received 809 Likes on 626 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by vincheung
I have a c4 unit and I've had my w222 s63 ILS+ coded in by benz ninja (along with other coding features). I'll be in touch with him again in the next few weeks regarding some other w222 features I was interested in adding/changing. At the same time I will be discussing coding options for our GLE w/ headlight features at the top of the list. Will keep everyone updated.
Thank you
vincheung (10-11-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 11:26 AM

Received 184 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by djer
Thanks for carrying the torch for us, unfortunate that they still have two different hardware parts for this. I suppose when they planned the facelift was the time where the regulation was just right before its sunrise, so they kept the two part numbers. Also seems like the cornering lights has to be certain vertical distance from the ground (according to the regulations) and the GLE is a touch too high.

Anyone with the facelifted GLE with the Pinnacle trim with LED Intelligent Light System can confirm if the anti-dazzle is enabled from the factory? The explanation in the build guide is rather vague: "Active Curve Illumination and Adaptive Highbeam Assist continuously adjust the beam pattern of the 84 LEDs in each headlamp to help maximize the illumination of corners and straightaways, without creating glare for other drivers."

For those who are interested in the headlight setup, here's the thread for the pre-facelifted headlight journey.
I have a 2022 GLE450 with ILS and 84 LEDs (DA4). If what you are referring to as "anti-dazzle" causes LEDs to dim or turn off to not create glare for other drivers (also described as black box around other vehicles), then the answer is NO. These were not enabled by the factory; even though MB up-charged me for them. I had them coded by @rjautomotive . However, there is no cornering light hardware installed.
MBArizona (10-12-2023)