GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 GLE Multibeam LED issues!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLE450
2020 GLE Multibeam LED issues!

Hi, I have the 2020 GLE, and nobody at my Mercedes Benz dealership cannot explain exactly what functions do I have in my Miltibeam LEDs! I know that some of the capabilities are not available in the US. The only feature that I have is the auto switching between high and normal beams. I am sure that i need to have the turning function as well. When you turn the wheel, the beams need to turn as well in the turns! Well I don’t have that function, I went to my dealership and left the car for them to fix it, and they told that they updated something I now i have the turning function. Well, the Multibeams are not turning again. They said they fixed it. So, mu question is, do I have the turning function or not?

Last edited by AlexDimitrov; 01-11-2021 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by AlexDimitrov
Hi, I have the 2020 GLE, and nobody at my Mercedes Benz dealership cannot explain exactly what functions do I have in my Miltibeam LEDs! I know that some of the capabilities are not available in the US. The only feature that I have is the auto switching between high and normal beams. I am sure that i need to have the turning function as well. When you turn the wheel, the beams need to turn as well in the turns! Well I don’t have that function, I went to my dealership and left the car for them to fix it, and they told that they updated something I now i have the turning function. Well, the Multibeams are not turning again. They said they fixed it. So, mu question is, do I have the turning function or not?
The headlight doesn’t turn but the illumination does...you don’t see it like when the whole light pivots. Also the roadside barrow put is better illuminated so that any animals or people are easier to see. The new lights can blank out or illuminate an area (more effective), rather than turn the light.
The following users liked this post:
AlexDimitrov (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 11:51 PM

2020 GLE450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
The headlight doesn’t turn but the illumination does...you don’t see it like when the whole light pivots. Also the roadside barrow put is better illuminated so that any animals or people are easier to see. The new lights can blank out or illuminate an area (more effective), rather than turn the light.

Are you sure!! If it is like you say it, that’s good. But I really don’t see anything. When I drive on a curvy road, and take a turn the light beam doesn’t seem to go into the curve , but rather stays forward.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
V167
Are you sure!! If it is like you say it, that’s good. But I really don’t see anything. When I drive on a curvy road, and take a turn the light beam doesn’t seem to go into the curve , but rather stays forward.
look it up on youtube.

AlexDimitrov (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Multibeam LED headlight features

In addition to High Beam Assist Plus, you have Ultra Range high beams which have greater range than the standard units.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:46 PM

2020 GLE450
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
In addition to High Beam Assist Plus, you have Ultra Range high beams which have greater range than the standard units.
. Ok, but what about the active assist, when you are making a turn?
Old 01-12-2021, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Active High Beam Assist

Yes, it cannot see around corners, or see that approaching car on the other side of the hill until it crests and you blind it for a second. You still have to manually override sometimes, so some may say "what's the point?".
Old 01-12-2021, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
In addition to reacting to input from your steering wheel / speed, I think the curve function is active via GPS, IF you are on Cruise and you have Active Route Guidance (ARGhh) enabled. Then it will anticipate an upcoming curve and bend the light in the direction of the upcoming curve. It's somewhat distracting although it may be my imagination because I am fighting ARGhh for control.

I really dislike Active Route Guidance because it slows WAY TOO MUCH for that upcoming corner, just when you are preparing to enjoy some nice cornering prowess.
Same with Active Traffic Sign Assist. If there is somebody behind you, or if it misinterprets a sign on an adjacent roadway, it'll brake-check the driver behind you.

Those are both part of my start up ritual. Start, fasten seat belts, disable ARGhh and ATSA, select drive mode, and drive away. I think I could assign those menu items to Favorites (the Star) but I haven't done that yet.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:12 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
I was able to clarify a few things (US Market GLE):

- Cornering Lights seems to be disabled on the 2021 GLE. To clarify, "Cornering Lights" is where additional light turns on, e.g. fog light or another bulb within the headlight or both, when the turn signal is switched on, or the steering wheel is turned, up to certain speed e.g. 25mph. The older GLE W166 had a cornering light within the headlight for markets outside the US (at least that's what I know, for US market maybe check here: https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...ng-lights.html). BMW's and VW's also have these cornering light function (my MK6 Golf TDI has it and I'm very familiar with it). You can tell they're there since it lights up pretty significant area on the side of the car when enabled. I have not seen any perceived difference when turning with the GLE that makes me think Cornering Light is enabled, either by illuminating a few of the 84 LED's or additional light within the headlight assembly that turns on when the requirement is met.

Some helpful video:

- Adaptive Light seems to be working on 2021 GLE. By definition adaptive light is where the low-beam turns with the steering wheel as you go around a bend / curve, typically works at all speed. At a full stop, some manufacturer disables it (Volvo, VW), others enable it and you can tell the low-beam moves when turning the steering wheel (BMW). Initially I thought this was not working on the GLE also, but I had a moment to prove this. A couple days ago it was very foggy here up in the PNW, and I took the GLE out on a drive. You can see the light rays within the fog, and they definitely turn with the steering wheel. It's just harder to tell, since the cutoff pattern is completely straight, and you basically have two light sources from one headlight (turn on your low beam, go out, and you'll see both "projectors" light up even on low beam, or park real close to a wall and you'll see a total of four light projections). On my VW it's easier to tell since the cutoff angles up toward the passenger side curb, and theres' only one light projection per headlight side.

This is ideal
which obviously we don't have in the US market. Watch how the light "boxes" the car in front to not glare them, and you still get a significant light on the side

The following 2 users liked this post by djer:
AlexDimitrov (01-12-2021), MBArizona (10-10-2023)
Old 01-12-2021, 06:39 PM

2020 GLE450
Originally Posted by djer
I was able to clarify a few things (US Market GLE):

- Cornering Lights seems to be disabled on the 2021 GLE. To clarify, "Cornering Lights" is where additional light turns on, e.g. fog light or another bulb within the headlight or both, when the turn signal is switched on, or the steering wheel is turned, up to certain speed e.g. 25mph. The older GLE W166 had a cornering light within the headlight for markets outside the US (at least that's what I know, for US market maybe check here: https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...ng-lights.html). BMW's and VW's also have these cornering light function (my MK6 Golf TDI has it and I'm very familiar with it). You can tell they're there since it lights up pretty significant area on the side of the car when enabled. I have not seen any perceived difference when turning with the GLE that makes me think Cornering Light is enabled, either by illuminating a few of the 84 LED's or additional light within the headlight assembly that turns on when the requirement is met.

Some helpful video:
https://youtu.be/Nw91uAGFEO0?t=157

- Adaptive Light seems to be working on 2021 GLE. By definition adaptive light is where the low-beam turns with the steering wheel as you go around a bend / curve, typically works at all speed. At a full stop, some manufacturer disables it (Volvo, VW), others enable it and you can tell the low-beam moves when turning the steering wheel (BMW). Initially I thought this was not working on the GLE also, but I had a moment to prove this. A couple days ago it was very foggy here up in the PNW, and I took the GLE out on a drive. You can see the light rays within the fog, and they definitely turn with the steering wheel. It's just harder to tell, since the cutoff pattern is completely straight, and you basically have two light sources from one headlight (turn on your low beam, go out, and you'll see both "projectors" light up even on low beam, or park real close to a wall and you'll see a total of four light projections). On my VW it's easier to tell since the cutoff angles up toward the passenger side curb, and theres' only one light projection per headlight side.

This is ideal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y50gupPhs4Y which obviously we don't have in the US market. Watch how the light "boxes" the car in front to not glare them, and you still get a significant light on the side

Thank you so much!! I will wait for fog, and I will try. I am seriously thinking if not to by one of those Multibeam activators. They says it will unlock all the functions of the Multibeams. What do you think about that? Have you heard of those activatoars?
Old 01-12-2021, 07:06 PM

GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
Yeah, more info here https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...activator.html

Personally I'd rather have access to the back-end (something similar to VAG-COM/VCDS in the VW world or E-sys/ISTA in BMW, where you're in control), versus flashing. I'm not familiar with M-B yet so I'm not ready to plug in something I'm not familiar with, though most people in that thread have reported success.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E300 GLE350
I have a 2020 GLE and lights are not the same as my 2018 E300. The E300 has cornering lights that you can really notice. The new GLE lights don't corner like that. Barely noticable. I installed Vladimirs IHC + multibeam on both my cars. Now I get full multi beam function. But still the GLE lights don't light up side of vehicle when turning. What a difference having the true intelligent light system. Most people in USA don't realize they don't get the true function of the option they pay for.
jbizios (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by Mcar04
I
Now I get full multi beam function. But still the GLE lights don't light up side of vehicle when turning..
You say you now get full multibeam function but then you say it doesn't light up side when turning. ...so it's not full function!!
Old 01-22-2021, 06:23 PM

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
GLE 350, C300, GLC 300
The issue is that the implementation of the cornering lights in the GLE350 (with the software update) is WAY too subtle and hard to detect. The LEDs change, but since the housing doesn't move it's not really that noticeable or useful.

But, the Advanced Multibeam Lighting is really a great feature and worth the update, IMHO.
Mcar04 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 08:47 PM

E300 GLE350
Originally Posted by decorily
You say you now get full multibeam function but then you say it doesn't light up side when turning. ...so it's not full function!!
it is full function. The GLE lights do not illuminate like the E300 on turns. Different design on lights. Not sure why Mercedes changed the design. Highway driving is the same. High beams stay on and dips to oncoming traffic while cars in front are boxed out while high beam projects around car ahead.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:10 PM

GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
I was curious if the cornering light is built into the LED matrix, so the furthermost beam lights up toward the direction the car is going to illuminate the approaching side. The ultra-wide high beam looks to be wide enough to cover area perpendicular to the front end. Is that correct?

Wish someone can just slap a GoPro on their headlight and a dashcam, then match up the drives to see how it really works.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by Mcar04
it is full function. The GLE lights do not illuminate like the E300 on turns. Different design on lights. Not sure why Mercedes changed the design. Highway driving is the same. High beams stay on and dips to oncoming traffic while cars in front are boxed out while high beam projects around car ahead.

OK. ...don't have a GLE but my GLC multibeams light up to the sides under certain cornering conditions. I would have presumed the GLE system would be similar.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:17 PM

E300 GLE350
Originally Posted by decorily
OK. ...don't have a GLE but my GLC multibeams light up to the sides under certain cornering conditions. I would have presumed the GLE system would be similar.
My E300 lights up on each side the steering wheel is turned or if turn signal is on. My GLE does not do that. Don't know why. Even after upgrading software to full multi beam function it still does not light up side of vehicle like the E300. Figured a 2020 would have the same or better lighting than a 2018? Can't figure Mercedes?
Old 01-23-2021, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
A quick check shows that the Euro GLE multibeams should in fact be exactly the same as the GLC multibeams which do, as I've stated, light up the sides.
So maybe this 'upgrade ' you purchased doesn’t actually give you full functionality.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:21 PM

GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
I took a look extensively on some euro model GLE's with MultiBeam LED, like this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-2020...e/174068156188, or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...t/143804154339, or https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...-/324311126412, and comparing it with the US model.

First of all, no amber reflector on the end.

Second, the cornering light reflector portion seems to be deleted in the US model (circled)

European:

You can tell there is a reflector in there. In W166's or the E-class posted by Mcar04 I can bet this is where the cornering lights come from.

Now the US (you can also go out and take a look at your GLE's):

It's just a panel covering it.

Anyone with the mod willing to pony up the extra $$$$$$ to get the European version headlights?
TempeAndy (01-26-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 03:26 PM

E300 GLE350
IHC+ Multibeam module

Thank you so much!! I will wait for fog, and I will try. I am seriously thinking if not to by one of those Multibeam activators. They says it will unlock all the functions of the Multibeams. What do you think about that? Have you heard of those activatoars?
I installed the software on my E300 and my 2020 GLE. Works great. Just not happy that my 2020 GLE does not light up side of vehicle on turns like my 2018 E 300.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
So it is a physical difference between the NA GLE and the ROW GLE lamp assemblies, so no amount of software will give cornering lights if the hardware is not there.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:08 PM

GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
I think so, if anyone over the other side of the pond can confirm, that'll be great.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:56 AM

E300 GLE350
Multi beam

Originally Posted by djer
I took a look extensively on some euro model GLE's with MultiBeam LED, like this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-2020...e/174068156188, or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...t/143804154339, or https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...-/324311126412, and comparing it with the US model.

First of all, no amber reflector on the end.

Second, the cornering light reflector portion seems to be deleted in the US model (circled)

European:

You can tell there is a reflector in there. In W166's or the E-class posted by Mcar04 I can bet this is where the cornering lights come from.

Now the US (you can also go out and take a look at your GLE's):

It's just a panel covering it.

Anyone with the mod willing to pony up the extra $$$$$$ to get the European version headlights?
wonder if you can buy the reflector and install in US light?🤔
Old 01-26-2021, 02:01 PM

Received 343 Likes on 183 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4matic

I took a close up of the area you have circled. That square part with three horizontal lines is in fact a lens not a cover. There may be some software limitations but at least in my case, no hardware omissions. I have a 2020 GLE 350 purchased in the peoples republic of Pennsylvania.

Last edited by Lucky 777; 01-26-2021 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo
Mcar04 (01-26-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2020 GLE Multibeam LED issues!