Buyback Experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE 350
Buyback Experience?

Good morning
I purchased a 2024 GLE in August. 2 weeks after purchase I got an alert and told to service immediately and car began to overheat. Took it in immediately. Service department stated I had a faulty pump and it caused coolant to leak into my electrical system. They allegedly fixed it a month later and I got my car back mid Sept. Not even a week later same issue happened. This time the fans were still going for quite some time after the car was turned off. I haven’t had my car back since. After lots of back and forth with Mercedes. It was an absolute nightmare. My executive referral manager NEVER called me back to update nor answer when I’d call. Last time I spoke to him he had the audacity to ask me not to call anymore. I have made three payments on a vehicle I drove for about 2 weeks. Fast forward to a few days ago… the dealership called me and said Mercedes is doing a buyback of the vehicle. (I did mention the Texas Lemon Law last time I spoke with them) he stated Sedgwick would be calling me within a week. Can someone please share your experience with doing a buyback? Anything I should look out for? Does this mean I can go out and get a completely new vehicle? I’m kinda scarred from Mercedes now and would like to stay away completely.
I appreciate any feedback and advice.

Last edited by cschneider23; 11-25-2023 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Welcome! Sorry to hear about the experience. The current GLE version has sadly seen many problems like the one you describe.

Try posting in the V167 section of the site. There are many owners with buyback experience who can share their views and suggestions.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE 350
Originally Posted by chassis
Welcome! Sorry to hear about the experience. The current GLE version has sadly seen many problems like the one you describe.

Try posting in the V167 section of the site. There are many owners with buyback experience who can share their views and suggestions.

thank you. I’m new to this and I will definitely post there.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 708 Likes on 680 Posts
2013 C204 C250 Coupe
Hi @cschneider23 and welcome to the club. Sorry to hear about your issues. Hope they get resolved soon 👍
Old 11-26-2023, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to V167 forum...
Old 11-26-2023, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by cschneider23
Good morning
I purchased a 2024 GLE in August. 2 weeks after purchase I got an alert and told to service immediately and car began to overheat. Took it in immediately. Service department stated I had a faulty pump and it caused coolant to leak into my electrical system. They allegedly fixed it a month later and I got my car back mid Sept. Not even a week later same issue happened. This time the fans were still going for quite some time after the car was turned off. I haven’t had my car back since. After lots of back and forth with Mercedes. It was an absolute nightmare. My executive referral manager NEVER called me back to update nor answer when I’d call. Last time I spoke to him he had the audacity to ask me not to call anymore. I have made three payments on a vehicle I drove for about 2 weeks. Fast forward to a few days ago… the dealership called me and said Mercedes is doing a buyback of the vehicle. (I did mention the Texas Lemon Law last time I spoke with them) he stated Sedgwick would be calling me within a week. Can someone please share your experience with doing a buyback? Anything I should look out for? Does this mean I can go out and get a completely new vehicle? I’m kinda scarred from Mercedes now and would like to stay away completely.
I appreciate any feedback and advice.
I just finished two buybacks last week, a Porsche Cayenne GTS and a GMC Canyon Denali. One repurchase in a lifetime would be an exception, I got unlucky. I don’t think any brand of vehicle is safe today. Too many of the components are provided by third parties. Shortages of components might equal “haste makes waste” as the saying goes.

Both of mine drug on for 3-4 months but yours should move faster since they have already agreed on the repurchase. It took Porsche 3 weeks after everything was completed to send a package to the Dealer along with the check. GM took about 2 weeks. Mine did not involve a lender so that may be a factor. Having a third party handle the Repurchase almost guarantees that it will move slow. There is some back and forth communication with the Manufacturer during the process. Both set up the “handover” with the Service Manager and tasked them with vehicle inspection and paperwork.
Both GM and Porsche asked for copies of all parties on the title drivers licenses; title front & back; signed purchase receipt. If you haven’t been asked yet you probably will need to furnish those.

You should insist on a loaner or rental vehicle if your Merc is still in the shop..
mikapen (11-27-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 12:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 MB GLC300 & 2020 GLE350
Consider yourself lucky...VERY lucky that MBUSA has agreed to a buyback! They ignored several detailed letters from us requesting a buyback and I was forced to seek the advice of counsel and pursue the Lemon Law. The surrender was painless and took about 15 minutes and counsel had our proceeds check waiting for us, Our proceeds check includes all taxes and fees paid at purchase. And the good news....MBUSA paid our attorneys fees approaching TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!
chassis (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 10:40 PM

Received 91 Likes on 52 Posts
GLS450 (2024), C300 (2023), EQE350+ (2024)
Back in 2020, MBUSA (or MBFS, not sure which one handled the actual transaction) bought back my GLS which developed issues in the first week of ownership and spent a few weeks at the dealership, when they notified me that the repair would take a few months. It was a straightforward transaction. I met the rep from the buyback company at the dealership where the car was being kept. She had some paperwork for me to sign (nothing out of ordinary in the documents) and they made sure I returned the 2nd key (first one was already there) and picked up my items from the car. A few days later I received the check for my drive-offs (first month lease payment, title/registration, destination fee, etc) and my 2nd month lease payment (which I had paid by then) plus another check for my multi security deposit. So I ended up paying $0 out of pocket while I had the loaner for free for 5-6 weeks (a nicely equipped large SUV). Since they give you your money back, you can do whatever you want and won't have to buy another Mercedes, but as I wanted to get another GLS, I had to do all the negotiations from the scratch, so that was the only negative for me.
I believe there is a formula they use to calculate how much they will give back to you for cars that have been driven for longer time, but my guess is that as long is the issue developed within the first month or so, you should get 100% back.
The only thing to keep in mind is that the car will be your liability until you sign the paperwork and the buyback is completed, so make sure to maintain your insurance coverage on it. Good luck!
mikapen (11-27-2023)
Old 03-13-2024, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC
2024 glc300 many issues

Hello, I do hope you all get your items resolved. I too experienced a engine overheating issue with the fan running non-stop and eventually stopped. Then after that weeks later I got multiple warning messages saying do not put it in park do not drive it but the car would not even start anyway. I took it to the dealership they did some software updates, a month later same thing happened with different messages. Took it back to the dealer they did a 17 module update. A month later it happened again, took it to the dealer they did some more module updates. No doubt this will happen again as I am not a stranger to parasitic software chip issues. So I did Open a claim to the manufacturer requesting a buyback. The car to date has 2,000 mi on it. I'm hoping this goes smoothly as I have attorneys waiting chomping at the bit right now to put a lemon law stigma against this car.
I am here to say that I have talked to many Mercedes-Benz owners with 23 and 24 models that have experience similar issues.. Just my two cents.

Last edited by RA040624; 03-13-2024 at 01:36 PM.