Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
OEM roof rail crossbar mounting

Originally Posted by Angelaboston
I can't believe nobody mentioned this. The instructions for the Mercedes crossbars for the W167 (for me, a 2024 GLE 450e) say to put the center of the rear crossbar at 28 inches from the back end of the rail. This puts it dead on the mounting post for the side rail. It can't hang on there because the crossbar clip cannot grab the rail. The crossbar will fit forward of that, but not aft of that because the distance between the rails tapers as you go back. What did you do? So far, I mounted it forward of the side rail post. I guess that's OK.
You must have different instructions than came with mine (2018/07 date). Mine shows the front crossbar back 18.1" to center from front of siderail, and 28.5" to the back one. that puts the rear one forward of the support you mention.

Old Today, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2024 GLE 450e
OMG You are absolutely right. I need to learn how to read. I'm an engineer so I got no excuse. Huge thanks for your quick reply and clarification.

I mounted them at 29" to get a little more span.

Having said all this, I wish there was more use of the full rail. 28" isn't much of a span for a rack.

Your rig looks great. Have you considered load stops or at least tie down rings to work with those T-slot crossbars?
Old Today, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Modifying crossbar

Also, to answer(?) a question. They put rubber bumpers on the front (only) crossbar SPECIFICALLY to stop you from sliding back the sunroof. I wonder why? Anyone try reversing the front and rear crossbars to defeat this? (I doubt they would be the right lengths, but I don't know.)
You got me curious, and here's an easier solution. You can knock them off easily with a hammer (place one end on floor and beat down on the rubber piece). This is what the result looks like. I have not tried them on the car yet.

Old Today, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OMG You are absolutely right. I need to learn how to read. I'm an engineer so I got no excuse. Huge thanks for your quick reply and clarification.

I mounted them at 29" to get a little more span.

Having said all this, I wish there was more use of the full rail. 28" isn't much of a span for a rack.

Your rig looks great. Have you considered load stops or at least tie down rings to work with those T-slot crossbars?
Thanks - I did install these stirrup-shaped brackets on the underside as extra tie off points.